Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Any particular reason you want a 4 post instead of 2? Much easier to work on cars with a 2 poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its probably a drive up hoist, and he mentioned casters, so moving it throughout the garage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hypnolobster posted:

FWIW I have a couple different IWISS crimpers and they've been great.
I own an IWISS crimper as well and was honestly very surprised by the quality of the jaws when it arrived, I would have expected a much higher price looking at it. I'll buy from them again without question.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Want to use it for storing two cars in one space and leaving something up on a two post is asking for trouble. Also not having to bolt it down and be able to move it will be useful in case I have to move or roll it outside to lift a tall vehicle.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I own an IWISS crimper as well and was honestly very surprised by the quality of the jaws when it arrived, I would have expected a much higher price looking at it. I'll buy from them again without question.

They're a far cry from a proper Molex, JST, DMC, or the like, but they're solid for homeowner/garage stuff. The jaws aren't hardened the way industrial crimpers' are, so they'll wear out in a few hundred or thousand crimps. Big deal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's one reason I was surprised, the cutter jaws on a large gauge B-profile crimper I bought to make jumper cables appear to be hard chromed. I was NOT expecting that. They're nice and sharp still after being used to cut #4 and #2 cable.

I wouldn't be surprised if smaller tools from them aren't hardened though.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I don’t remember if I’ve linked these here before but I wanted to rave about these awesome angled cutters for electronics and small delicate cutting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002RDDLZE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Every time I use them they surprise me with how nice they are and how fine the cutting edges are.
Less impressed with the cable cutters from the same brand. I have knipex at work, and they are much better. I still use them, they just aren’t as smooth and the curve on the knipex is much more maneuverable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002RDDLMC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Anyone have recommendations on entry level 4 post lifts? I am over crawling around on my back to do everything and want to be able to store more cars in the garage/have more space to work in.

Got a quote on an Atlas 8000Pro for $4700 delivered and installed after tax. With AZ sales tax it comes in at about $4000 so delivery and install is $700 which seems reasonable.

I've got experience with a 110v eagle lift and it was totally fine. Currently using a backyard buddy that I lucked into but is way overpriced at retail.

Diy setup on both wasn't bad with a friend and engine crane.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

i bought an iwiss crimper recently and was also quite surprised by the build quality. you probably have to spend at least 10x the cost to get something better. i dont think mine are plated, though. its a spark plug wire crimper, so i probably won't do more than a few dozen of them total

i was actually thinking of iwiss when i said 'something from aliexpress'. good enough, but dont expect actual milspec quality

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

BigPaddy posted:

Anyone have recommendations on entry level 4 post lifts? I am over crawling around on my back to do everything and want to be able to store more cars in the garage/have more space to work in.

Got a quote on an Atlas 8000Pro for $4700 delivered and installed after tax. With AZ sales tax it comes in at about $4000 so delivery and install is $700 which seems reasonable.

I have the extended lift height version. https://www.atlasautoequipment.ca/atlas-garage-pro-8000-ext-4-post-lift-8-000lbs-capacity/. It works well, solid and has yet to give me any hassle. Sturdier than a friends danmar. I would recommend the aluminum ramps, as the steel ones it comes with are a massive pain.

Pardon the shitshow mess, still getting the garage set up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have pretty high celings in my garage, but not that high. I wish that were an option for getting the 911 out of the way in the winter :(

If I had a place for it in my garage I'd totally buy a tire mounting machine and a balancer.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
12 foot ceilings in the garage was one of the primary reasons for buying this place. they do throw your sense of scale off though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sgt Fox posted:

Pardon the shitshow mess, still getting the garage set up.

Mess? Dude, that is cleaner than my hangar was THE DAY I SIGNED THE LEASE.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ceilings in my garage are about 12ft. They could have built them higher to match the main living spaces roof line but it is high enough. Should hear back today about them coming out to check the space and book an install date. Just need to pull everything out of the garage which will be fun.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Currently using a backyard buddy that I lucked into but is way overpriced at retail.
Looked into backyard buddy once upon a time since they're only about an hour away from me and was annoyed that they don't give you a price without calling them. They seemed to be way overbuilt with a "buy American, you traitor" vibe, so perfect for boomers with project cars, and I just assumed they would be $$$$.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ugh, my parents' garage is packed and can only fit one car and I need to move a bunch of junk to use a jack on it (they used to park two cars in there when we were kids).

I'm in a rental sharing the garage with the person downstairs, who uses it as storage for a bunch of junk, so I can't do anything there besides park and store a couple of bicycles.

Thinking about buying houses in a year or two, but nothing with huge garages in the area I wanna live.

Y'all are making me jealous.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have a portacool swamp cooler that has all the buy American you commie stuff and it failed after sitting for one winter. They are over priced and from what I read when looking into the issue have a bunch of QC problems. So buy American for three times the price and no quality benefits I guess.

Also any company that plays the “if you have to ask you can’t afford it” game and are not Ferrari can :frogout:

Edit: found a backyard buddy price list and the basic 4 post lift without tax and install costs $100 more than the quote I got for an Atlas lift including tax and installation.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 16, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Also any company that plays the “if you have to ask you can’t afford it” game and are not Ferrari can :frogout:
Anyone who says "call for pricing" just makes me assume they're not competitive on price and wants to fill my ears with a bunch of bullshit before they tell me what it will cost.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I feel similar, but to be fair a lot of sellers now use manufacturer supplied price lists which they base their selling prices on to automate the process.

No electronic price list=no selling price which make someone need to do it manually....which is work you know :rolleyes:

This is especially common now that many places limit their own on-hand inventory (or are just e-storefronts with no physical location) so they don't even have a cost for their inventory, because, well, they don't really have any.

Can't speak for any of these guys specifically but I run across it in industry all the time. We're guilty of it too and have a large e-front which is awful

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Ceilings in my garage are about 12ft. They could have built them higher to match the main living spaces roof line but it is high enough. Should hear back today about them coming out to check the space and book an install date. Just need to pull everything out of the garage which will be fun.

I've got a friend that wants nearly 20 foot ceilings so he can have his van or Land Cruiser 80 series up over a 6'6" person's head. I've told him that's dumb but he won't listen so he'll probably end up having to build a massive shop when he buys land which actually might be his ulterior motive there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got a friend that wants nearly 20 foot ceilings so he can have his van or Land Cruiser 80 series up over a 6'6" person's head. I've told him that's dumb but he won't listen so he'll probably end up having to build a massive shop when he buys land which actually might be his ulterior motive there.

Someone in my neighborhood rebuilt their attached garage to make it two stories tall so they could make the garage door tall enough to put their RV in there. It looks loving absurd because it’s attached and the footprint isn’t noticeably bigger than a normal attached garage but it’s just a whole lot taller. I hope it serves his purpose well enough to compensate for that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

New builds around here have the option for a 2 car garage and an RV garage which is single width but 20ft ceilings. I was interested in that until all the builders told me to do one for not wanting the most expensive McMansion they offered.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

New builds around here have the option for a 2 car garage and an RV garage which is single width but 20ft ceilings. I was interested in that until all the builders told me to do one for not wanting the most expensive McMansion they offered.

My friend had one of those up near Desert Ridge, thing was beautiful. RV garage had a second garage door on the back with a concrete pad so he could back his bus RV with the trailer and car right in.

Ended up building a new house up in Cave Creek that has a detached 3x RV garage thing. Two lifts next to the RV. I'm pretty jelly, thing is beautiful.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ordered the lift and scheduled delivery and installation when I get back from a vacation next month. The one they quoted wasn’t in stock, shockingly, but a more expensive one was. I told them I would buy it if they threw in the air jacks so saved a little bit there. Under $5k all in. Now to tidy up the garage so there is space. Probably should put the Pontiac back together as that would get an engine, transmission and suspension out the way.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Any suggestions for storing a loaded grease gun in a vehicle? There has to be a better solution than a garbage bag wrapped in a garbage bag wrapped in the upholstery.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Any suggestions for storing a loaded grease gun in a vehicle? There has to be a better solution than a garbage bag wrapped in a garbage bag wrapped in the upholstery.

lol the grease always melts and get all over everything in the summer. I'm totally willing to hear a better solution than a garbage bag with a pair of gloves and roll of paper towels to deal with it when you need to use the thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Keep the handle stroked down and tie it with a bungee or something so it doesn't accidentally get stroked.

But yeah, plastic and more plastic. Or keep it in an old tied up rubber boot or something.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Some grease resists oozing everywhere pretty well, but also it's all expensive bearing grease. I don't think there's a single pin grease that doesn't dribble like mad.

In my work truck I keep my grease guns in a 5 gallon bucket with a false bottom (which is actually one of those car wash dirt trap bucket inserts) that keeps them out of the goo. It's a service body truck though. Bucket might be sort of annoying inside.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

5gallon with a lid. greasy crap goes inside, only comes out when greasing needs doing.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Show of hands, how many people with leaky grease guns keep the spring retracted (like you're reloading it) when not in use? Mine stopped leaking when I started doing that, but I think I moved from Atlanta to Detroit around the same time so it could be temperature related and I don't really know why it's fine now.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I have those grease gun condoms that go on the bottom cap/tube and the grease nozzle, and yeah those don't work. I mean they are an improvement, work 95% of the time hanging on my wall. Not going to cut it for being in a vehicle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I keep mine retracted and it's still a greasy loving mess.

If I was gonna choose a way to store a grease gun in a vehicle I would find an old school metal toolbox for a specific tool (my Milwaukee D handle right angle hole hawg seems like a good candidate, maybe) and gut it, weld in support ribs to keep the grease gun in the right spot, then rhinoline the thing, and just keep it in there, always lying with the same side down. Now I'm going to have to see if it'll fit because I think my hole hawg has been in its case for like 1 week out of the last 9 years.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I store mine in a small Rubbermaid tub with a couple of shop towels in the bottom and a nitrile glove over the business end. Wipe it off after every use, it does ok.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Thanks, thread. I need some stainless hardware and Bolt Depot is about half the price of what I am seeing locally. Never would have known about the place without this thread.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Thanks, thread. I need some stainless hardware and Bolt Depot is about half the price of what I am seeing locally. Never would have known about the place without this thread.

I kinda think ai needs a resource thread for stuff like this to get listed in. And all the other wire from here and this company makes snap ons tools but cheap too info that's floating around here but hard to remember where to find.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tools! - you'd better double bag it for safety

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

honda whisperer posted:

I kinda think ai needs a resource thread for stuff like this to get listed in. And all the other wire from here and this company makes snap ons tools but cheap too info that's floating around here but hard to remember where to find.

I feel like we had something like that at one point. Pretty sure it was stickied.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel like we had something like that at one point. Pretty sure it was stickied.

we did, but it wasnt really maintained so there was just pages and pages of posts with links and no real organization, and some dead/outdated info too

i think if we bring it back, we will need a more dedicated volunteer OP to keep the first post up to date

not it!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Raluek posted:

we did, but it wasnt really maintained so there was just pages and pages of posts with links and no real organization, and some dead/outdated info too

i think if we bring it back, we will need a more dedicated volunteer OP to keep the first post up to date

not it!

Everyone post pics of your garage/tool space and its organization to see who would be best suited. Very obviously not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am breaking several laws in mine, no thanks.