Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

BrianWilly posted:

Oh god the Kingo references. :xd: Didn't occur to me until now he literally just called himself Kingo all three times.

Hopefully that's the limit of Eternals in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Loving this show so much.

So cute and endearing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Haram Dot Kamran was so great

Taking the phones from the kids and telling them not to snapchat, and them saying it was insta, too. Felt that in my bones as an old.

kazil fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 15, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So far this is easily a top-3 MCU show for me, really loving it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ADODCAB

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

That was fab, this show is really good. Especially loved the Mean Girls style mosque cliques. My only negative is that jealous Nice Guy best friend is so not the vibe in 2022. Camran is way better for her.

Yeah I hope that gets wrapped up next epsiode because that story beat S U C K S.

It's getting harder for me to dislike the power change, but I'll do my best to maintain salt levels, this was even more adorable than the first episode.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Who was it that said this is the first show that feels like an actual TV show and not some weird Marvel movie extension? Just loving it so far.

Also read a little about the Partition and, since it can't be said enough, gently caress the British Empire.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, not a fan of its handling of Bruno so far but that's about it.

Scott, you absolute jerk, putting *that* out there for the podcast but yeah, Kamala getting her Nat on was hilarious and the episode was grand overall.

Nakia's badges/buttons are great and I want one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'd be really down with Bruno spinning into rejection rage and using his tech skills to become the show's villain. It would be very suitable for the overall tone of both this show and the Captain Marvel movie

Phenotype posted:

gently caress the British Empire.

As a Brit, this

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Bruno thing is standard tv storytelling, I don’t really mind it. But a quick way to solve it would be for Kamala to drop the new slick dude, and get with Bruno :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oasx posted:

The Bruno thing is standard tv storytelling, I don’t really mind it. But a quick way to solve it would be for Kamala to drop the new slick dude, and get with Bruno :colbert:

Kamala should get with the buff dude who shares her interests and actively expresses interest in her and not the jealous dork who acts like a butthead whenever he's not the focus of her attention :colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Rarity posted:

Kamala should get with the buff dude who shares her interests and actively expresses interest in her and not the jealous dork who acts like a butthead whenever he's not the focus of her attention :colbert:

Hmm, something tells me that the seemingly perfect guy that shows up out of nowhere and has secrets isn't actually her best choice.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Ms. Marvel is still good. seems like next episode will start leaning a bit harder into the superhero aspect and a bit less into the high school/family dramedy that's taken up most of the first two episodes, so we'll have to see how well it handles that transition

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I hope Bruno doesn't get the Sharon Carter treatment, and this is Ms Marvel not Spider-Man but his outfit colours at the street festival did set off some alarm bells.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
This is the best thing Marvel has ever done and it's not even close. I like nearly all the MCU stuff, and love a ton of it, but this is just a whole new level FOURTEEN YEARS IN that I'm almost mad we haven't had this kind of creativity and style before now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is really loving good so far. Very glad they're not just breaking a movie up into six acts and letting it actually be a TV show.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Here's a cool thing from episode 2 that I didn't notice, but the internet did:

The kid that Kamala saves is wearing Imani's Versace sneakers. He's the mosque sneaker thief.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Kamala Kahn and Kamala Harris are actually pronounced differently apparently.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is really drat good - wow, 2/2!

It's a nice breath of fresh air for the MCU!

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I have got a feeling that this show will bring about the downfall of the DoDC.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Neat how the thesis of the episode is “hey kids, get off your phone.”

Edit: I like how it’s “nice guy” behavior to interrupt your best friend flirting with someone hotter than you who has a cool car, and to be frustrated that she blows off superpower training to hang out with that guy.
We’ve pathologized having an emotion and acting like a teenager.

If he had no reaction, he would just be a wimpy loser who didn’t push her hard enough to train.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 15, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

It seems pretty reasonable that Bruno would be upset that Kamala went with Kamran for driving lessons instead of hero lessons. There's a side of jealousy, probably, but he also got the huge CalTech news and was looking for a friend to talk to about it.

Bruno being a dick at the party and in the car was pretty lovely, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kazil posted:

Yeah if it had just been the bit after the CalTech news that would be totally understandable but he was already being poo poo about it before then

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

kazil posted:

It seems pretty reasonable that Bruno would be upset that Kamala went with Kamran for driving lessons instead of hero lessons. There's a side of jealousy, probably, but he also got the huge CalTech news and was looking for a friend to talk to about it.

Yeah, but he helped flyer for a controversial candidate at the Eid festival. I would define his behavior as average.

It’s radically different than the last show, when the morality was either “coward or murderer.”

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

He’s a teenage nerd in love with his best friend cut the kid (by which I mean actual child) some slack.

Great episode. Here’s hoping the series sticks the landing because it’s been great so far. I think this had the most overt Scott Pilgrim homage so far all of the lights in the background giving heart-shaped auras as a scene fades out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MokBa posted:

I think this had the most overt Scott Pilgrim homage so far all of the lights in the background giving heart-shaped auras as a scene fades out.

Was that supposed to be an homage? Shaped bokeh is a fairly standard photographic/cinematic trick, and was featured in the SNL bumpers for a while:

https://vimeo.com/107481431

Explanation, about 2/3 down the page: https://www.alex-buono.com/how-we-did-it-snl-titles-sequence/

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So are the agents something from the comics? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\Damage Control. We saw them in Homecoming

MokBa posted:

He’s a teenage nerd in love with his best friend cut the kid (by which I mean actual child) some slack.

Great episode. Here’s hoping the series sticks the landing because it’s been great so far. I think this had the most overt Scott Pilgrim homage so far all of the lights in the background giving heart-shaped auras as a scene fades out.

YEeah but he isn't real and they could have chosen not to write him that way. Using the jealousy as a comedy beat when all the girls are drooling is one thing, but hammering it home throughout the entire episode is just eye rolling.

On a better note: Look at Nakia actually getting something to do!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Really enjoyed the episode aside from the fact they seem to be really leaning into the familial origin of the power. I don't remember it being that way in the comics at all.

I think mixing the family stuff with the superhero stuff is a mistake. I'd rather have Kamala have to deal with her family while being a superhero and the trials and growth that both cause.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think it’s a great use of your budget. Film the house and school locations a lot, do the rooftops on a sound stage, save the money for your action sequences. It’s a different rhythm than in Falcon/Soldier, which had a few action sequences but felt like there was a lot of scheming and empty hallways to get the episodes to 50 minutes.

It’s fun that they mentioned Kingo, I don’t expect a lot of other Eternals crossovers but it was cute.

RE: her comic book origin, there’s obvious reasons why they can’t use the inhuman invasion. and if animating flesh to look good on a TV budget is impossible, mystic artifact is a great cover. Her looking completely like Captain Marvel in her “ideal” form is intriguing, but there’s only so much captain Marvel you can include on a show where she doesn’t show up every ep.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 15, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Golden Bee posted:

I think it’s a great use of your budget. Film the house and school locations a lot, do the rooftops on a sound stage, save the money for your action sequences. It’s a different rhythm than in Falcon/Soldier, which had a few action sequences but felt like there was a lot of scheming and empty hallways to get the episodes to 50 minutes.

It’s fun that they mentioned Kingo, I don’t expect a lot of other Eternals crossovers but it was cute.

RE: her comic book origin, there’s obvious reasons why they can’t use the inhuman invasion. and if animating flesh to look good on a TV budget is impossible, mystic artifact is a great cover. Her looking completely like Captain Marvel in her “ideal” form is intriguing, but there’s only so much captain Marvel you can include on a show where she doesn’t show up every ep.

I think they might be sticking closer to the comics than I originally thought. I think the bracelet has Terrigen crystals

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I laughed out loud at one of the aunties.

"I heard she killed a man."
(pauses for effect, then elaborates)
"Dead."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I love the small stuff they do with the lesser characters too.

Aamir used to be a Hot Topic goth and his fiancee is into Bon Jovi.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally off work and finally get to watch. Haven’t read thread. Will report back. :peanut:

Nevermind, forgot I have to wait to watch it with my daughter or she’ll have a toddler meltdown. :smith:

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

404notfound posted:

Was that supposed to be an homage? Shaped bokeh is a fairly standard photographic/cinematic trick, and was featured in the SNL bumpers for a while:

https://vimeo.com/107481431

Explanation, about 2/3 down the page: https://www.alex-buono.com/how-we-did-it-snl-titles-sequence/

Speed Racer did the heart-shaped bokeh first.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Nevermind, forgot I have to wait to watch it with my daughter or she’ll have a toddler meltdown. :smith:

:3:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I laughed out loud at one of the aunties.

"I heard she killed a man."
(pauses for effect, then elaborates)
"Dead."

Shocking twist, the man she had an affair with was Kingo Sr Sr Sr and Kamala doesn't have inhuman powers, but eternal! :monocle:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

XboxPants posted:

Shocking twist, the man she had an affair with was Kingo Sr Sr Sr and Kamala doesn't have inhuman powers, but eternal! :monocle:

I would be down with that. I think that would kind of rock.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But the Eternals are technically robots so.......eeh you know what, never mind sure, just go for it, why not :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BrianWilly posted:

But the Eternals are technically robots so.......eeh you know what sure never mind, just go for it, why not :buddy:

Robots is a dramatic oversimplification and very carbon-centric terminology.

The PC term is "synthetic life forms."