Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lmao check the size of the average unplanned forced outages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

TehSaurus posted:

It's like planting a tree. The best time was 20 years ago. The second best time is right now.

I'm still probably not going to do it though.

No I meant it's hot as gently caress even at 3 in the morning lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
105 in Fargo? lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Koirhor posted:

105 in Fargo? lmao

No Country for Old Men

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

one or more tornados are bearing down on green bay wisconsin right now

half the UP has an active tornado watch

normal poo poo

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i was told that i would be safe by the great lakes???

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
holy gently caress is anything being done about any of this poo poo?? ahahahahahahaha FUUUUUUCKKKKK

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

florida remains winning

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Usually things don't shrink in the heat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

weird that ny is the only state that matches its borders on that map, unless the proportions are wonky and thats supposed to be the whole florida panhandle

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

bi crimes posted:

i was told that i would be safe by the great lakes???

when the power dies and we get a wet-bulb event the (upper) great lakes are still going to be cold enough to keep you alive

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

weird that ny is the only state that matches its borders on that map, unless the proportions are wonky and thats supposed to be the whole florida panhandle

it does look like a portion of florida is absorbed into SERC-Southeast

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Demon Of The Fall posted:

holy gently caress is anything being done about any of this poo poo?? ahahahahahahaha FUUUUUUCKKKKK

yeah we’re making it worse

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

laughing is doing something

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
MISO hot

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

i found a solution by watching tv

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As someone who lives near mountains, stopping in the middle of a rock slide is the exact opposite of what you want to do lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Oglethorpe posted:

lmao check the size of the average unplanned forced outages

unplanned forced outages are already here awooooooo

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Don't worry Biden is on it
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1537197367685963782

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

yeah, we're gonna start more wars to get more fossil fuels

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how do you gently caress up canada in the summer? mfers have the AC on when it's 72 degrees out?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

hifi posted:

how do you gently caress up canada in the summer? mfers have the AC on when it's 72 degrees out?

using ambient air tempurature as a cooling system i guess

it'll be like 90-100 degrees there soon lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

OK baizuo posted:

As someone who lives near mountains, stopping in the middle of a rock slide is the exact opposite of what you want to do lol

it always astounds me how, in dangerous situations where you need quick reflexes to avoid death, people pretty normally just do the worst thing.

"oh no rocks are falling off the hill and careening down onto the road where i currently am! better stop and wait for that to finish"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lol he could use the military to nationalize them but instead writes a letter saying that he is very disappointed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Stereotype posted:

it always astounds me how, in dangerous situations where you need quick reflexes to avoid death, people pretty normally just do the worst thing.

"oh no rocks are falling off the hill and careening down onto the road where i currently am! better stop and wait for that to finish"

my dear poster have you seen USA everywhere but PRC, March 2020-:ins:?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Working hard, thank you

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stereotype posted:

The average driver just always assumes that slamming on their brakes is the proper response to any emergency.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What if I used a big tarp to block out some sun

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mobile.twitter.com/NASAJPL/status/1537231371369738240

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

The average driver just always assumes that slamming on their brakes is the proper response to any emergency.

Because generally speaking reducing your energy is the smartest move if you're careening towards someone. Just not when its' careening towards you

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i just saw a tiktok about how we should paint all the roads white

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Cool pavement revealed lower surface temperatures at all times of the day versus traditional asphalt.
Cool pavement had an average surface temperature 10.5 to 12 degrees Fahrenheit lower than traditional asphalt at noon and during the afternoon hours. Surface temperatures at sunrise averaged 2.4 degrees Fahrenheit lower.
Sub-surface temperatures averaged 4.8 degrees Fahrenheit lower in areas treated with cool pavement.
Nighttime air temperature at six feet of height was on average 0.5 degrees Fahrenheit lower over cool pavement than on the non-treated surfaces.
The human experience of heat exposure at noon and the afternoon hours was 5.5 degrees Fahrenheit higher due to surface reflectivity, but similar to walking on a typical concrete sidewalk.
Surface solar reflectivity declined over 10 months from a range of 33 to 38 percent to a range of 19 to 30 percent across all eight neighborhoods. Untreated asphalt has a reflectivity of only 12 percent.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hifi posted:

Cool pavement revealed lower surface temperatures at all times of the day versus traditional asphalt.
Cool pavement had an average surface temperature 10.5 to 12 degrees Fahrenheit lower than traditional asphalt at noon and during the afternoon hours. Surface temperatures at sunrise averaged 2.4 degrees Fahrenheit lower.
Sub-surface temperatures averaged 4.8 degrees Fahrenheit lower in areas treated with cool pavement.
Nighttime air temperature at six feet of height was on average 0.5 degrees Fahrenheit lower over cool pavement than on the non-treated surfaces.
The human experience of heat exposure at noon and the afternoon hours was 5.5 degrees Fahrenheit higher due to surface reflectivity, but similar to walking on a typical concrete sidewalk.
Surface solar reflectivity declined over 10 months from a range of 33 to 38 percent to a range of 19 to 30 percent across all eight neighborhoods. Untreated asphalt has a reflectivity of only 12 percent.

yeah but what are you painting it with? some weird plastic poo poo probably. also what's the reflectivity of whatever used to be there before humans came and bulldozed it all? it was probably plants so they were causing an evapotranspirative effect that you can't mimic with a pure reflector but painting all roads white is still probably better than doing nothing.

i bet we've lost more reflective white ice surface area at the poles than all the road surfaces in the world combined tho haha wrecked

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Studies have found 100% of all legislation occurs indoors. sorry.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

To be clear these are surface temperatures, not air temperatures. Surfaces at southern latitudes, with hot weather, clear sky, and near the annual solar insolation peak can get to 170F (like a metal playground slide).

Phoenix is piloting cool pavement. Kind of mixed results really.

https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/street-transportation/2064

Also note that in the Vegas example, the urban non-street areas are a lot cooler than the surrounding desert. The oasis effect is real.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

paint all the streets white

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Stereotype posted:

doh

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
according to wikipedia there are 65 million kilometers of roads in the world, and if you say the average road width is 6 meters then that's 384 million square kilometers of road area you could paint white.

last year's polar sea ice extent was 410 million square kilometers smaller than the 1980 to 2010 average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Is that a house boat?