Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but if they rob you then they have the money AND the armour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sure lessens the impact of finding the hidden alcove in a random cave within a tomb in which hides the only obtainable, unenchanted daedric helm in the entire world, when eventually random rear end bandits will be decked out in the stuff.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
One step from eden is fun but moves a little too fast for me. The deckbuilding seems a lot more important than the actual gameplay since combat is so fast I don't have a lot of time to register what spells I have loaded when throwing them out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Resident Evil 7: whoever designed the ship section to have an emergency klaxon blaring for a solid half hour straight, I'm going to travel back in time, find you, and give you a swirlie :argh:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sniper Elite 5 introduces non-lethal options, with unconscious enemies able to be awakened by their friends but giving bonus xp if they're still unconscious at the end of the mission.
Pretty standard fare for a sneak'em'up. But it feels weird in-context - I'm sneaking around occupied france killing and exploding to help pave the way for Overlord, not-killing nazi soldiers is the exact opposite of my mission and shouldn't be rewarded.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Jun 16, 2022

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

Sniper Elite 5 introduces non-lethal options, with unconscious enemies able to be awakened by their friends but giving bonus xp if they're still unconscious at the end of the mission.
Pretty standard fare for a sneak'em'up. But it feels weird in-context - I'm sneaking around occupied france killing and exploding to help pave the way for Overlord, not-killing nazi soldiers is the exact opposite of my mission and shouldn't be rewarded.

Were people asking for non lethal options in the game about shooting Hitler in the balls with a howitzer?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a stealth game, so probably.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Resident Evil 7: whoever designed the ship section to have an emergency klaxon blaring for a solid half hour straight, I'm going to travel back in time, find you, and give you a swirlie :argh:

The part at Home in FFX also has a super annoying alarm blaring for the entire set piece.

It also has pickups (Al Bhed primers) which you can miss indefinitely because you never return there.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, they always say you can't go home again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
IIRC there was a significant dick move (on top of the whole miss-able thing) where you had to go through a certain door to get a primer, except if you tried to enter it right after the scene where you first see it, the game will take control of Tidus and turn him right back around to go forward. You have to leave the screen and then turn right back around to be able to enter that door. But I thought "Oh I can't go into that door, I have to keep going forward" and left it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

There was a pretty lengthy submarine level in Viewtiful Joe (Or maybe it was Viewtiful Joe 2?) that had a wailing alarm AND a flashing red overlay on the screen the whole time.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

There was a pretty lengthy submarine level in Viewtiful Joe (Or maybe it was Viewtiful Joe 2?) that had a wailing alarm AND a flashing red overlay on the screen the whole time.

I think Castle Crashers did this at one point too and it was super annoying - but knowing the devs, that was probably intentional

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah it's a little weird in tone, especially considering how the game goes out of its way with giving you little personal tidbits about each nazi soldier that you look at to humanize them.

Like, there's probably room for a thoughtful game about the dehumanizing effect of war and fascist propaganda on the average soldier (Velvet Assassin comes to mind), but the series known for about artfully sniping Hitler's remaining ball certainly ain't it. :psyduck:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Perestroika posted:

Yeah it's a little weird in tone, especially considering how the game goes out of its way with giving you little personal tidbits about each nazi soldier that you look at to humanize them.

Like, there's probably room for a thoughtful game about the dehumanizing effect of war and fascist propaganda on the average soldier (Velvet Assassin comes to mind), but the series known for about artfully sniping Hitler's remaining ball certainly ain't it. :psyduck:

Yeah I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8pkJ3vxTPo

A couple days ago and the personal notes on the enemy soldiers got me thinking 'is this a "war is bad"' thing or a 'maybe all Nazis are not bad did you ever think of that lib' from the devs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm fine with them humanising all the dudes you kill because they are, by definition, the only good Nazis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 kinda forgets the gravity of one of its core setting elements a lot, which strikes me as weird every time I notice.

A big part of the setting and story of XC2 is that everyone lives on 'Titans', these enormous animals that travel across a sea of clouds. Some are very small, some are big enough to end up as boats or ships, there's a few big enough that they're actual landmasses with settlements and ecosystems. It's not a 'weird for the sake of it' set dressing thing either, this is probably the core element of the story; people struggle with the fact that one day the actual landmass of New Zealand could just keel over and die, and the protagonist's main motivation is to find a mythical land that isn't bound to a single creature's mortality.

...but this does mean that they've made a setting where every single ship and landmass is a living thing, and aren't exactly infinite. And yet nobody really bats an eye that military ships are cyborg whales with controls forcibly attached to its nerves, or that essentially every single vehicle is a horse with extra adjectives. The thing that made me notice was that pretty early on, your party borrows a boat from a party member's uncle (which is basically a small whale with a ship's cabin strapped to its back) and then ends up eaten by one of the landmass Titans. Everyone dusts themselves off, confirms the group's okay and moves on to explore where they are, since this Titan's ecosystem is inside it anyway, but they kind of all treat it like it's jjust a regular-rear end shipwreck, nobody even mentions that the thing they came in on was alive and is now probably dead.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah I watched

A couple days ago and the personal notes on the enemy soldiers got me thinking 'is this a "war is bad"' thing or a 'maybe all Nazis are not bad did you ever think of that lib' from the devs.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah I watched

So is it a case of

"Before the war, Karl Franz went to church every Sunday before working in a soup kitchen to help feed the homeless. He has a loving wife and three children.

He has applied to transfer to concentration camps multiple times, and keeps trophies of every person he considers an "untermensch" he personally killed""

Or just straight up "This nazi felt that war is bad, and you should feel bad because he was a good nazi"?

Because one of those works in a "Hey, this person has redeeming qualities, but he is a monster" and the other is... yeah, no.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Randalor posted:

So is it a case of

"Before the war, Karl Franz went to church every Sunday before working in a soup kitchen to help feed the homeless. He has a loving wife and three children.

He has applied to transfer to concentration camps multiple times, and keeps trophies of every person he considers an "untermensch" he personally killed""

Or just straight up "This nazi felt that war is bad, and you should feel bad because he was a good nazi"?

Because one of those works in a "Hey, this person has redeeming qualities, but he is a monster" and the other is... yeah, no.

It varies a lot. Sometimes it's condemnation like "this is a motherfucker who just loves chemical weapons", sometimes it's sympathetic like "this guy is glad he gets to ride out the war in a safe spot so he can see his son again", and often it's just random trivia like "this guy is the local chess grandmaster of Baden-Baden". There's no real clear through line, so it's difficult to really see what the developers were going for there, if anything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I still dont think I know how the Oblivion leveling system worked.

The enemy scaling had some issues. Once you were high enough level, random highway bandits will be decked out in full glass armor. Bruh, why are robbing me? Just sell your armor worth thousands of gold pieces if you need money that bad.

It took me entirely too long to wrap my head around it, and unlike the other Bethesda games where I deep dived wikis so I could have some fun min/maxing, with Oblivion it was just trying to achieve basic understanding. Nothing connects together in an intuitive way, and every single attribute and skill seems to have some weird exception or special clause that makes it work differently from everything else. Lots of really dumb circumstances where X attribute or Y skill literally do nothing at all. The game runs on endless invisible formulas and like hell are you ever privy to a single one.

People often bring up the bandit thing, but I never really got why it's so unbelievable? The player character is the exact same sort of murderhobo, just expressed differently - why are you running around in enchanted daedric armor but still checking every nook and cranny for pocket change? It's not like they're beggars clad in armor worth thousands, they're bandits, the whole point is to intimidate people into giving them money or murdering them for it. Fancy gear makes both of those things easier.

There's still definitely lots of goofiness and dumb stuff attached (all bandits everywhere universally level up, they only ever ask for 100 gold, and of course they roll up on motherfuckers lookin' like Sauron himself thinking they have a chance), but the main concept isn't inherently absurd to me. :shrug:

Arrath posted:

Sure lessens the impact of finding the hidden alcove in a random cave within a tomb in which hides the only obtainable, unenchanted daedric helm in the entire world, when eventually random rear end bandits will be decked out in the stuff.

Yeah but what are the odds that any given alcove is going to have something interesting like that instead of just being yet another heavily locked chest containing 50~ gold?

Which, fresh complaint: Boy can you tell Oblivion is in the awkward growing pains zone where they hadn't really figured out how to design dungeons yet. People complain about Skyrim's endless draugr barrows, but y'know at least they're well lit and usually pretty navigable. Oblivion just loves its weird nested/overlapping routes, miserably dark caves, dead ends with nothing in them (except maybe one of those aforementioned gold chests guarded by a single enemy), and of course every dungeon will inevitably be three different maps connected by load doors to make things extra confusing. Lots of monster closets, too. Most loot is distributed in chests, and best I can figure every map chunk has a small handful of preset chest locations, but some rooms don't have sensible positions for chests so they just threw the spawn points kinda wherever, vaguely near some landmark.

Special shout-out to one of the early Ayleid ruins where an upper level/bridge exists for the sole purpose of having an enemy up there snipe at you, with no way to get up to that area at all. In contrast to literally every other time that Ayleid ruins have some wacky circle-back or shortcut or convenient drop-down.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

moosecow333 posted:

The part at Home in FFX also has a super annoying alarm blaring for the entire set piece.

It also has pickups (Al Bhed primers) which you can miss indefinitely because you never return there.

An annoying gently caress! An annoying gently caress! An annoying gently caress! An annoying gently caress!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm fine with them humanising all the dudes you kill because they are, by definition, the only good Nazis.

:hmmyes:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Perestroika posted:

It varies a lot. Sometimes it's condemnation like "this is a motherfucker who just loves chemical weapons", sometimes it's sympathetic like "this guy is glad he gets to ride out the war in a safe spot so he can see his son again", and often it's just random trivia like "this guy is the local chess grandmaster of Baden-Baden". There's no real clear through line, so it's difficult to really see what the developers were going for there, if anything.

This reads more like someone really enjoyed reading little blurbs about people in Watch Dogs and decided to add it to their WW2 sniper game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What I remembered most about Oblivion's dungeons was that they were basically the same concept as Morrowind's Dwemer dungeons, but entirely void of anything interesting. Morrowind was all about the mystery of the Dwemer, why they left, who they were, what they accomplished and the strange things they left behind, while in Oblivion it was just like, there used to be elves here and they left behind dungeons with traps in them.

moosecow333 posted:

This reads more like someone really enjoyed reading little blurbs about people in Watch Dogs and decided to add it to their WW2 sniper game.

One of my favorite details from Myth was that each character in your army had a very small little excerpt about some event in their life or the war, almost like it was just a passage taken out of context from like, the book the game could have been adapted from. Long after I played that game, I used to make Flash cartoons with lots of dialogue that you had to manually click through, but there were hidden easter eggs; you could hover the mouse over any character on screen and it would display a Myth-like excerpt. I don't think anyone ever noticed though :(

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jun 16, 2022

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

credburn posted:

What I remembered most about Oblivion's dungeons was that they were basically the same concept as Morrowind's Dwemer dungeons, but entirely void of anything interesting. Morrowind was all about the mystery of the Dwemer, why they left, who they were, what they accomplished and the strange things they left behind, while in Oblivion it was just like, there used to be elves here and they left behind dungeons with traps in them.

One of my favorite details from Myth was that each character in your army had a very small little excerpt about some event in their life or the war, almost like it was just a passage taken out of context from like, the book the game could have been adapted from. Long after I played that game, I used to make Flash cartoons with lots of dialogue that you had to manually click through, but there were hidden easter eggs; you could hover the mouse over any character on screen and it would display a Myth-like excerpt. I don't think anyone ever noticed though :(

No gam has really captured the pure joy of setting off a dwarven explosive satchel in a group of myrkridia since the Myth games.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oblivion's biggest sin was changing the Amazon Rainforest setting into a standard European Fantasy one.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

No gam has really captured the pure joy of setting off a dwarven explosive satchel in a group of myrkridia since the Myth games.

Or the sheer horror at watching the drat thing fizzle in the rain.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah but what are the odds that any given alcove is going to have something interesting like that instead of just being yet another heavily locked chest containing 50~ gold?

I was specifically thinking back to Morrowind when a goodly number of the caves did actually have some interesting unique loot, as well as a few chests with assorted worthless poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

I was just about to say that, 2 1/2 hours late!

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
So aside from feeling weird about the non-lethal option in Sniper Elite 5, my problem is that as of current patch, mission 4 is super bugged in a lot of ways that can make it incompletable at random. All of the sabotage objectives are in-engine cutscenes, which for some reason can fail to actually destroy the objective but leave the interactable item gone. Somehow I dodged all of those failing and managed to have it just not spawn the mission end objective. Every Nazi on the map is incapacitated, every mission marked as complete, but no exfiltration option. I really don't want to go through the whole mission again just to roll the dice on it failing in some way again. Lesser issue with that mission, there's a vent you can open up to sneak into one of the buildings, except it can't actually be moved through.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Myth and Myth 2 are both legit contenders for the title of most underrated game of all time, even moreso for most underrated RTS.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

gohuskies posted:

Myth and Myth 2 are both legit contenders for the title of most underrated game of all time, even moreso for most underrated RTS.

They were CASUALTIES solid games, and Myth II CASUALTIES expanded on the CASUALTIES first in a great way. The setting is awesome, too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Myth 1 and 2 owns

if you can hunt down the Dark Patch for Myth 1 to play through the campaign as THE EVIL GUYS

it owns

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I can't play the Myth games. The idea of loving up and leaving yourself hobbled for the next battle was too daunting for me (I don't even know if this is possible or if the game auto-balances to prevent it, but it worried me too much to try)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think I've complained about this before but it is mind-boggling to me that the canon ending of RE7 involves not only saving Mia, but ending up with her afterwards. I don't care if it was Mold-influenced, I find it pretty impossible to believe that even someone as dumb as Ethan would settle down and have a kid with a woman who went completely psychotic and cut his loving hand off with a chainsaw. And even discounting the Mold stuff, the only reason any of that happened at all is that she's a human trafficker for a biological weapons corporation!!! There is never any point in the story where she's a good person!! Zoe should've been the one to survive!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes acting psychotic and attempting to murder you is a romantic act

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Sometimes acting psychotic and attempting to murder you is a romantic act

not falling for that schtick Beato

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

I think I've complained about this before but it is mind-boggling to me that the canon ending of RE7 involves not only saving Mia, but ending up with her afterwards. I don't care if it was Mold-influenced, I find it pretty impossible to believe that even someone as dumb as Ethan would settle down and have a kid with a woman who went completely psychotic and cut his loving hand off with a chainsaw. And even discounting the Mold stuff, the only reason any of that happened at all is that she's a human trafficker for a biological weapons corporation!!! There is never any point in the story where she's a good person!! Zoe should've been the one to survive!

I mean, they're kinda made for each other, he chopped her back with an axe...AND IT loving HURT!

Seriously though, I can kinda accept that first part in a fictional story "they can forgive it because mind control" kind of way. The second part is what actually makes it bad for me, there's never a doubt in my mind to go with the alternate non-canon ending.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You guys really think Evie was an actual girl and not some kind of slime monster like whatever the hell Ouroboros is?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

You guys really think Evie was an actual girl and not some kind of slime monster like whatever the hell Ouroboros is?

genuinely explain how that makes it better in any way

like okay she's not a real girl, she's still engineered to look like one to let her more easily infiltrate wartorn areas to erase all human life, that's not really much of an improvement

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Jun 17, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I mean yeah, at one point along the way at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean yeah, at one point along the way at least.

yeah the existence of the D-type parts pretty clearly implies this is the case