Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

Does anyone have experience with Motorola's Gestures? They're my favorite thing about the phone but on my G7 Play they stopped working a couple weeks ago. Now to enable them I have to go to the Moto app, turn them off, and turn them back on again, but they only work for a little while and usually the next time I turn on my phone they've stopped. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Have you restarted the phone lately? Checked for updates?

I have two Motorola phones and haven't seen what you describe pop up with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you restarted the phone lately? Checked for updates?

I have two Motorola phones and haven't seen what you describe pop up with them.

Yeah, I restarted it around the time I noticed it and just restarted it again. No result. It does say "moto actions are active" when it restarts, but they still don't work until I manually turn them off and on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

Yeah, I restarted it around the time I noticed it and just restarted it again. No result. It does say "moto actions are active" when it restarts, but they still don't work until I manually turn them off and on.

Maybe try clearing the cache on the Moto app? Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of it? I just dug around in the settings on my phone running Android 10 and don't see anything obviously linked to the gestures.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Rap Game Goku posted:

On my pixel 6 pro on android 12, there is an option in Settings->Network & Internet->Internet->Network Preferences "Switch to mobile data automatically" that should turn that behavior off. No idea if that's going to be present on your TCL

Let's see. Settings, check.

Network & Internet. Not an option.

Search settings for "internet". Not an option.

Search settings for "network preferences". Not an option.

Search settings for "switch to mobile data". Not an option.

gently caress you TCL and gently caress you Google for all the fragmentation. And also gently caress you for this "I'm smarter than you" network-hopping bullshit.

Not switching to Apple though. Maybe one of those Linux phones will make some progress. I'm already one of "those people" that runs Linux on the desktop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PBCrunch posted:

Maybe one of those Linux phones will make some progress.

I needed a laugh this week, thanks.

I'm also not sure how Linux would solve the fragmentation issue with it also being open source.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Linux phones are still very much in its infancy and should absolutely not be used as a daily driver unless you want to tinker even more than custom Android roms. I do hope they take off at some point but unless they get some backing from a huge company, projects like Pinephone will simply stay that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PBCrunch posted:

Let's see. Settings, check.

Network & Internet. Not an option.

Search settings for "internet". Not an option.

Search settings for "network preferences". Not an option.

Search settings for "switch to mobile data". Not an option.

gently caress you TCL and gently caress you Google for all the fragmentation. And also gently caress you for this "I'm smarter than you" network-hopping bullshit.

Not switching to Apple though. Maybe one of those Linux phones will make some progress. I'm already one of "those people" that runs Linux on the desktop.

Somewhere in the WiFi connection screen there is an option to use the network as is, even without Internet. I think its only there when the network has no Internet though

Just toggling off mobile data is easier though

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe try clearing the cache on the Moto app? Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of it? I just dug around in the settings on my phone running Android 10 and don't see anything obviously linked to the gestures.

I cleared the cache and storage and weirdly it still remembered which gestures I'd enabled despite there being no user data left. My Google Voice app is also loving up now, keeping the screen black no matter what during calls. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just factory reset.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

bull3964 posted:

I needed a laugh this week, thanks.

I'm also not sure how Linux would solve the fragmentation issue with it also being open source.

Well it wouldn't solve the fragmentation problem, but at least I could use the source and fix the problem myself. Lol, no I couldn't.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

I cleared the cache and storage and weirdly it still remembered which gestures I'd enabled despite there being no user data left. My Google Voice app is also loving up now, keeping the screen black no matter what during calls. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just factory reset.

From what you're describing it seems like it would be a reasonable thing to try.

One other low-percentage idea I had was that a corrupt SD card could potentially cause weird issues, but I have no idea about the likelihood there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
drat I am sick of unlocking my phone and having it go to the home screen instead of where I left off. I went through Google's terrible support and evidently this is the intended behavior. So terrible.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

hooah posted:

drat I am sick of unlocking my phone and having it go to the home screen instead of where I left off. I went through Google's terrible support and evidently this is the intended behavior. So terrible.
On my Pixel 6, I just pressed the power button to lock the phone, then unlocked the phone with my fingerprint, and it brought me right back to your post. So terrible.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Merkinman posted:

On my Pixel 6, I just pressed the power button to lock the phone, then unlocked the phone with my fingerprint, and it brought me right back to your post. So terrible.

It almost always happens if the screen times out, but it also occasionally happens if I manually lock it like you did.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've just got a Fold 3, and being away from Samsung for years (I had to custom ROM that poo poo RIGHT quick) drat it's night and day in the UI department. It's snappy as hell, well designed, and the options. Oh god the OPTIONS. There are so many! You can do everything with this phone. I'm so, so happy. Reading on this is a joy. Comics look incredible, using 3 apps at once is easy, the camera is fantastic, and all the Bixby routines are going to be so useful.

This is a dream phone! Foldables are the future

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

hooah posted:

It almost always happens if the screen times out, but it also occasionally happens if I manually lock it like you did.

I even waited for my phone to auto lock and it still brought me back to Awful. Is it a very long period of time that it's locked? What phone do you have?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

hooah posted:

This sounds like aggressive memory management kicking things out

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Merkinman posted:

I even waited for my phone to auto lock and it still brought me back to Awful. Is it a very long period of time that it's locked? What phone do you have?

No, I can unlock it immediately and it'll happen. This is a Pixel 5. I already factory reset the drat thing to try to solve this.

couldcareless posted:

This sounds like aggressive memory management kicking things out

I wouldn't think so since whatever app I was using doesn't act like it's restarting fresh when I switch back to it. But it's entirely possible that my knowledge of memory management symptoms is outdated.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
In that case I'm going to assume some app is causing this behavior. It might be hard to pinpoint that, though. Best troubleshooting steps would be remove apps one at a time testing between each one and testing behavior between each uninstall.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

hooah posted:

No, I can unlock it immediately and it'll happen. This is a Pixel 5. I already factory reset the drat thing to try to solve this.

I wouldn't think so since whatever app I was using doesn't act like it's restarting fresh when I switch back to it. But it's entirely possible that my knowledge of memory management symptoms is outdated.

Do you have any aggressive battery saving apps? Any settings to max it out? Dumping a program from memory happens a lot with those.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

hooah posted:

I have a pixel 5 and it has never done this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I plunked my P6P on the charger last night and I forgot I left it on the calendar when it timed out. Calendar was still open when I unlocked this morning.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

minusX posted:

Do you have any aggressive battery saving apps? Any settings to max it out? Dumping a program from memory happens a lot with those.

Nope. Nothing managing the battery but the OS. This even happens in safe mode, and as I mentioned, immediately after factory resetting.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

hooah posted:

Nope. Nothing managing the battery but the OS. This even happens in safe mode, and as I mentioned, immediately after factory resetting.

Have you/can you try using a customer launcher like nova?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Have you/can you try using a customer launcher like nova?

Just tried Nova and it didn't make a difference. I also tried disabling Everywhere Launcher but also no change.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I have a weird problem with my fully updated, stock Android 12 T-Mobile Pixel 4a 5g. The microphone is extremely muffled (as in, with the other person at max volume, they can vaguely hear that I am saying something, but can't tell what it is) when the phone is in speakerphone (or in another app that treats it like a speakerphone. I originally detected the problem in a Google Meet). The weirdest part about it is, when I set my phone down in a meeting, the person on the other side can clearly hear the *thump* from that (or if I tap on the phone, or similar), but they cannot hear my voice. On a call, I can hold the phone away from me, talk continuously, and turn on and off speakerphone. I'll be clear when it is off, and nearly silent when it is on.

Is there a different microphone for speaker phone? Or could this be a software issue with a misconfigured voice cancellation?

I've rebooted the phone, but have not factory reset or anything. I Googled it a little bit and didn't see much, but I didn't exactly know what to search for.

Any ideas?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 16, 2022

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Grumpwagon posted:

I have a weird problem with my fully updated, stock Android 12 T-Mobile Pixel 4a 5g. The microphone is extremely muffled

Are the speaker/mic holes at the bottom of the phone near the charger port full of lint at all?

hooah posted:

Just tried Nova and it didn't make a difference. I also tried disabling Everywhere Launcher but also no change.

Everything I'm seeing online is saying that intended behavior is to return to whatever screen you were on when it was locked. There are a bunch of people who want it to return to home screen every time and all the responses are that it isn't possible. Maybe trade phones with one of those people ;)

Maybe the physical flash memory is going bad and the rest isn't enough to keep apps open when screen is off? Might be a warranty swap situation if you are still covered

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 16, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Grumpwagon posted:

Any ideas?

Clean out the microphone hole is my first thought. Seems to have helped mine recently.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

I've just got a Fold 3, and being away from Samsung for years (I had to custom ROM that poo poo RIGHT quick) drat it's night and day in the UI department. It's snappy as hell, well designed, and the options. Oh god the OPTIONS. There are so many! You can do everything with this phone. I'm so, so happy. Reading on this is a joy. Comics look incredible, using 3 apps at once is easy, the camera is fantastic, and all the Bixby routines are going to be so useful.

This is a dream phone! Foldables are the future

Yeah I just picked up an S21FE and the software is so, so much better than I remember Samsung being last time I gave them a shot

There's a fair bit of bloat preinstalled but nearly all of it is user-partition apps that can be freely uninstalled so whatever

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sorry for the newbie question, I'm using an iPhone right now and forgot some of the basics. If texting somebody with multiple phone numbers in their contact, can you tell which one is sending to you / you're sending to in a conversation?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also I can't get this Nokia 5.3 to connect to USB in any way other than charging, no matter the cable etc :facepalm:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Modern Android versions usually won't do anything other than charge automatically when you plug them in, there's probably a notification you can click on to opt-into data transfer

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

repiv posted:

Modern Android versions usually won't do anything other than charge automatically when you plug them in, there's probably a notification you can click on to opt-into data transfer

It's not giving that prompt. Heck, I even tried enabling developer options and USB debugging, and changing the default behavior to file transfer. I'm guessing it's another buggy Nokia product :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You try a different cable? It's possible the data pins are damaged somehow on the ones you are using so it won't do anything but charge.

Edit: Doh, I missed the 'no matter the cable' part.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

You try a different cable? It's possible the data pins are damaged somehow on the ones you are using so it won't do anything but charge.

Edit: Doh, I missed the 'no matter the cable' part.

Well, guess I had to use a USB 2 cable 🤔🙃

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I guess the USB port is very flaky. I wonder if there's schmutz in there.

OK, final question, can you recover an accidentally deleted call history without resetting the phone? It is backed up to Google Drive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Everything I'm seeing online is saying that intended behavior is to return to whatever screen you were on when it was locked. There are a bunch of people who want it to return to home screen every time and all the responses are that it isn't possible. Maybe trade phones with one of those people ;)

Maybe the physical flash memory is going bad and the rest isn't enough to keep apps open when screen is off? Might be a warranty swap situation if you are still covered

Lol I guess Google's support really is as bad as I thought then. They literally told me that's the intended behavior! I'm way out of warranty, unfortunately.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Sorry for the newbie question, I'm using an iPhone right now and forgot some of the basics. If texting somebody with multiple phone numbers in their contact, can you tell which one is sending to you / you're sending to in a conversation?

You're asking about in an Android app? I guess it depends on the app. I use the default Google SMS app and in the conversation, tap the three dots, tap Details, and it lists the people in the conversation and their phone numbers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

You're asking about in an Android app? I guess it depends on the app. I use the default Google SMS app and in the conversation, tap the three dots, tap Details, and it lists the people in the conversation and their phone numbers.

Yeah default. I was tapping their name at the top which shows all their contact info. I'll give it a try when I go home. I should know better but am tired and stressed 😅

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Yeah I just picked up an S21FE and the software is so, so much better than I remember Samsung being last time I gave them a shot

There's a fair bit of bloat preinstalled but nearly all of it is user-partition apps that can be freely uninstalled so whatever

My only experience prior to the Note9 was a friend's S5 (I think?) with TouchWizz, which was indeed pretty bad. OneUi on my Note's been great since it was new, and they improved it further quite a bit.

The Fold really looks like the first fresh idea since the slate, at this point it might become available for us before I even get my S22U lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looking for a really great android tablet, as similar to a recent ipad air or better.

Specifically android, mostly for gaming. I was thinking of the Tab S8 Ultra but it's a bit pricey and wasn't sure if I was out of my gourd.

I'd like to be able to use it for drawing and maybe get a drawing app (but not sure what to get for an app)

I don't really need a full fledged laptop, I have a desktop.