Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3070 has been at $599 for two or three weeks now. We're almost due for another price cut.

There's some expectation that Nvidia may cut prices in the final months leading up to the 40-series launch. Their board partners are reportedly unhappy with how much inventory they're expected to move these next few months, and it's going to take some further price cuts.

Prices are apparently still really high in the parts of the world where nvidia and their board partners have less control over the distributors and retailers (which is most of the eastern hemisphere). I don't know how they're going to move any inventory in those markets where everyone is still price gouging.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I desperately need a new gaming computer but I'm a clueless rear end in a top hat regarding hardware beyond the most basic stuff, so I was planning on getting a pre-built, but my go-to local computer store seems to be out of commission for the foreseeable future. Anyone know of any good online deals (up to $2000) that would deliver to BC, Canada? I don't really have any specific needs or wants in mind, I just need something that isn't slamming against the wall of next-gen game requirements :v:

Memory Express or Canada Computers

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canada Computers has some prebuilts with decent specs in the $1800 CAD range, but I don't know how much I trust this "Armoury" brand (is it an in-house brand?). It's all in-store only though, so if you live out somewhere without a local store, then you're SOL.

Memory Express' prebuilts seem more expensive, but they have an online custom build thing, though it's probably hard to use if you don't know anything about hardware. For $2k CAD, you should probably looking for something with an RTX 3070 and an i5-12600K. e.g.:

Buy the OS from SA-Mart if you need to (windows keys go for $15 USD there)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Canada Computers has some prebuilts with decent specs in the $1800 CAD range, but I don't know how much I trust this "Armoury" brand (is it an in-house brand?). It's all in-store only though, so if you live out somewhere without a local store, then you're SOL.

Memory Express' prebuilts seem more expensive, but they have an online custom build thing, though it's probably hard to use if you don't know anything about hardware. For $2k CAD, you should probably looking for something with an RTX 3070 and an i5-12600K. e.g.:

Buy the OS from SA-Mart if you need to (windows keys go for $15 USD there)

Sadly there is not a Canada Computers anywhere nearby :( That Memory Express build looks lovely though, thank you!

e: if one were to buy the OS key from SA-Mart, how would you actually go about installing it onto a new system? Would I need to load it onto USB or something?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Sadly there is not a Canada Computers anywhere nearby :( That Memory Express build looks lovely though, thank you!

e: if one were to buy the OS key from SA-Mart, how would you actually go about installing it onto a new system? Would I need to load it onto USB or something?

Yeah, Microsoft provides installers you can download and load onto a USB stick, and then you input your key during installation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 14, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sometimes cheap keys aren't accepted by the installer, depending on where they're sourced from, but in that case you just install without a key (so it goes into trial mode) then activate afterwards

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Perfect! I'm glad I asked then cause I don't currently have a flash drive large enough for Windows, so I'll need to source that in the meantime :v: Thanks for your help y'all!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just wanted to confirm that my build finally (appears to) work in all respects and I am now posting from it :) Thanks for all your help, guys!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it worth it to jump to a DDR5 compatible motherboard or can I save the cash on a DDR4 board and not lose out on much if I'm building specifically for gaming?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

There are some things that benefit from fast DDR5 at present. Most people probably would not notice the difference in practice between good DDR4 and DDR5, though. For gaming, it's basically a non-issue. For music production, most things don't benefit but heavy use of samplers (and I do mean heavy, talking thousand-plus voice polyphony) does. For productivity use, I understand Adobe might benefit directly. However most things it's neck-and-neck performance (for example, I use DDR4 3600 with 16-18-18-36 timings, T1 command rate, Gear 1 to strap memory controller to memory frequency, and my benchmark scores are comparable to DDR5 systems in reviews that I've read). Given that I do music production with my comp but I don't use absolute shitloads of samples like a cinematic composer might, for me the savings for DDR4 and the ability to actually use high capacities despite Alder Lake's kind of weak IMC was a deciding factor. I've got 64GB in there now and intend to expand that which is doable with DDR4 - DDR5 can only run two sticks stably, and 32GB sticks of DDR5 are pretty high priced anyway.

Now, if you intend to try to prepare for the future a bit more, might be a case to go with DDR5 even if you're not necessarily using anything right now that strongly benefits from it. If for example you want to leave the option open to install a Gen 13 Intel CPU in its place in the future, you'd probably want to go with DDR5. However, I think/IMO current gen motherboard memory traces are probably not optimal anyway and I personally feel that when I upgrade to DDR5 it'll be worth a whole platform refresh at that time to take advantage of the advanced features that a motherboard made for Alder Lake will not at that point have anyway.

Eventually DDR5 will just plainly dominate DDR4 in performance and the IMCs will be great and the motherboards will be great and we won't have these kinds of talks anymore. It's pretty normal for the first systems after a DDR generation introduction to not benefit from the new gen yet in most cases.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 15, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Then maybe I'll stick to DDR4 for now and save a few hundred bucks on my upgrade. I'm running a high refresh 1080p monitor so I'd probably be doing overkill for futureproofing otherwise.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This consolidated list of PSU reviews might be useful reference.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

uhm, question. What are the rules about posting regarding help in financial support for a new PC? I already know what I want to build, but I don't want to break a rule or whatnot in posting a link to my GoFundMe if that's frowned upon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still attempting to use my old SSD in this new build, but literally did the "googling how long echidnas live" meme but for SSDs instead and decided I should probably upgrade that too since the old one is seven years old and had to be formatted anyway. Never used one of these M.2 thingies, hoping it's straightforward!

also my external HD has literally been in use since I was in grad school like 12 loving years ago and somehow hasn't keeled over yet but I think I'm just gonna quietly use this new SSD to back up all the poo poo on it too just in case

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
get a little external 2.5 SSD cradle, they're very inexpensive (like 5-10 bucks about?) and revive that SSD as a speedy external drive. SSD longevity is very deceptive because it wears with use and most people do not come anywhere near the conditions they test for in the timeframes they test at, so say an OS drive going the distance for a long long time is far from unusual. unless they've been fried by bad electrical problems i mean, as they might have in this instance.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Decided to go the build route, would appreciate some input (USA):

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3WyVBj

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($193.95 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($138.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Adorama)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($429.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1220.87

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
overall looks pretty good. you could go cheaper on the SSD - a gen 3 cheap drive like the sn550 or 570 will perform almost exactly the same in gaming loads, and if you wanted higher end i'd suggest getting a gen 4 drive since i think your mobo is capable of gen 4. big price hike tho, and again not a ton more performance.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'd probably go a little higher on the PSU personally, i'm at 650 and looking at next gen with trepidation since wattage is going up up up. up to you tho.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Nodosaur posted:

uhm, question. What are the rules about posting regarding help in financial support for a new PC? I already know what I want to build, but I don't want to break a rule or whatnot in posting a link to my GoFundMe if that's frowned upon.

Nodosaur posted:

so I caved and bought TVC ROS Rey on ebay. It was 67 dollars, but I needed to have Rey with all her stuff. She's my favorite Star Wars character not named Cad Bane.

Naw

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CoolCab posted:

i'd probably go a little higher on the PSU personally, i'm at 650 and looking at next gen with trepidation since wattage is going up up up. up to you tho.

Thanks, I decided to bump up to the 650 since it was only $5 more.

Might look at the SSD again but I'm largely around where I want to be in budget. I appreciate the look :)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah for sure. The PSU is incredibly annoying to upgrade later so paying an extra 20 bucks up front to avoid that possibility could be wise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What point are you trying to make? Because one action figure I splurged on doesn’t mean I have a ton of money.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

What point are you trying to make? Because one action figure I splurged on doesn’t mean I have a ton of money.

I think his point was that posting a gofundme to build a pricey PC might indeed be frowned upon in a thread where people are trying to achieve good value on their own builds because of their own financial constraints, stated or otherwise, plus posters might look at your post history if they're so inclined and raise an eyebrow at luxury spending while asking for financial help. Not trying to poo poo on you man, I wish you luck in getting a build together.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess I could understand that. That being said, I legit do need a new computer, as my old one is probably dead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nodosaur posted:

I guess I could understand that. That being said, I legit do need a new computer, as my old one is probably dead.

Better get saving.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Sanctum posted:

I'd rather spend $1k on a sensible mid-range PC every 5 years than blow $4k on something high end.

4 years ago a GTX 1070 Ti 8GB cost me $320 so I'm not sure where the sensible mid-range is anymore. :ohdear: In the $2k range am I still looking at something noticeably better than my old machine?

e: Meaning $2k for PC + GPU if that's even remotely possible.

I don't know what your peripherals situation is like but adding a good modern monitor can massively increase your enjoyment even though it does not make the PC go faster, plus more screens better. I would rate a $1500 computer and a $500 monitor (plus whatever you had before) higher than a $2000 computer with a 6-10 year-old reused monitor.

Other people have linked builds but yeah, a 12700F and a 3080 is reasonably within your budget. Shop around a bit for the GPU as prices vary day to day.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nodosaur posted:

A $67 action figure splurge indicates to me you have plenty of money when you want to

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SpartanIvy posted:

A $67 action figure splurge indicates to me you have plenty of money when you want to

Yeah, you don’t know anything about me

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It's pretty obvious that you have your answer about how well a gofundme would be received here

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, Christ. Nevermind.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders
I dunno if we do old pc part discussion, but I figured I'd try.

So I have a bunch of old parts lying around from two previous PCs before I built a new one last year after getting a final check in this thread (Ryzen 5600X, 3600mhz RAM 2x16gb, GTX 1060 6GB, 28TB across 9 drives).
And between the two old cannibalized PCs, I have these parts:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R ATX LGA775 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR2-800 CL5 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V200 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V200 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2 GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.75 @ Amazon)
Total: $242.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-15 15:09 EDT-0400

All of these parts work, and are in reasonable condition considering their age.
What can I reasonably do with this setup? Anyone have any recommendations? I want to get use out of it but have no idea what it would even be capable of.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
NAS. maybe even a Plex box actually, with that GPU. that's a popular choice, some kind of home server.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Donate it to a local charity that deals with old computers?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm gonna be totally honest, my first inclination would be "do not waste space with that build," because you can get a much more powerful old workstation for less than $200 from Amazon and I guess if you just had to you could probably put the graphics card in it, and it'd use less power while doing a better job at everything. Might or might not fit the GPU... Maybe worth checking on that in advance if you are actually looking to do that... And, having said all that, I don't personally discount old GPUs, I have an old junker PC that was hot poo poo at one time but is no longer that I put an old backup GPU, 650 Ti (non-boost) which was like $130 brand new, and that junker amazingly will play many games quite well at 1080p with some settings turned down (somehow - only 1 GB of video ram on the card, but somehow).

Your CPU lacks even AVX 1 support, which is a problem these days (many things are looking for AVX 2 - Haswell era - support now or they don't run so well), and while I too had a Core2Quad build - q9550 baby - and loved it in its era, its era is long gone.

So I guess think about maybe taking the SSDs and the GPU and putting them in a cheap workstation with a Haswell-or-newer CPU if you're looking for something that can at least attempt to do somewhat modern stuff, or stick with that and put Windows Vista or Windows 7 on it to run old emulators that worked fine on it at the time, would be my only suggestion. I have not got into the world of making little servers for my home, though, maybe others are onto something there.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders

Agreed posted:

I'm gonna be totally honest, my first inclination would be "do not waste space with that build," because you can get a much more powerful old workstation for less than $200 from Amazon and I guess if you just had to you could probably put the graphics card in it, and it'd use less power while doing a better job at everything. Might or might not fit the GPU... And I don't personally discount old GPUs, I have an old junker PC that was hot poo poo at one time but is no longer that I put an old backup GPU, 650 Ti (non-boost) which was like $130 brand new, and that junker amazingly will play many games quite well at 1080p with some settings turned down. Your PC lacks even AVX 1 support, which is a problem these days (many things are looking for AVX 2 - Haswell era - support now or they don't run so well), and while I too had a Core2Quad build - q9550 baby - and loved it in its era, its era is long gone.

So I guess think about maybe taking the SSDs and the GPU and putting them in a cheap workstation with a Haswell-or-newer CPU if you're looking for something that can at least attempt to do somewhat modern stuff, or stick with that and put Windows Vista or Windows 7 on it to run old emulators that worked fine on it at the time, would be my only suggestion.

I also have a 2600k, hyper 212, 4x4gb DDR3 and an antec nine hundred case lying around, but the motherboard for the 2600k is wonky and resets to its backup bios every 5 or so power ons, so I didn't consider it because that behavior is kinda scary. Would finding a used or junked mobo for the 2600k be more worthwhile than assembling the q6700 machine?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Asus GPU + PSU bundles are back

3060 Dual + 750W Gold PSU for $434: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494086
3060 Ti KO + 750W Gold PSU for $554: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494093
3060 Ti Tuf Gaming + 750W Gold PSU for $575: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494094

That PSU is a pretty good one, I believe. It's overpriced at its regular retail price of $125, but it's at least on par with the various modular gold-rated 750W PSUs you can get for $80 - $90, which means these are some pretty drat good prices after the $100 combo discount.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Asus GPU + PSU bundles are back

3060 Dual + 750W Gold PSU for $434: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494086
3060 Ti KO + 750W Gold PSU for $554: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494093
3060 Ti Tuf Gaming + 750W Gold PSU for $575: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494094

That PSU is a pretty good one, I believe. It's overpriced at its regular retail price of $125, but it's at least on par with the various modular gold-rated 750W PSUs you can get for $80 - $90, which means these are some pretty drat good prices after the $100 combo discount.

Any idea why these are the only 3060tis for sale? I've been following a lot of discord trackers and 3060s, 70s and 80s are all plentiful and seemingly at msrp, but the 60tis are pretty much nonexistent. Of course, the 60ti is what I'm targeting

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Of course, the 60ti is what I'm targeting

You answered your own question. It's the best value card that doesn't break the bank so it's the most popular.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Any idea why these are the only 3060tis for sale? I've been following a lot of discord trackers and 3060s, 70s and 80s are all plentiful and seemingly at msrp, but the 60tis are pretty much nonexistent. Of course, the 60ti is what I'm targeting

Yeah, I dunno. The 3060 Ti has very low availability just about everywhere, and I'm not sure if that's because it sells out just that quickly or if it's because Nvidia is using those GPU dies for 3070s and 3070 Tis instead. It's probably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://techfast.com.au/products/AMD-Ryzen-7-5700X-RTX-3080-10GB-Gaming-PC-EOFY

Does this look good/which upgrades should I go for?