Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My memory of what I've experienced with a character is most of what I need. Plus I don't usually have a good image in my head of how any of them look, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
as an artist I am quite glad that people want art of their characters, personally

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

An art can do a lot to anchor a character concept. Costume, the movement and energy in the picture, even the character's expression/mood, can give players things to inspire their RP, make their portrayal more consistent, or just help them maintain interest in their own and others' characters. I think it's especially helpful for others at the table to picture who they're talking to and RP better if they can look at an artwork depicting that PC.

Artwork does a ton to help sell RPG products, too; illustrations stimulate the imagination. It's not necessarily required for everyone, but it's just one of several ways we enhance our experience. It's not that different from a GM playing some mood-appropriate music during a scene, or for that matter, drawing a map while you adventure.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've not commissioned art but I've definitely considered it. Like if even one other person in my regular roll20 group did it I'd be right there behind them. I just don't want to be the only person without a hastily googled image of my character.

I played a character once in a cyberpunkesque world who was forced to look like various popstars by an unwanted implant and I would frequently change which pop star image I was using and that was well received by the group.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

An art can do a lot to anchor a character concept. Costume, the movement and energy in the picture, even the character's expression/mood, can give players things to inspire their RP, make their portrayal more consistent, or just help them maintain interest in their own and others' characters. I think it's especially helpful for others at the table to picture who they're talking to and RP better if they can look at an artwork depicting that PC.

Artwork does a ton to help sell RPG products, too; illustrations stimulate the imagination. It's not necessarily required for everyone, but it's just one of several ways we enhance our experience. It's not that different from a GM playing some mood-appropriate music during a scene, or for that matter, drawing a map while you adventure.

Music I've honestly found more distracting that mood-setting in play, although that might be because of how I've only played online the past few years and the music bots don't really work well with Discord's voice chat.

Drawing a map while adventuring is different, in my opinion, because that presents important spatial information that is otherwise hard to convey. I used to do that a lot in person, and it's one of my frustrations with online that it's technically difficult to do, and even if you do do it, everyone's expectations of a map when they're online is to the point where it's best to spend some time doing it offline (which means I can't just improvise it in play and flesh it out as it goes).

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
You should absolutely 100% commission artwork of a favorite character. Or, preferably, a group portrait of the whole party. Pay an artist what they're worth, they'll be happy for the work.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've commissioned character art and art of myself, but never both, since I'm not an influencer or whatever, no need for my character to look like me just to reinforce the branding. Either way is fun! Great to pump money into the artist ecosystem.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Froghammer posted:

You should absolutely 100% commission artwork of a favorite character. Or, preferably, a group portrait of the whole party. Pay an artist what they're worth, they'll be happy for the work.

I mean, depends on what people want to do. I know this is the industry thread but not everything about your experience needs to be commercialized. You can do your own amateur portrait that's fun for you rather than get a pro to do it, and shouldn't feel guilty you're stealing food from the mouths of starving artists. If you want a portrait at all, which I personally don't. :shrug:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I don't think paying some twitter artist with 5k followers $50 for a character portrait is "commercializing" the experience.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

admanb posted:

I don't think paying some twitter artist with 5k followers $50 for a character portrait is "commercializing" the experience.

How is "exchanging money for goods and services" not commercializing the experience of getting a character portrait?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This reminds me I never got around to updating my token on roll20 with the cool portrait I got of my dwarf, but he was pretty much a 50 year old Cuban guy anyway

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Patronizing an artist you like to receive cool art of your character is not the same as commercializing the experience, unless you're using the word so broadly that it doesn't matter, you've already commercialized the experience by paying for the game and the dice.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How is "exchanging money for goods and services" not commercializing the experience of getting a character portrait?
...do you not have art in your house? Art costs money. Directly commissioning art from artists usually ends up being way cheaper than buying random prints from wherever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Froghammer posted:

Directly commissioning art from artists usually ends up being way cheaper than buying random prints from wherever.

uhhhhh???

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Froghammer posted:

...do you not have art in your house? Art costs money. Directly commissioning art from artists usually ends up being way cheaper than buying random prints from wherever.

better? usually!

cheaper? almost never

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tsilkani posted:

Patronizing an artist you like to receive cool art of your character is not the same as commercializing the experience, unless you're using the word so broadly that it doesn't matter, you've already commercialized the experience by paying for the game and the dice.

That's paying for a specific contractor to do some work for you. They happen to do art.

And yeah, getting dice and rulebooks is a commercial part of the gaming experience. That doesn't force you to keep on throwing money at other aspects at it so artists don't starve or whatever.

Froghammer posted:

This is really irrelevant to the point I'm making here. Yeah, paying people for certain things is cheaper than doing it other ways. It's still paying a stranger for a service rather than doing something yourself or going to a friend and having that done as part of a not inherently commercialized aspect of the hobby. It's not required to make everything about the hobby commercial.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's okay both to spend money or not to spend money on your hobbies. I don't particularly desire a character pottait myself but if other people do that's neat too. Who cares if they go to a friend, do it themselves or pay an artist to do it?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's paying for a specific contractor to do some work for you. They happen to do art.

And yeah, getting dice and rulebooks is a commercial part of the gaming experience. That doesn't force you to keep on throwing money at other aspects at it so artists don't starve or whatever.

This is really irrelevant to the point I'm making here. Yeah, paying people for certain things is cheaper than doing it other ways. It's still paying a stranger for a service rather than doing something yourself or going to a friend and having that done as part of a not inherently commercialized aspect of the hobby. It's not required to make everything about the hobby commercial.

well I can't draw and my friends who can are broke, so asking them to do 2-4 hours of work gratis is kind of a hosed-up thing to do. So hopefully I never want art of an RPG character or I'll offend your delicate sensibilities about what is and isn't an appropriate exchange of money for services in this hobby.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

admanb posted:

well I can't draw and my friends who can are broke, so asking them to do 2-4 hours of work gratis is kind of a hosed-up thing to do.
Then don't do it.

quote:

So hopefully I never want art of an RPG character or I'll offend your delicate sensibilities about what is and isn't an appropriate exchange of money for services in this hobby.
I have none of these delicate sensibilities you're imagining I have to offend. Do what you want. :shrug:

Edit: vvv Exactly. Thank you.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 16, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

admanb posted:

well I can't draw and my friends who can are broke, so asking them to do 2-4 hours of work gratis is kind of a hosed-up thing to do. So hopefully I never want art of an RPG character or I'll offend your delicate sensibilities about what is and isn't an appropriate exchange of money for services in this hobby.

They were responding to the "You should absolutely 100% commission artwork of a favorite character." which is a silly statement on its face and no different from someone saying "you should absolutely 100% buy fancy bespoke dice." There's nothing wrong with doing either, but there's absolutely no requirement that you do either to enjoy the hobby fully.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I mostly use picrew and picrew's ilk for characters; there are some really nice ones nowadays. But supporting artists (actually paying them) is cool too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Bottom Liner posted:

They were responding to the "You should absolutely 100% commission artwork of a favorite character." which is a silly statement on its face and no different from someone saying "you should absolutely 100% buy fancy bespoke dice." There's nothing wrong with doing either, but there's absolutely no requirement that you do either to enjoy the hobby fully.

i mean i think that sounds like a bad faith reading of something that is clearly not intended to be a universal prescription but is in fact patently obviously hyperbolic enthusiasm for the idea but I mean w/e really

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

neongrey posted:

i mean i think that sounds like a bad faith reading of something that is clearly not intended to be a universal prescription but is in fact patently obviously hyperbolic enthusiasm for the idea but I mean w/e really

:yeah:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Froghammer posted:

Not really, especially if you want to put it into a frame. I mean, like, I don't have regrets on my end here, but integrated cost was definitely uhhh comparable.

I wonder if some kind of commissioning/commissioned art thread would be useful as a resource. We may have this lurking somewhere already...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nessus posted:

I wonder if some kind of commissioning/commissioned art thread would be useful as a resource. We may have this lurking somewhere already...

There's one in CC, obviously not TTRPG-specific, and also not very active.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Question, is, say, ordering takeout for game night also commercializing the experience? Is getting casual clothes that are a bit nicer than what I usually wear because I want to look good in front of my friends commercializing the experience?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I went to my favorite artist for a character piece for an AP I was going to be in, even though no one was ever going to see it, just because I really liked the character and I wanted it to help me visualize what I was doing. I can't draw anything more complicated than rectangle people with L's for legs so it made sense to me, and check out how cool she came out! Personally I tend to find those "This is commercializing the hobby" posts I see on twitter and so on about things like art commissions or paid GMing or whatever silly. They're basically just "I have decided which things spending money on do and don't count as commercialization." My favorite example was when people were just incredibly pissed about Sentinels the card game getting a second edition. Like, lots of stuff gets second editions. People yelling about it probably aren't still using AD&D from the 70s.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the posts in the last page or so have laid out several great reasons to get (by paying or otherwise) artwork of your character(s) and of course there are reasons not to including money and preference, but actually fighting about it is really stupid. AA it's fine you don't want to buy art of your characters, it's fine that other people do, and there's not one thing wrong with either decision.

There's no need to denigrate it by implying it's crass commercialization or on the other hand implying someone's being a cheapskate or missing out on an essential part of gaming etc. etc. The original question was: is this common? And the answer is yes, it's common.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Zaius posted:

Question, is, say, ordering takeout for game night also commercializing the experience? Is getting casual clothes that are a bit nicer than what I usually wear because I want to look good in front of my friends commercializing the experience?

theironjef posted:

I went to my favorite artist for a character piece for an AP I was going to be in, even though no one was ever going to see it, just because I really liked the character and I wanted it to help me visualize what I was doing. I can't draw anything more complicated than rectangle people with L's for legs so it made sense to me, and check out how cool she came out! Personally I tend to find those "This is commercializing the hobby" posts I see on twitter and so on about things like art commissions or paid GMing or whatever silly. They're basically just "I have decided which things spending money on do and don't count as commercialization." My favorite example was when people were just incredibly pissed about Sentinels the card game getting a second edition. Like, lots of stuff gets second editions. People yelling about it probably aren't still using AD&D from the 70s.

I'm going to quote myself with added bolding.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, depends on what people want to do. I know this is the industry thread but not everything about your experience needs to be commercialized. You can do your own amateur portrait that's fun for you rather than get a pro to do it, and shouldn't feel guilty you're stealing food from the mouths of starving artists. If you want a portrait at all, which I personally don't. :shrug:

Some things can be. It's fine! You don't have to make your own food for game night or what loving ever you've decided to strawman me into saying. For gently caress's sake.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Kestral posted:

There are real swords that leave that area of the blade unsharpened for a reason, although I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Of course, why he's holding the blade like that is because it's a lovely piece of artwork.

It looks goofy, but it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi757-7XD94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bdMfaymGlk

But, gauging by the sword grip, I'd guess he's trying to look like a shirtless version of Starkiller from the Star Wars: Force Unleashed games

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some things can be. It's fine! You don't have to make your own food for game night or what loving ever you've decided to strawman me into saying. For gently caress's sake.

it still feels like you're making an arbitrary distinction between 'acceptable' commercialization and 'you are now a capitalist pig who must insert monetization into every facet of your life' commercialization

e: like yes, it's perfectly fine to have a self-sketched character portrait, or no portrait at all. My current character portrait in a pf2e game is a screenshot of a character I threw together in the Elden Ring character creator in like five minutes. But it's kind of obnoxious to act like commissioning someone to do a portrait is the first step on the road to like, NFT character sheets or whatever in terms of commercializing the hobby.

Doctor Zaius fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 16, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i'm gonna commercialize this thread

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't get the commissions but it's because I don't have much money.

Froghammer posted:

...do you not have art in your house?
Wow look at the millionaire over here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Zaius posted:

it still feels like you're making an arbitrary distinction between 'acceptable' commercialization and 'you are now a capitalist pig who must insert monetization into every facet of your life' commercialization

Are your feelings based on anything I've actually typed? Because I'm not seeing it.

Edit:

quote:

e: like yes, it's perfectly fine to have a self-sketched character portrait, or no portrait at all. My current character portrait in a pf2e game is a screenshot of a character I threw together in the Elden Ring character creator in like five minutes. But it's kind of obnoxious to act like commissioning someone to do a portrait is the first step on the road to like, NFT character sheets or whatever in terms of commercializing the hobby.

Good thing I didn't say anything remotely like that, unless I've missed something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are your feelings based on anything I've actually typed? Because I'm not seeing it.

I am. The word "commercialized" is not emotionally neutral. You are denigrating people for doing something that is extremely not a bad thing to do. Intentionally or not.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

I am. The word "commercialized" is not emotionally neutral. You are denigrating people for doing something that is extremely not a bad thing to do. Intentionally or not.

I don't accept that at all. This is a thread about TG as an industry. We discuss people's commercial enterprises all the time. The distinction between "doing something for yourself or a friend for fun" and "paying someone for products or services" is important. The fact that people find it insulting to use terms that bring light to these distinctions, like "commercializing", is some of the reason people are exploited in commercial ventures in this industry while being told they're part of a "community" or a "hobby".

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Commercialization of your hobby would be pro-DMing / AP with ads, not buying a character portrait that only you and three-six friends will ever see and care about.

Just like buying a decal to add to your skateboard and running a skateboard rental service are very different, and as such using the same term for both is very silly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gerund posted:

Commercialization of your hobby would be pro-DMing / AP with ads, not buying a character portrait that only you and three-six friends will ever see and care about.

Just like buying a decal to add to your skateboard and running a skateboard rental service are very different, and as such using the same term for both is very silly.

Quote where I said this. I will not respond to strawman claims anymore.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Quote me saying this.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, depends on what people want to do. I know this is the industry thread but not everything about your experience needs to be commercialized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009