Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Inzombiac posted:

Anker makes really solid ones for 50 bux and are the only ones that stay in my ear. All others slide out, even with the right nubs.

Same, I think my ears are comically small because the Anker XS tips work but other brands' S tips don't.

And even the Anker ones feel a smidge too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Warbird posted:

Chiming in to say I have that Bellroy Slim that was shared and I’m quite fond of it. I usually keep it in my sling and not my pants so I can’t speak to the durability as much but I have no complaints. drat goony meat suit and it’s less than flattering appearance appearance with stuff in my pockets…

I also have had this wallet for years and do pocket carry. It’s held up totally fine.

Like it a lot.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm gonna be touristing in New York for 10 days in July, and I'm a big hot fat guy, there's gonna be a lot of sweating going on when we walk around and do things all day. What are some t-shirts or short sleeved shirts that will do the best job of trying to keep me cool and dry? I really like Nike Dri-Fit shirts when they are new, but they feel like they loose their effect after a few washes, and it's like walking around wearing a plastic bag.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

evobatman posted:

I'm gonna be touristing in New York for 10 days in July, and I'm a big hot fat guy, there's gonna be a lot of sweating going on when we walk around and do things all day. What are some t-shirts or short sleeved shirts that will do the best job of trying to keep me cool and dry? I really like Nike Dri-Fit shirts when they are new, but they feel like they loose their effect after a few washes, and it's like walking around wearing a plastic bag.

Hit up REI. Honestly the same principles that work when you’re a sweaty mess in the woods also work when you’re a sweaty mess in the city. Hiking clothes are made to wick moisture, dry quickly, and sometimes even make you stink less (and/or offer sun protection and/or bug protection and/or etc). The downside is that they tend to be expensive and not very durable.

Something like an REI Sahara tee base layer + button up thin overshirt. Maybe some Prana pants. Basically just avoid cotton.

E: giving this advice not as an outdoorsy type but rather as a big hot fat guy who just spent 2 weeks touristing in extremely hot central Italy. Jeans and cotton tees were miserable. REI and Prana and ExOfficio and Patagonia stuff was aces.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jun 11, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Patagonia pants are the tits and are super light/breathable, but they’re expensive af. Iirc a pair of their jogger styled ones and a similar one of a different brand we’re right at $200. Something similar could be found for a shirt but I’ve yet to come across anything that would be wearable around in public without looking a bit odd.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

What's the consensus on an electric trimmer that can handle both men's scruff (from 0.1 to 1.0 mm) as well as mowin' the lawn down there, if you know what I mean. I see the Phillips OneBlade which I've heard goons rave about in terms of clean shaves, but I keep a small amount of scruff year-round.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

null_pointer posted:

What's the consensus on an electric trimmer that can handle both men's scruff (from 0.1 to 1.0 mm) as well as mowin' the lawn down there, if you know what I mean. I see the Phillips OneBlade which I've heard goons rave about in terms of clean shaves, but I keep a small amount of scruff year-round.

OneBlade you can put guards on a OneBlade for longer lengths. Mine came with some, but I'm not sure if all do. If not I'm sure you can find a set on Amazon or something for a few bucks. The first link I Googled went down to 1mm.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have a "Balls" trimmer and really like it, but their blades are engineerd to fail after a certain usage time that is really short. The plastic has a weakpoint connected to the drive motor, the blade itself is still perfectly sharp at that point.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got this one after seeing lots of recommendations, it’s cheap and works well.

Philips Norelco Multigroomer All-in-One Trimmer Series 3000, 13 Piece Mens Grooming Kit, for Beard, Face, Nose, and Ear Hair Trimmer and Hair Clipper, NO Blade Oil Needed, MG3750/60 https://a.co/d/7q6Adga

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I have pretty sensitive skin, the only shaving tool that seems to both do a good job _and_ shave decently is the Gillette SkinGuard and the OneBlade.
The only knock on the OneBlade is that there's so many version for essentially the same razor with extra guards. I highly recommend it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Agree with the Oneblade, only electric one I've tried that can shave the closest without going full razor. I don't need it for down there though since I don't need a close shave - I use a Norelco body trimmer. Only downside is that the model I got the blades aren't replaceable.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Snowy posted:

I got this one after seeing lots of recommendations, it’s cheap and works well.

Philips Norelco Multigroomer All-in-One Trimmer Series 3000, 13 Piece Mens Grooming Kit, for Beard, Face, Nose, and Ear Hair Trimmer and Hair Clipper, NO Blade Oil Needed, MG3750/60 https://a.co/d/7q6Adga

This is what you want for anything other than a close shave, for me. I have both this and the OneBlade. The OneBlade is great for close shaves on the face, but I'd never use it without a guard down below, and it's much more cumbersome and slow to use when you have the guard / length attachment on the end. It basically just does very well at one thing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I shave my junk in the shower with a old fashioned safety razor.

Not a joke. It works super well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:getin:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lmao

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I use a safety razor, but I don't even have testicles and that's horrifying. Shaving my face without a mirror? I go by feel and the worst thing I get is nicks and abrasions. Shaving anywhere else I can't see clearly? Hell no.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Inzombiac posted:

I don't even want to know the mechanics of this. Why on earth would you need that close of a shave? I can't even use one of those on my neck without it being rash city.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

:same:

the constant stream of water works as a great lubricant

Glottis posted:

I don't even want to know the mechanics of this. Why on earth would you need that close of a shave? I can't even use one of those on my neck without it being rash city.

You just need more experience TBH. Safety razors take a little finesse, but you eventually get the hang of it. I shave my face 3 times a week and I don't get any rashes, and get a nick or two maybe once every other week.

I do think the key is you have to add it to your routine. In the past I was just shaving whenever I felt like it, and my face would get all rashed up and be in a constant state of being knicked.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Iron Crowned posted:

You just need more experience TBH. Safety razors take a little finesse, but you eventually get the hang of it. I shave my face 3 times a week and I don't get any rashes, and get a nick or two maybe once every other week.

I do think the key is you have to add it to your routine. In the past I was just shaving whenever I felt like it, and my face would get all rashed up and be in a constant state of being knicked.

You'd think so, but no. My neck skin is just plain too sensitive for a shave that close. I really tried everything, including just sucking it up and hoping my skin toughens up. Safety razors aren't for everyone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My problem with safety razors is that they don’t shave close enough, at least when I wield them. I have sparse, somewhat soft whiskers and no matter what blade exposure and angle and direction and prep I try it always leaves a lot behind. A 5-blade drugstore head does a great job, otoh.

Love the idea of safety razors, they just don’t seem to solve my problem.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Glottis posted:

lmao if you don't want buttery-smooth junk.

You think anyone putting their mouth on your balls wants a bunch of hair there? LoL

Also, stretch the skin a little and don't whack at it like a machete. It's super easy.

Subjunctive posted:

My problem with safety razors is that they don’t shave close enough, at least when I wield them. I have sparse, somewhat soft whiskers and no matter what blade exposure and angle and direction and prep I try it always leaves a lot behind. A 5-blade drugstore head does a great job, otoh.

Love the idea of safety razors, they just don’t seem to solve my problem.

Use a badger brush, shave once with the grain, once against the grain. Smooth perfection.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are there any off-brand SodaStreams? I've been drinking a lot of carbonated water lately and figured I'd start doing it cheaper, but I don't want to support that company.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like this thing https://leafshave.com it uses up to 2.5 razor blades.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lmao, the straight razor guys are back, and this time they want you to put your balls under the knife

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Duck and Cover posted:

I like this thing https://leafshave.com it uses up to 2.5 razor blades.

This looks intriguing. If there's discussion already in the wet shaving thread, I'll go there. Whats it like to shave with?

I have a heavy beard and am kind of in the boat that it takes quite a few passes with a saftey razor (Merkur) to get my face fully shaved. I actually do a pass with a Mach 3 afterwards, as I never get a real full complete smooth shave unless I dont - but I do like the saftey razor and price of blades and sustainability.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Inzombiac posted:

lmao if you don't want buttery-smooth junk.

You think anyone putting their mouth on your balls wants a bunch of hair there? LoL

"yeah sure I'll put your genitals in my mou WAIT IS THAT A HAIR? GROSSSS"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any off-brand SodaStreams? I've been drinking a lot of carbonated water lately and figured I'd start doing it cheaper, but I don't want to support that company.

If you already have a Sodastream (or just get a used one for pennies), you can get a SodaMod and get the bottles refilled at scuba shops for very cheap.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the OneBlade too small for my whole head?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

Is the OneBlade too small for my whole head?

I don't recommend shaving the tip of your penis.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

theflyingexecutive posted:

If you already have a Sodastream (or just get a used one for pennies), you can get a SodaMod and get the bottles refilled at scuba shops for very cheap.

I'm intrigued by this. The cost for sodastream tanks doesn't hurt us that much because we probably drink equal amounts of still water, but the idea of getting new tanks for that cheap definitely has my attention. Is there any noticeable taste difference?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Planet X posted:

This looks intriguing. If there's discussion already in the wet shaving thread, I'll go there. Whats it like to shave with?

I have a heavy beard and am kind of in the boat that it takes quite a few passes with a saftey razor (Merkur) to get my face fully shaved. I actually do a pass with a Mach 3 afterwards, as I never get a real full complete smooth shave unless I dont - but I do like the saftey razor and price of blades and sustainability.

As someone who can't be bothered to do the whole brush thing (I have in the past I'm lazy though) it's faster and I think gives me a better shave than I'd get from using a feather safety razor. You'll also definitely want the silicone grip thing you can buy for it if you use it in the shower as it's slippery when wet.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Jun 15, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theflyingexecutive posted:

Are scuba setups food-grade? I get my refills for my 10lb tank at a semi-nearby homebrew place. It’s a knock-off (which says you can use it on non-water) but I forget the brand and I’m already in bed.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I would assume that if it’s safe to breathe it, it’s safe to drink it, but I honestly have no idea.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Are scuba setups food-grade? I get my refills for my 10lb tank at a semi-nearby homebrew place. It’s a knock-off (which says you can use it on non-water) but I forget the brand and I’m already in bed.

Yeah that's my concern every time I've looked into this. If you don't get foodgrade C02 you risk getting benzene in your water.

If there's a place that supplies hobbyist beer brewers near you though, you might be able to get foodgrade C02 there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah that's my concern every time I've looked into this. If you don't get foodgrade C02 you risk getting benzene in your water.

If there's a place that supplies hobbyist beer brewers near you though, you might be able to get foodgrade C02 there.

Restaurant supply. Co2 required for any soda fountain.

Might not be as cheap and may only fill large tanks, but it’s as food grade as it gets.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wtf do you need a C02 tank for just get a straw a blow bubbles like an adult

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
CO2 refills at a scuba shop may or may not be food grade, you'd need to check. They stock it for hobbyist stuff like paintball guns and whatnot, not for breathing, because that would be bad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inzombiac posted:

Use a badger brush, shave once with the grain, once against the grain. Smooth perfection.

I don’t remember what my brush is made of, but I will try again with that approach this weekend, just for you.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a portable outdoor bluetooth speaker?

Doesnt need to be fancy my outside space isnt huge more worried about weather proofing when i forget its out there and dont bring it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just drink liquor, you don't need bubbles for that