Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I worked at a Regal Cinemas in the late 90's, so I am intimately familiar with this, can't say I recall ever seeing it so clean, because the reel was dirty and beat to all hell by 1997

Cartoon Man posted:

Was chatting about this in the blessed thread, this was one of my all time favorite shows as a kid.

https://youtu.be/bhef_fxMQP0

gently caress Ninja Warrior, bring this poo poo back! Get somebody at Netflix to make an adult version of this!

There was a new Legends of the Hidden Temple airing on the CW at some point last year. I watched an episode of it, it was ok, but much like the rest of the CW for the last decade, I wasn't quite compelled to seek it out every week. It was all ~30 year olds in the temple :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Cartoon Man posted:

Was chatting about this in the blessed thread, this was one of my all time favorite shows as a kid.

gently caress Ninja Warrior, bring this poo poo back! Get somebody at Netflix to make an adult version of this!

I hate to break it to you, but they did that already.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydp-vqaDzQM

....but it's not even close to as good, though :negative:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I hate to break it to you, but they did that already.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydp-vqaDzQM

....but it's not even close to as good, though :negative:

gently caress

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cartoon Man posted:

THE MONKEY AIN'T THAT HARD TO PUT TOGETHER WHY CAN NOBODY DO IT RIGHT

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress

It's even worse than that. They didn't advertise it for poo poo and quietly canceled it after one season.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Vandar posted:

THE MONKEY AIN'T THAT HARD TO PUT TOGETHER WHY CAN NOBODY DO IT RIGHT

I remember reading they had multiple versions of the monkey, some of which didn't fit together.

Not sure why, just assume TV producers of kids shows are monsters.

EDIT: after watching a couple videos, I don't think it was the same show, but I can definitely remember one goon who worked in TV talking about loving over some teams of kids so a specific team won.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Jun 15, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

It's even worse than that. They didn't advertise it for poo poo and quietly canceled it after one season.

It also didn't help that it came on at 9:00, them's prime party hours for younger millennials, and prime sleeping hours for us older millennials who have to get up at 5 in the morning

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember reading they had multiple versions of the monkey, some of which didn't fit together.

Not sure why, just assume TV producers of kids shows are monsters.

EDIT: after watching a couple videos, I don't think it was the same show, but I can definitely remember one goon who worked in TV talking about loving over some teams of kids so a specific team won.

I think there was also a thing where some of the showings were filmed late in the afternoon but everyone was brought in early in the morning, and (maybe by design) sufficient catering wasn't really provided for the kids so they were just exhausted and hungry by the time they had to put that fucker together

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pretty soft girl posted:

I think there was also a thing where some of the showings were filmed late in the afternoon but everyone was brought in early in the morning, and (maybe by design) sufficient catering wasn't really provided for the kids so they were just exhausted and hungry by the time they had to put that fucker together

It's not like they had expensive prizes on that show, like second place was a bottle of Nestle's Quick, they could have at least put more money into the craft services table.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

pretty soft girl posted:

The other issue is that many of the kids on the show had never seen the show.
The first season was likely filmed all in the span of a couple weeks, a few shows a day, taking kids from people doing the Nickelodeon Studio tour or whatever. To them, this was a brand new show, it's not like they were filming one a day/week, putting it on the air, then doing another one the next day/week.

Sure, they could kind of see the kids who went before them put one together...but with how the stage might have been laid out, who know if they even had a good angle or were close enough to even see anything at all.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Swear to god they still play this to this day. I KNOW I have seen this in the last 5 years.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

How would... Why would... What? :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Animal-Mother posted:

It's a trackball mouse with buttons, what's to get? :shrug:

The only real bad part of it is the ball's loose rather than secured.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Also it has "Space" in the name so it's obviously the future.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Animal-Mother posted:

It's 3D. It's THE FUTURE

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I was more astounded by the fact that those things retailed for $1200...in 1991. :popeye:

https://spacemice.org/index.php?title=Spaceball_2003

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Unperson_47 posted:

Also it has "Space" in the name so it's obviously the future.

Actually that's a 3D mouse, they're used a lot in engineering and other 3D design applications. This is what the current (cheap) version looks like:

I actually have one on my desk. They continued to use a ball up until about 15 years ago when they were phased out for the hockey puck you see there.

This is the version I started with in 2006 (and still my favorite TBH):

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

dialhforhero posted:

Swear to god they still play this to this day. I KNOW I have seen this in the last 5 years.

I went to a Regal a couple weeks ago to see Everything Everywhere All At Once and they definitely had a version of this play! But it was all Minions-themed :sigh:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

What can I do
We just live in a zoo
All I do is play
The spaceball ricochet

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

Actually that's a 3D mouse, they're used a lot in engineering and other 3D design applications. This is what the current (cheap) version looks like:

I am pretty sure that's what The Rocinante uses for steering in The Expanse.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

It's basically like a joystick but not. It's designed for use with any kind of software that deals heavily in 3D. In addition to the X-Y movement that you get on a normal mouse, you can also twist the ball and pull/push the ball to rotate or move something in the Z axis as well.

Porfiriato posted:

I was more astounded by the fact that those things retailed for $1200...in 1991. :popeye:

https://spacemice.org/index.php?title=Spaceball_2003

It was also hooking up to workstations that cost $10k so really it was cheap in the grand scheme of things :eng101:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So you actually rock that ball around with your palm like a joystick or stylus?

Edit: oh you said that. I couldn't comprehend how the thing was supposed to work but seeing it from the side makes it make more sense

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Heath posted:

So you actually rock that ball around with your palm like a joystick or stylus?

Edit: oh you said that. I couldn't comprehend how the thing was supposed to work but seeing it from the side makes it make more sense

I can't speak for that specific model, but I doubt it's much different from the ones I have used, and yes. It takes some practice, but once you get used to it, it feels like you're missing an arm if you can't use it in 3D applications.

You push down or pull up to zoom, push forward, back, and side to side for a pan, and twist it for rotation, or any combination of the above.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Physically you are too. You had a terrible accident, we were worried about you.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
airy, lots of natural light and plenty of room for a nice big bed. yes, i do think i could die in a Wendy's.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I don't know why that image perfectly captures my state of mind today, but it does.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's one of those in Chicago that's now used by a nearby hardware store:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
There's one in the plaza next door to my old apartment complex across town that's now a pizza place.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just a bit if cross promotion

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003404&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=0#post523836841

Over in BSS X-O is doing a retrospective of Wizard Magazine, posting scans of issues.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This thread is now for posting your local Wendy's sun room and I'm here for it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Restaurants were cool in the 90s and now they are boring. Fast food places are boring now. Where’s the salad bar at Wendy’s where’s the big play area at McDonald’s where’s burger king

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Best we can do is grey boxes

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This Wendy's nearish to me in Clermont, FL kept the sunroom even though the rest of the building was modernized to the current brand standards.

With a nice view of the highway.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This Wendy's nearish to me in Clermont, FL kept the sunroom even though the rest of the building was modernized to the current brand standards.

My local Wendy's was still a good place to eat until their COVID-interrupted remodel (sunroom intact). It looks exactly like the above.

Then they finished the remodel, reopened, and for some reason the food isn't good anymore. Everything's in smaller portions and all dried out, and of course the prices are higher. The 90s didn't end all at once, and another portion of that decade died that day.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

This is my current view of the old Wendy’s sunroom from the bar across the street. It’s been several restaurants since the Wendy’s closed in the late 90’s. Currently it’s a Mediterranean place.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Overbite posted:

Restaurants were cool in the 90s and now they are boring. Fast food places are boring now. Where’s the salad bar at Wendy’s where’s the big play area at McDonald’s where’s burger king

I really hungry for the SuperBar now. I'm sure it was actually awful, but the nostalgia is real.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Unperson_47 posted:

This thread is now for posting your local Wendy's sun room and I'm here for it.

Someone drove into ours a few years ago and they had to remodel. Got rid of the old signs for the baked potato bar in the process.

Edit: Superbar! That's what it was called.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Zero One posted:

With a nice view of the highway.

doctorfrog posted:

My local Wendy's was still a good place to eat until their COVID-interrupted remodel (sunroom intact). It looks exactly like the above.

Then they finished the remodel, reopened, and for some reason the food isn't good anymore. Everything's in smaller portions and all dried out, and of course the prices are higher. The 90s didn't end all at once, and another portion of that decade died that day.

I like to imagine that you two are standing next to each other, posting in the same thread, enjoying some Baconator fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Neito posted:

I like to imagine that you two are standing next to each other, posting in the same thread, enjoying some Baconator fries.

I actually have a friend who lives in Clermont, and I was talking to him yesterday how it would be cool if we could just go to our local identical Wendy's and through some dimensional chicanery both meet up for lunch.