Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
humanity finds a way

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...0ebabdc3afea1be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

hothouse earth is here and it's cringe

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1537090472178499584?s=20&t=wesUmnr7U-6jGD6CDkwi_w

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've been thinking about the QCS meltdowns and I think it's a complete misreading of this thread. I read this thread, I believe things are rapidly destabilizing are are going to get worse in unpredictable but catastrophic and accelerating ways. I think I have swallowed the black pill, and what is the actual impact on my life?

when I let myself spiral in anxiety this is yet another focal point for it. Big deal! It's 2022 if you're not full of things you can potentially anxiety spiral about, you're not paying attention (same as it's ever been, with a faster rate of change). So the key is learning how to manage anxiety properly which is a good thing

other than that? I accept all this and, far from seeing it as a reason to end myself or embrace violent views, it makes me more focused on the moment and making sure I am paying attention and enjoying what I can and also makes me way less likely to waste time thinking about TOTAL BULLSHIT that won't matter in 5-10 years. A great example of that is my work habits: I do my best to do a good job, because I find it rewarding to try to be competent and also need the money for as long as the game is going on. But I have become completely unwilling to waste time off the clock thinking about work. I am unwilling to be stressed by a lot of things that people freak out about in culture, because, again, it doesn't loving matter to me, the culture warriors can try to shape the state of the current chair arrangement on the titanic deck, but I fail to believe that arguments about Critical Race Theory will matter in 2035 so I am not willing to spend time worrying about them now (outside of the immediacy of stuff happening in my own district that directly impacts me).

Sure, it's depressing to think about my quality of life now vs what I see in 30 (:rubby:) years, but, being 70 was always going to suck in some ways. Sure, I fear for the future my kids will have, but that's just reason to do everything I can to set them up with the best emotional and financial and material toolset I can and also spend lots of time with them now and hug them a lot and make sure they have a fun childhood. I think childhood CAN be "fun" if you're living a basically spoiled western lifestyle. This is a new invention! Childhood was not really loving fun for anyone 150 years ago!

So yea, things are bad, and getting worse, and no one can say how fast and certainly things could move from "getting worse" to "catastrophically bad for the entire globe RIGHT NOW" in the blink of an eye. I get it. And, to me -- that's all the more reason to just embrace the moment, find love and light and laughter in what you can, and then just accept the thermodynamic realities as the trajectory we are on and a thing we'll continue to bear witness to as it increasingly impacts our own lives.

tl;dr anyone who finds an excuse to off themselves in this thread of all places, was probably either looking for that thing, or was so completely out of tune with objective reality that it's a mindbreak moment for them. Well, okay, that happens. I don't think we're going to silence 1/6/21 discussions on the grounds that it might be a mindbreak for some regressive who marched on the Capitol.

This is the place my crack pinged brain has come to rest as well.

The culture war has become white noise to me. I spend most of my time and energy thinking about ways to spoil my son while he's still young (he's 7).

I've started doing the best I can to learn things like basic home maintenance, HVAC repair, greenhouse design and growing food, generating electricity and power from natural resources like wind and flowing water . Sometimes I don't know why though. I understand that none of this will save me or my son in the coming future. I guess I do it because, since learning about what's coming, these are the kinds of busywork projects that interest me now. So I do them because I find it rewarding to learn about these things and become proficient. It's my own way of enjoying the moment. And they're things I can teach my boy and he may like them as well and then we can both share something enjoyable.

Again, I know we are all toast. But for now, it brings some small enjoyment to grow some potatoes and generate a tiny amount of electricity from the nearby creek.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"I don’t think abandoning thirsty lawns and swimming pools in the backyards of middle- and upper-class neighborhoods is too much to ask."

bahahahahahahahahahahaha

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Radical Acceptance

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Ceramic works quite well as long as you don't chip it. You get what you pay for tho

Edit Oh wow old post sorry

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

500excf type r posted:

Ceramic works quite well as long as you don't chip it. You get what you pay for tho

Just good advice in general

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500excf type r posted:

my panda ceramic rice cooker really isn’t good as a zojirushi but at least I’ll live longer to see what happens & eat more mediocre rice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

escape from LA California the US West

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

pretty stoked to find out that carbon steel works like cast iron and can be used on a glasstop stove. i got a nice nonstick patina going on.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I cook everything with Teflon cookware at high temps

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I made the mistake of waiting until today to check for sriracha and it was all out. There was still a lot of mayo sriracha though

e: does anyone know of a good alternative to sriracha? I've been getting into rice bowls recently and I was thinking that it was going to be a good thing to add onto them, but I missed the boat in buying it. The sriracha mayo is actually really good to add, but I like variety too

Find any hot sauce you like. Sriracha is just a drat chunky hot sauce. Cholula garlic is good. Melinda's has a habanero honey mustard that's amazing.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Find any hot sauce you like. Sriracha is just a drat chunky hot sauce. Cholula garlic is good. Melinda's has a habanero honey mustard that's amazing.

Smoked habanero el yucateca

Tapatio

Mad dog 357

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500excf type r posted:

Smoked habanero el yucateca

all their stuff rocks I love this brand’s fine products.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
When there are no more mango habanero sardines is when I check out of this life

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

What kind of cookware and dishes don't have poison coating them

fear of fluorocarbons is a lie pushed by Big Cast Iron

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so when's the temperature going to go down again? it's really hot here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cum jabbar posted:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Mayor Dave posted:

I cook everything with Teflon cookware at high temps

this is the way to go. if the coating starts getting worn just throw them out and get new ones.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

cum jabbar posted:

lower temperatures are cringe

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

cum jabbar posted:

https://youtu.be/bKP18BpvX_o

Summer of Acceptance

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sriracha imparts a distinctive flavor which doesn't work with everything. Try chili oils like Lao Gan Ma for asian dishes, and something more appropriate to the style of cuisine you're enjoying.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

was it siracha that refused to filter the vents from their factory and just pepper sprayed the community around it for years?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Theme song for this thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrJGqz6nZ4

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cum jabbar posted:

when you kill all the oil executives and destroy the automobile industry

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

was it siracha that refused to filter the vents from their factory and just pepper sprayed the community around it for years?

that’s them! but even “environment lovers” are willing to turn a blind eye when it’s their treats :discourse:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The real PFAS this thread should worry about is

Posting Fail Awkward Simps

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Recent years have seen temperatures far above average recorded in the Arctic, with seasoned observers describing the situation as “crazy”, “weird”, and “simply shocking”.

Biosphere Collapse: “crazy”, “weird”, and “simply shocking”

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

TACD posted:

Take a shot every time an article or report has those words or something like "worse than expected" or "worst case scenario" and you won't live long enough to witness the coming annihilation of our civilization

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TACD posted:

It's actually normal

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

that's a pretty metal thing for a hot sauce maker to do though, so

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dixon Chisholm posted:

yeah I was wanting something a bit thicker. I like vinegar based hot sauces, I even have a bottle of basic cholula, just wanted something that wasn't a vinegar based one. I will probably pick up some gochujang like someone else was saying and figure out some stuff online to make with that

e:

didn't realize that sriracha really is just a thicker vinegar based hot sauce:

quote:

chiles, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite and xanthan gum.

though in the loosest sense most hot sauces probably are just fermented peppers in vinegar, idk

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Jun 16, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TeenageArchipelago posted:

yeah I was wanting something a bit thicker. I like vinegar based hot sauces, I even have a bottle of basic cholula, just wanted something that wasn't a vinegar based one. I will probably pick up some gochujang like someone else was saying and figure out some stuff online to make with that

e:

didn't realize that sriracha really is just a thicker vinegar based hot sauce:

it’s only thick in america to appeal to a nation of people who put ketchup on steaks

quote:

In Thailand, the sauce is most often called sot Siracha (Thai: ซอสศรีราชา) and only sometimes nam phrik Siracha (Thai: น้ำพริกศรีราชา). Traditional Thai sriracha sauce tends to be tangier in taste, and runnier in texture than non-Thai versions.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0P1Bk8Cx4

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

wrap it up
https://gizmodo.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-says-climate-change-is-healthy-f-1849066151

quote:

Greene: What do plants—okay, don’t say electrolytes, that’s not the answer, you may have been watching movies—what do plants actually crave?

Glenn: Sunlight.

Greene: Of course, but carbon! They need carbon. …it’s the life cycle. But [climate activists] want to kill carbon. They say if the Earth warms 1.5 degrees celsius, AOC says, the Earth is going to explode. But do you know when they’ve been tracking this? They’ve been tracking this since the 1800s.

We’ve already warmed one degree Celsius, and do you know what’s happened since then? Let me tell you: we’ve had more food grown since then, which feeds people. We’ve been producing fossil fuels, keeps people’s houses warm in the winter, that saves people’s lives. People die in the cold. This Earth warming, and carbon, is actually healthy for us. It helps us to feed people, it keeps people alive.

The Earth is more green than it was years and years ago, and that’s because of the Earth warming, it’s because of carbon, because plants do need carbon. Their whole argument is not even scientific.
also what the gently caress is this https://www.commerce.senate.gov/services/files/FC7C4946-11A3-4967-BF28-8D0386608D3E

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

they're all exxon people and a who's-who of Trump's climate task forces

EVERETT, Bruce: Tufts faculty. He's a 19-year adjunct prof.

quote:

Bruce M. Everett retired from a career in the oil industry in June, 2002. His career with Exxon Corporation started in 1980 where he worked in their Corporate Planning Department, and over the next 22 years he held a variety of jobs at both Exxon and Exxonmobil including: [1]
    Manager of Energy and Petroleum Economics in Esso Europe,
    Manager of Planning and Analysis at Exxon Coal & Minerals Company,
    Operations Manager at the Carter Mining Company (Wyoming coal),
    Executive Director of Exxon Energy in Hong Kong,
    Regional Natural Gas Manager for the Middle East, Africa and Latin America at Exxon Company,
    and International and Deputy Manager of Public Affairs, ExxonMobil Downstream Companies.

HAPPER, William: Princeton, DOE, National Academy member

quote:

Happer co-founded the CO2 Coalition in 2015 after spinning it off from the now-defunct George C. Marshall Institute, which raised doubts about climate science and received almost $1 million in grants from Exxon Mobil Corp.

HARTNETT-WHITE, Kathleen: Texas Public Policy Foundation

quote:

The Texas Observer found that the TPPF has been funded by ExxonMobil, Chevron, the Koch network, RJ Reynolds, the Heartland Institute, and others among what they describe as the “Who’s Who of Texas polluters. “

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Shouldn't it be criminal to have something like that on a government websss.g.tntgn;sg lmao I'm going to sleep

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

we don't have a functioning government, let alone one capable of an internally coherent climate policy

it was a threatened firing offense for staff to put "carbon dioxide" or "climate change" or "global warming" in a powerpoint or document for the entirety of the trump administration, and all documents had to go through three tiers of legal and political review before publication, for which authorization was usually withheld anyways. at the same time all these fuckers had a white house appointment to a special interagency task force.

under biden i think folks are allowed to reference climate change again, but there are still crazy review processes and tons of midlevel holdovers throwing up roadblocks for literally any federal action that recognizes climate change. but that may just be my inexperience with just how hosed all federal agency processes are, and not trump-era stay-behind agents.

the federal government is ready to be drowned in a bathtub, and we may be better for it. if only so everyone stops expecting it to do or be anything at all

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl posted:

when you kill all the oil executives and destroy the automobile industry

i cant do that im so tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

we don't have a functioning government, let alone one capable of an internally coherent climate policy

it was a threatened firing offense for staff to put "carbon dioxide" or "climate change" or "global warming" in a powerpoint or document for the entirety of the trump administration, and all documents had to go through three tiers of legal and political review before publication, for which authorization was usually withheld anyways. at the same time all these fuckers had a white house appointment to a special interagency task force.

under biden i think folks are allowed to reference climate change again, but there are still crazy review processes and tons of midlevel holdovers throwing up roadblocks for literally any federal action that recognizes climate change. but that may just be my inexperience with just how hosed all federal agency processes are, and not trump-era stay-behind agents.

the federal government is ready to be drowned in a bathtub, and we may be better for it. if only so everyone stops expecting it to do or be anything at all

the Biden admin is so scared of Republicans being mad at them that they’re pro coal lol