Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I mean, when your mom is a giant bug and your dad is a psychopathic mold monster who feeds you human parts - might as well go with the flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe they Metroidvania'd Ethan but didn't make him scared again afterwards. Smh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe they Metroidvania'd Ethan but didn't make him scared again afterwards. Smh

by the end of the game it stops bugging you imo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
regarding re8 is the horror part yall talking about the Giant Baby?

i havent played myself it but i did watch Jerma play it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

verbal enema posted:

Yeah, both that area in general plus that particular bit. A real :stare: moment when that shows up, in a different way than than what the franchise goes for.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Yeah. That was the only time I ever had an outward reaction to something scary in a video game. I shouted "oh my God" loud enough to wake my gf.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I really should try 8, I’ve had it sitting in shrink wrap for ages and just haven’t had the chance to install it and fire it up. I played 7 through in pretty much a single sitting after a few false starts, I really only get into the RE games when I can sink a good chunk of time into them all at once.

E: okay I just started it and was about to make a post in the other thread about the ending choice from 7 that it canonizes but holy poo poo what the gently caress complaint rescinded

E2: did Ethan’s left hand piss off a witch or something wtf

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Jun 16, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

grittyreboot posted:

Yeah. That was the only time I ever had an outward reaction to something scary in a video game. I shouted "oh my God" loud enough to wake my gf.

SGF's LP of that part was fantastic

He wasn't phased by it in the slightest

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

verbal enema posted:

Yes. The way the tension builds where you KNOW something is coming and you’re utterly defenseless and then that thing comes gurgling and shuffling out of the gloom. Genuinely frightened me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Frank Frank posted:

Yes. The way the tension builds where you KNOW something is coming and you’re utterly defenseless and then that thing comes gurgling and shuffling out of the gloom. Genuinely frightened me.

One of the most effective ways they did that for me was having a bunch of cabinets and stuff to hide in/under, even in rooms where you wouldn't actually need to go. Made me think that any moment something would jump out that I'd need to hide from...aaaany minute now....

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The things I would do for a new resident evil outbreak game, or even a modern remaster with working online, are long and numerous

One of my favorite little things in the game, and the game is absolutely full of little things to love in multiplayer (the single player with bots is god awful), is that the co-op actions you can perform really emphasize that this group of people are an impromptu team

For example, like a lot of the classic resident evil games as you take damage you start using different movement animations. Once you get to caution in outbreak you sort of slowly limp along, however a condition good teammate can actually offer you their shoulder and help you move much faster at the cost of being able to defend themselves.

Zombies can break down doors in outbreak, and follow blood trails to find people in different rooms (another reason you don't want to be in caution), so while someone is solving a puzzle another player can actually press themselves up against the door to brace it and slow the zombies down.

Please Capcom, my people yearn for multiplayer co-op survival horror

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Capcom listened to your prayers!

Unfortunately the connection on the line was spotty so they only heard "multiplayer" and "horror" and you're getting RE:Verse.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The things I would do for a new resident evil outbreak game, or even a modern remaster with working online, are long and numerous

One of my favorite little things in the game, and the game is absolutely full of little things to love in multiplayer (the single player with bots is god awful), is that the co-op actions you can perform really emphasize that this group of people are an impromptu team

For example, like a lot of the classic resident evil games as you take damage you start using different movement animations. Once you get to caution in outbreak you sort of slowly limp along, however a condition good teammate can actually offer you their shoulder and help you move much faster at the cost of being able to defend themselves.

Zombies can break down doors in outbreak, and follow blood trails to find people in different rooms (another reason you don't want to be in caution), so while someone is solving a puzzle another player can actually press themselves up against the door to brace it and slow the zombies down.

Please Capcom, my people yearn for multiplayer co-op survival horror

drat this sounds awesome as hell

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rockman Reserve posted:

This actually reminds me of one of my favorite things in RE7 - the Baker’s idiot failson isn’t infected with the E-Type mold at all and is in fact immune, he’s just a cannibalistic psychopath anyway

Also, having the main enemy in the game being aggressive black mold in a house on a Louisiana swamp is kinda genius in a darkly funny way.

That’s… not true though? He’s taking some kind of mysterious counterdrugs to keep Evie out of his head but he’s definitely infected. Being a cannibalistic psychopath doesn’t make your hands grow back, plus he’s the final boss of Not A Hero.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Kept falling into an open manhole in TMNT Shredder's Revenge

10/10 game, thank you.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mierenneuker posted:

Capcom listened to your prayers!

Unfortunately the connection on the line was spotty so they only heard "multiplayer" and "horror" and you're getting* RE:Verse.

*Eventually, probably. Maybe.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

verbal enema posted:

drat this sounds awesome as hell

it was!

Another really cool design decision is that the game WAY predates voice chat being part of any platform (since it.. you know.. used the PS2 modem to work). In theory Socom and stuff had done voice chat, and they could've supported a keyboard, but they decided to have keyboards only be available in the pre-game lobby.

Once you were in, the only way to communicate was through a surprisingly robust (and yet still really limiting) voice button where your character would say something. You'd combine that with directions on the analogue sticks to indicate what you wanted. So like, right stick up and the voice button would make your character point in the direction they were facing and say "here," or you could use the Dpad + voice button to say character's names, things like that. You could also just press the voice button and your character would say something context sensitive based on what plot events have happened/are happening or give hints as to how to solve the puzzle in the room you're in. Each character would have totally different lines (and different hints) as well, which was neat.

The really cool part of that though isn't even that system, though it worked pretty ok. Being able to hear a character was proximity based. So as you guys got separated by rooms and/or distance they'd get quieter and quieter. And if you got more than a few rooms apart, you literally couldn't hear them anymore. Since the levels were pretty huge and there was only 4 players at most in a lobby, if you got separated you were alone. Like actually alone, you couldn't talk to anyone, couldn't see them on the map, nothing. And if you went below caution and into danger your character would be stuck on the ground crawling. You could call for help, but if whoever you're with has left the room they may not even be able to hear you anymore, depending on how far they've got away. It did a GREAT job of feeling massively isolating.

The meta in the late stages of the game around like.. god maybe 2007? Was mostly about speedrunning after everyone that remained knew all the levels by heart (they also randomized all the levels somewhat, but there wasn't very many variations). So the strategy for the level would be people calling roles of what they were going to do, then everyone splitting off into teams doing their tasks. Then you'd all meet up at the delivery point to solve the puzzle.

So in some levels, you'd have people going off solo to get the puzzle solutions, and you'd just have no idea if they lived or died. It was super tense waiting with two other people in the delivery room and it's taking the person super long to get back to you guys. Do you leave to go get the item? Are they dead? Are they just stuck? And if you leave they might show up while you're gone and trigger the next phase, which was sometimes really bad when a tyrant would spawn in the level or something and you have no one around to help if you get caught. Or even worse in the final level there was a self destruct timer that was triggered by one of the big level long puzzles. If you're half way to where the longest item you had to find was you might not even be able to get out of the mansion before it exploded

Mannnnnnnnnn, so many good memories. I'll stop writing novels about the game now lol

Weird Pumpkin has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Jun 16, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game features brand new turtle-themed music. Among the artists performing songs are Mike Patton and the motherfucking Wu Tang Clan (just Raekwon and Ghost Face but still). It’s corny as hell and it absolutely owns.

The game is about as retro as it gets - complete with a remake of the original cartoon’s opening and all the gimmicks from both the TMNT arcade and Turtles in Time present. It’s a little on the short side but it has simultaneous online play for 6 people which results in absolute chaos. It’s hilariously fun.

Seriously, if this doesn't make you grin a little, I'm not sure what to tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6ke0FgiyM

Playable characters include all 4 turtles, April(?), Splinter and Casey Jones once you beat the game

Raekwon and Ghostface do Shredder's boss fight theme and I nearly fell out of my chair when it started.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jun 16, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game features brand new turtle-themed music. Among the artists performing songs are Mike Patton and the motherfucking Wu Tang Clan (just Raekwon and Ghost Face but still). It’s corny as hell and it absolutely owns.

The game is about as retro as it gets - complete with a remake of the original cartoon’s opening and all the gimmicks from both the TMNT arcade and Turtles in Time present. It’s a little on the short side but it has simultaneous online play for 6 people which results in absolute chaos. It’s hilariously fun.

Seriously, if this doesn't make you grin a little, I'm not sure what to tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6ke0FgiyM

Playable characters include all 4 turtles, April(?), Splinter and Casey Jones once you beat the game

So i looked this up and it looks awesome. I'm confused though - it says 1-4 players but 6 network players...how does that work?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Joey Freshwater posted:

So i looked this up and it looks awesome. I'm confused though - it says 1-4 players but 6 network players...how does that work?

6 players online. 4 players local. You can also do 4 local and 2 online if you like I believe.
It's also relatively cheap. It was something like $22 with a PS Plus membership. Like I said, it's on the short side but even solo it has a ton of replay value (level-up system for characters granting new moves etc) and obviously huge potential for a game to play with your friends/kids.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 16, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

6 players online. 4 players local. You can also do 4 local and 2 online if you like I believe.
It's also relatively cheap. It was something like $22 with a PS Plus membership. Like I said, it's on the short side but even solo it has a ton of replay value (level-up system for characters granting new moves etc) and obviously huge potential for a game to play with your friends/kids.

Ah that makes sense - yeah I bought it, and can't wait to get home and play it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I grabbed the switch version, me and my kid are going to play the crap out of it this weekend

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Donatello is still my dude but he’s been nerfed a little since his Turtles in Time days :smith:

Also, almost every single villain from the series that I can remember makes an appearance. Even weird ones like The Rat King and there's a special interaction between him and Splinter if you're using him. There are tons of neat little touches in the game and a lot of the achievements are nods to the original games.

Edit: Was just reading a little more about the game and apparently they got most of the original voice actors to come back to do this. Just lmao at how perfect this is.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jun 16, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's also one of the many games that's launched day one on gamepass if you play on pc or Xbox and just want to try it out

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

flatluigi posted:

it's also one of the many games that's launched day one on gamepass if you play on pc or Xbox and just want to try it out

If you like the game, you may want to consider a physical copy since licensing can get weird and we could end up in another situation like the stellar Scott Pilgrim game that suddenly vanished.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Didn't specifically Platinum's TMNT game get delisted quite suddenly back in the day, too?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

My Lovely Horse posted:

Didn't specifically Platinum's TMNT game get delisted quite suddenly back in the day, too?

Yeah I think so and it’s one of those properties that gets recycled a whole bunch so I’d definitely get a hard copy if you enjoy it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Frank Frank posted:

If you like the game, you may want to consider a physical copy since licensing can get weird and we could end up in another situation like the stellar Scott Pilgrim game that suddenly vanished.

FWIF that's on the EPIC store. I think it was on sale through today. And it's the full edition with DLC. Yeah, Epic kind of sucks, but if I can get rare games, why not?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok game rules I love it

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ok game rules I love it

Yeah I’m playing with my kids and it’s a blast. My only complaint is that it’s hard to keep track of where you are sometimes with 3 or more players.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah I’m playing with my kids and it’s a blast. My only complaint is that it’s hard to keep track of where you are sometimes with 3 or more players.

Haven’t played with a group yet but good to know. Playing as Splinter is great

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Frank Frank posted:

i played it with friends back in the day and it was just a worse castle crashers with better music

CzarChasm posted:

FWIF that's on the EPIC store. I think it was on sale through today. And it's the full edition with DLC. Yeah, Epic kind of sucks, but if I can get rare games, why not?

it got a rerelease recently after years of being unavailable

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Being a cannibalistic psychopath doesn’t make your hands grow back.

The Baker family has one helluva staple gun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

i played it with friends back in the day and it was just a worse castle crashers with better music

while true, if you'd played a metric fuckton of Castle Crashers and were looking for something similar but new, Scott Pilgrim was just fine.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rockman Reserve posted:

The Baker family has one helluva staple gun.

Y’know that’s a pretty hard point to refute. :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Posting this in this thread instead of the other one because while it’s dragging it down for me, personally (because I’m a huge weenie regarding horror games) this is the thread where people were discussing the horror or lack thereof in RE8 Village.

So far (and I mean I’m barely scratching the surface of the beginning here so it could change) this game is much scarier to actually PLAY for me, even though I really loved the creeping dread vibes of 7. 7:Biohazard was a brilliant cinematic nightmare where even playing on Easy felt nerve wracking and intense - but being set in a big mansion complex meant it was always handleable, since doorways and rooms created natural choke points and it was generally possible to clear an entire area to explore in relative safety. Village on the other hand leans hard on the more open, uh, village-y areas from 4, up to and including houses with doors you can barricade with heavy poo poo to help make a stand against hordes of enemies. It’s wayyyy scarier for me to play when the game is like “haha here’s two shacks, an open field and six vampire werewolf assholes, have fun” as opposed to dealing with a few guys in a hallway in a house.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
idk how i own RE5 thats the evil racist africa one right

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty fun in co op

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gaius Marius posted:

It's pretty fun in co op

i have it on steam idk how thatd work

is this still a network? was there ever one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

lol Ethan Winters, the unluckiest man alive, might be one of my favorite protagonists. I just got through the Luiza house in VIllage and he finally seems incredibly sick of this poo poo and ready to rampage like the last act of 7.