Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

in a well actually posted:

so far? lol

That isnt what happened last time gas went high.

I'm pretty sure I remember an AI goon buying a mid-size truck for ridiculously cheap in 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe the really lovely ones like Nissans or Chryslers?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was a Nissan hehe

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

shortspecialbus posted:

Also, if I had a kid I wouldn't commute with them in something that effectively has a negative 2 star crash rating.
Yeah, it would just be for camping trips. How do other families do it? Just super expensive trucks?

I'm not in a hurry, just doing my research before the elantra kicks the bucket. Will check out the other suggestions, thank you!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Managed to reserve a Hyundai Tucson Plug In Hybrid that's arriving in mid to late July. Out the door it comes to $43,989, which is $3,400 above MSRP, but I will be getting $6,253 back when I do my taxes, bringing it down to $37,736. Multiple dealers I called were $5,000 above MSRP, and one was $8,000, so I can't be too mad about the markup.

Little more than I hoped to spend, but the only other compact SUV I really liked in the segment was the CX-5, which had a much worse infotainment system, and was only going to be like $3k cheaper for the trim I liked. Plus this should save me $500+ a year on gas.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember an AI goon buying a mid-size truck for ridiculously cheap in 2008

I decided against it but I almost bought a nicely equipped, <10k miles 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 in 2009 for $16k. I want to say the original sticker had been $30k or so.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 14, 2022

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking ten year old vehicles commanding a premium, how bad of a decision is a 2013 Subaru Outback Premium with 95,000 miles on it for 14,833$? Everything seems like it's in great shape minus corrosion on the battery terminals.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm trying to buy a Sienna (lol), and one of the dealers I've pinged suggested they will be selling a shuttle vehicle in the spec I was looking for with about 10k miles.
I need to clarify if it was also used for demos but I'm thinking this is about as good of a "lightly used" offering I am going to get in this market.

For perspective, all of the dealerships are either turning people away outright, or putting people on a waitlist to put in an order at some later date.

I'm feeling like I should jump on this as long as they aren't going to price it above MSRP or something dumb. Thoughts?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking ten year old vehicles commanding a premium, how bad of a decision is a 2013 Subaru Outback Premium with 95,000 miles on it for 14,833$? Everything seems like it's in great shape minus corrosion on the battery terminals.

Purely anecdotal but my 2013 Impreza has been a nightmare. The CVT Transmission died at 99k but luckily it was still under warranty, and then the engine threw a rod at 112k. I'm buying the Tucson to get rid of this thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Math You posted:

I'm trying to buy a Sienna (lol), and one of the dealers I've pinged suggested they will be selling a shuttle vehicle in the spec I was looking for with about 10k miles.
I need to clarify if it was also used for demos but I'm thinking this is about as good of a "lightly used" offering I am going to get in this market.

For perspective, all of the dealerships are either turning people away outright, or putting people on a waitlist to put in an order at some later date.

I'm feeling like I should jump on this as long as they aren't going to price it above MSRP or something dumb. Thoughts?

Thread title says "no rental cars" and then you go and pick the only thing subjected to more abuse than a rental

:psyduck:

I guess it's only 10k miles, and current market conditions are crazy, but I'd think really hard on that

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Wasn't really aware that a shuttle would be abused. My experience with shuttle drivers is they are all retirees who drive really slow

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

moana posted:

Yeah, it would just be for camping trips. How do other families do it? Just super expensive trucks?

I'm not in a hurry, just doing my research before the elantra kicks the bucket. Will check out the other suggestions, thank you!

Do the cars you have now suit your needs beyond camping trips? If so, could you just like rent a U-Haul pickup truck or some other car/truck rental place for camping trips? You'd still probably come out way ahead in the long run, unless you're camping super often.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

shortspecialbus posted:

Do the cars you have now suit your needs beyond camping trips? If so, could you just like rent a U-Haul pickup truck or some other car/truck rental place for camping trips? You'd still probably come out way ahead in the long run, unless you're camping super often.
They do fine except the Elantra is held together with duct tape and prayer which is the only reason I'm looking to replace it in the near future. We camp about once a month, more in summer, but the rental might still be the way to go, or just do more group camping with people who have trailers we can sneak stuff into ;)

Thank you IOwnCalculus for the Honda Pilot suggestion, that would do fine for all our hauling needs including camping, plus we could carry other kids around if we needed to. Are there any years that are known to suck?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Math You posted:

Wasn't really aware that a shuttle would be abused. My experience with shuttle drivers is they are all retirees who drive really slow

Yeah I wouldn't be super worried about a Sienna I think? They're pretty reliable. I just imagine the interior might get more wear and tear?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Inquiring for a friend.

Since the specter of the service vehicle has been brought up, a friend is considering purchasing a new Mini for his wife but the dealer only has the service car available. They would otherwise need to wait until September to order a new one and for it to arrive.

Reflecting upon how I have driven every dealer loaner I have had, I recommended that they just order the new one and wait.

All things Mini aside, how bad of an idea is this? Its a 2022 Mini with 4000 miles on it. The CT dealer has magnanimously offer $700 off MSRP for this usage.

I think this is 9/10 a bad idea especially when the car in question is not a Camry and has lived its short life as the worst type of rental/loaner IMO.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You gotta ask why the dealer is selling a brand new car for less than MSRP in this market

Maybe they're getting spooked by the market and trying to unload all their inventory? Or did someone drive it into a wall and they're buying a lemon that's been freshly repainted

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

4k miles "new" means it was almost certainly a demo car and was almost certainly beat on for every one of those miles.

That might not be a disaster, but I wouldn't be spending MSRP on a car like that, even in this market.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've been messaging some more rural Toyota dealerships in the hopes of maybe getting onto a shorter order list and I've had some wildly different stories told.

Basically from "give us a scan of your driver's license, and tell us what you want. We'll contact you when ordering opens again but we don't know when that will be or how long it'll take once your order is placed"

To: "$500 deposit, 6-8 months for delivery"

Second one is extreme and I think the dealership's website might be compromised because it came from a private email!.. but there is a pretty big spread in what they are saying regardless. Many say "place an order" but with what the less optimistic dealerships have been telling me, I'm sceptical.

Anyone have some insight into the current state of affairs when ordering a new Toyota?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

All Toyota dealers will put you on a waitlist for a preallocated vehicle. You can call around constantly every day and try to find a buyer backing out on a new delivery or something in transit and youll get a vehicle much faster otherwise the $500 deposit and waiting for it to be built is the only option. This method took me about a month to find a new vehicle .

The better dealers will show you on their desktop computer the entire list of preallocated vehicles and their build week.

You dont actually order vehicles to spec at Toyota, you decide your options and theyll find the closest match in their pre allocated system. Its worth checking more than one dealer because they all have different lists.

A trick with the preallocated list (Toyota specific): if there is a letter in the last 6 digits of the vin they have, the vehicle is not built yet and can still be subject to delays. If there are no letters in the last six digits of the vin then the vehicle is already built and will arrive much faster

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 14, 2022

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

ethanol posted:

All Toyota dealers will put you on a waitlist for a preallocated vehicle. You can call around constantly every day and try to find a buyer backing out on a new delivery or something in transit and you’ll get a vehicle much faster otherwise the $500 deposit and waiting for it to be built is the only option. This method took me about a month to find a new vehicle .

The better dealers will show you on their desktop computer the entire list of preallocated vehicles and their build week.

You don’t actually order vehicles to spec at Toyota, you decide your options and they’ll find the closest match in their pre allocated system. It’s worth checking more than one dealer because they all have different lists.

A trick with the preallocated list (Toyota specific): if there is a letter in the last 6 digits of the vin they have, the vehicle is not built yet and can still be subject to delays. If there are no letters in the last six digits of the vin then the vehicle is already built and will arrive much faster

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

ethanol posted:

One more question.. if the dealership doesn't have any more pre-allocated units (which none of them seem to), does it matter from which dealership I place the order? Ex. Does it matter if I'm the 100th person to make an order at dealership A VS 20th at dealership B if both are just sending in a blank request to Toyota?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

They're not really sending a request to toyota at all. What's happening is they had a preallocated list and you're coming in at the tail end of a quarter or year or however they split them up, and they' ve sold out of it. What they're doing now is waiting the next list. It's very possible they're also switching to the new model year on the next list, which can take longer. So yes it does matter a little bit if a dealer has a longer wait list it could be that much further down the build date list. But also keep in mind that it can also come down to you choosing options packages that are not popular and are being made less.

edit: what I would do is ask the dealers directly when they expect to get their next allocations if they are sold out and can't even take a deposit. and meanwhile you can shop other dealers if possible to see if any of them have any current allocations still coming in. But keep in mind when they are between allocations like that, the way they decide how many cars to buy is all very macro scale and will not be impacted by you putting money down at all. Anything you hear from salesman about new list dates is going to be office rumors subject to random Toyota corporate delays.

edit2: Also, when they have a new list they can actually sell from, they can tell you which packages are coming fastest if you ask. Ask them to show you the list so you can see the options and build dates for yourself

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 14, 2022

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Well he bought it and is picking it up Friday. I tried. Now we will get to see if falls apart immediately.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I'm going to walk into a used car dealer for the first time in my life to check out a 20 year old, $5000 car. Any advice on how to avoid getting scammed? I don't intend on buying the car today, or without getting a PPI done, anyrhint else I should look out for?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

I'm going to walk into a used car dealer for the first time in my life to check out a 20 year old, $5000 car. Any advice on how to avoid getting scammed? I don't intend on buying the car today, or without getting a PPI done, anyrhint else I should look out for?

You should probably not buy $5k 20 year old cars at used car dealers if you don't want to get scammed.

Is this some particularly special car? Why are you buying something this old? What do you intend to do with it?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Anything to look out for on a 2nd gen Ridgeline? Looking at it tomorrow

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Don't expect it to tow

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mustache Ride posted:

Don't expect it to tow

Tow what? I need to tow my vfr and maybe a sailing dinghy. Not at the same time.

Worse than the maverick? What about the pacifica with the towing package

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You should be able to tow any non keelboat sailboat behind a Honda Accord or larger

Honda Ridgeline is basically a lifted accord so you should be fine

Assume 300lbs for the trailer and 1800 lbs for the boat + gear+ ice and booze

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Purely anecdotal but my 2013 Impreza has been a nightmare. The CVT Transmission died at 99k but luckily it was still under warranty, and then the engine threw a rod at 112k. I'm buying the Tucson to get rid of this thing.

Well, poo poo, that's grim. Is there any sense in third party extended warranties for powertrain on used vehicles? Or is it pretty much a roll of the dice?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

My mom's same vintage Crosstrek stranded her on the roadside in two separate incidents.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a ton of posts on car forums all over the internet from people mad as hell about their subaru CVTs failing expensively. We eliminated it from our car search for that reason, we wanted tow capacity and not a manual transmission and that eliminated the outbacks and foresters completely.

If you have one with a non-imploded CVT, pay special attention to maintaining that CVT and/or just assume you'll need to replace it and start budgeting for it now. I'm not saying every single one explodes, but boy it sure seems to be a big issue.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I just bought a new impreza but Im not super into it and dont plan to keep it forever. Hopefully it wont explode in the next five years or so before I decide I want something else.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

remigious posted:

I just bought a new impreza but Im not super into it and dont plan to keep it forever. Hopefully it wont explode in the next five years or so before I decide I want something else.

Follow the maintenance schedule religiously and keep documentation of it. Subaru's power train warranty is 5 years 60k. miles so you could decide you want something else in exactly five years.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

There's a ton of posts on car forums all over the internet from people mad as hell about their subaru CVTs failing expensively. We eliminated it from our car search for that reason, we wanted tow capacity and not a manual transmission and that eliminated the outbacks and foresters completely.

If you have one with a non-imploded CVT, pay special attention to maintaining that CVT and/or just assume you'll need to replace it and start budgeting for it now. I'm not saying every single one explodes, but boy it sure seems to be a big issue.

anecdotal but my moms brand new outback CVT also broke

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
We're they perchance available in 2008 legacies?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

We're they perchance available in 2008 legacies?

CVTs? I don't think that was a thing they were doing until 2010 (not counting the weird late 80s/early 90s Justy stuff).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Subaru introduced a CVT with the 1989 Justy, but it became standard in these models from these years:

2010 and newer Legacy
2010 and newer Outback
2012 and newer Impreza
2013 and newer Crosstrek
2014 and newer Forester

The worst problem years, according to this random article by an extended warranty company, so don't trust this too much, were from 2012-2017, and they extended the warranty to 10 years/100k miles on these models:
2010-2015 Legacy
2010-2015 Outback
2012-2015 Impreza
2013-2015 Crosstrek
2014-2015 Crosstrek Hybrid
2014-2015 Forester with 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine
2014-2015 Forester with turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine
2015 WRX 2.0
2015 Legacy and Outback with 3.6-liter V-6 engine

Unfortunately, 100k seems to be right about the spot a bunch of them fail, so it's a crapshoot whether you are in or out of warranty on those models when it goes bust. And Subaru dropped back to its standard 5y/60k drivetrain warranty from 2016, even though lots of folks online feel the issues haven't been fully resolved.

And a full replacement CVT service can run $7-8k.

If you start to notice stalling, hesitation, juddering, or anything else, stop driving your subaru immediately. A repair could be $1500 instead of an $8k replacement.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Leperflesh posted:

If you start to notice stalling, hesitation, juddering, or anything else, stop driving your subaru immediately. A repair could be $1500 instead of an $8k replacement.
But doctor, I am a CVT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Of course with Subaru before the cvt years you have the infamous head gasket years. Our 2005 forester also had significant ignition problems causing no spark,misfiresand the exhaust hangers rusted out to the point of detaching. The rocker panels rusted through as well. The car never even made it to 50k miles

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 16, 2022