Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I bought the 3lb bag of pre-peeled garlic: how do I store this and keep it the freshest longest without giving myself botulism?

Also I bought the chest freezer and wish I hadn't, it sits unplugged and unloved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I bought the 3lb bag of pre-peeled garlic: how do I store this and keep it the freshest longest without giving myself botulism?

Also I bought the chest freezer and wish I hadn't, it sits unplugged and unloved.

I haven’t found a good way to store peeled garlic and even the small bags go bad on us. Maybe vacuum sealed would work.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you have to eat it all sorry. just make a lot of hummus

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's easy

PokeJoe posted:

Absolutely, I made some today

It's extremely easy and easily a tier above 100% of store bought I ever tried. It's so simple you don't even really need a recipe. Heres what I did:

Soak 1 cup dried chickpeas overnight in just water. Drain, add more water and boil until soft, 60-90 mins. maybe more or less depending on the age of the chickpea. Just eat one every once in a while till it taste cooked and no longer gritty

Drain those in a collander and put them in your food processor. Add some tahini, I used 8oz because that was half the container.

I also sauteed a bunch of garlic, maybe 5 bulbs in 1/4 cup olive oil

Let cool a little and put this in the food processor. Add another 1/4c oil and process. If it seems dry add some water, otherwise trickle in oil until it looks as smooth as you like. Add some salt to taste.

That's it. I put it in containers and pour more oil on top and eat it with pita chips or veggies or whatever. My gf doesn't like hummus at all unless I make it's then she really likes it. Give it a try

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Didn't plan on buying a slip n slide but here we are

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Costco Doggin' right now.

:blessed:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I had my lowest Costco total ever today of like $50, but goddamn it was full of idiots today not looking where they're pushing their fuckin carts

Six people nearly pushed their carts into me then either gave a surprised Pikachu face or irritated look when I just stood there and waited for them to get the gently caress out the way

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I wouldn't recommend vacuum sealing garlic, botulism toxin grows in environments without air iirc.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

I had my lowest Costco total ever today of like $50, but goddamn it was full of idiots today not looking where they're pushing their fuckin carts

Six people nearly pushed their carts into me then either gave a surprised Pikachu face or irritated look when I just stood there and waited for them to get the gently caress out the way

Going to Costco on a Saturday and not expecting to sustain physical injury.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Dehydrate the garlic and make jerky

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just found some chicken thighs I vacuum sealed and froze in April 2021 in my chest freezer. Gonna cook them tomorrow.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

PokeJoe posted:

It's easy

I prefer the raw garlic method for hummus: juice of two lemons + full head of peeled garlic + blender (stick blender in a jug works well here)

The lemon juice acts to neutralise the enzyme reaction that makes raw garlic "spicy" rather than cooking it.

This lemon mixture will then be emulsify with the tahini before adding it to the chickpeas/oil/salt in a processor

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
what should I make with the sous vide pork belly? tacos and miso-glazed were the two things that came to mind

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

what should I make with the sous vide pork belly? tacos and miso-glazed were the two things that came to mind

I've never tried sous vide pork belly, curious how it is. We always do pork belly either deep fried like the Filipino lechon kawali or pan fried/grilled like Korean Samgyeopsal-gui.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/40-cloves-and-a-chicken-recipe-1910661

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

whoever recommended that PB powder, thanks! i'm digging it so far, might have to buy a blender to make shakes now instead of jankily using my immersion blender...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Cross post from 'dine thread:

Soul Dentist posted:

Best friendship with King Oscar over

The Pinhais fisherman is my new best friend.

These are the best sardines I've ever had and they come with a free pickle (and chile)

Also I got these from Costco:

And they are the best thing to put sardines on. Only drawback is they're small and porous so it's easy to lose fish to the sink drain.

What a happy day

And that PB powder works great with just a shaker bottle too. I mix a scoop of Gold Standard protein powder, a scoop of PB Fit, a scoop of Metamucil, 8oz Kirkland Coconut Water, and 8oz Kirkland almond milk and it makes a decent 100 percent Costco-based breakfast for someone who has to get up earlier than their body can handle solid food.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Cross post from 'dine thread:

And that PB powder works great with just a shaker bottle too. I mix a scoop of Gold Standard protein powder, a scoop of PB Fit, a scoop of Metamucil, 8oz Kirkland Coconut Water, and 8oz Kirkland almond milk and it makes a decent 100 percent Costco-based breakfast for someone who has to get up earlier than their body can handle solid food.

This is a good post :hai:

I never really entertained getting my fiber supplement in smoothie form, I've been taking the pills for years :nexus:

Anybody got opinions on any of the various energy drink powder... things? Not aiming for protein with those, just maybe a Gatorade replacement or something

I tried a sample yesterday of a tangerine flavoured thing with caffeine that was dece, forget the product though

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Amino Energy is pretty solid and usually cheaper at church. Only downside is they usually only have one flavor at a time.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

This is a good post :hai:

I never really entertained getting my fiber supplement in smoothie form, I've been taking the pills for years :nexus:

Anybody got opinions on any of the various energy drink powder... things? Not aiming for protein with those, just maybe a Gatorade replacement or something

I tried a sample yesterday of a tangerine flavoured thing with caffeine that was dece, forget the product though

Idk if they sell it at church, but some people I know swear by powdered pedialyte.

On what they do sell at church, I just bought the Pendleton packable picnic blanket and I am PUMPED to use it all summer. Apparently the case itself functions as a seat? And obviously I bought it in the same pattern as my Sherpa

E: to keep garlic fresh, just use more garlic when you cook. Roast it, confit it, eat it raw. My college roommate said her grandma ate a clove of raw garlic every day and lived well into her nineties. Garlic garlic garlic all day

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 13, 2022

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I can smell the bag of garlic in my fridge when I open the freezer door.

This smell is never coming out, is it?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My brother brought over that Reser's mac and cheese with brisket in it. Thats some rich mac and cheese

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

I can smell the bag of garlic in my fridge when I open the freezer door.

This smell is never coming out, is it?

Just confit it in oil and then use it to spread instead of butter, oil, mayo, cheese, dressing, dip or skin lotion. You'll get through it friend

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Probably a price mistake but people are getting them delivered with no issues as of 2 min ago. Sadly none in my area but worth a shot if you want an extra controller

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/15845050

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
drat it, i missed out on the microfiber towels pack being $3 off. expired yesterday. thats what i get for putting it off and forgetting...

BUT i was just thinking "i should get a fan, and i think i saw a pallet of the vornado ones there a week ago" and now they're on sale. so that almost makes up for it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you can freeze the garlic or put it in oil in your fridge (roast first or don't)

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Probably a price mistake but people are getting them delivered with no issues as of 2 min ago. Sadly none in my area but worth a shot if you want an extra controller

Worked for me

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Johnny Truant posted:

ZippFizz is one of those vitamins+caffeine combos. Costco puts them on sale 3-4 times a year, making it $.60 to $.90 a serving.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I really like the liquid IV drinks and Costco sells one with caffeine as well.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tight, I'll check them out! I think the IV one was the sample I tried, don't really remember cause I snagged a tiny cup then retreated from the huge crowd before taking my mask off lol

I didn't realize that the eggs Costco sells are cage free and certified humane, so that's super tight. Means I'll get all my eggs there from now on, so more excuses to go to Costco :getin:

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

timg]https://i.imgur.com/Q8WifGF.png[/timg]

Didn't work for me.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
anyone try the costco brand beer in canada?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
really thinkin about droppin 450 on this lil traeger when i hit up costco in a couple hours

probably gonna come down to whether or not it looks like it'll fit in my trunk

gonna get me a dog

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hydralyte is easily the best hydration additive stuff. In the pharmacy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Costco sells beer in Canada now????

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

DO NOT drink Costco brand beer unless you enjoy vomiting and fever dreams.

Speaking from experience.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Walrus posted:

Hydralyte is easily the best hydration additive stuff. In the pharmacy.

B-Rock452 posted:

I really like the liquid IV drinks and Costco sells one with caffeine as well.

I googled what these look like cause I'm gonna go to Costco tomorrow most likely, and this is the sample I tried the other day! I dug it, I'll pick up a pack of it. Thanks for the recs :toot:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I got severely sunburned and was struggling staying hydrated. Grabbed some of the lemon lime liquid iv and I have to say, pretty drat good. Tastes better than all the pedialyte flavors. Pricey though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If u ever have a sunburn best thing is to grab an aloe plant from the garden center. Cut it open and rub the goo into the burn. It will be gone the next day. It's seriously magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Walrus posted:

If u ever have a sunburn best thing is to grab an aloe plant from the garden center. Cut it open and rub the goo into the burn. It will be gone the next day. It's seriously magic.

Do not mistake an aloe plant for an agave plant though. My wife did and got a nasty rash from that.