Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Also don’t you walk over something wet first so your feet are wet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

christmas boots posted:

Also don’t you walk over something wet first so your feet are wet?

Maybe? The Leidenfrost effect will let you dip a wet hand (very briefly) into molten lead without injury, but the time and heat scales are very different from walking on coals.

If you're counting on ash as insulation, I'd think you'd want dry feet.

edit:

Wikipedia posted:

Wet feet can cause embers to cling to them, increasing the exposure time.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Now I just wanna know how many people didn't need medical treatment!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now I just wanna know how many people didn't need medical treatment!

The ones that were right with god

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine being the 25th person to walk across the coals after the first 24 got burned for not being spiritual enough or whatever

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can walk over hot coals without burning yourself as long as your feet are wet due to the Leidenfrost effect but you really have to do it just right. If not, it goes exactly like you see here.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You also have to wait for the coals to cool down and get an ash layer.

Oh god lmao they might have been using charcoal

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

ultrafilter posted:

You can walk over hot coals without burning yourself as long as your feet are wet due to the Leidenfrost effect but you really have to do it just right. If not, it goes exactly like you see here.

According to this article https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cocktail-party-physics/come-firewalk-with-me-the-physics-of-hot-coals/

Scientific American posted:

It's critical that the coals be allowed to burn down sufficiently so that they are at a relatively comfy 538 degrees Celsius or so (1000 degrees Fahrenheit), preferably with a thin layer of ash over them providing a bit of extra insulation.

This process also burns off any excess water content in the coals; any remaining water would increase both the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the coals. It's equally critical to make sure no bits of metal have found their way into the coals, because metal has very high thermal conductivity.

Perhaps David and the Robbins acolytes could have further lessened the risk of injury by dampening their feet beforehandm gaining some protective benefit from the so-called "Leidenfrost" effect, in which a thin layer of sweat or water instantly forms an insulating boundary layer of steam when exposed to intense heat. However, per Willey, this probably isn't a major factor.

For one thing, it carries an added risk of coals sticking to your feet as you walk -- increasing exposure time and therefore causing the soles to burn more than if you just crossed with dry feet. (Willey prefers firewalking with dry feet, and also places a water-soaked carpet remnant at the end of the walk for immediate cooling.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also, I wouldn't want to go last. Wouldn't dozens of people walking over them ahead of you risk mixing the coals with embers?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

Also, I wouldn't want to go last. Wouldn't dozens of people walking over them ahead of you risk mixing the coals with embers?

Nah, the folks who fail generally make for a pretty nice path to walk on.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The trick is to just pee in front of you as you walk.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Knormal posted:

That's pretty good advice in general.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

All this time I've been looking down on rats when I could have been learning from them

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Should have retraced your steps. I usually find what I've lost when I do that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh no.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

'getting' FYAD can be a sign of prodromal dementia

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh man I remember Bloc Party

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tunicate posted:

'getting' FYAD can be a sign of prodromal dementia

Stands to reason.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This almost fits the rhythm of "I left my wallet in El Segundo"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/forsapphic/status/1536855561718874112?s=21&t=YkNesooEaP2h944taOrphg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The answer is yes. Please hide your shame.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1494678340791382018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yeah but think of how much the meteorite would be worth if it had hit you.

(Last time it happened, the woman did not get a good payday.)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is this really a new thing?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

LMAO please go post that in the OSHA thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1502

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

By popular demand posted:

Is this really a new thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBHnp51BkXY

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I think what’s more inexplicable is that the decor of this morning show seems to feature a picture of the queen.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think what’s more inexplicable is that the decor of this morning show seems to feature a picture of the queen.

First time in Blighty?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A little followup from earlier this year:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/01/17/scientists-study-trajectory-of-meteorite-that-landed-in-bc-in-october.html

It's an "L chondrite", a type of relatively common meteorite where many of the ones that are found show signs of having been blasted apart from a larger body about 470 million years ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phy posted:

It's an "L chondrite", a type of relatively common meteorite where many of the ones that are found show signs of having been blasted apart from a larger body about 470 million years ago.

Your mom?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My spirit rebels at the idea of a person named Jimothy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Platystemon posted:

"$200 for a broken meteor? You must be joking!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I was about to post this, also I'm disappointed/surprised wikipedia doesnt have a category of meteorites that have " 'hit' people".

like theres literally only like a handful of cases so far in recorded modern journalism I think.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
A 90s pop sci book "Rain of Fire and Ice" posited tens of thousands of fatalities from meteors, mostly from a few destroyed towns, one on France iirc and one or two in China, based on local lore that scientists discount because there weren't, the book gripes, any accredited, certified scientists present in 600 AD or whenever to properly collect evidence.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Duodecimal posted:

A 90s pop sci book "Rain of Fire and Ice" posited tens of thousands of fatalities from mentos

This was a much more interesting sentence before I realized it was about meteors. Sometimes the dyslexia kicks in just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/katebanville/status/1537567939997470720