Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

haveblue posted:

I just love that elden ring actually has hosed up little men

They suck and managing to backstab one is incredibly satisfying because you basically pin them to the ground like a butterfly in an insect collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Trying to mop up achievements in Titanfall 2 and man this is a well designed game. The hard mode seems like it just reduces your health, not even the bosses feel like bullet sponges and even though you're weaker nothing kills you in one hit, even snipers take 2 or 3. It just feel a lot more fair than a lot of the ones I've run through.
The gauntlet achievement is kicking my rear end to the point where I'm pretty sure I just won't be able to get it, but even that one is designed well. It's short and a loop so you can run it over and over without having to do a bunch of preamble, and they've got a specific restart option built in for that section so if you do screw up you can warp back to the beginning in seconds.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

I don't think I'll ever play ER but someone posted awhile ago showing the Oracle Envoy summons, and I love these discordant little tooters and their slow-rolling melee / horn bubble attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX1VIiabaw8

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Opopanax posted:

Trying to mop up achievements in Titanfall 2 and man this is a well designed game. The hard mode seems like it just reduces your health, not even the bosses feel like bullet sponges and even though you're weaker nothing kills you in one hit, even snipers take 2 or 3. It just feel a lot more fair than a lot of the ones I've run through.
The gauntlet achievement is kicking my rear end to the point where I'm pretty sure I just won't be able to get it, but even that one is designed well. It's short and a loop so you can run it over and over without having to do a bunch of preamble, and they've got a specific restart option built in for that section so if you do screw up you can warp back to the beginning in seconds.

I just played through it and even though it's short it's a drat good game. Movement is a lot of fun and that stop time diorama explosion you run through is great

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I don't think I'll ever play ER but someone posted awhile ago showing the Oracle Envoy summons, and I love these discordant little tooters and their slow-rolling melee / horn bubble attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX1VIiabaw8

You can get the giant horn that the big ones have and toot away to your heart's content. It's actually a pretty decent weapon.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
There’s on envoy early in the capital that just slowly spins along a balcony length and won’t aggro even if you run into it and I love em :kimchi:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

haveblue posted:

Elden Ring has, like, half a dozen variety of hosed up little men.
Vulgar Militia
Demihumans
Misbegotten
Whatever race the traveling merchants are
Albinaurics
Probably more?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Elden Ring has, like, half a dozen variety of hosed up little men.
Vulgar Militia
Demihumans
Misbegotten
Whatever race the traveling merchants are
Albinaurics
Probably more?

You play as a tiny hosed up little person, in fact. Look how the bosses are!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Navi is just the personification of you entering a room, the camera panning over to a switch, then panning over to a locked door, before returning back to the player character. Navi isn't the issue.

Though to be honest that HEY LISTEN sound effect can get grating when you hear it repeatedly. Fi, conversely, was ten times as irritating in what she said but at least wasn't accompanied by an annoying sound effect every time.

The problem is that she doesn't shut up when you're working on side content. Honestly, though, with how dumb and oblivious gamers* tend to be, it was probably the right call.

* non-gamers too. Basically everyone. Including me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Frank Frank posted:

You can get the giant horn that the big ones have and toot away to your heart's content. It's actually a pretty decent weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuCNJS7P9iA

The absolute best. :allears:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I remember one time I had a glitch in Ganondorf's tower where she had something to say it was a helpful hint about how to beak the webs in the deku tree

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agents are GO! posted:

The problem is that she doesn't shut up when you're working on side content. Honestly, though, with how dumb and oblivious gamers* tend to be, it was probably the right call.

* non-gamers too. Basically everyone. Including me.

fondly remembering the time a reviewer didn't go to the big red x in nier and rage quit

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Finally got enough INT in Elden Ring to get Comet Azur, and good lord that is hilarious. You basically Kamehameha a giant energy beam that drains your magic in seconds. But you can combine it with a flask thing that gives you unlimited FP for 10s or so. Doesn't work at all if anything moves though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I struggled a lot with actually getting Comet Azur to land even with summons but I’m glad regardless that Dark Souls lll decided to add a giant laser beam as the ultimate spell and ER chose to keep it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Polaron posted:

One of the enemy types in Elden Ring are these cackling munchkin acrobat types called the Vulgar Militia. They're all about two feet tall and bespoke animations play when you backstab them that emphasize "I am ramming my giant magic sword made of the moon into a very short person". I don't know why those animations come across as particularly brutal to me but I love them.

I love the vulgar militia, they're just little guys trying to get theirs. When I got one of their hats I started wearing it in their honour

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Polaron posted:

One of the enemy types in Elden Ring are these cackling munchkin acrobat types called the Vulgar Militia. They're all about two feet tall and bespoke animations play when you backstab them that emphasize "I am ramming my giant magic sword made of the moon into a very short person". I don't know why those animations come across as particularly brutal to me but I love them.

Maybe they're normal-sized and you're just a grotesque giant. Ever think of that?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Replaying Resident Evil 7, and you get an axe to use for a little bit at the beginning of the game. What I'd forgotten was that it has this little extra animation where it bites into walls and things when you hit them, and Ethan has to spend a tiny bit yanking it back out. Along with the controller feedback, it just feels more satisfyingly tactile than anything else in the game.
I guess this could be in the complaint thread because they quickly take it away due to plot reasons, and the lousy pocketknife you get for the rest of the game doesn't feel like anything special.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Speaking of Resident Evil, the new Playstation subscription thing gave me a perfect excuse to play RE1: Director's Cut in what feels like a decade. I had completely forgotten about the needlessly elaborate hand animations for the tiny section in the labs where you put passwords into a computer. Especially the little finger-gun Chris or Jill does when you put in the right password.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
RE7 was so goddamned good. WTF happened with 8?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Frank Frank posted:

I think a lot of people liked it?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and that's as somebody who didn't really get all too deep into 7. Its main shortcoming was that its first act was very much the strongest, and each successive one got a little bit worse both in style as well as gameplay. Also you could very much see the parts where quite significant cuts and reshuffling have taken place.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and that's as somebody who didn't really get all too deep into 7. Its main shortcoming was that its first act was very much the strongest, and each successive one got a little bit worse both in style as well as gameplay. Also you could very much see the parts where quite significant cuts and reshuffling have taken place.

I liked 7’s Texas chainsaw massacre vibe a lot more than 8’s “big giant lady meets the gurgling fishmonster” vibe I guess. I dunno. Just didn’t enjoy 8 nearly as much (except for that ONE part that seemed like it was ripped from an entirely different game)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

I haven't played it yet, but all I know about it is a lot of people apparently have giantess fetishes that they didn't realize until the game came out. That's literally all I know about the game because that's all people would talk about when it came out.

That, and apparently the game is fun?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Randalor posted:

I haven't played it yet, but all I know about it is a lot of people apparently have giantess fetishes that they didn't realize until the game came out. That's literally all I know about the game because that's all people would talk about when it came out.

That, and apparently the game is fun?

Same playstyle as 7 with a slightly heavier emphasis on action/gunplay. Most of the horror elements have been removed except for that one part. If you haven’t had it ruined for you yet, it would be criminal for me to do so It’s “ok” but not great. The big giant lady is only in the game for the first 45 minutes

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Back to La Mulana for just a second. The music for the final boss fight entitled, “Good Night Mom” is cool not just because it is absolutely fun to listen to but the boss’ gimmick is that she slowly gains all of the attacks from all of the other bosses in the game over the course of the fight. Likewise, the music played during the fight is a remix of a whole bunch of the area themes throughout the game and I never noticed how seamlessly they blended together until they are arranged like that.

I am sad that Nigoro has said there will never be a La Mulana 3

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In FFX-2, if you have a heal spell queued up or even a phoenix down being readied and you kill the last enemy in a battle, the game will let those queued actions fire off. I can't count the times I tried to revive someone just for the battle to end and that person not getting xp for the battle.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Leal posted:

In FFX-2, if you have a heal spell queued up or even a phoenix down being readied and you kill the last enemy in a battle, the game will let those queued actions fire off. I can't count the times I tried to revive someone just for the battle to end and that person not getting xp for the battle.

I absolutely love this feature, one of my favorite little things about one of my favorite games for sure

My other favorite thing about the game is that enemies can get staggered by attacks. So if you time your attacks right, especially with some classes like Gunner, you can actually prevent even some bosses from ever taking a turn

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
FFX-2 had a dumb-as-hell storyline but I absolutely fell in love with the combat system - it's probably my favourite combat in any turn-based RPG ever, with all its little touches to make things flow faster and with as little of the tedium of typical turn-based combat as possible.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Most of the horror elements have been removed except for that one part. If you haven’t had it ruined for you yet, it would be criminal for me to do so

I think there's a lot of horror in 8, it's just that That One Part feels vastly different than the rest of the game.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

grittyreboot posted:

I think there's a lot of horror in 8, it's just that That One Part feels vastly different than the rest of the game.

Did any other part of the game genuinely scare you? I can’t think of a place other than “that part”

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Did any other part of the game genuinely scare you? I can’t think of a place other than “that part”

The forest and village at the start of the game were spooky. The factory had some ominous moments. But yeah I shoulda said the game used a lot of horror imagery. Resident Evil feels a lot like Evil Dead. Neither of them are necessarily trying to be scary, they're trying to be more of a fun house experience.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

grittyreboot posted:

The forest and village at the start of the game were spooky. The factory had some ominous moments. But yeah I shoulda said the game used a lot of horror imagery. Resident Evil feels a lot like Evil Dead. Neither of them are necessarily trying to be scary, they're trying to be more of a fun house experience.

The factory just seemed tedious to me. Was definitely my least favorite part of the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I miss the vibe of RE1/2/3/CV. I've tried RE4 and up a few times, they just don't do anything for me. :(

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Agents are GO! posted:

I miss the vibe of RE1/2/3/CV. I've tried RE4 and up a few times, they just don't do anything for me. :(

RE4 was super fun in VR.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

RE4 was super fun in VR.

Yeah, but it sure wasn't horror.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
re7+8 are different vibes than 4-6, fwiw

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Obviously horror is very subjective but the first 2/3 of 7 really landed well for me. The first hour or two in particular is some of the scariest stuff I’ve seen in a game. What’s kind of great is that by the end Ethan is so sick and tired of all the monsters and death traps and bullshit that he stops freaking out, starts swearing angrily at the baddies, and goes kinda Doomguy on everyone.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, but it sure wasn't horror.

I’m curious to see what the remake will be like.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This actually reminds me of one of my favorite things in RE7 - the Baker’s idiot failson isn’t infected with the E-Type mold at all and is in fact immune, he’s just a cannibalistic psychopath anyway

Also, having the main enemy in the game being aggressive black mold in a house on a Louisiana swamp is kinda genius in a darkly funny way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm playing RE7&8 back to back, and the difference is pretty big. 7 also changes gears around the midpoint, but the first half in particular has a whole lot of tense wandering around (even if it's interspersed with crazy chainsaw battles and such). Then it gets noticeable more action oriented as it goes on. I mostly like that stuff too, but I think it would be stronger if it stayed more in the horror side.

8 really does feel like a funhouse almost from the start, there's tense stuff and horror trappings, but that one particular section fills have mentioned is the only time that I think it actually goes for a real horror mood. I think the game works well overall because it's more action-y from the start and mostly sticks with it.