Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a supervillain in the animated series? The hammer hand dude fighting with the "African" prince guy and the lady.

Can't remember who was the villain, just that the kid was pretty awesome. I dunno if it was a typical "heroes meet up and try to kick each other's asses before realizing they are all good guys" or if there was a legit villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wasn't there a supervillain in the animated series? The hammer hand dude fighting with the "African" prince guy and the lady.

Can't remember who was the villain, just that the kid was pretty awesome. I dunno if it was a typical "heroes meet up and try to kick each other's asses before realizing they are all good guys" or if there was a legit villain.

Yeah, the kid wanted to get her parents back together by recreating their first team-up fight, so she got the hammer dude to pick a fight. Things went horribly wrong for him.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Sure, there's always the potential threat of "play along or Homelander murders you", but I'd expect somebody like Edgar would consider that too unreliable and brute-force.

Brute force sure, but I don't see so many problems with the reliability aspect

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Homelander is the supervillain tho.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the supervillian is jeff bezos

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Real villains drive yachts.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

roomtone posted:

homelander's invincibility has always just been taken as an absolute on the show so far, with this possible superweapon as the only caveat. i think it's weird how they've never had characters at least ask things like whether he needs to breathe. he refers to going to space, so i suppose not, but they don't seem to think outside the box in terms of how they could handle him. if everything has been tried and failed, they should say so on the show, because nobody has ever tried at all. he eats and drinks, right? i don't remember him ever doing it, but they could try drugging his food to knock him out and then drown him. probably wouldn't work but it could have been tried.

I do think the show has been doing a lot of telling rather than showing when it comes to him being SO FAR above the other supes that he has potentially Godlike power.

OK, so everyone is terrified of him. And he apparently ripped apart Supersonic easily enough, although we don't know how strong Supersonic was.

He's just so untested otherwise though. Even his main power, the laser eyes, are now shared by Butcher and the laser-baby. And Stormfront could even tank his eyebeams for a while. It'd just be nice to see him properly cut loose with his super-speed or something to back up his grandiose claims about destroying cities. Go full Irredeemable and show just how unfair fighting Superman would be.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

they splode home boy but it turns out he can regenerate from a single cell. BUT but Homelander knows what an rear end in a top hat he is so all the clones get stuck in an eternal fisticuffs like the end of Star Gate. Spoilers for Stargate SG1 sorry

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 hours!)

jabby posted:

I do think the show has been doing a lot of telling rather than showing when it comes to him being SO FAR above the other supes that he has potentially Godlike power.

OK, so everyone is terrified of him. And he apparently ripped apart Supersonic easily enough, although we don't know how strong Supersonic was.

He's just so untested otherwise though. Even his main power, the laser eyes, are now shared by Butcher and the laser-baby. And Stormfront could even tank his eyebeams for a while. It'd just be nice to see him properly cut loose with his super-speed or something to back up his grandiose claims about destroying cities. Go full Irredeemable and show just how unfair fighting Superman would be.

it'd be okay if all this was teasing to a confrontation where half the main cast gets instantly murdered and does zero damage, but they've already skipped to the ultra secret weapon which might actually work before doing that so it'd be weird. they'll have to come up with something clever for when soldier boy fails for it all to add up.

i don't really have confidence they know what they're doing overall with homelander, it's just a bunch of elements that are more or less working when put together. when they did that lasering a crowd fakeout i thought it was such a pointless gently caress up, cos it won't hit when he actually does and introduces 'we may be bullshitting you' to every surprising moment.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

roomtone posted:

it'd be okay if all this was teasing to a confrontation where half the main cast gets instantly murdered and does zero damage, but they've already skipped to the ultra secret weapon which might actually work before doing that so it'd be weird. they'll have to come up with something clever for when soldier boy fails for it all to add up.

i don't really have confidence they know what they're doing overall with homelander, it's just a bunch of elements that are more or less working when put together. when they did that lasering a crowd fakeout i thought it was such a pointless gently caress up, cos it won't hit when he actually does and introduces 'we may be bullshitting you' to every surprising moment.

Homelander was born with V powers, whereas Kimiko (and the other supes) were all injected as children. So the secret weapon power beam might not even work the same way on Homelander. Could just outright kill him since V is part of his DNA, could just make him slightly weaker and more vulnerable to damage but still a serious threat.

However it goes down I think only Hughie, Butcher, Starlight, and maybe Kimiko are guaranteed to walk away (for plot reasons). Everyone else is expendable.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

jabby posted:

It is weird how certain all of the characters seem of their relative durability, given how all over the place it seems to be:

Maeve smiles while an armored van pancaked into her, but being in a plane crash would kill her and she'd last "a second" against HL.

Butcher can punch Mesmer to death in a bathroom and Lamplighter is threatened by handguns, but Starlight walks off a 50 caliber bullet to the chest.

Black Noir was brutally injured in a warzone, but now cheerfully walks into bombs.

The only time I can remember a character seeming appropriately uncertain was when HL dared Neumann to give her power a whirl on him.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 hours!)

i think the black noir thing at least is going to be revealed to be due to whatever caused soldier boy's anti-supe beam.

as in he's normally invulnerable but that hosed him up and is why he has scars.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe he was exposed to peanuts at that war camp base outpost thingy :hmmyes:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Some supes get super-durability and some don't. I don't think Headpopper is tougher or stronger than a regular human. I wonder if there was someone who got A-Train's speed but not his strength, and splattered himself the first time he tripped on a curb.

Sab669 posted:

Maybe he was exposed to peanuts at that war camp base outpost thingy :hmmyes:

Tree nuts.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Chamale posted:

Some supes get super-durability and some don't. I don't think Headpopper is tougher or stronger than a regular human. I wonder if there was someone who got A-Train's speed but not his strength, and splattered himself the first time he tripped on a curb.

Tree nuts.

Isn't this more or less what happens to a lot of people in the comics?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Avasculous posted:

It is weird how certain all of the characters seem of their relative durability, given how all over the place it seems to be:

Maeve smiles while an armored van pancaked into her, but being in a plane crash would kill her and she'd last "a second" against HL.

Butcher can punch Mesmer to death in a bathroom and Lamplighter is threatened by handguns, but Starlight walks off a 50 caliber bullet to the chest.

Black Noir was brutally injured in a warzone, but now cheerfully walks into bombs.

The only time I can remember a character seeming appropriately uncertain was when HL dared Neumann to give her power a whirl on him.

In the comics it's a bit easier to get a rough hierarchy:

- Random low-level supe who got their powers from poo poo-quality street V - probably stronger and more durable than the average human, maybe bulletproof to small arms, lasts two seconds against anything else on this list. Also might just explode or have powers that kill themselves.

- Member of The Seven/One of The Boys - got the good V, can one-shot most random supes, only vulnerable to high-explosives or each other

- Homelander - on his own level, even the second-strongest supe can't put a scratch on him

roomtone posted:

Seeing Maeve training with her sword made me wonder if (comic spoilers) they're going to do the bit where she finally attacks him and he doesn't even flinch, just calls her a dumb bitch and punches her head off. It'd be a pretty effective way to poo poo on Starlight's "we can all attack him at once" plan.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 15, 2022

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

jabby posted:

In the comics it's a bit easier to get a rough hierarchy:

- Random low-level supe who got their powers from poo poo-quality street V - probably stronger and more durable than the average human, maybe bulletproof to small arms, lasts two seconds against anything else on this list. Also might just explode or have powers that kill themselves.

- Member of The Seven/One of The Boys - got the good V, can one-shot most random supes, only vulnerable to high-explosives or each other

- Homelander - on his own level, even the second-strongest supe can't put a scratch on him

Seeing Maeve training with her sword made me wonder if (comic spoilers) they're going to do the bit where she finally attacks him and he doesn't even flinch, just calls her a dumb bitch and punches her head off. It'd be a pretty effective way to poo poo on Starlight's "we can all attack him at once" plan.

“It’s a plastic sword” man they really did maeve dirty what with the sex photos/homelander twist and her death.

gently caress Garth ennis.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm expecting the quote to be "might as well be a plastic sword" before punching her head off

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm expecting the quote to be "might as well be a plastic sword" before punching her head off

I think the line is "It's a prop sword, you stupid...", meaning it's metal but just not meant to be a weapon. The fact that TV Maeve is trying to seriously train with her presumably Vaught-provided costume sword does make me worry for her...

On an unrelated note, Hughie is now gleefully getting high off the same drug that caused A-Train to splatter Robin because he was running under the influence. Anyone else think he's tempting fate for his own 'oops' moment?

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 15, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of a given that all the supes in the show know how tough they are, because they all have worked for Vought. I'm pretty sure they got tested and found out their limitations way before they got the custom made uniform and backstory worked up. I guess that's why Translucent was so cocky about the bomb not working, because he thought it'd fail just like all the other stuff had. Kinda doubt Vought shoved anything in his butt to test durability. Pretty sure the involuntarily retirement plan for the last few years at least has been "do what we tell you or Homelander throws you to the moon".

I think Noir got hosed up as badly as he did in that explosion in the past because you can see brain. That was back in 85-87 (at least here), so I'm pretty sure they've made a few advancements in body armor by the time we got to naqib? blowing him up. Maybe his healing over the years has toughened him up like a giant walking callus. Either way, his mask/cowl/helmet survived fine, just some body armor went poof.

The real mind bending moment is realizing that Black Noir is like ~60 years old. Pretty spry for an old guy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That's what I love about Black Noir, man.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Black Noir also had that whole thing about not wanting to wear the helmet anymore. And considering it’s pristine next to him after the firefight he never quite got it on. All the helmet technology in the world doesn’t do poo poo if you refuse to wear it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

It's kind of a given that all the supes in the show know how tough they are, because they all have worked for Vought. I'm pretty sure they got tested and found out their limitations way before they got the custom made uniform and backstory worked up. I guess that's why Translucent was so cocky about the bomb not working, because he thought it'd fail just like all the other stuff had. Kinda doubt Vought shoved anything in his butt to test durability. Pretty sure the involuntarily retirement plan for the last few years at least has been "do what we tell you or Homelander throws you to the moon".

I think Noir got hosed up as badly as he did in that explosion in the past because you can see brain. That was back in 85-87 (at least here), so I'm pretty sure they've made a few advancements in body armor by the time we got to naqib? blowing him up. Maybe his healing over the years has toughened him up like a giant walking callus. Either way, his mask/cowl/helmet survived fine, just some body armor went poof.

The real mind bending moment is realizing that Black Noir is like ~60 years old. Pretty spry for an old guy.

it's me, my day job is shoving bombs up supe asses

it's a living

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
The ol' Buttplug Bomber they call you

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Translucent was not at all cocky about the bomb. He begs them for his life when he finds out they put one in him.

He was cocky about Hughie not having it in him to detonate it

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

jabby posted:

I think the line is "It's a prop sword, you stupid...", meaning it's metal but just not meant to be a weapon. The fact that TV Maeve is trying to seriously train with her presumably Vaught-provided costume sword does make me worry for her...

Specifically, he says "metal prop". Which is yeah, you'd notice if it was steel or plastic without being an expert.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maeve’s line about “people think what I want them to think” makes me anticipate a fun switcheroo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Could you melt zinc into homelanders eyes

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do wonder if Starlight could generate a light so bright at point blank range that it burns out his corneas.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

eye laser can’t melt zinc beams

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wonder if Starlight could generate a light so bright at point blank range that it burns out his corneas.

I wonder if she would win if they fought inside an electrical substation, amplifying her powers greatly. Homelander might be wondering the same thing, and won't take the risk if he can avoid it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Homelander is a Superman analogue in that if sufficiently motivated he can solo anything short of actual deities.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just a hunch but I think the old strongest hero who also now has the power to negate supe abilities might be a factor in the attack on Homelander

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I almost wonder if (spoiler related to a comic plot adaptation)Herogasm is going to be Homelander gathering up all the worlds supes and blooding them into accepting regular humans as untermensch with documented depravity.

Herogasm Comic:

When I was first reading that I thought it was going to end more like 120 Days of Sodom, so going all the way there with the episode if Edgar isn't there to stop things would be... something.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Have we found out what soldier boys actor refused to film because it was too much?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVmySaqEESw

I am very glad they filmed all these extra things in their entirety.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Have we found out what soldier boys actor refused to film because it was too much?

it sounds like they filmed it but just not with the actor?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

tokin opposition posted:

microdosing V to improve my posting power

lazer you are monitor

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alan Smithee posted:

it sounds like they filmed it but just not with the actor?

It sounds like they got him to just nut up and do it, all the interviews were that he complained to Kripke, Kripke said LoL, and then one of the actors tells the same anecdote about how if someone thing makes you uncomfortable than Kripke will write it into the script.

Best I can tell he veto’d a specific sex position but otherwise the scene is unchanged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

It sounds like they got him to just nut up and do it, all the interviews were that he complained to Kripke, Kripke said LoL, and then one of the actors tells the same anecdote about how if someone thing makes you uncomfortable than Kripke will write it into the script.

Kripke worked with Jensen Ackles for 15 years on Supernatural. I can't see him deliberately pissing Ackles off that way, or not knowing what would make him uncomfortable already.