Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CODChimera posted:

is there still a Rogue Squadron in the mix?

It was delayed to TBD after WW84 came out and bombed critically, which is usually Lucasfilm’s way of quietly canning something without an announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Has there ever been a time in the comics or EU novels when another jedi used the force to start flipping those switches on Vader's chestplate? Perhaps it might turn off his air conditioning or otherwise handicap him.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I'm finally glad they showed the Grand Inquistor wasn't dead. Holy poo poo people were losing their poo poo that it didn't line up with current canon and how it shows Disney doesn't give a poo poo and blah blah blah shut the gently caress up. They never said he was dead, they never showed him being dead, and god it was insanely stupid

I mean he obviously should be dead based on what they showed in the episode, we only knew he's alive because we understand this kind of tv is dumb and toothless , that's not good writing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I greatly enjoy that Darth Vader is STILL a wet messy bitch who lives for drama. Imagining him lying on his stomach on the bed, kicking his feet as he giggles over the holo-communicator to The Grand Inquisitor about how they're going to prank 3rd Sister. The Emperor banging on the wall telling him to keep it down because he's trying to watch Space Football. :allears:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hazo posted:

Also I really wonder if we'll see Obi-Wan mess up Vader a little in the finale. Sure the reason the fight in ANH was so janky was because of technological limitations, but now there's a chance for them to give an in-universe reason why Vader fights like a chump. But they might not want to pull that thread.

Isn‘t he still in monster-mode in Rogue One? So I guess it won‘t happen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

While she was in the vent, Tiny Leia did mumble to herself, "They said the red breaker". And we later see her plugging in a red 6.35mm headphone jack.

Which doesn't really make sense, because how did her tiny droid (with the circular saw and bolt cutter attachment) unplug it in the first place.

Yeah, I was going to post more about this.
When Leia volunteered I was like "What? Why? How?"
But then I realized:
1: Kids that age love helping and she's Leia friggin' Organa future leader of the Rebellion. She's sure as hell going to offer to do whatever she can when people are in trouble.
2: Everyone is desperate so why not use the kid the Jedi master explicitly trusts. Sure she probably has no technical skills, but why not.
3: It's not like the mechanics stops his own attempts...at least I don't think so. I don't think we see him much more after that. It's just betting on 2 horses instead of only 1.
4: Inside the tunnels she's mumbling to herself that she needs something with a red light, so they obviously gave her some instructions off screen.

So that entire part was perfectly fine for me.

But, sloppy editing strikes again. Lola used a weird laser/bolt cutter to sabotage. There's not much left to plug in. Simultaneously Lola attacks her, but not with her saw or bolt cutter but by....just floating a little against her.
Easy fix, never give those tools to a toy! Instead give her a little grabby arm. She could've used the grabby hand to give Leia a pen or ribbon or something earlier. Then have her use the little arm to try and free her before Flea grabs her. The have her use the grabby arm to unplug the cable. As she attacks Leia have the little droid pull Leia's hair with the grabby arm. It even fixes how she opened the vent in the first place.
Done.
I've fixed the script and made the toy make more sense.

SuperTeeJay posted:

I thought Vader’s effortless blocking of Reva’s attacks was going to be the highlight of the fight but then she slowly rolled/crouch walked around him.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I found the fight a little awkward. But somehow it works for me? Maybe Reva really is that clumsy of a fighter since she never had proper training. But then why the hell the weird put down from the Gran Inquisitor in the earlier episodes about her amazing talent. :shrug: Those first episodes were just plain bad.

They really needed to let Reva die this episode. I think that would've worked best for her storyline.

Though on the bright side, if she does survive this series this is probably one of the few "Jedi" I have no problem with being around and active. Same way I give Kanan a pass.
She can't help Luke train because she's badly trained and in addition an ex dark Jedi herself.

But like I said, I enjoyed this episode a lot. There's some things you can nitpick if you want, but you're just robbing yourself of what was otherwise a good episode.

I just started playing Jedi Fallen Order. By the Force this is a good Starwars game (so far, based on the first 30-50 minutes).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fallen Order has some stumbles relating to level design but the story and characters are great and the big emotional moments land really well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
That episode was absolute poo poo. I feel no tension in scenes where we know the main characters are all okay - yea I know that's implicit in most shows but it's EXTRA present in this.
And I feel like Reva's plan makes no sense whatsoever. Just absolutely no sense.

Also why bother to get Rupert Friend to pretend to die, why not just...loving kill her right away if Vader knew everything? Nothing she's done required it to be her specifically. I could understand it if Obiwan knew she was on side right from the start and they wanted to find the mole but that's not happened at all.
And really - her plan feels like "I became himmler to get closer to hitler and then not do anything anyway".

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the thermal detonator + vader holding the ship scenes are some of the worst-looking poo poo i've ever seen. unreal.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the random arm coming in from right of frame to put the grand inquisitor pin on reva was unintentionally hilarious though

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
leia takes after anakin way more than luke does and anakin was a child genius with electronics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I greatly enjoy that Darth Vader is STILL a wet messy bitch who lives for drama. Imagining him lying on his stomach on the bed, kicking his feet as he giggles over the holo-communicator to The Grand Inquisitor about how they're going to prank 3rd Sister. The Emperor banging on the wall telling him to keep it down because he's trying to watch Space Football. :allears:

Bringing more of Vader into Anakin and more of Anakin into Vader makes me appreciate both characters even more. Vader is just a beautiful catty shitbag who’s just this angry teenager trapped in a 40 year old man’s weirdo robot body.

The only thing that could make this better is if we get some last minute Palpatine action up in this poo poo because there’s only one man in the galaxy who’s a bigger drama sponge and it’s Sheev “Somehow Palpatine returned” Palpatine, baby.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ol’ Paul Saltines just loved being evil. Dude was so satisfied with himself when he taunted Luke about the deflector shield being quite operational when his friends arrived.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This show sucks for a lot of reasons, but one nitpick:
It seems to imply that Reva says she knew Vader was Anakin because she was there when he slaughtered all the younglings.
But... she saw human Anakin do that, then never saw him again, then there's this always-masked Darth Vader guy who comes out. Is it just because she can sense it's him through the force? Do all the inquisitors know it's Anakin?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was delayed to TBD after WW84 came out and bombed critically, which is usually Lucasfilm’s way of quietly canning something without an announcement.

Is that Lando show they talked about still happening?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

galenanorth posted:

Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create food from poop. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from pooping. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many hamburgers some consider to be unnatural.

You should be spoilering the season two plot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

edit: re: JaxxFlight People can sense each other in The Force. Anakin sensed Ahsoka in Rebels and knew she was alive, she sensed him and it felt familiar although he was all dark-sidey so she wasn't sure. If this dude was going around murdering the Jedi with this huge dark side force power right in front of you shows up in a suit years later with a same ridiculously large dark side force power hunting Jedi., you're probably going to put two and two together.

tuo posted:

Isn‘t he still in monster-mode in Rogue One? So I guess it won‘t happen.

I mean this complaint doesn't make much sense. They're older and more experienced and equally matched in ANH.

The final Maul/Obi Wan fight "gets" it. No flashy poo poo, can't force each other due to being relatively even, it's just a chess match of lightsabers at this point, and it carries on in ANH. Vader is pushing around people way weaker than him right now, not an even fight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Star wars TV megathread: somehow, the Grand Inquisitor returned

Anyway by far the worst thing about the episode was several minutes of watching a dozen stormtroopers standing literally a foot in front of someone and not being able to shoot them. Stormtroopers running past people in a narrow corridor to fail to shoot someone else.

Its taking the opening scene of the first Star Wars film and saying 'do this, but block the action as deliberately badly as you can'. Theres just no excuse for that sequence to have been as bad as it was - its not the dialogue, its not the concept, its all in the execution.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 16, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why the gently caress did Indira Varma save the thermal detonator for when she was near death. When they opened the hangar door there were like 40 stormtroopers clumped together and I kept saying "wow I bet they really wish they had some grenades right about now, you could take out all those guys in one blow" and then she loving pulls one out two minutes later just to make a heroic sacrifice for no reason

Insanely stupid show

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 16, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

If Vader (and other jedi) can force pull ships around why did he decide the rebel starfighters had to be destroyed ship to ship in ANH? He should have just gone to the viewing lounge and force pulled the rebel ships into each other/the trench walls.

Oh yeah! Because the clowns making the ST thought it would "look cool" if Rey did it and now it's a thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hakkesshu posted:

Why the gently caress did Indira Varma save the thermal detonator for when she was near death. When they opened the hangar door there were like 40 stormtroopers clumped together and I kept saying "wow I bet they really wish they had some grenades right about now, you could take out all those guys in one blow" and then she loving pulls one out two minutes later just to make a heroic sacrifice for no reason

Insanely stupid show
Also thermal detonators must suck if they can’t even collapse a tunnel like that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still a few too many head scratcher "well why didn't they just ____" marvel kinda moments, and the pacing of the final act and the suspense doesn't work well, but they largely redeemed themselves from the last episode with this one. Hope for the finale.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

If Vader (and other jedi) can force pull ships around why did he decide the rebel starfighters had to be destroyed ship to ship in ANH? He should have just gone to the viewing lounge and force pulled the rebel ships into each other/the trench walls.

Oh yeah! Because the clowns making the ST thought it would "look cool" if Rey did it and now it's a thing.

Well, they’re right. It does look cool

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I feel a bit sorry for people who get genuinely hung up on "why didn't X logical thing happen" because it seems like a really exhausting way to consume fiction.

Like, I know Leia can fix electronics because I'm watching her fix electronics.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel a bit sorry for people who get genuinely hung up on "why didn't X logical thing happen" because it seems like a really exhausting way to consume fiction.

It was also established in the first episode that she knows how to do these things

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sentinel Red posted:

My take is it probably depends how strong you are with the Force. Reva ain't poo poo, she never finished her training and she works in a hostile workplace environment that doesn't want anyone getting too good, so Force Tai chi works a treat. Dooku and Palpatine were proper Force gangstas so Yoda had to bust out the lightsaber. See also mojoless loser Obi-Wan in the third episode getting hoisted up like he ain't poo poo - that ain't gonna work again if they meet next week.

Anyway, I dug the ep, it was a huge improvement over last week's farce, though there was still some dumb poo poo here and there and they offed the two best new characters in the whole drat thing - RIP Tala & NED, booooo.

Yoda dunked on Ventress in the Clone Wars animated show. She was no match for him and he even tells her as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcsrxcHZz6s&t=21s

He can't do that to someone like Dooku or Palpatine

You can see the same thing when Palpatine fights Maul and Savage, he knows he isn't ever in any danger and is just having an absolute blast toying with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg

Vader toying with Reva is the same thing, no matter how angry she gets and no matter how many lightsabers she has she won't ever be a threat to him. She just isn't anywhere close to his level and he's showing her that she has a less than zero chance of ever beating him

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

It's less of a problem if you can't say this about basically every scene in this episode. Ideally things should make some kind of sense. FWIW I don't have a problem with the Leia stuff, but the thermal detonator poo poo was just a cheap way to write off the one interesting new character they introduced here so much that it robbed the moment of any sort of gravitas.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Well, they’re right. It does look cool
The big problem with giving characters DBZ-level superpowers in the official live-action movies/shows (instead of just videogames or cartoons) is that it breaks immersion when they don't use those same powers again in other situations.
You're telling me Vader can reach out, crash a ship, and rip it open like nothing, but two episodes ago a little bit of fire blocked him from grabbing Obi-Wan when he was being dragged away?

I'm just not a big fan of the power-creep of force telekinesis. It's not canon anymore, but I remember how people were a little annoyed by Starkiller grabbing a whole Star Destroyer in The Force Unleashed.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 16, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't know. I don't have these problems when I watch:
Stranger Things
90% of of MCU stuff
For All Mankind

The only other show I still watch that frustrates me so much is Westworld.
:shrug:

Maybe it's because I grew up in the 1980s with the OT, and spent my dorky HS years playing West End Games Star Wars RPG and can tell you the difference between a Victory class and Imperial class Star Destroyer. I guess it's my fault for being Comic Book Guy when it comes to Star Wars. I was so underwhelmed by the Sequel Trilogy I actually stopped caring completely. I didn't watch Mando until after it aired and friends insisted I had to watch it. Guess it's back to apathy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Think it's going to be hard to top Palpatine downing an entire fleet with force lightning in TRoS.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It's not a problem for people to be critical of things they are watching. These people are professional writers, there should not be writing so bad you immediately go "wait, what the gently caress"

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

This is one thing, but when you're presented with a siege where the attacking faction has infinite resources and doesn't have anyone watching over the roof of the hangar, it makes it really obvious that the writers aren't great. Besides, is the writing in scenes that don't involve military logic any better?
Edit: Also, capturing someone... by taking them into their own base. That was hilarious.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 16, 2022

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So I missed if it was shown: Can someone give me the route Obi Wan took from being surrounded by storm Troopers to getting on the exit shuttle at the end of the episode? Is he on a different transport or did he skip around Vader somehow?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Holy poo poo was that firefight embarrassing to watch. I can buy individual troopers being caught off guard not being able to hit a single hero, but a full company or whatever pouring it on full auto against rebels standing still in the open and the only shot that hits someone is a trooper getting into melee range. Look, I don't need tacticool poo poo but even the very beginning of New Hope got it right. Just have the rebels be behind cover and the stormtroopers being bad shots but still picking off people here and there through sheer numbers.

It's really hard to take the Empire seriously as a threat when they're this incompetent.

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, I was going to post more about this.
When Leia volunteered I was like "What? Why? How?"
But then I realized:
1: Kids that age love helping and she's Leia friggin' Organa future leader of the Rebellion. She's sure as hell going to offer to do whatever she can when people are in trouble.
2: Everyone is desperate so why not use the kid the Jedi master explicitly trusts. Sure she probably has no technical skills, but why not.
3: It's not like the mechanics stops his own attempts...at least I don't think so. I don't think we see him much more after that. It's just betting on 2 horses instead of only 1.
4: Inside the tunnels she's mumbling to herself that she needs something with a red light, so they obviously gave her some instructions off screen.

Having worked on some plumbing poo poo lately if I could get a smaller version of me to help I absolutely would. A project that would take hours just to dissemble some stuff just to reach some other stuff would be much easier if someone can just squeeze in there.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 16, 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

You're telling me Vader can reach out, crash a ship, and rip it open like nothing, but two episodes ago a little bit of fire blocked him from grabbing Obi-Wan when he was being dragged away?

To me, that just goes to show how badly done that fight in the third episode was. I have to imagine we’re supposed to interpret that scene as Vader letting Kenobi go, either for tactical or emotional reasons, but it was done so poorly it just comes off as confusing. So for me, THAT fight is the outlier, not him pulling the ship.

As for ANH, well I think there’s a difference between pulling a nearby ship that’s just taking off, and trying to pull down fast moving ships from like, a window in the Death Star. Plus anakin is a super ace pilot, probably felt good about his chances in his TIE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

So I missed if it was shown: Can someone give me the route Obi Wan took from being surrounded by storm Troopers to getting on the exit shuttle at the end of the episode? Is he on a different transport or did he skip around Vader somehow?
He was already in the tunnel and moving towards the hangar when Vader entered the tunnel. He had a head start of at least 30 seconds.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Holy poo poo was that firefight embarrassing to watch. I can buy individual troopers being caught off guard not being able to hit a single hero, but a full company or whatever pouring it on full auto against rebels standing still in the open and the only shot that hits someone is a trooper getting into melee range. Look, I don't need tacticool poo poo but even the very beginning of New Hope got it right. Just have the rebels be behind cover and the stormtroopers being bad shots but still picking off people here and there through sheer numbers.

It's really hard to take the Empire seriously as a threat when they're this incompetent.

It reminded me of those videos on YouTube where someone sets up a battle between 50 Captain Americas and 2000 Clone Troopers and 2000 Dothraki and the simulator just fight it out with no regard for tactics whatsoever. I guess it's a function that new screen thing or whatever, but every setting in this show feels like a 1990s video game level where everything seems like it's on rails. Let's have 100 stormtroopers stand in an area the size of school gym!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, that was practically GI Joe "no one gets hit in a laser firefight" level ridiculousness. The fact that the scene kept dragging on and we saw dozens of stormtroopers squeeze into that room like the Keystone Cops while the rebels weren't suffering any losses drained all tension. I was trying to understand why it was so bloodless and making up excuses in my head, like "oh, maybe since it's a Disney+ show, we don't want to show too much killing" but this was in an episode where we had literal child murder on-screen!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

This episode is like exhibit A of the disconnect between people who just watch things and go "that was good product, I'm ready for next product" without taking a second to think about any of it and people who watch it and think logically about what is going on. It was really bad

Why did they send just two ships of troops down, not have any air support to cover an attempted escape, sit there and let a cannon shoot at the door when Reva could just walk up and cut it open with her lightsaber as she ended up doing anyway. Why is Bail Organa the dumbest man alive, and Obi Wan the next dumbest man alive. If you think Obi Wan got captured why the hell are you sending him a message with all of the things someone would need to know to about Luke being someone really important, and if you are Obi-Wan how in the hell do you not see that and immediately destroy the communicator with the message or erase it :psyduck:

Bail is supposed to be a founding member of the rebellion and he knows how important the twins are, how could he do something like that and put Luke into that kind of danger. Obi-Wan knows how important Luke is and that he can't let anything happen to him or anyone find out about him. That is just colossally stupid on so many levels by both of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Necrothatcher posted:

The issue is that we’re meant to assume Reza knows about the space-meth gang (the ones she hires to kidnap Leia) from her pre-Inquisition days. She grew up homeless on a Libertarian planet, which is why she acts like life is cheap. That’s the kind of logical implication that provides characterization.

So you can’t have it both ways.