Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Interesting article. Anyone heard about this? I also saw it in the FT also for what it's worth

https://www.asiamarkets.com/chinese-banks-run/

There’s a run on Chinese banks and it’s being ignored by the world

Control your soul's desire for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Surely this has to be good for bitcoin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
1. its limited to a tiny region of henan and anhui

2. if you see 'jennifer zeng' as a news source you should just assume it's a falun gong mouthpiece, which I think this one is

they have sufficient casus belli against the mainland, certainly. the organ harvesting definitely happened and it definitely happened from falun gong peeps. however over the last 20 years they've turned into turbo-chud republicans, bigger republicans than actual republicans up to and including doctrinal support for killing homosexuals and disbelief in evolution, disavowal of vaccines, qanon poo poo and the signature republican move of bad-faith media sources

there's been a lotta shadow banking problems, this is just another one of them. the name sounds like the triads doing it but it's mostly otherwise-legitimate banks sweating because of their bad profitability and large amount of bad loans on books doing quasi-legitimate things to deal with both. in this case it backfired

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 14, 2022

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

bob dobbs is dead posted:

2. if you see 'jennifer zeng' as a news source you should just assume it's a falun gong mouthpiece, which I think this one is

they have sufficient casus belli against the mainland, certainly. the organ harvesting definitely happened and it definitely happened from falun gong peeps. however over the last 20 years they've turned into turbo-chud republicans, bigger republicans than actual republicans up to and including doctrinal support for killing homosexuals and disbelief in evolution, disavowal of vaccines, qanon poo poo and the signature republican move of bad-faith media sources

there's been a lotta shadow banking problems, this is just another one of them. the name sounds like the triads doing it but it's mostly otherwise-legitimate banks sweating because of their bad profitability and large amount of bad loans on books doing quasi-legitimate things to deal with both. in this case it backfired

This is somewhat re-assuring. Seeing ICBC listed in that lot was concerning though.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Chris Chappel of China Uncensored on YT is a massive Falun Gong mouthpiece. They're a pretty popular channel oddly enough.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Tarkus posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Chris Chappel of China Uncensored on YT is a massive Falun Gong mouthpiece. They're a pretty popular channel oddly enough.

China Insights too.

This guy does reasonable (if a bit repetitive) analysis: https://youtu.be/WslA_VK7uIg

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Please forgive the stupidity/ignorance of this question:

What is the difference, (if any), between Falun Gong and Falun Dafa?

Coz I have seen them referred to as both.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrigadierSensible posted:

Different names for the same organization.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

One of the fun things to come out of the Henan banking thing is that rather than deal with the petitioners the old fashioned way (beat them up or wait for them to gently caress off), the local government just prevented them from traveling by loving with their health code: https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1010547/henan-bank-depositors-hit-with-red-health-codes?source=channel_home

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so if people arent supposed to take money out of the country how do they buy foreign assets (real estate etc)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Alan Smithee posted:

so if people arent supposed to take money out of the country how do they buy foreign assets (real estate etc)

CCP recently (in the wake of the sanctions against Russia) just banned party members from holding assets/ having foreign investments.

Ostensibly to defend against sanctions and stem the lolworthy capital flight, but more likely to identify the faithful.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

The methods used in the last couple of years have included paying family members or trusted persons to use their annual outbound transfer limit ($50,000?) on their behalf for a small fee. There was some kinda insurance swap thing in Hong Kong that went on for years that paid out in dollars (or maybe it was Macau?).

There's also the regular old money laundering / currency swapping thing of people trading RMB for dollars. (Chinese diaspora making dollars or whatever trading for RMB back home to persons with holdings in China that want dollars )

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let’s not forget Crypto aka money laundering.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
You mean to say that rich people have found ways to break the rules regarding what they can do with their money? Sorry, but I find that a little hard to believe.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tbf the chinese seem to at least make an example out of the elite every now and then unlike here

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China only has room for one elite.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Banking issue and a real estate bubble popping?

I wonder how the ccp will use their power to slove these problems.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Going by a famous example in a neighbouring country, a consumption tax.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ups_rail posted:

Banking issue and a real estate bubble popping?

Obviously, this is the dual circulation strategy working exactly as intended.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf the chinese seem to at least make an example out of the elite every now and then unlike here

My understanding is that’s more for factional purges and power consolidation than any ethical purpose

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BrigadierSensible posted:

Falun Gong references their qigong practices, which was the primary recruitment method in the 90s, while Falun Dafa references the actual cultic beliefs underneath those qigong practices. Despite that, as far as I know, they are just straight synonyms that the organisation has used interchangeably since their inception.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah being rich isn't the problem, it's being not in power.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
Avoid infection, avoid the Tent of Shame

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

big time bisexual posted:

Avoid infection, avoid the Tent of Shame

lord i must be on a naughty BBS with 28.8 again

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

2 questions. Unrelated to each other. Both naive and uninformed. So I am sorry.

1) Re: Chinese money laundering/black money/etc. Do you think that it would get to the point where the CCP would do what Modi did a few years ago and demonetize certain banknotes? Coz that caused a whole heap of hassles. Mostly for poor folk who earned their money in cash, and only slightly for those it was targeted against. Would that be an option in China? Or is that a "solution", (note the quotation marks), for a different problem. I am not an economist and I don't understand a lot of this stuff.

2) Is it possible to voluntarily leave The Party? And if you do so are there punishments/consequences? Do you need a compelling reason, or will they claim that not wanting to be a Party Member is tantamount to treason? Can you go back to being just a normal person, or do you have the stain of Party membership, (and all the surveillance/restrictions/etc. that come along with it), for life. Similar question for if you get kicked out of the Party. i.e. Lets say you are disharmonious enough to get kicked out of The Party, but not disharmonious enough for them to bother disappearing you. Do you get to lead a normal life as an accountant or whatever? Or do you forever have a black stain, and thus no employer/service will touch you?

Once again, apologies for the possibly stupid questions.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you leave the party by not paying the dues. that's it, lol. it's 99% carrot 1% stick. dues are calculated on your salary, they're progressive (like progressive taxation) but it's like, 0.5%, basically nothing, they take in less than 1 billion renminbi from 100 million peeps and don't give a poo poo cuz the actual funding comes from the main taxes

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 15, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
From what I know, you're legally required to be a party member if you're part of the upper management of any large-ish company in China, so leaving the party would mean you also have to leave your [high-paying] job. I wouldn't exactly call that a huge threat, more of a huge hassle, but I think the main reason you don't see it happening more often is because there really isn't that much reason to leave in the first place. I guess the US and some other countries will treat you as a security concern in some situations when you visit or do business there, but that's what nephews are for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The party is mostly for the business connections and climbing the class ladder. You know, communism.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 15, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yep.
The stated reason for this is to make sure that anyone over a certain level of importance is Party, and this goal is indeed achieved, but the extremely obvious effect that must have been seen from the outset is the ladder climbing mentioned above.

Note that membership also brings certain responsibilities: harsher punishments for certain sorts of crimes, things becoming crimes when they're just fines for normal people, extra duties when disasters happen.
It's definitely a good idea to be Party if your career requires it, but it's very easy for it to be more trouble than it's worth otherwise.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tarkus posted:

Mike Chen was also literally an employee of flg before starting his very popular (probably bankrolled by flg) food channel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His channel is pretty fun though, Mike Chen's that is.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I don’t really think it’s possible to launch a surprise invasion of Taiwan. Russia built up its military on the Ukrainian border for months everyone saw and that’s a big land border over plains. Russia relied on its reputation for trolling and bluffing but China doesn’t have the same reputation and everyone would be more cautious post Ukraine anyway. If it happens it seems like there would be a big lead up that everyone would know about.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
iirc we've discussed it in this thread before and basically a maritime assault would be a bloodbath for China

either that or they really don't have any sort of military doctrine that would make it successful

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They're going to be hidden in shipping containers and it'll be World in Conflict all over again.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not to be all armchair general, but China could also make life miserable in Taiwan for a long time. They don't need to have better stuff when they can field 10x as much for as long as they please. How willing will educated Taiwanese be for a decade of below modern standards of living? China could be unable to hold it with boots on the ground and still effectively destroy Taiwan.

It'd be an even worse problem than what Ukraine is facing, with the fear that a significant potion of their educated workforce won't return even if the Russians withdraw.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Not to be all armchair general, but China could also make life miserable in Taiwan for a long time. They don't need to have better stuff when they can field 10x as much for as long as they please. How willing will educated Taiwanese be for a decade of below modern standards of living? China could be unable to hold it with boots on the ground and still effectively destroy Taiwan.

It'd be an even worse problem than what Ukraine is facing, with the fear that a significant potion of their educated workforce won't return even if the Russians withdraw.

True but making life miserable for Taiwan is not the same thing as taking it over and it would probably be counterproductive. It would lead to an enormous increase in anti-mainland sentiment and historically authoritarian regimes making life miserable for democratic nations leads to a big increase in the populations trust and belief in democratic values. The soviets tried to use siege tactics to gain west Berlin without an actual invasion and it did not work and in fact was probably the most effective event at denazifying Berlin and making them view rights and freedoms as more important than material security. Harassment like that hardens resolve far more often than it weakens it. On the other side the 50 year American embargo of Cuba seems to have not inspired a mass Cuban uprising as imagined.

China will only really be satisfied with Taiwan fully reunifying with the mainland and that will only occur through either an outright invasion or the Taiwanese desiring reunification. Harassing taiwan into it is doomed to failure.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 16, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If China invaded Taiwan Id friggin scream

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just couldn't control themselves with Hong Kong. I don't think it was guaranteed, most people in Taiwan have no interest in becoming part of the PRC, but if the PRC had genuinely respected Hong Kong's autonomy and never violated their agreements there was at least a chance Taiwan would be willing to take the same deal. Yet another instance of short sighted thinking loving up China's plans. Sorry I mean the mysterious Chinese think in centuries while the uncouth westerners can only think to the next election. Insert misinterpreted Zhou Enlai anecdote here. I am very intelligent.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's like how American Red states couldn't help themselves after the upcoming Supreme Court abortion leaked. Falling all over themselves to pass horrendous laws criminalizing miscarriages, death penalty for doctors, gather personal info on pregnancies and publishing it, the works. The moment they felt they had the ability, they loving went all out. So it goes with authoritarian nightmare people and regimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Jeoh posted:

They're going to be hidden in shipping containers and it'll be World in Conflict all over again.

Chinese army defeated by a longshoremen strike.