Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

I was going to say, from the description the only thing I can think about the Vagabond is "good". Like, I'm not going to lie here, every single one of the various animal empire seems like dicks, and kicking them in the face repeatedly seems like a great time.

It's not good game design, but it is good to see

That sounds like you'd say an ex-nazi legion mercenary living fat off murdering people in Africa is good to see, because the British Empire, Jim Crow USA, and Stalin's USSR all sucked.

Politically, Vagabond doesn't win by helping anyone, Vagabond wins by causing indiscriminate murder and chaos instead of having an ideology or being loyal to anyone. Vagabond is a libertarian. Vagabond wants you to know it's ephebophilia not pedophilia. Vagabond has a sixteen part youtube video about how Star Wars was cucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That sounds like you'd say an ex-nazi legion mercenary living fat off murdering people in Africa is good to see, because the British Empire, Jim Crow USA, and Stalin's USSR all sucked.

Politically, Vagabond doesn't win by helping anyone, Vagabond wins by causing indiscriminate murder and chaos instead of having an ideology or being loyal to anyone. Vagabond is a libertarian. Vagabond wants you to know it's ephebophilia not pedophilia. Vagabond has a sixteen part youtube video about how Star Wars was cucked.

I was going to say that the Vagabond was the Steve Bannon of Root, but that works too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Woodland Alliance are the closest Root has to a "good" faction since the commentary focuses more on their methodology (and internal dysfunction) than their ideology.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 15, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Pardon? "Wandering hero is able to cause problems on purpose for massive empires that are happy to trade lives for dominance" does not equate to Neo-Nazi death squads and I'm kind of a bit flummoxed as to how you'd draw that comparison.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

Pardon? "Wandering hero is able to cause problems on purpose for massive empires that are happy to trade lives for dominance" does not equate to Neo-Nazi death squads and I'm kind of a bit flummoxed as to how you'd draw that comparison.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Politically, Vagabond doesn't win by helping anyone, Vagabond wins by causing indiscriminate murder and chaos

note also he didn't say Neo-Nazi, just ex-nazi. The point (as far as I can tell) isn't that Vagabond is a nazi, just the indiscriminate slaughter in his wake.

e: also, I might be reading too much to what you said, but you seem to be reading anti-imperialist motives to the Vagabond's actions. But you don't just get points for burning down Eyries and the Marquis's industry, but anyone and anything.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 15, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Staltran posted:

note also he didn't say Neo-Nazi, just ex-nazi. The point (as far as I can tell) isn't that Vagabond is a nazi, just the indiscriminate slaughter in his wake.

e: also, I might be reading too much to what you said, but you seem to be reading anti-imperialist motives to the Vagabond's actions. But you don't just get points for burning down Eyries and the Marquis's industry, but anyone and anything.

But that doesn't really undermine the Vagabond as an anti-imperialist, it just shows that they don't consider any of the other factions to be 'good' empires.

I'm haven't picked up the game yet, so I'm only going off of what has been written here, but I got a strong sense of the ideas of Mikhail Bakunin off of the Vagabond, in particular the notion of "propaganda of the deed". By destroying the holdings of the various factions and killing their troops the Vagabond/Anarchist/Folk Hero creates the idea that the various proto-states are not omnipotent, and life is possible without their rule is possible.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Servetus posted:

But that doesn't really undermine the Vagabond as an anti-imperialist, it just shows that they don't consider any of the other factions to be 'good' empires.

I'm haven't picked up the game yet, so I'm only going off of what has been written here, but I got a strong sense of the ideas of Mikhail Bakunin off of the Vagabond, in particular the notion of "propaganda of the deed". By destroying the holdings of the various factions and killing their troops the Vagabond/Anarchist/Folk Hero creates the idea that the various proto-states are not omnipotent, and life is possible without their rule is possible.

Yeah this is more how I saw the Vagabond. From reading this thread, which has been my only exposure to Root, they seem more to be "gently caress all of you" which is a valid point because, from what I've been told, everyone in Root is a dickhead. The wish to break the board and go "no to all of the above" seems understandable.

And the indiscriminate slaughter is because the great powers would sooner sacrifice people for the sake of "success" instead of letting people live as they wish.

I do apologise for the misread on what sort of White Supremacist bastard Vagabond is compared to, as I do think it does make a difference, but to claim its equivalent to a YouTube debate bro? That seems daft if you'll pardon me.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 15, 2022

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Courier ending in F:NV is the first thing that springs to mind.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Xander77 posted:

gently caress I knew there was a better analogy!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah this is more how I saw the Vagabond. From reading this thread, which has been my only exposure to Root, they seem more to be "gently caress all of you"
This isn't entirely accurate in two ways.

The Vagabond can made mutually beneficial trades with all of the other factions, one of the few instances in the game of a mechanism that explicitly allows for the possibility of a positive sum interaction. In some respects it's the inverse of fighting the Vagabond, since if everyone trades with the Vagabond the Vagabond will be in the strongest position.

Rarely but more interestingly the Vagabond can permanently ally with a faction, opening up the possibility of a combined win. This won't happen in most games but it's an unusual alternate victory condition for them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xander77 posted:

The courier ending? What one do you mean?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean that could mean a Vagabond simply finds an accommodation with a particular faction. Personally I did not know this. Thank you for letting me know!

Arivia posted:

The courier ending? What one do you mean?

Essentially you choose to tell Mr House, the Legion and the NCR to gently caress themselves as you take over the entirety of Nevada as a separate beginning to a state. Much of it is predicated on you finding none of the other factions to be in line with what you believe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Essentially you choose to tell Mr House, the Legion and the NCR to gently caress themselves as you take over the entirety of Nevada as a separate beginning to a state. Much of it is predicated on you finding none of the other factions to be in line with what you believe.

Oh, you mean Yes Man. Gotcha. I've never heard anyone call it the "Courier ending" before, I was wondering if you meant the ending of Lonesome Road or something.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Triskelli posted:

The craziest part is the designers didn’t discover these hyper-aggressive strategies before the public beta testing, and had to nerf how many points they got for fighting people multiple times. It was so bad initially that even fighting a roided out Vagabond scored them points outside the vagabonds’ turn.

Would have loved to see how the designers played the game in private playtesting, the other ways the Vagabond can score points such as completing quests or becoming allies with another faction are such uphill struggles in comparison.

So why haven't they fixed the Vagabond? What would make it fun for everyone?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The New Vegas Courier is a great example of what kind of political figure an 'apolitical lone hero' figure like the Vagabond is - you have a setting with a complex political situation, with sides having to make concessions and maintain expensive, cumbersome infrastructure to be about to out compete each other politically. And then you have just this one dorkwad who grinded enough to be able to just topple everyone with just brute force alone. New Vegas stands out a bit from other video game RPGs to actually let you stake out your own rule instead of having to pick a side (if given a choice at all), but it also makes one sort of narrative convention stand out a bit more - nobody really acknowledges how completely bullshit it is. Most of your enemies meet their end after sneering at you and declaring they'll kill you, they rarely even react with shock at the fact that one guy just slaughtered an entire building full of armed mooks. The courier is always underestimated - nobody really seems to grasp the absolute terror that they represent.

In comics there's at least sometimes more of a meta understanding of this - Lex Luthor, when he's written this way, is probably the most sympathetic bad guy in comics. Because he gets it - Superman as a concept is just absolute unhinged bullshit to live with. It's not even about "but what if he already is / might turn / might be replaced by a supervillain" - Superman always acting like a good cop in tights is merely apoplectically bullshit. Superman upholds Democracy, Superman becomes communist, Superman decides to build sky temples to himself, its politically all the same form - its a Superocracy. All of human history and society, changed from a product of struggle and survival, into a madhouse ritual to appease a sentimental god.

The Vagabond's political metaphor is that Superman is a horror story. You're representing mere mortals before a goddamn god, mocking you with their humble clothing and whimsical antics. They're not some lone plucky david before your tyrannical goliath state, they're an A-10 soaring ominously above your medieval morality play. Is the god good? Are they evil? Do they cry little super tears when they burn all your poo poo down, chiding you for being too violent in your woodland regime as they individually become the greatest serial killer in the local history? You understand it doesn't matter. Its loving bullshit.

Fortunately for you, you start every game of Root with a weak vagabond - you get to know the home address of the Kent family and you know they got a little baby that will grow up with the power to fart your entire world into a sun the second he thinks you're being too unfair or some poo poo about how you run things. And to win Root, you must go gather your forces, go forth, and kick that baby's rear end. Really, kick his rear end. Like, six times, hopefully. I'm talking like, Yakuza beatdown mode here, you're using every part of the room to destroy infant Clark and then when he crawls off into a forest you sit tight right outside those woods with your clubs and torches and chase down that little poo poo when he emerges to try to get a little extra hammer from his playpen.

What's the political metaphor of the story? There isn't a metaphor to the story. You just had a mob beat up a super baby. There isn't a metaphor . Its not, it isnt that kind of story. Listen. I'm done talking here.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So why haven't they fixed the Vagabond? What would make it fun for everyone?

Just nerfing their scoring helps. They've gotten better since they're a little less able to just blender their way to victory but they're still an ominous timer on the game board.

I think what'd I'd do is make it so the Vagabond can't solo score in ruled clearings - crafting or questing in a ruled clearing gives points to the ruling faction (and they cannot do it at all in clearings ruled by hostile factions), and they can only score with Infamy in a battle where they're allied to another faction that's in the clearing. Then, rather than the relations tracker being determined only by Aid and whether or not the Vagabond ever kills a piece, have it be something the faction in question sets themselves. So this would steer the Vagabond more in the more interesting Rashamon Yojimbo route, where they're constantly having to flip sides to the weaker factions since they lack any direct means to overtake the frontrunners, and then at the end they have to basically go the Courier route and murder absolutely everyone so they can score.

At least that way when the Vagabond runs away with the game anyways you can point fingers easier, like when the Otters become unstoppable.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 15, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dawg do you mean “the Yojimbo route”?

Rashomon route sounds fascinating but impractical.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

"What if superhero, but evil!" and "haha you fool, any being with that sort of power would be a terror in the real world!" stories/examples with regards to Superman as a monolith always lose the plot since it ignores a great deal many things. The most important one being that Clark's actions in the narrative metaverse actually led to the weakening of the KKK in the real world.

Do you *have* to have a player actually play the Vagabond in a game session?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It also makes the whole argument that "power corrupts" which is something I disagree with. Power doesn't corrupt it reveals, and the fact that people with power refuse to use it well reflects poorly on them. Not on wishing to have and use power. It provides a view of power that is only ever used by the various different levels of bastard who have power in our systems.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Dawg do you mean “the Yojimbo route”?

Rashomon route sounds fascinating but impractical.

no im pretty sure i remember rashamon correctly

but yes i hosed up

citybeatnik posted:

"What if superhero, but evil!" and "haha you fool, any being with that sort of power would be a terror in the real world!" stories/examples with regards to Superman as a monolith always lose the plot since it ignores a great deal many things. The most important one being that Clark's actions in the narrative metaverse actually led to the weakening of the KKK in the real world.

I think the problem with a lot of the "superman turns BAD oh no" stories is just that the only real 'fix' undercuts the entire premise - you have the superhero lose to some other superhero or get talked down, which doesn't really address the fundamental problem, or you have them lose to mundane forces, in which case they weren't really 'super' in the sense of being able to essentially veto the entire political apparatus at any time with their sheer power. Plus the problem isnt the superhero going 'evil' at all, rather just the problem being the unaddressed question of 'what if the political dimension was entirely replaced by superhero fiat'. The one comic series that I know of that sort of went into it was Fist of the North Star, where the states of post-apocalyptic world are basically just cults organized around people who can explode people with their fists. Its not a great world to live in if you can't do that.

The real life analog for this really would be the how gods were treated in antiquity - just ultra powerful entities that you sort of had to work around with ritual and contracts in order to survive in their world. There's a couple of modern analogies of this sort of ritual appeasement of whimsical, alien, unfathomable powers that can sentence you the death by just regarding you with disinterest and they tend to not be happy stories.

citybeatnik posted:

Do you *have* to have a player actually play the Vagabond in a game session?

When the game came out, if you were playing four player (which is how the game was primarily designed), yes. But they've added more factions in expansions so fortunately you can be free of the vagabond menace.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

It also makes the whole argument that "power corrupts" which is something I disagree with. Power doesn't corrupt it reveals, and the fact that people with power refuse to use it well reflects poorly on them. Not on wishing to have and use power. It provides a view of power that is only ever used by the various different levels of bastard who have power in our systems.

Right, but ultimately anyone wielding power in a human society is still a human being. Adolf Hitler famously shot Adolf Hitler to death, and Berija (possibly) poisoned Josif Stalin. There's a handy chart somewhere about causes of death among Roman emperors, and "stabbing" pretty high up there, old age less so.

The point is that Superman, whose origin story is that he has super powers from childhood on, is that they never have to experience human frailty the same way the rest of us do. They fundamentally don't play on the same playing field. "Power corrupts" is a saying about human beings, who tend to abuse or at least sometimes use selfishly power given to them by other human beings. This is not the case with Superman. If he wants to, he can eye-laser San Fransisco to the ground, or whatever other monstrosity you could think of, and there is absolutely nothing you could do to stop him. (In Superman's case there's kryptonite, but we can cite other fiction where there is no such contrivance.) Imagine a 5-year-old having a sugar high temper tantrum, and now imagine they could destroy everything in their path without opposition. Destroy as in raze a few blocks to the ground.

A better comparison than "power corrupts" is that twilight zone episode about the kid who "sends people into the corn". You know how the family around the kid acts, right? Now imagine that's the whole of humanity, all the freaking time.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
But enough about billionaires,

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think the problem with a lot of the "superman turns BAD oh no" stories is just that the only real 'fix' undercuts the entire premise - you have the superhero lose to some other superhero or get talked down, which doesn't really address the fundamental problem, or you have them lose to mundane forces, in which case they weren't really 'super' in the sense of being able to essentially veto the entire political apparatus at any time with their sheer power. Plus the problem isnt the superhero going 'evil' at all, rather just the problem being the unaddressed question of 'what if the political dimension was entirely replaced by superhero fiat'. The one comic series that I know of that sort of went into it was Fist of the North Star, where the states of post-apocalyptic world are basically just cults organized around people who can explode people with their fists. Its not a great world to live in if you can't do that.

The real life analog for this really would be the how gods were treated in antiquity - just ultra powerful entities that you sort of had to work around with ritual and contracts in order to survive in their world.

It's not that the political dimension is replaced by superhero fiat, but rather that superhero fiat is an analogy for the political dimension.

Like, ultra powerful entities that we sort of have to work around with ritual and contracts in order to survive in this world already exist. That's any given bureaucracy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Superman has to be born that way because no one is trying to turn themselves into a supergod who isn't already an rear end in a top hat.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Superman has to be born that way because no one is trying to turn themselves into a supergod who isn't already an rear end in a top hat.

:doom:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
For those wondering about Vagabond nerfs, the competitive Root scene devised what they call Despot Infamy. Basically, when removing pieces from a faction that they are infamous with, instead of getting an additional point per piece, they get one per battle in which a piece was removed. This is similar to how the Despot Eyrie leader works, hence the name.

This guy explains it in this YouTube short.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQ5HYdiiLA

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that the political dimension is replaced by superhero fiat, but rather that superhero fiat is an analogy for the political dimension.

Like, ultra powerful entities that we sort of have to work around with ritual and contracts in order to survive in this world already exist. That's any given bureaucracy.

I will say the different there, as minute as it can be when you're dealing with such entities, is that governments and states are bound and chained by the very things they have to implement to sustain their own power. Genghis Khan famously decided to not murder every peasant since, if he was going to sustain his new empire long term, he'd need a tax base. You can fight and eek out real victories even against a plutocratic state since, as it is far cheaper and efficient to rule by law than by force alone, you can take those very laws and use them against them. This sort of relationship and ongoing series of developments was what gave Marx confidence that the capitalist state would destroy itself in the end. You can espouse a lot on why bureaucracies fundamentally fail to address your needs,, but the entire political theory of why the superhero decided to give you your stolen purse back as opposed to creating new subatomic particles by hitting you in the face really hard just amounts to "well I guess they felt like it".

It is a bit reflected in Root as well where a lot of factions core mechanics form the basis of their weakesses as well - the Eyrie's decree is both the source of their power but becomes ever more fragile. The Marquise needs to build a lot of structures to score but that means spreading out, and with a limited action economy, spreading out means greater vulnerability as opponents score off destroying these structures. Vagabonds don't have a core beyond 'needs items and sometimes other factions craft items you can use', they don't have a base they have to work with, they don't really have anything you can exploit because they are just, as an individual little guy, your political equal. Cuz, well, in a meta sense that's what your typical RPG hero is - an entity unbeholden to the political necessities on the basis of sheer power - and then when put into a game where you have more direct political metaphors, you get Vagabondocracy.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Fortunately for you, you start every game of Root with a weak vagabond - you get to know the home address of the Kent family and you know they got a little baby that will grow up with the power to fart your entire world into a sun the second he thinks you're being too unfair or some poo poo about how you run things. And to win Root, you must go gather your forces, go forth, and kick that baby's rear end. Really, kick his rear end. Like, six times, hopefully. I'm talking like, Yakuza beatdown mode here, you're using every part of the room to destroy infant Clark and then when he crawls off into a forest you sit tight right outside those woods with your clubs and torches and chase down that little poo poo when he emerges to try to get a little extra hammer from his playpen.

So the solution to having Superman to deal with is to guarantee you have Batman/Inigo Montoya/The Punisher/Conan/John Wick/some versions of Robin Hood to deal with by going after Wayne Manor, Locksley village or Frank Castle's house? This is the origin story of the classic vigilante super hero you know.

"We went after this simple farming family and slaughtered the village because a prophecy said this kid would grow up to be a living nightmare. Problem is the kid escaped somehow, then got trained as a warrior to a level few can match, and is now wandering the countryside slaughtering our soldiers in his quest for vengeance."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I will say the different there, as minute as it can be when you're dealing with such entities, is that governments and states are bound and chained by the very things they have to implement to sustain their own power. Genghis Khan famously decided to not murder every peasant since, if he was going to sustain his new empire long term, he'd need a tax base. You can fight and eek out real victories even against a plutocratic state since, as it is far cheaper and efficient to rule by law than by force alone, you can take those very laws and use them against them. This sort of relationship and ongoing series of developments was what gave Marx confidence that the capitalist state would destroy itself in the end. You can espouse a lot on why bureaucracies fundamentally fail to address your needs,, but the entire political theory of why the superhero decided to give you your stolen purse back as opposed to creating new subatomic particles by hitting you in the face really hard just amounts to "well I guess they felt like it".

This seems too fine a distinction to make if you also want to argue that the Otters in Root are capitalists or whatever. If I were to posit that real world ideologies are based on material circumstances while the entire political theory of cute board game animals was "well I guess they chose to play by the rules of the game" you wouldn't find that very convincing.

Stories about superheroes are as much defined by their narrative as games are defined by their rules. I think the largest distinctions between the two are largely downstream of the fact that valuable superheroes IPs are more constrained by market forces than indie table top games.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Servetus posted:

So the solution to having Superman to deal with is to guarantee you have Batman/Inigo Montoya/The Punisher/Conan/John Wick/some versions of Robin Hood to deal with by going after Wayne Manor, Locksley village or Frank Castle's house? This is the origin story of the classic vigilante super hero you know.

"We went after this simple farming family and slaughtered the village because a prophecy said this kid would grow up to be a living nightmare. Problem is the kid escaped somehow, then got trained as a warrior to a level few can match, and is now wandering the countryside slaughtering our soldiers in his quest for vengeance."

Clearly, if the first mistake was trying to kill them, the greater mistake is letting them live.

Schwarzwald posted:

This seems too fine a distinction to make if you also want to argue that the Otters in Root are capitalists or whatever. If I were to posit that real world ideologies are based on material circumstances while the entire political theory of cute board game animals was "well I guess they chose to play by the rules of the game" you wouldn't find that very convincing.

Stories about superheroes are as much defined by their narrative as games are defined by their rules. I think the largest distinctions between the two are largely downstream of the fact that valuable superheroes IPs are more constrained by market forces than indie table top games.

Well there's always stuff like that in fiction, like, even in an explicit political parables you have to actually write a story first and foremost, and you can simplify basically every event occurring in them as 'well, the author basically said so'. Comics are shaped by genre conventions that audiences find comforting, board games are chained by genre conventions like "has to be fun" and "has to be actually playable on some level" (unless its Monopoly I guess). And yeah, even past that for superhero stories to work you have to accept that superman isn't going to overthrow the state or they'll all get terminally boring and serious, and games have to work with abstractions instead of actual material conditions or every game is one of those insanely grog WW2 games.

But even genre conventions, I think, have their own sort of meaning you can look at, including the accommodations made to have these ideas 'work' - like when its been constantly noted how scifi has had a problem with fascist writers living out their ideal worlds cloaked in the traditions of space opera, or how a lot of DnD conventions are intrinsically kind of racist and colonial (and maybe not really accidentially so). And even as glib as I get about making comparisons and poo poo, I'm not really trying to tear down superheroes here or declare them bad, more just sort of playing around with, what I feel, is a funny sort of situation that develops organically in a wargame where one side picks italy, one side picks russia, and then another side goes 'I'll be Goku'. It's a weird kind of clash of concepts, its kind of cool how it works out.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 16, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There was The Authority, which was a comic book series with the rough premise of "The Justice League, but willing to use their powers on politicians".

Memorable events in the series included "brainwash the leaders of israel and palestine to resolve the peace process" and "overthrow the US government in response to the US continuing forbidden interdimensional experiments that almost destroyed the planet in a previous arc".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arivia posted:

Oh, you mean Yes Man. Gotcha. I've never heard anyone call it the "Courier ending" before, I was wondering if you meant the ending of Lonesome Road or something.
Is it the ending where Yes Man ends up ruling NV? Like the Legion ending or House's ending?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xander77 posted:

Is it the ending where Yes Man ends up ruling NV? Like the Legion ending or House's ending?

The Courier ends up ruling New Vegas via knocking off House and taking over his resources, with Yes Man taking his place in the whole network. (and apparently getting an 'assertiveness upgrade', which I think is meant to more imply he's no longer going to obey literally anyone who talks to him, just the Courier)

It's kinda the most vague of the endings in a lot of ways, since it's explicitly open-ended with how you deal with each minor faction, whether they potentially become an ally or are left to their own devices, and the Courier does explicitly not have the same degree of control and precision over the Securitrons and House's infrastructure in general. (especially if for some reason you choose to destroy the Securitron army bunker) Which I'm pretty sure is on purpose, to leave room for the Mojave to develop in whatever way the Courier has influenced it to.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Courier ends up ruling New Vegas via knocking off House and taking over his resources, with Yes Man taking his place in the whole network. (and apparently getting an 'assertiveness upgrade', which I think is meant to more imply he's no longer going to obey literally anyone who talks to him, just the Courier)

It's kinda the most vague of the endings in a lot of ways, since it's explicitly open-ended with how you deal with each minor faction, whether they potentially become an ally or are left to their own devices, and the Courier does explicitly not have the same degree of control and precision over the Securitrons and House's infrastructure in general. (especially if for some reason you choose to destroy the Securitron army bunker)Which I'm pretty sure is on purpose, to leave room for the Mojave to develop in whatever way the Courier has influenced it to.

Because when you have sole control over an unstoppable robot army, that rather undermines "No Gods, No Masters."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Because when you have sole control over an unstoppable robot army, that rather undermines "No Gods, No Masters."

I think the quote was something like, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to create him... or, failing that, an army of robot cowboys, gently caress yeah! *pew pew pew*"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda the most vague of the endings in a lot of ways, since it's explicitly open-ended with how you deal with each minor faction, whether they potentially become an ally or are left to their own devices, and the Courier does explicitly not have the same degree of control and precision over the Securitrons and House's infrastructure in general. (especially if for some reason you choose to destroy the Securitron army bunker) Which I'm pretty sure is on purpose, to leave room for the Mojave to develop in whatever way the Courier has influenced it to.

It's there so that when you, the Courier, kill off everybody else, there's still a way to finish the storyline.

This is also why Yes Man will simply download into a new body when killed, infinitely.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The New Vegas Courier is a great example of what kind of political figure an 'apolitical lone hero' figure like the Vagabond is - you have a setting with a complex political situation, with sides having to make concessions and maintain expensive, cumbersome infrastructure to be about to out compete each other politically. And then you have just this one dorkwad who grinded enough to be able to just topple everyone with just brute force alone. New Vegas stands out a bit from other video game RPGs to actually let you stake out your own rule instead of having to pick a side (if given a choice at all), but it also makes one sort of narrative convention stand out a bit more - nobody really acknowledges how completely bullshit it is. Most of your enemies meet their end after sneering at you and declaring they'll kill you, they rarely even react with shock at the fact that one guy just slaughtered an entire building full of armed mooks. The courier is always underestimated - nobody really seems to grasp the absolute terror that they represent.

I don't think this is specific to the Courier - you can split the Yes Man ending down the middle, between functionally being the same as House (power stemming from a private slave army and monopoly control of most of the regional infrastructure) but with a different autocrat in control, and more broadly the general conceit underpinning all the endings where the invulnerable RPG protagonist teleports all over the map, outgunning and outtalking any and all opposition. textually this is very loosely the Courier as the avatar of luck: the Wild Card, spirit of Vegas or whatever, but this is just cute imagery

as noted it's just the player character getting special narrative privileges because FO:NV is a "toy" that responds to solo player input in interesting ways, rather than a "game" between two players or whatever. it's a big obvious weld job between the RPG foundation and Sawyer's historical materialist narrative approach - but genre conventions and product expectations limit what a designer can do. that's a key difference between the Courier/FO:NV and the Vagabond/Root: the Vagabond is not the only player with agency, the only player that can actually "win" the game

which is to say: we might just be hitting up against the walls of the metaphor here

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
As I recall, it's never actually implied in the ending of the game that you actually assume rulership over the independent Mojave. Getting the ending does involve you carrying out Benny's plan to topple House and take over, but I'm not sure you ever actually get the opportunity to affirm at any point that taking over is what you are intending to do. You can certainly infer that, since you probably have command over a vast securitron army, that your character does take over, but the game is strangely uninterested in having the player character articulate what "an independent Mojave" actually means to them.

So you get this weird thing where the ending recognises you as "responsible for independence" but that's it.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 16, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

As I recall, it's never actually implied in the ending of the game that you actually assume rulership over the independent Mojave. Getting the ending does involve you carrying out Benny's plan to topple House and take over, but I'm not sure you ever actually get the opportunity to affirm at any point that taking over is what you are intending to do. You can certainly infer that, since you probably have command over a vast securitron army, that your character does take over, but the game is strangely uninterested in having the player character articulate what "an independent Mojave" actually means to them.

So you get this weird thing where the ending recognises you as "responsible for independence" but that's it.

It's easy to miss, but there is an opportunity to decide what your New Vegas is going to be. As part of Finishing Touches Part 2, if you have high reputation with the Followers of the Apocalypse, you can talk to Julie Farkas about what you want Freeside to be like and how regular people should be cared for.

You also get to very squarely say what you're doing when you face down General Oliver at the Dam, whether you're going "this is my town now, get out" or "yeah I just did all this to give it to the NCR mostly."

The ending slides undercut the bit with the Followers, but you are actively making choices with Yes Man about who you're ignoring, who you're including and why or how, and so on. If you just skip all of Side Bets you've made dramatically different choices than if you actually engage with any or all of the factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Quoting myself from the Board Games thread, I wonder if this thread would be interested in this sort of topic.

Magnetic North posted:

I think about this sometimes. This kind of question is inherent in certain politically theme board games. For instance:

• In Fire in the Lake my understanding is that it contains the USA as one of the forces that could possibly win. Obviously if that person is a player, that player needs to be able to win, just due to the way board games generally work. Does having it as a possibility count as historical revisionism and playing into completely impossible ideas peddled by warmongers?
  • In 1960, one player plays as Nixon, a huge racist and bastard. Is it right to have a game where he could become president and, I dunno, the Civil Rights act never happens?
  • In Tomorrow the game is about reducing human population in a Malthusian misunderstanding of overpopulation. Check out this goon and game designer's talk on this. Fun fact: I had somehow never heard of Thomas Malthus before that post, or if I had, I had forgotten. If you want more, this is an exceptionally excellent video about that time in the scientific world.
(I have not personally played any of these games. 1960 is the the type of game that really, really sounds appealing to me but I don't know who I'd play it against, especially now.)

Are any of these topics, ideas, or structures morally grey to include in board games? I don't know, and as a person who has discussed ethics a shitload in his day, I don't really imagine we'll get far talking about it in this thread. But it is something I think about a lot. Is it simply attempting to engage in a topic with intellectual honesty, or is it harmful, potentially a symptom of some deep poor beliefs or even active misinformation?

This is why I imagine that Root is the most famous and popular 'COIN' game ever: the complete fiction of it and the animals divorce it from us and make it appealing to normal folk.