Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm the part of the presentation where he says "the most amazing skill system that is the BEST ELEMENTS of all our previous games" or whatever and right there on the screen you can see:

Ballistic Weapons + 10% dmg -----> Ballistic Weapons +20% dmg -----> Ballistic Weapons +30% dmg ----> Ballistic Weapons moar range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
TheNamedSavior, rapid fire smugness and banal responses, extremely upset people aren't jerking off immediately to Starfield.... Todd Howard account?!?! :tinfoil:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I actually watched that IGN update / interview and people left out the most important part in the bullet point summary? The ship combat, according to Todd, is based on Mechwarrior, with system management etc?! That actually gets me kinda excited, i know ill be disappointed because Todd is always a disappointment, but mechwarrior mixed with spaceships sound rad as hell, and the limited space combat we've seen doesn't look outright bad.

Also he mentioned you can board ships, aggressively or otherwose and they actually showed it in the original video which i missed which sounds pretty rad.

Can you target / destroy individual subsystem's did anybody notice that? One would hope if hes comparing it to Mechwarrior and that's effectively been a thing in all the fallout games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've warmed up a bit more to Starfield since all of the details started coming out about it this week. The initial gameplay reveal was weak, but once Todd started talking about how the game will actually play and what is in it, I am back to being excited again.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I said come in! posted:

I've warmed up a bit more to Starfield since all of the details started coming out about it this week. The initial gameplay reveal was weak, but once Todd started talking about how the game will actually play and what is in it, I am back to being excited again.

Ya basically this. I think the ship stuff is gonna make or break the game so heres hoping they do it right, tbh it was the strongest part of the original reveal so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I hope the ship building stuff is at least as good as the other Microsoft game that had the feature, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Basically fantasy developing here but with a thousand procgen planets a great feature would be to upload your settlement and have it show up on some of the barren rocks in someone else’s game.

Showing off settlements was the one good part of FO76

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mr. Crow posted:

So I actually watched that IGN update / interview and people left out the most important part in the bullet point summary? The ship combat, according to Todd, is based on Mechwarrior, with system management etc?! That actually gets me kinda excited, i know ill be disappointed because Todd is always a disappointment, but mechwarrior mixed with spaceships sound rad as hell, and the limited space combat we've seen doesn't look outright bad.

I was under the impression that the Mechwarrior comment was to explain why the ship movement is so slow and lumbering? But still seemed like it could be good, made it look like the ship had actual weight.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheSwizzler posted:

Basically fantasy developing here but with a thousand procgen planets a great feature would be to upload your settlement and have it show up on some of the barren rocks in someone else’s game.

Ah yes Spore 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I would be very surprised if the planets and procgen weren't dynamically generated when you enter/leave an area. Said another way i dont think you could fly/run around the planet. Itll just end up saving any region you land at and/or mark or build at and the rest will be random. Knowing bethesda thatll be the first memory / space leak as you save to many locations on a world.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

John F Bennett posted:

I was under the impression that the Mechwarrior comment was to explain why the ship movement is so slow and lumbering? But still seemed like it could be good, made it look like the ship had actual weight.

He specifically mentioned it in context of "managing systems, like power distribution" so hoping its more tactile.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The FastTravelHater logging on here, and let me tell you just how many real hours in my actual mortal life I'm going to waste invest in flying through space and listening to smooth jazz like I'm on the Bebop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheSwizzler posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey has an awesome feature where you can create your own quests and then upload them and everyone can play them. I really hope your idea gets in there too.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I would like to see an animal crossing system in Starfield. I am a queen of decorating Skyrim houses and placing stuff at the perfect angle before it gets physics enabled and shoots through the roof and causes the whole house to explode.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Mr. Crow posted:

He specifically mentioned it in context of "managing systems, like power distribution" so hoping its more tactile.

you can see in the bottom left when flying a ship there is a power management thing where you can distribute energy between laser weapons, ballistic weapons, missiles, engine, shields and the grav drive

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Star Wars Squadrons did the bare-bones version of that recently. Guessing we'll see the same here.

Call me stupid all you want but I look forward to Starfield and was legit bummed when hearing it was delayed to next year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The ship in the recent gameplay trailer reminds me of Prometheus

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CLAM DOWN posted:

The ship in the recent gameplay trailer reminds me of Prometheus

There is definitely some inspiration from that whole aliens series here, with the retro tech vibe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr. Crow posted:

I would be very surprised if the planets and procgen weren't dynamically generated when you enter/leave an area. Said another way i dont think you could fly/run around the planet. Itll just end up saving any region you land at and/or mark or build at and the rest will be random. Knowing bethesda thatll be the first memory / space leak as you save to many locations on a world.

The way I see it, all planets (both pregen and procgen) will comprise of a single zone- story planets will comprise of a single hub, while procgen planets will have a single landable cell, and for both, exiting said hub or cell will throw a player into the 'exiting planet' load screen. No matter where you begin entry on the world, you'll always enter a loading screen followed by landing at the same zone every time. Enter Quackulon 5 at its northern pole? Landing Zone A. Land on the equator? Landing Zone A, and so on, that kind of thing. Otherwise, what's to stop me from say, making a colony right next to a supposed story hub and then flying off to find that it's all smoke and mirrors? What's to stop me from making a thousand haggard colonies on a single world, then repeating the process on other planets until I'm killed by an exploding computer? I don't really see how they could do otherwise while still remaining realistic.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

The way I see it, all planets (both pregen and procgen) will comprise of a single zone- story planets will comprise of a single hub, while procgen planets will have a single landable cell, and for both, exiting said hub or cell will throw a player into the 'exiting planet' load screen. No matter where you begin entry on the world, you'll always enter a loading screen followed by landing at the same zone every time. Enter Quackulon 5 at its northern pole? Landing Zone A. Land on the equator? Landing Zone A, and so on, that kind of thing.

It think your right in that it will just be a procgen cell style map you will land in but whats to stop them generating one for each world co-ordinate you can land on?

Say you can land on 1000 points on any particular planet, all the game will need to do is generate a unique procgen square for that world co-ord, since the seed number used in the proc-gen algorithm is the same each time for that world then the result would be the same each time. So its not randomly generated.

This would be a much simpler system than is already being used in games like NMS or Elite Dangerous, so is very doabale.

quote:

Otherwise, what's to stop me from say, making a colony right next to a supposed story hub and then flying off to find that it's all smoke and mirrors? What's to stop me from making a thousand haggard colonies on a single world, then repeating the process on other planets until I'm killed by an exploding computer? I don't really see how they could do otherwise while still remaining realistic.

I imagine that you will be limited by the resources available to you, plus from the look of the base building footage we say that there seemed to be a maximum radius, from what I assume is the base hub module, in which you can build.

The game only really needs to store to type and location of each module or part you build so storing that it trivial, its doesnt need to be active the who time the game is playing, only generated when you land on that map cell, so this wouldnt "make your computer explode".

Again Fallout 4 had a large seamless surface map that allowed you to build some very complex structures, it doesnt look like thats the case here. So again that sound MORE complex to do that what Starfield's is trying to pull off.

The only other thing to consider is that your bases will generate things for you like they did in Fallout 4, but again all they need to know is how long it takes to produce X.

You the game knows to tell you that Base X has researched your handwavium device in 1 hour or whatever.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know if it was the interview or the gameplay trailer, but Todd did make note that you can land anywhere on any planet. Taking him at his word at least, but it should at least imply that each planet is more than a single cell.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Honestly, they've talked about returning to some previously dropped conventions that they now feel are more broadly accepted, and they explicitly cited backgrounds, skills, etc. But maybe all Daggerfall style Big World.
It really could be a No Man's Sky style world, with one bespoke site, three rather generic modular sites, and then if you want to just Start Walking you'll encounter radiant stuff. And, you know what? I'm hear for that. There's a background to start with a house on a "small moon" and I'm hoping it can still be a sizable backwoods I can explore, not small like something from Outer Wilds.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

In the interview he mentions something about how when you're working at a true planetary scale there's not much functional difference between something that big and infinite, which I took to mean that you just get an infinitely generating procedural landscape that keeps generating as you move through it.

If they need to there'll be limits like you run out of oxygen if you go to far from your ship or something like that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I think the planets will use good enough smoke and mirrors for 99% of players except crazy people who will try and circumvent every planet to prove it's just a video game or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1glitch0 posted:

I think the planets will use good enough smoke and mirrors for 99% of players except crazy people who will try and circumvent every planet to prove it's just a video game or something.

Todd Howard is trying to fool us into thinking Starfield is not a video game and I won't let him get away with it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

The easiest test is probably going to be landing outside of but relatively close to a city to see if you can walk to it but I'd guess that's not possible.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

1glitch0 posted:

My money's on planet surfaces being toroidal maps, which would cause absolutely hilarious tantrums and very angry posts on reddit by some angry dude who feels personally betrayed by Todd Howard when he's being denied exploring planetary north poles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Star Wars Squadrons did the bare-bones version of that recently. Guessing we'll see the same here.

Call me stupid all you want but I look forward to Starfield and was legit bummed when hearing it was delayed to next year.

Nah, Starfield so far looks really great and I am excited as heck for it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm excited, but remember to actually look at what Bethesda is saying and don't trust other people's summaries and speculation.

That where you get into poo poo like.

Todd : Downtown Boston isn't broken up into separate maps like DC was. It's open and you can walk around without going through tunnels and loading screens.

Some Shithead : BETHESDA SAYS THERE ARE NO LOADING SCREENS IN FALLOUT 4!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

yeah i'm very much operating on the assumption that if it wasn't shown it's probably not in the game

extrapolating too much from what we have is just setting up for disappointment

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, it's always amazing what conclusions get drawn from a ~15 minute hand-picked game trailer (which didn't even look that great in this case)

i'm generally looking forward to starfield just because it's a big bethesda game and they're usually fun sandbox rpgs, but not because i assume i know what the gameplay will be like. i didn't love fallout 4 or even skyrim, but they were still fun enough for what they were and i liked them enough to dump 100 hours in and finish the game. this time it's in space with a bunch of planets. will that be better? who knows!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Read that the head quest designer was the guy who did Far Harbor. I thought that was a really good dlc so that gives me some hope that the writing might be ok.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I wonder if they're putting in silly stuff like card games or those little Flash mini games in FO4.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has a whole pool table system.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The quest design lead William Shen also wrote that quest with the love letter in skyrim; the deepest, most multi-faceted quest in the whole game. just kidding my bubby.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Excited by the Mech Warrior dogfights. I'm not a fan of twitchy flying where you get a couple shots in as you fly past each other, do a 180, get a couple more shots in, repeat.
I liked when they kicked in the grav jets and lurched forward a bit.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
hoping we can attach weapon systems to whatever this game's version of power armour is gonna be called. maybe a missile rack or some kind of shoulder mounted air burst mortar would rock.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

The easiest test is probably going to be landing outside of but relatively close to a city to see if you can walk to it but I'd guess that's not possible.

why not? handcrafted areas on an otherwise procedural planet that is all one area is perfectly doable, elite did it with the engineer bases.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

marktheando posted:

why not? handcrafted areas on an otherwise procedural planet that is all one area is perfectly doable, elite did it with the engineer bases.

because i think that would imply that the world generation maps onto a fully contiguous sphere, and that you could theoretically walk around the entire world and eventually come to the settlement from the other direction

but i think todd was implying in that interview that when you land, the game generates an infinite procedural landscape for you to wander around in, which would have to mean that every landing coordinate is its own isolated cell

basically every time you land somewhere not handcrafted the game just generates a new minecraft world for you to wander around in

that's my guess anyway, could absolutely be completely wrong here, but this feels like the easiest technical solution for what they're going for

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding ship combat, my personal hope is to abandon the cockpit and rush to a buble turret, like in the millennium falcon.

I want to fly a rickety old cargo hauler and treat combat like a regrettable hazard of being a star trucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

because i think that would imply that the world generation maps onto a fully contiguous sphere, and that you could theoretically walk around the entire world and eventually come to the settlement from the other direction

but i think todd was implying in that interview that when you land, the game generates an infinite procedural landscape for you to wander around in, which would have to mean that every landing coordinate is its own isolated cell

basically every time you land somewhere not handcrafted the game just generates a new minecraft world for you to wander around in

that's my guess anyway, could absolutely be completely wrong here, but this feels like the easiest technical solution for what they're going for

i'd be very surprised if the procgen was like that, would be a big step back from No Man's Sky and Elite, even from Bethesda's own Daggerfall back in the day which had a procgen world with some handcrafted areas, and that was the same world for everyone.

and elite and nms you absolutely can walk around an entire planet and return to the same point.