Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No the parties are fine but he draws the line at state aid.

e: 50 is the traditional number of years in a jubilee period, at the end of which slaves and prisoners would be freed and debts would be forgiven.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I don't know why anyone saying kier starmer is boring. As the kids say he's very "with it"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I don't know why anyone saying kier starmer is boring. As the kids say he's very "with it"

He said Jedi and Love Island during PMQs and I clapped!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the world that Keir Starmer wants to live in

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/pcaruanagalizia/status/1537320793708933125

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Can't seem to get the Eye of Sauron on Big Ben, alas...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tarnop posted:

He said Jedi and Love Island during PMQs and I clapped!

Yes he mentioned faygo soda and I was very impressed by his hip-ness.

However if he were to have a party at the shadow parliament HQ I'd want him gone instantly. We can't have leaders who don't follow the rules.

gently caress could you imagine the man watching love island? In a full suit sitting in front of his windows Vista laptop

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/dynamicguy16/status/1537426785352273920

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boris Johnson is more

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

i wonder how many times this has been reported as a death threat on twitter lol

Didn't it autoban you to post it on twitter at one point

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I drove past a sign in a field by the motorway today. It said

TROTS!!

in very large letters

Dutch for "proud", went on to say something about being proud about farmers, but made me giggle

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Better trots than the hundreds of nazi posters you get everywhere in rural France.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well at least this wasn't in that Times report on the state of kids in school https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1537431393629659137

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Well at least this wasn't in that Times report on the state of kids in school https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1537431393629659137

I don't see how that happens without it being purposeful tampering.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't see how that happens without it being purposeful tampering.

Someone on the TrashFuture discord worked at the warehouse responsible a while back and said it's just a cascade of privatisation ruining everything.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Lungboy posted:

They don't need vacant possession to sell the house though.

They don’t, but it does make it much harder to sell. In an ideal world the tenants would have a right of first refusal on the sale, but good luck selling the Tories on that. How abusable these new grounds are is going to depend a great deal on how much teeth the new legislation has to deal with landlords who just lie about wanting to move in.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1537439707818209280?s=19

Beautiful politics

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

thatcher: we are going to take the kids milk away

alaska: hold my floor cleaner

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

landlords who just lie

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tesseraction posted:

Someone on the TrashFuture discord worked at the warehouse responsible a while back and said it's just a cascade of privatisation ruining everything.

Good sealant is pretty expensive, seems like it would be a waste feeding kids Loctite 574 flange sealant.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

They don’t, but it does make it much harder to sell. In an ideal world the tenants would have a right of first refusal on the sale, but good luck selling the Tories on that. How abusable these new grounds are is going to depend a great deal on how much teeth the new legislation has to deal with landlords who just lie about wanting to move in.

I don't see a right of first refusal being that useful, how many tenants are likely to be able to just buy the house they're renting? Certainly not without some kind of additional mechanisms, like some kind of right to buy grant thingy coming in, or considering rent paid as deposit or something.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Enforcement is entirely down to local authorities which, as we know, are flush with resources and never corrupt.

The whitepaper makes vague noises about encouraging landlords who sell to do so with tenants in situ but very little in the way of concrete proposals

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Anyone buying the house with tenants in situ would then only have to give 2 months notice to move in themselves.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah I guess you're right, but drat that's dark. If you go by the swiss cheese model of accident causation there's not even any cheese left, just a void in space. Capitalism designed and manufactured an industrial strength floor cleaner that is apparently indistinguishable enough from fresh milk that it can be served to multiple people and they will drink it, and many people in the chain had to distribute it alongside fresh milk in a way where they got confused for each other. Just one person in that chain could have stopped it but they were probably all powerless (or uncaring of the consequences).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Whatever law comes in landlords will find a way to abuse it. Looking forward to landlords privately running your right-to-buy mortgage via a bitcoin app, only to boot you out at the last legally allowable moment and confiscate the money because you got blutack on the table or whatever.

Of course you can always take them to court to get your money back if they were in the wrong! What do you mean we slashed legal aid and you're too poor for representation? Shouldn't have been getting uppity and trying to buy a house, should you?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

This is twice what it is currently, so a win, even if a small one.

Eh? No it isn't. Landlords currently have to give two months' notice. Tenants give one.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Runcible Cat posted:

Can't seem to get the Eye of Sauron on Big Ben, alas...

This worked a bit better, still not perfect but hey:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Being able to terminate a lease with notice because you either want to sell the property or use it yourself is hardly unfair.

I mean it is, but at that point you should probably just ban landlording in general.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

This worked a bit better, still not perfect but hey:

I wonder what would happen if you made an AI that transforms everything into gothic architecture, just adds gargoyles, fussy bits, and flying buttresses to everything.

Possibly Games Workshop already has one but hasn't released it to the public.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

People say fashion is cyclical but where are my gargoyles

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The misuse of the “bad apple” analogy is the “literally” of the 2020s

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

Being able to terminate a lease with notice because you either want to sell the property or use it yourself is hardly unfair.

The point being that doing so doesn't require anymore notice than a current Section 21 eviction, which is the thing they are banning. So the ban is a moot point, because they just change the words on the letter and lol goodbye home. If it was rigourously enforced and a few months longer, it would be fine.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Turn off your monitor

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

In that it will, soon, be formally recognised as appropriate use of the term?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Whatever law comes in landlords will find a way to abuse it.

annual fee of £3000 to cover additional wear and tear caused by dog

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

tech gargoyles created by the wonders of startup capital, but it turns out they never perfected the casting process so it's just kids from the Philippines paid to sit on the corners of buildings covered in plaster.

Somehow valued at 52 trillion dollars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I see you are also familiar with socially responsible capitalism, a small child can make many times the normal wage in their country by being paid to sit on my house and gurn at people.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

People have been using "bad apples" to say "throw the baby out with the bathwater" for as long as I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A very confusing and unpleasant bonfire night for all concerned.