Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

America being antagonists isn't that weird. They're a hegemon with questionable foreign policies where benevolence and exploitation are interchangeable so it's easy to treat them as allies or enemies where the story demands it. Ghost in the Shell's American rump states are run by absolute dicks.

Has Kyoukai Senki ever explained why exactly Japan has been occupied and divided between foreign power blocs?

I'm pretty sure Ghost in the Shell only has one absolute dick rump state, with the other two being more politically irrelevant.

And sort of but not really. Japan's population declining made them have economic turmoil so foreign countries started buying things up and sending troops to maintain stability, but then everyone else came in because (???) and then there was a false flag terrorist attack that set off a war. (Probably set up by the eeevil CEO who's working with the Americans now).

The Japanese Government invited the Americans, but the protagonists started being terrorists against them because (???) to protect the regular Japanese people being abused by foreign powers, like the Australians. And also for some reason the most cutting edge war machines were all being deployed in Japan, so everyone wanted a piece of the action.

I mean, this is a show where there being more advanced drone AI lead directly to there being more manned combat craft deployed by the faction that builds the drones. There's not much logic on display here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

America being antagonists isn't that weird. They're a hegemon with questionable foreign policies where benevolence and exploitation are interchangeable so it's easy to treat them as allies or enemies where the story demands it. Ghost in the Shell's American rump states are run by absolute dicks.

Has Kyoukai Senki ever explained why exactly Japan has been occupied and divided between foreign power blocs?

Japan got divided by Xenophibic Dogwhistles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
did they at least invent some natural resource that would make all the hassle worth it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

did they at least invent some natural resource that would make all the hassle worth it?

Not in the slightest, no.

It's a very, very stupid show.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We should do it in real life, as a joke

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't remember the false flag thing, was that mentioned in Season 1? I guess to them that would explain why the foreign soldiers stationed there can all just arrest and execute Japanese citizens if they feel like it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I don't remember the false flag thing, was that mentioned in Season 1? I guess to them that would explain why the foreign soldiers stationed there can all just arrest and execute Japanese citizens if they feel like it.

It wasn't mentioned until season 2, just a couple episodes ago, when the Americans set off a new false flag where the Graham Aker wannabe hired a sniper to assassinate a senator who was there for the negotiations (but he also had the senator wear a vest so it wouldn't be lethal, because he's plotting something convoluted).

The show is aggressively uninterested in making its politics scan, but it wants to have convoluted politics anyway, presumably because that's what mech anime does.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kyoukai Senki is definitely a cargo cult anime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, like, why would you conquer Japan as part of our method of world conquest? It might make sense if they were like suborning parts of it because Japan produces hella stuff but it's all a bunch of network effects, and it's not like they are abundant in Natural Resource Units other than yamato spirit (which cannot be easily liquified for tanker storage).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There are reasons to conquer places other than natural resources. Right now Japan is crucial to America's dominance of the pacific. If Japan became politically unstable, and especially if China looked like it was going to try to bring Japan into their sphere of influence, America would definitely act to keep the pro-American government propped up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wait until you find out about America

While I’m certainly eager and ready to remind people of Americas bloody history and the various crimes of this state and it’s people, America currently is in a lull period between genocidal episodes while China and Russia are currently engaged in open, full-throated ethnic cleansing, which is a bit of a key difference in topicality.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

While I’m certainly eager and ready to remind people of Americas bloody history and the various crimes of this state and it’s people, America currently is in a lull period between genocidal episodes while China and Russia are currently engaged in open, full-throated ethnic cleansing, which is a bit of a key difference in topicality.

If the mass starvation we are currently causing in Afghanistan counts as a "lull" in our genocides then America really has no right to complain about being depicted as the bad guy in the giant robot cartoon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gripweed posted:

If the mass starvation we are currently causing in Afghanistan counts as a "lull" in our genocides

Buddy,

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
More posting about bad cargo cult mecha less blue check aggro poo poo please

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://youtu.be/mgpRcE-O-SU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

We got like five different American full throated active ethnic cleansings going on right now, if anything we need to be more specific on which one to base our mecha anime villainy on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

More posting about bad cargo cult mecha less blue check aggro poo poo please

Look, Putin's checks aren't going to be clearing much longer. You can't blame them for trying to take advantage as long as they can.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Who was talking positively about Russia at all in any capacity? Where did Putin come into this? What part of any of this led to going a step above 'ok bot'?

Focus, my dude.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's funny not because "America doesn't do bad things like Russia and China" (which, you know, isn't true even if the bad things they're doing are much more high profile right now) and more that Japan's relationship with China has been real bad for the last uhhh let's say "several decades" and their most recent interaction with the other was using the sanctions as an excuse to reaffirm their claim on the Kuril Islands and basically daring Russia to come at them.

But this show was written months ago so what are you gonna do. Also it might be some attempt at dramatic irony that works about as well as everything else seems to.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think the take away from all of this is that Kyoukai Senki is very stupid and seems to have no idea what it's doing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Look, Putin's checks aren't going to be clearing much longer. You can't blame them for trying to take advantage as long as they can.

What the gently caress is this post even

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao at buying into us propaganda. they aren't even good at it any more.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You’re all bots, paid trolls, tankies, fascists, modern-day Neville Chamberlains, quislings, genocide apologists, and nazi sympathizers for not joining me in my call for a new Vandread series.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm watching Code Geass for the first time this villain who got killed showed up in the very next episode. What the hell

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Macross F movie 1 is literally coming to US shores and I haven't seen much discussion of it here. I think that might be more on-topic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes people don't die when they are killed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RangerKarl posted:

Macross F movie 1 is literally coming to US shores and I haven't seen much discussion of it here. I think that might be more on-topic.

Second movie too. Showing tomorrow, everyone should go out and support their local theatres

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's been forever since I watched Code Geass. Was it Jeremiah Gottwald who keeps getting clowned on?

Are there any decent recent western mecha comics out there that aim for a traditional mecha story instead of "standard SF but robots also I guess". I bounced off of season 1 of Pacific Rim The Black and Season 2 doesn't look much better. GenLock was tryhard junk from Rooster Teeth where they think celebrities are a substitute for good writing. So I'm looking at comics because there ain't much else out there for super robots that was made since pacific rim was squandered.

I'd love to see something like Titanfall expanded on. BT is a rare Mech that has a personality.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 15, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

It's been forever since I watched Code Geass. Was it Jeremiah Gottwald who keeps getting clowned on?

Are there any decent recent western mecha comics out there that aim for a traditional mecha story instead of "standard SF but robots also I guess". I bounced off of season 1 of Pacific Rim The Black and Season 2 doesn't look much better. GenLock was tryhard junk from Rooster Teeth where they think celebrities are a substitute for good writing. So I'm looking at comics because there ain't much else out there for super robots that was made since pacific rim was squandered

The first couple issues of Avengers Tech-on were fun Sentai-influenced power armor stuff.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there any decent recent western mecha comics out there that aim for a traditional mecha story instead of "standard SF but robots also I guess". I bounced off of season 1 of Pacific Rim The Black and Season 2 doesn't look much better. GenLock was tryhard junk from Rooster Teeth where they think celebrities are a substitute for good writing. So I'm looking at comics because there ain't much else out there for super robots that was made since pacific rim was squandered.

I'd love to see something like Titanfall expanded on. BT is a rare Mech that has a personality.

Nothing has quite hit the highs of ExoSquad or even the Starship Troopers 3d show.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

RangerKarl posted:

or even the Starship Troopers 3d show.

Its loving wild that Roughnecks existed, a show about war being a miserable and scary affair.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

You’re all bots, paid trolls, tankies, fascists, modern-day Neville Chamberlains, quislings, genocide apologists, and nazi sympathizers for not joining me in my call for a new Vandread series.

If this is what it takes to make Gonzo relevant again *and* to avoid being called a paid troll then I have no choice but to demand more Vandread.

Gaius Marius posted:

Second movie too. Showing tomorrow, everyone should go out and support their local theatres

Wish I could but weirdly my local theater is only showing the second film. There's a theater a reasonable distance away showing the first one but it's being shown in such a tinyass room that I would not feel safe. Plus, I'm gonna be out of town on the one day my local theater is gonna show the second movie. I'm steamed about all of this!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
If Vandread got put in SRW, would the vanguard and dreadnoughts be separate units that combine, or one unit that gets a new attack every time the plot advances?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RangerKarl posted:

Nothing has quite hit the highs of ExoSquad or even the Starship Troopers 3d show.

I forgot about Roughnecks in my list. The Duck and the Marauder are great little mecha. But not exactly "current".

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ardeem posted:

If Vandread got put in SRW, would the vanguard and dreadnoughts be separate units that combine, or one unit that gets a new attack every time the plot advances?

I don't know anything about Vandread, but the latter seems more likely with the way modern SRW games are designed. That's how Gridman worked in 30, for instance.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

If this is what it takes to make Gonzo relevant again *and* to avoid being called a paid troll then I have no choice but to demand more Vandread.

gonzo ftw

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Srice posted:

For a hot minute I misremembered a director stating that a sequel was impossible, but some brief research showed it was for Stellvia.

I guess what I'm trying to say is hell yes, we need more Vandread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RangerKarl posted:

Anyone who can safely see either movie should. They're very different from the series, but still excellent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still think the crude early cg in vandread looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Macross F: False Songstress was pretty alright, I remember it being better, and also better paced but I can't say I had a bad time. The theatre itself didn't have any problems playing it which was nice after them having to restart What Ever Happened to Baby Jane three times from incompetence. The volume during the songs in particular seemed too low, I kinda wanted to rock out when Sheryl was singing, but the low volume served me well through Ranka's garbage performances. The animation held up well enough on the screen, even if the CGI is looking real plasticy and there isn't enough movement for it to be a real deal animated movie. As in there's too much held still frames to pad out dialogue. The way it switches up the plot from Frontier is nice, even if I've forgotten most of it. And the political conspiracy part plays pretty well even if it maybe should've gotten more airtime, the Date with Sheryl was also a highlight but it went on a little long sad as I am to say, they probably should've shortened it a bit to flesh out the Ozma, Kathy, Military guy, Grace plot. As for the detriments, we only get two fights and they're really far apart, Ranka is not even in the running for Alto's heart and the film makes it pretty clear how much closer he is with Sheryl, but she still serves as this annoying macguffin so we have to sit through her bullshit.