Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Warbird posted:

Was their a inshow reason for the change?

I think it was small steps and the episode where Quagmire meets the female version of himself that takes kinky stuff WAY too far is when they finally dropped it.

I could be wrong but that's my theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wasn't there an episode where he found out he had a daughter and that was the thing that changed him or something? That's what I remember reading anyway

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
His last big YIKES plotline was in 2015 when you meet his awful mother, he’s been pretty tame since then

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Bust Rodd posted:

They’ve done multiple episodes about Quagmires past coming back to haunt him and asking forgiveness for his trespasses, they just can’t make “I used to rape all the time” into a long running bit like making Stevie a pervert or Lois a lazy bad mom

I definitely haven't seen those episodes, but again, that's a pretty dire character trait and I'm really not sure how you come back from that. But I guess they have, so what do I know.

Even the the pre-cancellation seasons he was mostly a horny playboy who wanted to bang Lois and wasn't subtle about it. The, "I will do anything to you--anything for you" I still think is a great line.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
HBO has ordered an animated series based on this 2016 Toonami/Adult Swim short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRzemJbUsw

https://twitter.com/AnimationOnMax/status/1537105012274483200?t=1L-Ysi4sehO6g5uxrv-KRg&s=19

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 15, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Something I can't put my finger on felt off. I like the concept, but it felt like the animation didn't fit with it. It might work fine. I kept thinking I want to see this with a higher budget while watching but reflecting I think it's the color pallet. It's too bright for such a bleak world.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDPJQgxegiU

Inside Job part 2 first look.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Survival Crafting game the animated series is a strong enough premise, but it nothing in the trailer particularly excited me, and I'm not a fan of mutating blorbs as either transcendental dream sequences or real-life whatever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Survival Crafting game the animated series is a strong enough premise, but it nothing in the trailer particularly excited me, and I'm not a fan of mutating blorbs as either transcendental dream sequences or real-life whatever.

It's certainly looks impressive and exciting if both uncomfortably beautiful and horrifying at the same time. The Voice acting needed work though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got some bad news for anyone holding out for a Duckman remake.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Warbird posted:

Got some bad news for anyone holding out for a Duckman remake.

...well? What is it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vandar posted:

...well? What is it?

Creator died

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God damnit. :(

https://www.animationmagazine.net/people/passings/duckman-creator-everett-peck-dies-age-71/

No cause of death was released but he was 71 so odds are its something health related. RIP my dude.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/aaronburdette/status/1537545986490265600?s=21&t=fI4CVWvDNxF6f0gV78ibqQ

Any industry folks have insight or this ongoing bullshit that animators are dealing with? Some kind of union push that got killed in the cradle?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I like Birdgirl, but am I the only one who thinks the episodes would be better served at 11 minutes? I've seen the first three and it feels like they drag on too long.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like Birdgirl, but am I the only one who thinks the episodes would be better served at 11 minutes? I've seen the first three and it feels like they drag on too long.

Yeah same. I haven't watched them all but every time I do I think "this is too long and you could probably pack all the same jokes into a smaller package"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Gonna meet Owl Daddy's Daddy

https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1538620179390664705?t=alXFs5M1Ew7ylO0iQ24v_Q&s=19

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hell, same

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

And I scream from the top of my lungs, what's going on?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I think the main/only reason I watch and somewhat enjoy Birdgirl is that Paget Brewster is a joy in the role.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 22, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Episodes 4 and 5 better fit the 22-minute format.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I think the main/only reason I watch and somewhat enjoy Birdgirl is that Paget Brewster is a joy in the role.

John Doman is a bipedal dog wearing a hat.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/F0rtuneL0wT1er/status/1539438761443983361

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems plausible, especially the bit about blowing all their budget on celebrity voice talent (trying to get weird al, are you serious)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat, I had no idea that the animators on that show were doing it in their part time for free, holy poo poo! Working a 40 hour work week (with shifts starting at 4 AM sometimes?????) and then going home to draw a horny demon cartoon for 4-6 hours a night, JFC!!!!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weird Al does show up in a lot of cartoons, so I think he's open to the idea generally, but he also famously works clean, so he wouldn't be a good fit for an edgy adult cartoon about sex and swearing.

Bust Rodd posted:

drat, I had no idea that the animators on that show were doing it in their part time for free, holy poo poo! Working a 40 hour work week (with shifts starting at 4 AM sometimes?????) and then going home to draw a horny demon cartoon for 4-6 hours a night, JFC!!!!

Well, that's how most internet projects end up getting made. It's seldom that you get the money to support yourself off of it up front, so you do it in your free time. It's worth appreciating that about a lot of internet content creators, especially the ones who don't hit the big time enough to sustain themselves off their hobby.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly assumed it was like podcasting where everyone just has a Patreon and that’s where all the cash comes from, the fans directly.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
yeah thats uh p nuts. Only way they made money was doing double shift work

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you can't have deadlines and act as if you're doing a professional production and not pay people fairly. if people are volunteering their time animating at a TV-level of quality, expecting them to meet tight deadlines is amateur hour behavior. having people come on calls to poo poo on popular cartoons by peers goes beyond amateur hour, into "you should not be a showrunner" territory

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not sure what Viv’s industry experience is but you see this kind of thing a LOT with indy artists who suddenly find themselves as small business owners or managing large projects. Managing people/budgets/etc is a VERY different skill set from making the product itself and a lot of people either don’t have the proper training and experience or just aren’t built for that aspect of things. It’s not (necessarily) that Viv is a bad person. She could just be way in over her head and not handling it well.

Its why successful projects like this tend to come from people who have already managed productions within a large business. If you work for Disney or CN there’s usually an infrastructure in place to help teach you how to actually be a manager and support you while you learn the ropes. There are still problems with crunch and such, obviously, but there are at least ~some~ guardrails in place.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not allowing artists to speak positively about other shows or work on other projects, and threatening other creators not to use 'her artists', as that post alleges, goes beyond being over her head and into narcissism territory

that kind of conduct should not be acceptable in this industry at a baseline level (though some stuff along those lines does happen)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I find it kind of funny how one of the allegations involves Vivzie badmouthing Dana Terrace for being a terrible boss. First of all because lol irony but secondly cos I'm pretty sure the most evidence we have of this being true is, like always, random posts on /co/ and maybe like one former DTVA employee who wasn't exactly very stable. There's a nonzero chance that's literally her source for the rumors too, rather than actual industry gossip

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

This is all real loving disappointing to hear. Goddamnit :ohno:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does this count as a milkshake duck or is that only for being a horrible racist?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

that kind of conduct should not be acceptable in this industry at a baseline level (though some stuff along those lines does happen)

Well, it might not be. But this is outside the industry at large. This is another danger of indie projects where people don't have bosses trained in administration or other people to keep them in line.

A lot of neat things can happen in the indie space, away from the restrictions and conventions of the mainstream, but it is dangerous. I've seen it a lot with internet groups.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

You see it in Indie games, too

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Does this count as a milkshake duck or is that only for being a horrible racist?

I'm pretty sure that works for any "internet darling is revealed as bad behind the scenes"

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Hazbin Hotel was so awful that I never gave Helluva Boss a chance no matter how many good things I heard about it. This is a pleasant relief. :munch:

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Y'all remember Cybersix? Cybersix was sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAN2VJKa_k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/dettlefff/status/1540165862547546113?s=21&t=Iowj0obzlHD1ggoOqKmfAg

The staff of this show seems split RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE about whether or not this woman is a micromanaging psychopathic poo poo talker or a flexible and fun boss who maintains a chill and sensible work environment.

https://twitter.com/nananeroy/status/1540238433486086146?s=21&t=Iowj0obzlHD1ggoOqKmfAg

https://twitter.com/zippythewicked/status/1540273807012798464?s=21&t=Iowj0obzlHD1ggoOqKmfAg

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 24, 2022