Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Robots is a dramatic oversimplification and very carbon-centric terminology.

The PC term is "synthetic life forms."

Who can and will gently caress. And if Kumail Nanjiani shows up as Kamala's synthetic life form grand-dad, I'm cool with that. Especially if he's also somehow playing Jesus like in Bless the Harts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Everyone posted:

Who can and will gently caress. And if Kumail Nanjiani shows up as Kamala's synthetic life form grand-dad, I'm cool with that. Especially if he's also somehow playing Jesus like in Bless the Harts

I don't know if the Eternals ever clarified if they were all sterile or not.

They are technically living beings, but the only one with a kid adopted him. Not sure if that was a coincidence because he was gay or if it is because they are incapable of reproducing.

They do gently caress though. Apparently, very hard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, I think my money is on the bracelet having terrigene stuff in it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Robots is a dramatic oversimplification and very carbon-centric terminology.

The PC term is "synthetic life forms."

In the source material Eternals can't reproduce among themselves but can have offspring with humans. Of course, the source material is about a race war so who knows how close they are sticking to that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit is not post.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lammasu posted:

In the source material Eternals can't reproduce among themselves but can have offspring with humans. Of course, the source material is about a race war so who knows how close they are sticking to that.

Well, in the source material they did produce offspring: Thanos, Eros, and several unnamed others.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

A.o.D. posted:

Well, in the source material they did produce offspring: Thanos, Eros, and several unnamed others.

Yeah, but the Titans were later retconned into being Eternals and weren't part of Kirby's original plan.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Yeah, but the Titans were later retconned into being Eternals and weren't part of Kirby's original plan.

Well, the story has moved way past Kirby. Almost every important Marvel story ever written that doesn't involve the FF or Spiderman is post-Kirby.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is Kamran's mother the same woman as in Kamala's visions? Vision lady looks younger but it's all very quick and the lighting isn't great in the car. Either way Kamran's extremely sus.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
This is the first series im refusing to watch h easter egg breakdown videos, cause I want to keep being surprised.

I tried with Hawkeye but didn't make it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thundercracker posted:

Kamala Kahn and Kamala Harris are actually pronounced differently apparently.

Yea, I asked one of my coworkers who's from India because I am still seeing, after the show came out, "its pronouced Kamala, like Pamela, you racist", entirely from white people. Kamala, as in Kamala Harris means Lotus and it is a Indian/Hindu name, while Kamala, like Kamala Khan means perfection in Urdish. They're spelled the same but are pronounced and mean different things.

The big about Partition and none of the stories from it are good is really true. poo poo was hosed, I'd say way worse than the Bengali famine, because the British were "you want you're own country, sure whatever! We'll just pack up and leave and let all the simmering cultural tensions explode and not do anything to mitigate it!" and then a whole lot of people died. We're totally getting flashbacks to it as the trailers showed very clear shots in India.

Bruno in the comics accepts that Kamala isn't really into him that way, so he actually managed to go and find a girlfriend and that introduces Mike and she's amazing

Man Damage Control are real loving assholes, the only two times they've appeared they're hassling minors. When X-men finally happens we're going to find out they have become the Purifiers or building Sentinels or something. Toombes only hasseled Spider-Man because he was trying to stop him from doing crimes.

kazil posted:

I love the small stuff they do with the lesser characters too.

Aamir used to be a Hot Topic goth and his fiancee is into Bon Jovi.

Yes! I loved that. Kamala's parents has lives before the show and were different people when they were younger! And of course as people from New Jersey they'd love Bon Jovi. I wonder what their opinions of Springsteen is.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If I hadn't already been into this show, the Be My Baby sequence alone would have won me over. Just loving every part of this, and Iman Vellani was such a great find.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’m curious about Kamran because (potentially very big spoilers based on the comic) if he’s like his comic counterpart, he’ll end up being a villain. We still don’t know who the series’ antagonists are gonna be, so I think Kamran and his mother are the most likely culprits. Kamala’s powers in the show share a lot of aesthetic similarity with Kamran’s in the comics, so that’s some classic good/bad guy symmetry that Marvel loves so much. Hopefully the show doesn’t play its hand too quick because Kamran almost immediately reveals himself to be a douche in the comics, and yet Kamala acts like they dated for weeks when she’s heartbroken about it. One thing I love about the MCU is when it manages to play emotional beats better than the comics, and I think they have a good opportunity for it here.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

MokBa posted:

I’m curious about Kamran because (potentially very big spoilers based on the comic) if he’s like his comic counterpart, he’ll end up being a villain. We still don’t know who the series’ antagonists are gonna be, so I think Kamran and his mother are the most likely culprits. Kamala’s powers in the show share a lot of aesthetic similarity with Kamran’s in the comics, so that’s some classic good/bad guy symmetry that Marvel loves so much. Hopefully the show doesn’t play its hand too quick because Kamran almost immediately reveals himself to be a douche in the comics, and yet Kamala acts like they dated for weeks when she’s heartbroken about it. One thing I love about the MCU is when it manages to play emotional beats better than the comics, and I think they have a good opportunity for it here.

That's what I was thinking. And (potential comics and Agents of Shield spoilers) since a bunch the Inhumans he tries to get Kamala to ally with like Gordon where already in Agents of Shield they also may want to avoid that. But if they keep him having powers, I suspect that the guess that the bracelet unlocked something as opposed to gave the powers to her means they might keep the Inhuman origin if not by name.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mentioning Agents of Shield makes me with Quake would show up, she plays a role in those animated movies that feature younger heroes that would fit as a contrast with DC which just is the worst.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Speaking of Bruno, what exactly is his living situation? I heard Kamala say he doesn’t have a lot of family around, but as far as I can tell he’s living like an above ground Ninja Turtle.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Marsupial Ape posted:

Speaking of Bruno, what exactly is his living situation? I heard Kamala say he doesn’t have a lot of family around, but as far as I can tell he’s living like an above ground Ninja Turtle.

He lives above the convenience store where he works. You can see him going up there around 19:00 in the first episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bruno seems like someone who lives with a single father who probably works nights or something so they don't really see each other.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Bruno in this show and on the comics I was kind of meh on him.

I think he's just acting like a normal teenager who has a crush on his friend but doesn't know how to deal with it. And Kamala has shown hints of the same as well.

If they were adults it would be different, but they're teenagers.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Man Damage Control are real loving assholes, the only two times they've appeared they're hassling minors. When X-men finally happens we're going to find out they have become the Purifiers or building Sentinels or something. Toombes only hasseled Spider-Man because he was trying to stop him from doing crimes.

They're also why Vulture broke bad.

I'm curious where they're going with the friend's election storyline. It's a six episode season and Marvel has a bad habit with filler in the shows.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I know they can't/won't do it for budget reasons, but in the comics, Bruno doesn't get a scholarship to go to Caltech, he gets one for the university of Wakanda.
Then again, this happens much later in the story when things are more settled between him and Kamala, so who knows? Some nice cross-promotion opportunities there at any rate.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Marsupial Ape posted:

Comic-Bruno lives with his grandmother after she won custody of him from his parents in events he doesn’t like to talk about. She’s only been referenced once in the show (she’s the “Nonny” Kamala’s mom made a spicy curry for in ep1)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If Ms. Marvel can keep this quality for the whole season, it's definitely going to be one of the best MCU properties.

Parkingtigers posted:

This is the best thing Marvel has ever done and it's not even close. I like nearly all the MCU stuff, and love a ton of it, but this is just a whole new level FOURTEEN YEARS IN that I'm almost mad we haven't had this kind of creativity and style before now.

Ike Perlmutter was an old racist misogynist who believed anything other than cis straight white men was a niche product that wouldn't sell, and personally worked for years to block any kind of inclusive projects in the MCU. He replaced Terrance Howard with Don Cheadle after a pay dispute because he figured nobody can tell black guys apart anyway. He only allowed Feige to do Captain Marvel and Black Panther in exchange for also doing Inhumans as an attempt to compete with Fox's X-Men series.

From what I understand, Feige threatened to quit Marvel unless Perlmutter was taken care of. Disney pulled Perlmutter from his position in the MCU and gave Feige ultimate control, after which the franchise immediately began putting every single character Perlmutter would have hated into shows and movies. The sudden increase in diversity and creativity in the MCU is a direct result of Perlmutter not having a say in it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That is also my understanding.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how the show is respectful of Islam, but also points out it has lovely aspects to it as well. Also it shows the diversity of it, you see a good variety of backgrounds, not everyone is Pakistani, but you see African muslims and some that are probably Persian/Iranian? I think Nakia's talk about being too white for some people but too ethnic for others may have set some people off because i certainly heard people saying they completely ruined her character. I figure she's just saying that one of her parents is ethnically muslim and the other is white, and she takes more after that white parent, but she identifies with her islamic culture more.

live with fruit posted:

They're also why Vulture broke bad.

I'm curious where they're going with the friend's election storyline. It's a six episode season and Marvel has a bad habit with filler in the shows.

I want to see Carol or some other adult hero show up and be all "What the gently caress are you doing?" at DC because they are utter bastards. I do like how they never let anyone have a lawyer, or is it because they just arrest kids who don't know their rights? I love MJ just stonewalling them in no way home, because yea, you don't talk to the cops. gently caress em, wait until your lawyer gets there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I like how the show is respectful of Islam, but also points out it has lovely aspects to it as well. Also it shows the diversity of it, you see a good variety of backgrounds, not everyone is Pakistani, but you see African muslims and some that are probably Persian/Iranian? I think Nakia's talk about being too white for some people but too ethnic for others may have set some people off because i certainly heard people saying they completely ruined her character. I figure she's just saying that one of her parents is ethnically muslim and the other is white, and she takes more after that white parent, but she identifies with her islamic culture more.

Nakia talking about how her father basically started freezing her out after she hit puberty rang so very true for me, even though I'm not Muslim. She's grown up and isn't daddy's little girl anymore, and daddy doesn't know how to handle it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I want to see Carol or some other adult hero show up and be all "What the gently caress are you doing?" at DC because they are utter bastards. I do like how they never let anyone have a lawyer, or is it because they just arrest kids who don't know their rights? I love MJ just stonewalling them in no way home, because yea, you don't talk to the cops. gently caress em, wait until your lawyer gets there.

It's a natural extension of the Sokovia Accords.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I liked this episode better than the first but I was probably just in a better mood because I had a better beer

the looks alone that Kamala was giving Kamran in the car probably account for a significant total % of Romance/Sexuality in the MCU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cythereal posted:

Nakia talking about how her father basically started freezing her out after she hit puberty rang so very true for me, even though I'm not Muslim. She's grown up and isn't daddy's little girl anymore, and daddy doesn't know how to handle it.

Yea, and it was a good contrast with Kamala's parents who are actually pretty cool even if a bit over protective. I think Her mom letting her go to Zoe's place and putting reasonable limits on it was a good show of growth over her mother. The old "the more you tighten your grip the more they slip away" kind of thing. This is Nakia, the Muslim girl who is also hot and cool and seems like she has it all together, but doesn't really. That's her character from the comic, i really don't understand why that one critic hated her portrayal on the show. Did they just hear the line "too white" and stop listening?

I also loved her brothers finance was still a black Muslim, I thinks he was Somali in the comics? She doesn't wear the full garb but I think its also part of the softening of the character like they did with her brother.

live with fruit posted:

It's a natural extension of the Sokovia Accords.

Stark is dead, so should they.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was really worried about Ms. Marvel, really wanted this to be a good show, and so far I have been very happy. These first two episodes are really promising.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if Damage Control will be the antagonist in Armor Wars. They're already using Stark drones.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I appreciated that Zoe wasn't/isn't just a one note mean girl trope either. Her locking up and shutting down in interrogation after falling for DC's flattery made me feel bad. She just wants followers and she's suddenly in a real situation (as real as the MCU gets, anyway) and turns back into a scared teenager who still senses something is going wrong.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I guess this is the Disney+ comedy series Cretton was doing?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1537512083251765256

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From a quick google, Wonder Man looks like 'hot mess bisexual Superman.' Sure, I'm on board.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cythereal posted:

From a quick google, Wonder Man looks like 'hot mess bisexual Superman.' Sure, I'm on board.

Can Anthony Starr double dip as WonderMan and Homelander?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Can Anthony Starr double dip as WonderMan and Homelander?

Honestly I think after Peacemaker, John Cena could pull it off better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm surprised that they're doing Wonder Man, because Kingo is just desi Wonder Man.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cythereal posted:

I followed the Wonder Man comic in the early 90s. He fought a woman that was turned into a hulk from gamma radiation PMS treatments.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Cretton was going to be going on to do the Xialing/Ten Rings show that was rumoured. Maybe it'll be the same thing?

Also on Stark, I was kind of surprised that they didn't say Bruno won "the Stark Memorial internship" or something. Guy is basically powerless Peter Parker, why not play that up a little more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If they follow the comics for Bruno, he ends up going to ___________Wakanda____________ to study, which I think would be even better.