Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

It looks great value considering its a 3080 system for around €1600. Personally I'd go for the 240mm AIO for the CPU, just because 120mm AIOs aren't great. Also I'd up the nvme storage to a 1GB drive, which you'll fill fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

It looks great value considering its a 3080 system for around €1600. Personally I'd go for the 240mm AIO for the CPU, just because 120mm AIOs aren't great. Also I'd up the nvme storage to a 1GB drive, which you'll fill fast.

I didn't know they made nvme drives in 1gb

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Any idea why these are the only 3060tis for sale? I've been following a lot of discord trackers and 3060s, 70s and 80s are all plentiful and seemingly at msrp, but the 60tis are pretty much nonexistent. Of course, the 60ti is what I'm targeting

Well, EVGA just listed their 3060 Ti: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3663-KL&associatecode=0EHX18A618562YL

$465 after the associate code discount (viewable at checkout). That's basically equivalent to those bundle deals. This model tends to go out of stock before the end of the day whenever it goes up, but it does go up at least a couple times a week, usually.

3070 for $562 after discount too: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3751-KL&associatecode=DCIZQ79WVS4ODJZ

The Gigabyte 3080 12GB is back in stock for $800 at Newegg too: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489?Item=N82E16814932489&quicklink=true

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 16, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, EVGA just listed their 3060 Ti: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3663-KL&associatecode=0EHX18A618562YL

$465 after the associate code discount (viewable at checkout). That's basically equivalent to those bundle deals. This model tends to go out of stock before the end of the day whenever it goes up, but it does go up at least a couple times a week, usually.

3070 for $562 after discount too: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3751-KL&associatecode=DCIZQ79WVS4ODJZ

Yeah that's the one I keep seeing. 2 fans worries me a tiny bit, and since I'd have to pay shipping I haven't jumped on it. It's weird it's so much above MSRP while all the worse cards are sub $400. I'm gonna keep holding out for now because the btc crash is giving me hope.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Negative_Kittens posted:

I also have a 2600k, hyper 212, 4x4gb DDR3 and an antec nine hundred case lying around, but the motherboard for the 2600k is wonky and resets to its backup bios every 5 or so power ons, so I didn't consider it because that behavior is kinda scary. Would finding a used or junked mobo for the 2600k be more worthwhile than assembling the q6700 machine?
As someone who ran home servers on both a Q6600 and a 2600k build, unless you can get the board for free, sell all of the parts except the SSDs, GPU, and maybe the power supply. Use that to buy an older used workstation or a board and CPU combo, at least Skylake era. Decent Sandybridge motherboards are going to be hard to find at this point and those CPUs got hit hard by spectre/meltdown mitigations. The core2quad is going to use way too much power to be worth it - Even besides missing important CPU instructions they have fallen far behind the performance curve of most modern CPUs. I switched to a 6700/m.2 based home server after breaking down some dell precisions, and most everything I use it for performs better while using less power.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah that's the one I keep seeing. 2 fans worries me a tiny bit, and since I'd have to pay shipping I haven't jumped on it. It's weird it's so much above MSRP while all the worse cards are sub $400. I'm gonna keep holding out for now because the btc crash is giving me hope.

Two fans really won't be a problem for the 3060 Ti. From what I've heard, the XC model runs fairly cool and quiet. It's not completely silent or anything, but it's fine. Three-fan models are really just for people who want their PC to be whisper quiet while gaming.

I remember one goon in particular from january or so who was noise sensitive and suspicious of the XC's cooler, but they ended up getting it anyway because it was the cheapest option at the time and they ended up very happy with it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 16, 2022

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
My computer died last fall after 10 years, I was putting off replacing it until video cards got a bit less ridiculous and it looks like that's happening. Took a stab at putting something together, not sure if I'll order it immediately or wait a bit longer but I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on if this is at all reasonable:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Pt98r

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB VENTUS 2X OCV1 Video Card ($569.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 110R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1388.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-16 03:06 EDT-0400

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

misguided rage posted:

My computer died last fall after 10 years, I was putting off replacing it until video cards got a bit less ridiculous and it looks like that's happening. Took a stab at putting something together, not sure if I'll order it immediately or wait a bit longer but I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on if this is at all reasonable:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Pt98r

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB VENTUS 2X OCV1 Video Card ($569.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 110R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1388.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-16 03:06 EDT-0400

You can save $120 or so by getting one of the 3060 Ti combos I linked to last page:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494093
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4494094

They're both good cards. The extra fan on the tuf gaming version will just ensure that it'll be nearly silent when gaming.

The 110R has fairly crap airflow, so your components will end up running hotter and louder than they would otherwise. It probably won't be awful with enough fans since your components won't produce much heat, but the trend these last few years has been leaning towards more well-ventilated designs with ample airflow. Maybe consider the Corsair 4000D Airflow instead.

And the D9L is more meant for situations where you don't have much clearance for a large cooler. Consider something like the DeepCool AK400 instead, which will be at least as good as a D9L for less money.

And the best value in m.2 storage right now is probably the SN570.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 16, 2022

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders

future ghost posted:

As someone who ran home servers on both a Q6600 and a 2600k build, unless you can get the board for free, sell all of the parts except the SSDs, GPU, and maybe the power supply. Use that to buy an older used workstation or a board and CPU combo, at least Skylake era. Decent Sandybridge motherboards are going to be hard to find at this point and those CPUs got hit hard by spectre/meltdown mitigations. The core2quad is going to use way too much power to be worth it - Even besides missing important CPU instructions they have fallen far behind the performance curve of most modern CPUs. I switched to a 6700/m.2 based home server after breaking down some dell precisions, and most everything I use it for performs better while using less power.

I'll take this under advisement, thanks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nodosaur posted:

I guess I could understand that. That being said, I legit do need a new computer, as my old one is probably dead.

If you need a computer and don't have money, then the practical option is a used office PC from eBay or liquidation company, Dell Optiplex, HP EliteDesk, or similar. But those aren't useful for gaming.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Every time I get ready to pull the trigger I get overloaded at work and fall behind on the thread, then I start doubting my selections.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So long story short I moved states and built myself a computer, however I forgot NewEgg had my old address so I had my CPU and RAM sent to it.
Couldn't get in touch with the new owners so I bought another set of CPU and RAM.
Turns out the MB I bought was DDR5 not DD4, so I bought even more RAM.

I actually got in contact after months with the new owners and so now I am sitting on a i7-2700 and 32G of DD4 RAM.

I figured I would throw together a mini file storage and 3D printer renderer. I plan on tossing the OS on the M.2 and making the 4 SSD's into a RAID5.
What do you guys think?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (Already Own it)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.93 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Already Own it)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Already Own it)
Storage: Silicon Power P34A60 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($114.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Gigabyte P-B 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $628.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-16 14:14 EDT-0400

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
General question:

I saw that GPU prices are dropping because crypto douchebags are in trouble. That's great news because my 7 year old build is due for an overhaul.

What about other components? Are they any more reasonable in price/availability? Or are they still tough due to all the other supply chain issues?

Don't have a build spec'd out yet, but was curious if the market is better before I put any effort in to it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

DaveSauce posted:

General question:

I saw that GPU prices are dropping because crypto douchebags are in trouble. That's great news because my 7 year old build is due for an overhaul.

What about other components? Are they any more reasonable in price/availability? Or are they still tough due to all the other supply chain issues?

Don't have a build spec'd out yet, but was curious if the market is better before I put any effort in to it.

A lot of the components were available when I used the pcbuilder site. It has some sort of hook that looks at availability every day.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dick Trauma posted:

Every time I get ready to pull the trigger I get overloaded at work and fall behind on the thread, then I start doubting my selections.

Same here. Started looking at an AMD 5600/5800 setup, then the Intel 12x00 chips came out and everything changed. Bills keep draining my finances.
My core i7 920 is still just about chugging along, but will need replacing soon.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, turns out my job was giving out discounts on PC products including desktops!... and it's on Dell :negative: that would have been perfect if not for that.

Cause I've been looking on multiple sites and the best I've found was this: https://www.neobyte.es/pc-neo-gaming-i9-11900k-rtx-3080-16gb-1tb-1tb-ssd-2919.html for around 2100€~. It seems they build their own pcs, reading the comments on the site people say they did a good job on the build and they even give you the original component boxes, but I feel like they cheapened out on cooling and also it has no Wi-Fi which i need since the router is too far away. That said comments also mention they could haggle some component changes so i could try that if it's a good deal.

there's also another build with a i9-12900K, 5TB of space and Wifi included, but the price Jacks up to almos 2600€ which is clearly more expensive.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

DaveSauce posted:

General question:

only GPUs had really bad price/availability for a sustained period of time, everything else has been normal for a while and GPUs are the sanest they've been in years, though I'd expect they'll further improve soon as the market floods with miners offloading GPUs and a lot of people are waiting for next-gen cards expected in September-October

lih fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 17, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can someone tell me

Why the gently caress

this M.2 SSD I bought doesn't come with the loving screw you need to attach it to the loving motherboard

Now it's 8:30 and I gotta figure out if a loving hardware store is open

poo poo

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Should come with your motherboard

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

lih posted:

only GPUs had really bad price/availability for a sustained period of time, everything else has been normal for a while and GPUs are the sanest they've been in years, though I'd expect they'll further improve soon as the market floods with miners offloading GPUs and a lot of people are waiting for next-gen cards expected in September-October

Really? I was under the impression that electronics were turbo-hosed.

So that's cool, guess I'll start actually planning then.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pvt. Parts posted:

Should come with your motherboard

What do you do if you want to install one of these things like a year after you build a PC and didn't keep every single screw that came with the motherboard? It came with a LOT of poo poo I didn't need. Never imagined the drive wouldn't come with the one piece of hardware required to mount it for God knows what reason

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Got my new mobo, RAM, and CPU installed and threw in my existing SSD and after BIOS was like "Hey man, let's get your settings configured!" and I enabled XMP, Windows booted up with no problem whatsover. :stare: I absolutely did not expect that to work, I figured the OS would throw a fit about the new hardware and I would have to flatten and reinstall.

Just upgraded to Windows 11 for 12th gen performance and feelin' good, man.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just had to declare defeat and close 'er back up because only Home Depot is open this late and I don't have time to drive out before the basketball game starts. I'll do it tomorrow, I guess. But I'm MAD. :mad:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Could just stick it on there with some chewing gum till tomorrow.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
FedEx is hot garbage, how are they still in business. My ram has been bouncing between 3 states for a week now.

I guess never order stuff directly from Corsair. This is the last piece I need.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Really? I was under the impression that electronics were turbo-hosed.

So that's cool, guess I'll start actually planning then.

there have been some brief availability issues for certain parts here and there, but there have been no long-term issues like GPUs have had. Mainly, manufacturers can't ramp up supply easily to meet spikes in demand, but they usually can meet demand just fine over the long run. GPUs are special because the "spike" lasted for 18 months while crypto miners were buying up a massive portion of the available supply. Without them, the GPU market most likely would've been fine too.

it's the auto industry that's turbofucked. the auto companies cut back their buy orders for many key components during march 2020, everyone else jumped in to buy up the supply they left on the table, and then when demand went back up (much sooner than anticipated), the auto companies were unable to meet it. they're still tremendously far behind, last I've heard.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 17, 2022

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

loquacius posted:

What do you do if you want to install one of these things like a year after you build a PC and didn't keep every single screw that came with the motherboard? It came with a LOT of poo poo I didn't need. Never imagined the drive wouldn't come with the one piece of hardware required to mount it for God knows what reason

The Gigabyte board in my previous system as well as the MSI board I'm currently using both had the screws pre-installed on the board. All I had to do was unscrew, pop the drive in, and reinstall the screw. Sucks that that's not universal.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

There was scalping on CPU parts for a while last year - 12900K for example was like $1000-$1200 some of the time, and apparently based on reviews some people actually paid it to have the thing. I feel like it's pretty expensive normally (badass, though) but deep pockets make for a different perspective I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

loquacius posted:

You order spares (idk whether you'll be able to find some at home depot). I had to buy a screw for my pre-built that had an nvme slot but no screw. I didn't lose it, Dell just didn't bother including one since it originally only came with a hard drive.

Agreed posted:

There was scalping on CPU parts for a while last year - 12900K for example was like $1000-$1200 some of the time, and apparently based on reviews some people actually paid it to have the thing. I feel like it's pretty expensive normally (badass, though) but deep pockets make for a different perspective I guess.

AMD CPUs were in short-ish supply and overpriced for a while, but that was mostly over by the time Alder Lake released.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There were a couple brief hard drive disruptions too but nothing persistent.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hello nerds! I've got a dumb guy prebuilt question. I bought this HP Desktop back in 2018 because it seemed like a solid deal, I paid like $650 for it.

It's been great but I'm curious what kind of upgrades might be possible, especially in terms of processor / video card. I mainly use it for gaming, and by gaming I mean Path of Exile, which honestly runs decently although it can get a little hairy at higher levels with lots on the screen.

I might need another power supply maybe? I'm not sure what that means.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread as I don't really feel like it's technically a PC building question but seemed like the closest match.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HP are one of those manufacturers that uses proprietary parts, so you'll probably need to post some innards photos of it so we know what level of OEM bullshit we're dealing with.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: ^^^^ I dug up the specs for his specific model: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-power-580-100-desktop-pc-series/17142197/model/18865832/document/c05838849

External Organs posted:

Hello nerds! I've got a dumb guy prebuilt question. I bought this HP Desktop back in 2018 because it seemed like a solid deal, I paid like $650 for it.

It's been great but I'm curious what kind of upgrades might be possible, especially in terms of processor / video card. I mainly use it for gaming, and by gaming I mean Path of Exile, which honestly runs decently although it can get a little hairy at higher levels with lots on the screen.

I might need another power supply maybe? I'm not sure what that means.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread as I don't really feel like it's technically a PC building question but seemed like the closest match.

HP computers aren't very easily upgradeable, sadly. AMD motherboards generally have decent forward-compatibility with future CPU models, but it looks like HP has opted to only allow CPUs in the Ryzen 1000-series generation to run on their motherboard (info on it here). So your only real upgrade options would be either the Ryzen 1600 or Ryzen 1700, neither of which would be a huge upgrade. It sucks, because I bet the CPU is the cause of those PoE slowdowns. It looks like this model of HP Pavilion is from before they started using non-standard form factors though, so you might be able to replace the entire motherboard along with the CPU, but I can't guarantee there won't be any physical compatibility issues. You would not need a new power supply if you are just replacing the CPU/mobo.

What's your spend limit for this upgrade?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 17, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: ^^^^ I dug up the specs for his specific model: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-power-580-100-desktop-pc-series/17142197/model/18865832/document/c05838849

HP computers aren't very easily upgradeable, sadly. AMD motherboards generally have decent forward-compatibility with future CPU models, but it looks like HP has opted to only allow CPUs in the Ryzen 1000-series generation to run on their motherboard (info on it here). So your only real upgrade options would be either the Ryzen 1600 or Ryzen 1700, neither of which would be a huge upgrade. It sucks, because I bet the CPU is the cause of those PoE slowdowns. It looks like this model of HP Pavilion is from before they started using non-standard form factors though, so you might be able to replace the entire motherboard along with the CPU, but I can't guarantee there won't be any physical compatibility issues. You would not need a new power supply if you are just replacing the CPU/mobo.

What's your spend limit for this upgrade?

Thanks! Amazing info, but unfortunate about HP.

I could probably drop 3-500 although maybe that starts to get into "new computer" territory. Are graphic card prices dropping a little with the crypto crash?

I will take pictures tomorrow

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

External Organs posted:

Thanks! Amazing info, but unfortunate about HP.

I could probably drop 3-500 although maybe that starts to get into "new computer" territory. Are graphic card prices dropping a little with the crypto crash?

I will take pictures tomorrow

I compared that motherboard with other micro-atx motherboards, and it appears to be the same size with the same screw layout for mounting. You could get this motherboard with a 12100F CPU for around $215, but then you're kind of stuck when it comes to GPU upgrades. This depends on what kind of power connectors your power supply is using. The power supply has a cable that runs directly to your GPU. If it's a 6+2-pin connector (6 pins with 2 extra dangling off the side) then you could maybe get away with upgrading to an AMD RX 6600, but it would be cutting it close. But if it's just six pins, then the Nvidia GTX 1660 Super could be a viable upgrade. There are used ones selling on Ebay for around $175 - $200, which is still kind of overpriced, but it's within your budget. I don't think you would need to upgrade your power supply for that one since it's supposed to only use 5 watts more than the 1060 3GB.

edit: That motherboard (and all other B660 motherboards) has 8 pins for CPU power, but your power supply will only have a single 4-pin cable. I'm reasonably sure that you can just plug the 4-pin one into the four slots closest to the CPU and everything will be fine. A 12100 can't draw enough power for that to matter... I don't think. This is starting to get extra janky, though. Replacing the power supply would be your safest bet, but I'm not 100% sure what's compatible with that chassis. We may just be getting into "save up for a new PC instead" territory here. Especially since PCPartPicker is telling me that this upgraded system's estimated power consumption would be 315W, which is just over the 300W PSU's capacity.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 17, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drove to a local hardware store and a home depot and can confirm that they do not in fact carry screws of the correct size. This sucks

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to make my purchases today. I've collected some build videos for my specific MB and case that should make things easier, and like like last time I'm shipping everything to my work because it'll be way easier for assembly and troubleshooting.

My thanks again to everyone who provided feedback on my build. The first one was an amazing success that outlasted every other PC I've had (as has the twin I assembled for my dad) and I'm looking forward to the new one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

loquacius posted:

Drove to a local hardware store and a home depot and can confirm that they do not in fact carry screws of the correct size. This sucks

I'm sorry to be brutal but honestly this is on you for straight up throwing stuff away that came with your motherboard, especially given that you just built this PC a few weeks ago. The stuff you need to connect storage to motherboards has traditionally always come with the motherboard and not the storage - SATA cables for example. Whenever I've built a PC if I don't have room for keeping all the boxes, then I just take all the remaining cables, screws and whatever other poo poo and dump it all in one box and just keep that somewhere. Take it as a learning moment. You can order the screws off amazon or find a computer repair shop and they'll inevitably have some you can buy.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
another popular one is make a little baggie with all the remaining parts and tape it somewhere inside the chassis, if you have space. that's pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not all of it, but yeah, I didn't hold on to a lot of the stuff that seemed irrelevant to me. If you keep literally everything that comes with stuff like that Just In Case, you end up with a house full of useless crap you can't even remember the original use for.

It's fine, I just ordered some of the goddamn screws off Amazon for $5 and they'll arrive tomorrow. Should have done that last night to begin with but I wanted to believe hardware stores would come through for me and I'd only pay like 20 cents