Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
toronto had dumpsters and bins but a lot of businesses would also just pile their trash up on the sidewalk for some reason. it feels like a very east coast thing

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Some lard rear end

can we not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Weembles posted:

Manhattan was also built without alleys so they can't just keep a dumpster behind the building. If you're not a giant skyscraper with a dedicated trash room in your underground garage, you have no choice but to pile you poo poo up out on the street.

Neither Amsterdam, nor the city I live in have alleys and they've found another option (the no bags of trash leaking on the street option)

in fact I don't think I've ever been to a city other than NYC where bags of trash on the street wasn't seen as a failure with corrective action required

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Do they clean the spots where they pile the trash or is there just a big greasy trash puddle to show you where the trash goes after they pick it up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dog Case posted:

Do they clean the spots where they pile the trash or is there just a big greasy trash puddle to show you where the trash goes after they pick it up

what do you think?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

You were probated for posting about circumventing driver safety systems already before this post, you also added on top of that this time dangerous distracted driving - this absolutly does not fly in Automotive Insanity

The next time you post dangerous acts like this is a forumban. User loses posting privileges for 2 weeks.

lol @ the car subforum & that this is about the op’s tesla

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

lol @ the car subforum & that this is about the op’s tesla

double lol that it's a GBS archgoon from the olden days.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
imagine this in american cities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRvgmLLlhp0

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
My car suffered an electrical fire so now I'm stuck living like one of you people. I took an Lyft to work yesterday but the only ride home at 3am was 2022 Tesla, let's just say I'll be on my bike from now on.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

toronto had dumpsters and bins but a lot of businesses would also just pile their trash up on the sidewalk for some reason. it feels like a very east coast thing

can we not

We huck our garbage out on the curb for pickup but it's illegal to have it out any earlier than 7 PM the night before the rubbish guys come around.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

actionjackson posted:

I'm pretty sure there are still tons of people living in Manhattan

For as built up as it is, probably less than you'd expect though. It came as a shock when I realized how many of those tall buildings were totally empty after a certain hour

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a cyclist was killed while biking to raise money to pay for her granddaughter's surgery

is there anything more american, cars and for profit medicine

https://www.startribune.com/cyclist-on-trek-to-pay-for-granddaughters-surgery-killed-by-truck-on-south-dakota-interstate/600182302/

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

quote:

He was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
This is a pet peeve: the temporary "No Parking" signs used for construction and events and things in America take up, like, half the loving sidewalk:

Do other countries use these, or do they have a better solution? Or do they just have much wider sidewalks, so it's not as big of a deal?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ham Equity posted:

This is a pet peeve: the temporary "No Parking" signs used for construction and events and things in America take up, like, half the loving sidewalk:

Do other countries use these, or do they have a better solution? Or do they just have much wider sidewalks, so it's not as big of a deal?

America has some of the widest sidewalks I’ve ever seen

they use these in Türkiye

but people will just move them and park anyway.

American drivers are thoughtful, loving angels compared to my typical experience actually. you have it pretty drat good here.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Jun 16, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

I've never seen a sign like this in my life

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've never seen a sign like this in my life

What the hell do they use in Pittsburgh?

Apr 7, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

What the hell do they use in Pittsburgh?

vinyl or steel pop-up signs in the road itself, nothing that impinges on the sidewalk

No parking notices are put on utility poles or light poles

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I would love for you to look at some maps of the section of Virginia called "Tyson's Corner" because it is one of the least walkable cities I've ever experienced
just in your own time, if you want some laughs

It's like this curvy mess of air port roads.
A drive around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXv8ZeOjbKg

There is this part in the middle of the buildings that looks like a city center, but it's more like decoration for the buildings than an actual enjoyable area to live. The constant sound of cars warns you that you could be run over by one crazy car that would cut through it all.

A walk around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e9jVkPyoXU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Also, I get that the New York Subway is an old system and it is going to have its idiosyncrasies but man it was hard to be impressed by it after you left the US. I would say more than just the trash or its lack of user-friendliness, it is just so so slow. It is uniquely American to allow the heart of the transit system of your largest urban center to fall into disrepair.

Is Manhattan is still nearly a ghost-town like it was after COVID?

Tourists are back but office commuters still aren't there in pre-pandemic numbers. So foot traffic is less than it was while car traffic is actually even worse because millions of idiots independently decided they needed a personal motor vehicle to stay safe from COVID. Relatedly, these people are astounded that when you buy a car, the universe doesn't magically extrude an extra three open parking spaces for you.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

gat dang do i love 2 live in a city with ALLEYS

alleys rule so hard. the other day I was thinking: what if we just let the streets go to poo poo with all the cars and pedestrianize alleys?
alleys are already human-sized. all you'd have to do is add plants and poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a_pineapple posted:

alleys rule so hard. the other day I was thinking: what if we just let the streets go to poo poo with all the cars and pedestrianize alleys?

they have them in Seattle but they’re mainly thoroughfares for ebikes (cars) going way too fast and getting surly at pedestrians. if we can get rid of ebikes it would be better. best would be to get rid of cars and ebikes.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

a_pineapple posted:

where does all the garbage and piano deliveries go?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Last time I was in Amsterdam they had underground repositories for garbaj. It was insane. You'd take waste to an underground garbage place and make it rain in that bitch.
periodically a garbage truck with a crane would lift the entire garbage receptacle out and whisk it away to the dump
Underground dumpster, basically. It was cool AF. The US is way behind the times. Shithole country.

Pianos? fuckifiknow probably fall on peoples heads. fuckin killer rear end pianos. do NOT gently caress with them.

edit: near the underground dumpster I found a box with cassettes and I took some. Here is one of them:

a_pineapple has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Jun 16, 2022

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

neighborhood dumpsters though, I suppose that would require americans to actually participate in their community and use a communal dumpster/recycling.... which they'd just be like COMMUNISM and reject immediately

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Could probably convince someone to swear off sex because it has com in it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vinyl or steel pop-up signs in the road itself, nothing that impinges on the sidewalk

Could you post pictures?

I'mma show up at a meeting.

Apr 7, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Could you post pictures?

I'mma show up at a meeting.

Next time I see some, sure. May be a while since they just finished construction at the top of the block. There are evenly spaced utility poles on my street and most streets and any parking variances or notifications go on those.

Apr 7, 2003

A restaurant worker who probably got sick of his shithead customers went into a city parking garage here and smashed up a bunch of expensive cars. Sports radio guy went on to rant about it this morning and talk about how he hates it when people beat up "things that can't fight back." Americans have brain damage.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

I saw signs like this on Arlington earlier this week that were conveniently blocking the sidewalk while I was trying to bike back up

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

I saw signs like this on Arlington earlier this week that were conveniently blocking the sidewalk while I was trying to bike back up

were they metal foldy ones like that or vinyl stuff that utility workers drop?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

were they metal foldy ones like that or vinyl stuff that utility workers drop?

They were these huge orange road construction signs with metal bases that took up the entire sidewalk opposite from Sycamore. Another biker must have gotten pissed off at it because I noticed someone threw it in the grass the other day lol.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

people beat up "things that can't fight back."

they need to do way instain cooks, who hit thier cars because these cars can't frigth back?? it was on the news this mroing

(i'm so sorry, that's all i could think of when i saw the quote)

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

They were these huge orange road construction signs with metal bases that took up the entire sidewalk opposite from Sycamore. Another biker must have gotten pissed off at it because I noticed someone threw it in the grass the other day lol.

Yeah, those are contractor-dropped, I used to throw those out when I worked in fiber optic construction

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

too real

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
i went out and attempted to collect signatures to say pretty please make the bus lane in a planned avenue reconstruction a dedicated 24/7 bus lane on day 1 of the opening and not try and cling to these loving street parking spots. i was outside at a bus station and most people were on my side. went a few blocks away and this guy was waiting for someone outside a pharmacy while he was with the dog.

hi did you they're reconstructing henenpin ave in two years?
yes.
i flip over my clipboard to show the proposed plan mockup. then you know about the dedicated bike lane, the dedicated bus lane?
yes.
well i'm trying to collect signatures saying we want dedicated bus lanes day 1, if you'd like to sign right here!
i don't like the proposal at all, i don't like the bus lanes and i like the parking on the street.
oh. i rattle off some stats about parking and say people who take transit are more likely to stay in an area and shop multiple places.
parked cars make a great barrier between traffic and people, it's safer(I never heard this car brain argument)
i refer to the plan mockup picture where it goes center barrier>car lane>bus lane>plant boulevard>bike lane> sidewalk with pedestrians. does this look protected to pedestrians to you?
buses are too noisy
i point to the 20+ cars that just happen to be lined up at a red light in front of us. those 20 cars could be 1 bus.
ok cars can make noise... but i like parking on hennepin when i go to the restaurants.
oh do you live around here?
28th and fremont.
i have to just glare at him.

this is a map of the avenue in question with the restaurants and an x where this nimby zilch lives and likes to drive to the restaurants.

he stammers something about usually walking and i say more lanes more cars, thank you for your time.

i wanted to thank this thread. i didn't encounter much car brain(they were in their cars hyuck) but what i did was loving destroyed by facts and logic gleamed from here. and it flowed effortlessly because it's the truth: cars bad.

Kicked Throat has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Jun 16, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Hennepin Ave. stuff is so loving annoying. That street sucks to drive on, which means it’s a gently caress to park on.

My gal and I walked a little over a mile to grab dinner last night, it loving ruled. While we’re on the small patio, we watched all these car-brained people try to navigate their tiny parking lot. One was a Suburban that had a tag for the local private school about a mile away, they probably lived in easily walkable or bikeable distance.

I hate it!

The Ford site? I remember seeing a 90-something comment about how she couldn’t see herself fitting in their because of it’s walkable design or whatever. Like yeah, lady! Statistically, you’re not making it to see the Ford site all the way through, so gently caress your opinion!

Sorry, the Twin Cities has the capacity to be so dense and great, and Boomer fucks keep stopping it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cool “outpost,” america

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kicked Throat posted:

i went out and attempted to collect signatures to say pretty please make the bus lane in a planned avenue reconstruction a dedicated 24/7 bus lane on day 1 of the opening and not try and cling to these loving street parking spots. i was outside at a bus station and most people were on my side. went a few blocks away and this guy was waiting for someone outside a pharmacy while he was with the dog.

hi did you they're reconstructing henenpin ave in two years?
yes.
i flip over my clipboard to show the proposed plan mockup. then you know about the dedicated bike lane, the dedicated bus lane?
yes.
well i'm trying to collect signatures saying we want dedicated bus lanes day 1, if you'd like to sign right here!
i don't like the proposal at all, i don't like the bus lanes and i like the parking on the street.
oh. i rattle off some stats about parking and say people who take transit are more likely to stay in an area and shop multiple places.
parked cars make a great barrier between traffic and people, it's safer(I never heard this car brain argument)
i refer to the plan mockup picture where it goes center barrier>car lane>bus lane>plant boulevard>bike lane> sidewalk with pedestrians. does this look protected to pedestrians to you?
buses are too noisy
i point to the 20+ cars that just happen to be lined up at a red light in front of us. those 20 cars could be 1 bus.
ok cars can make noise... but i like parking on hennepin when i go to the restaurants.
oh do you live around here?
28th and fremont.
i have to just glare at him.

this is a map of the avenue in question with the restaurants and an x where this nimby zilch lives and likes to drive to the restaurants.

he stammers something about usually walking and i say more lanes more cars, thank you for your time.

i wanted to thank this thread. i didn't encounter much car brain(they were in their cars hyuck) but what i did was loving destroyed by facts and logic gleamed from here. and it flowed effortlessly because it's the truth: cars bad.

have you ever posted in the minneapolis thread? it's pretty active. I'm in prospect park and do a bit of canvassing for the twin cities boulevard

mawarannahr posted:

cool “outpost,” america

the area is a mess, but having a business come right up to the sidewalk is already better than 99% of the country

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jun 16, 2022

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

cool “outpost,” america

lmao

"American eats" - overpriced items you can make at home or some ungodly Guy Fieri fusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
i had to look it up and, like every other hip american suburban restaurant, it's basically just an upscale applebees