Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Kicked Throat posted:

but i like parking on hennepin when i go to the restaurants.
oh do you live around here?
28th and fremont.
i have to just glare at him.

lol has this guy ever actually tried to park on Hennepin? Total poo poo show. I used to live in an apartment on 26th and Emerson with a parking lot in the ALLEY, was much nicer to walk than trying to find parking around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the area being referred to (uptown), is one of the few parts of the city where you could very reasonably live without a car though. just about every kind of business is right on hennepin or within a few blocks, and hennepin going north goes through downtown and then NE (which is the main "art" area). the city council meeting is actually happening right now, and whether or not to approve the 24/7 bus lanes on hennepin is on the agenda. likely to pass, but hopefully with a veto proof majority.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i had to look it up and, like every other hip american suburban restaurant, it's basically just an upscale applebees

Once you realize that the vast majority of "nice" restaurants in America all buy the same poo poo off a Sysco truck in boil-in bags and they just combine them in different ways, it's easy to stop giving a poo poo about eating out. Haven't stepped foot in a restaurant in over two years and there may only be one or two places I can think of that I miss.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/tomflood1/status/1537417369492111360

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Once you realize that the vast majority of "nice" restaurants in America all buy the same poo poo off a Sysco truck in boil-in bags and they just combine them in different ways, it's easy to stop giving a poo poo about eating out. Haven't stepped foot in a restaurant in over two years and there may only be one or two places I can think of that I miss.

agreed re: nice restaurants, but idk if i could ever give up unfussy local places. having bangin' tibetan food only a ten minute walk from our apartment is something i really miss about toronto. vancouver is more like the part of america i grew up in, where all these places get relegated to strip malls that are annoying to get to if you don't have a car

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

actionjackson posted:

the area being referred to (uptown), is one of the few parts of the city where you could very reasonably live without a car though. just about every kind of business is right on hennepin or within a few blocks, and hennepin going north goes through downtown and then NE (which is the main "art" area). the city council meeting is actually happening right now, and whether or not to approve the 24/7 bus lanes on hennepin is on the agenda. likely to pass, but hopefully with a veto proof majority.

When I lived in uptown and had a WFH job I sometimes went weeks without driving, it was great.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
cost me $70 to fill up my tank don't make the same mistake i did bros just buy the stupid e-bike

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

When I stop at Sheetz I like to see what the pumps are stopped at and laugh

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

mortons stork posted:

they need to do way instain cooks, who hit thier cars because these cars can't frigth back?? it was on the news this mroing

(i'm so sorry, that's all i could think of when i saw the quote)

my pary are with the driver who lost his wnidscreen

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

cost me $70 to fill up my tank don't make the same mistake i did bros just buy the stupid e-bike

costs me £4.25 in fuel alone to commute every day. I started cycling and found that because of the much more direct route (it's half the mileage) it only takes about 10 minutes longer. looking forward to being richer and less fat, until i've saved enough money for an ebike then i can get fat again

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

actionjackson posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1537507217867513856

passed, not veto proof though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
bought a new bike :)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

a_pineapple posted:

neighborhood dumpsters though, I suppose that would require americans to actually participate in their community and use a communal dumpster/recycling.... which they'd just be like COMMUNISM and reject immediately

its really funny because I grew up in a small town in Indiana with communal trash and recycling. You have to drive but its meant to serve the town and rural community together and its actually rather convenient. Only problem is since it's upscaled for a town they have it out on the outskirts so people don't bitch about the smell.

It's literally a bunch of dumpsters in a gravel lot but it was so weird to live in a dark red part of a red state that had designated sorting for Glass, Plastic, Cardboard, Newspapers, Tin, and even Motor Oil and Antifreeze:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Peanut President posted:

its really funny because I grew up in a small town in Indiana with communal trash and recycling. You have to drive but its meant to serve the town and rural community together and its actually rather convenient. Only problem is since it's upscaled for a town they have it out on the outskirts so people don't bitch about the smell.

It's literally a bunch of dumpsters in a gravel lot but it was so weird to live in a dark red part of a red state that had designated sorting for Glass, Plastic, Cardboard, Newspapers, Tin, and even Motor Oil and Antifreeze:
It's just about the cost. Door to door garbage pickup is far more expensive. Maybe $10/month per resident vs the nickel per resident for a dumpster. The recycling dumpsters are even cheaper.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i hate to say it but... the aventon ebikes are NOT BAD

org I work at have been renting them out every day to tourists and not only are they a great money maker for us they actually work and dont gently caress up

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Peanut President posted:

i used one of those in oklahoma, but every time i was there some random person would tell me that this all went to the landfill anyway

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

my pary are with the driver who lost his wnidscreen

i am truley sorry for your parking lots

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Peanut President posted:

The city of Lubbock TX provides each house with a big fuckin dumpster in the alley. There are communal recycling bins but the nearest one from my poor neighborhood is 2 miles away and doesn't accept cardboard or glass. It's like they want to actively discourage recycling

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

this is a mixed bag bc it pretty much necessitates everyone owning a pickup (to haul your refuse to the dump)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

i hate to say it but... the aventon ebikes are NOT BAD

org I work at have been renting them out every day to tourists and not only are they a great money maker for us they actually work and dont gently caress up

i have a friend who speaks highly of rad power bikes as well. other than that, my assumption with every ebike brand is that they're like a startup in austin who bought a bunch of cheap motors off aliexpress and have rebranded themselves like 8x already.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

this is a mixed bag bc it pretty much necessitates everyone owning a pickup (to haul your refuse to the dump)
it’s Indiana everyone already owns one

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfy posted:

it’s Indiana everyone already owns one

sure, but if that model spread to cities/suburbs like i think people were advocating

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Rauros posted:

i used one of those in oklahoma, but every time i was there some random person would tell me that this all went to the landfill anyway

Sort of. Landfills charge different fees depending on the waste. Some landfills won't accept certain kinds of waste too. Maybe your town isn't recycling the paper waste, but that paper is a lot easier to deal with than random general garbage that might catch on fire because someone chucked a propane tank in there.

Or maybe the landfill is just chucking everything into one big pile and it all catches on fire constantly. It's one big pile of oily paper and sparks. I don't know.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

bought a new bike :)

what bike u get

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sure, but if that model spread to cities/suburbs like i think people were advocating

The urban equivalent is to have local ones - I've never lived somewhere which both had these and that they were more than 100m away. It's meant to be convenient, hygienic, and cheap to operate.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what bike u get

Giant Escape 3, I will post pics after I pick it up from the bike store

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

lmao just saw a car wreck while out walking dog. get rekt car drivers.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a_pineapple posted:

lmao just saw a car wreck while out walking dog. get rekt car drivers.

owned. lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

car brain colonizer bullshit from June 1 I just learned of

https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-media/inslee-rescinds-two-proclamations-related-covid-19

quote:

Gov. Jay Inslee today announced the rescission of two COVID-19 emergency orders that are no longer needed to respond to the pandemic.

Proclamation 20-56 waived/suspended a statute and certain provisions in agreements between the governor and tribes that restrict the use of fuel tax refund monies to transportation-related purposes.

To foster a smooth transition, the rescission of this order will take effect in 30 days, on July 1, 2022.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
E: wrong thread

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DavidWalsh_M/status/1537791764014284800?t=m2Adif5shLU_p3tlms9sCA&s=19

Apparently, pedestrianisation means people don't get killed by cars...and that's a bad thing. They'll be saying that road traffic breeds sharp reflexes and alertness next!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Crosspostin

someone shot a ford dealership up by me wth an automatic weapon, i saw it thought to myself "only in america :911:"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BalloonFish posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidWalsh_M/status/1537791764014284800?t=m2Adif5shLU_p3tlms9sCA&s=19

Apparently, pedestrianisation means people don't get killed by cars...and that's a bad thing. They'll be saying that road traffic breeds sharp reflexes and alertness next!

whatever happened to the greater good?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mawarannahr posted:

whatever happened to the greater good?

Thatcher

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BalloonFish posted:

He says this like it's a bad thing?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

making the foolish assumption that he isn't being paid off by the auto industry...I don't get it? is he really just terrified of walking?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
What a wonderful morning walking to the bike store to pick up my new bike and then riding it home!!

Bikes!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

cool av posted:

making the foolish assumption that he isn't being paid off by the auto industry...I don't get it? is he really just terrified of walking?
conservatives don't enjoy doing cool poo poo like crackin coldies in public

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wolfy posted:

conservatives don't enjoy doing cool poo poo like crackin coldies in public

coldies lol. east coast blue law bitch. puritan rear end mf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
going to the bar to buy a 12 of "cold beer" like this is some extravagance. gently caress sakes.