Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finally got around to figuring out how the new beacons work in the K248 mod, and they are kind of interesting. They can have a lot more effects as the 2nd tier beacon transmits 4 modules and over a wide enough range that you can actually do a double ring around an assembler. They eat power like crazy though, at 4MW per beacon so they will certainly force me into using the K248 advanced power stuff sooner rather than later.

My first thing I used the beacons for was to re-do my plastic production (or part of it anyway) and I was able to get an entire blue belt of plastic out of a single yellow assembler.

Next I tackled green circuits just because I needed to redo them anyway, and I ended up with a rather odd looking configuration on my first try. A much more compact design could definitely be done, but I just went with this since it works and space isn't an issue and sometimes compact is boring.

I captured the screenshot at a bad time as I figured out shortly after this that the big central transmitter array was running low on one of the liquid fuels it needs so I wasn't getting the complete effect. It should show slightly over a full blue belt per assembler, but I didn't notice that the screenshot didn't capture the full regular output. I fixed the issue causing it to slow down right after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I started playing the space exploration mod yesterday and am having fun. I'm still in early game and I can see why they added more in-between steps to most recipes: it's a good way to raise crafting time without raising ingredient counts and it encourages automation . I just don't like it much, since I like to plan my factories out all at once, though I have promised not to use a main bus this time. We will see how far into this I actually get before I give up, as per usual with this sort of thing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I am slowly chugging along with my Krastorio 2 game. Krastorio science prices are too small, I think; I ran out of chemical science technologies long before I had the next tier of science set up. As such, I consoled in 400% higher tech prices, and now everything is on pace. I actually recommend doing something like this when playing Krastorio, although maybe not as extreme as multiplying them by 500%. (I'm still using RSO so I have a lot of resources available to me.) I would start with a 2x multiplier once you reach blue science (no need to extend the early game), and then maybe go up to 3x or so later.

It's funny how an RSO game can go off the rails with accidental buffers, though. My science production completely stalled because all my train depot unloading spots used 18x steel chests as a buffer for unloading, and my steel plates train was going around handing 18*40*200 steel plates to really silly places like my nuclear processing plant before they went to things like low-density structures that I actually needed.

I've also realized, sadly, that I have become a giant lazy bum when it comes to malls. I just can't live without requester chests; it's so drat convenient to just slap something down for every new recipe. I have always been a yellow before purple player; after all, yellow has cool stuff like "artillery" and "cluster grenades", whereas purple just has lame boring things like "level 3 modules" or "blue belts". But now it's terminal.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i havent played passed like just after early train science before and havent played in foever but captain of industry makes me want to play a full on much better factory game so im goin in blind passed that stage, prepare for pics of my poo poo rear end factory and me asking for help.

edit: unmodded too, i want those steam achievements, i have none currently.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

heres progress so far. automated belts and inserters. i feel like my mining setup is hosed up because as soon as i mine on the other side of the belt its all gonna be mixed up, ill have to like, separate the coal and ore onto separate belts and then rejoin them or something.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

queeb posted:

heres progress so far. automated belts and inserters. i feel like my mining setup is hosed up because as soon as i mine on the other side of the belt its all gonna be mixed up, ill have to like, separate the coal and ore onto separate belts and then rejoin them or something.

If you connect belts in a T or + shape, everything will only end up on one side of the belt (like the coal in the middle of your second image). Do the same with your iron and nothing should get mixed up

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or live the chaos life and deal with the mixed lanes. Posting screenshots will trigger some hefty reactions from the megabase crowd. :v:

(the community calls them sushi belts, it's fun to read about)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Now hold on, sushi belts are a specific setup that purposefully mixes lanes in a fixed ratio, not just randomly letting things get mixed up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nrook posted:

I am slowly chugging along with my Krastorio 2 game. Krastorio science prices are too small, I think; I ran out of chemical science technologies long before I had the next tier of science set up. As such, I consoled in 400% higher tech prices, and now everything is on pace. I actually recommend doing something like this when playing Krastorio, although maybe not as extreme as multiplying them by 500%. (I'm still using RSO so I have a lot of resources available to me.) I would start with a 2x multiplier once you reach blue science (no need to extend the early game), and then maybe go up to 3x or so later.

It's funny how an RSO game can go off the rails with accidental buffers, though. My science production completely stalled because all my train depot unloading spots used 18x steel chests as a buffer for unloading, and my steel plates train was going around handing 18*40*200 steel plates to really silly places like my nuclear processing plant before they went to things like low-density structures that I actually needed.

I've also realized, sadly, that I have become a giant lazy bum when it comes to malls. I just can't live without requester chests; it's so drat convenient to just slap something down for every new recipe. I have always been a yellow before purple player; after all, yellow has cool stuff like "artillery" and "cluster grenades", whereas purple just has lame boring things like "level 3 modules" or "blue belts". But now it's terminal.

Trains can cause interesting buffer issues. I've become totally dependent on TSM (Train Supply Manager) to handle my trains regardless of what other mods I'm playing with. I set up 2 unloading stations for each high-volume item like iron ore, and set the primary amount to something like 48000 ore (adjusted based on how fast I'm using it and how long the delay is from the time I call a full ore train to the time it arrives, and then set a lower trigger of 42000 (slightly less than 1 full 1-4 train load of ore) on the secondary unloading. That way only the primary station is used unless the demand is higher than 1 train can supply, and then the secondary station starts working.

This solves two problems - first, it obviously gives that station a much higher volume throughput, being able to unload 2 trains at a time, but secondly it gives me a good visual idea if my ore is falling behind if I start seeing the secondary station in operation regularly and I can take a look at adjusting things if needed.

TSM uses pooled supply depots where full trains sit waiting for a call, so you can shunt multiple mining outposts into a single supply depot and then call those trains to multiple unloading stations without worrying about balancing your mines output to individual unloading stations, you just need to make sure you have enough mines and trains to keep up with the combined demands of your unloading stations.

Also agree with you on malls. Bot-based malls, especially with modded games (like this 248K overhaul mod) where I never know how many more building types I am going to need to make as the game progresses.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

queeb posted:

You're doing good. Like Tamba said, T belts are the way to go here, and are in fact the standard way of setting up furnaces until late game. The only thing you haven't done is figure out how to supply the other side of the iron plate belt, but that doesn't matter until you scale up more.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna swap miners over to T belts soon i think.

feeling proud of my little atomation area but lol, should made more room:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

Trains can cause interesting buffer issues. I've become totally dependent on TSM (Train Supply Manager) to handle my trains regardless of what other mods I'm playing with. I set up 2 unloading stations for each high-volume item like iron ore, and set the primary amount to something like 48000 ore (adjusted based on how fast I'm using it and how long the delay is from the time I call a full ore train to the time it arrives, and then set a lower trigger of 42000 (slightly less than 1 full 1-4 train load of ore) on the secondary unloading. That way only the primary station is used unless the demand is higher than 1 train can supply, and then the secondary station starts working.

This solves two problems - first, it obviously gives that station a much higher volume throughput, being able to unload 2 trains at a time, but secondly it gives me a good visual idea if my ore is falling behind if I start seeing the secondary station in operation regularly and I can take a look at adjusting things if needed.

TSM uses pooled supply depots where full trains sit waiting for a call, so you can shunt multiple mining outposts into a single supply depot and then call those trains to multiple unloading stations without worrying about balancing your mines output to individual unloading stations, you just need to make sure you have enough mines and trains to keep up with the combined demands of your unloading stations.

Also agree with you on malls. Bot-based malls, especially with modded games (like this 248K overhaul mod) where I never know how many more building types I am going to need to make as the game progresses.

To give an alternative to this:

I used to use TSM but since 1.1 came out with the train limit option I feel like it's no longer needed unless you want really complex request setups. Wire up all the chests in your consumer stations (i.e. where steel is getting dropped off) and do a very simple circuit setup to divide the value by the amount in the chests to set the amount of trains that can show up at the station.

To give a concrete example, if you steel train holds 16k steel plates, and you want to keep 32k in storage at all times, do ((16k / [current storage]) + 1). Then wire that number up to your "train count" at the station. Any time your steel storage drops below 32k, it will allow a train to path there (which would fill it to 48k). If your count drops below 16k, it will allow two train to path there. If it's above 32k, no train will ever path there

This is pretty simplified, but it ensures your trains won't just constantly path to stations that don't need anything. If someone wants a bigger effort post, I have full designs for providers/consumers that sets appropriate train counts at all stations to ensure nothing ever gets stuck, along with full/empty train buffer stations to keep the network unclogged, all using vanilla train mechanics. In my circuit setups I define max counts as well, to make sure trains don't stack up outside the station buffer and into main tracks which produces deadlocks. It's built for my K2 megabase setup so it's built to be very robust, I've ran a 5k SMP K2 setup (which is roughly analogous to 10k vanilla) for about 100 hours with this setup with zero deadlocks or supply problems.

I do still keep TSM installed, but these days the only thing I use it for is auto-refuelling stations, everything else felt overkill with TSM now that vanilla train stations are so powerful with much simpler setups.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy gently caress its ugly but i figured it out

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There are a couple ways to do that much more elegantly, but you're making really rapid progress and you should be happy with yourself.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

queeb posted:

holy gently caress its ugly but i figured it out

That's awesome.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Taffer posted:

To give an alternative to this:

I used to use TSM but since 1.1 came out with the train limit option I feel like it's no longer needed unless you want really complex request setups. Wire up all the chests in your consumer stations (i.e. where steel is getting dropped off) and do a very simple circuit setup to divide the value by the amount in the chests to set the amount of trains that can show up at the station.

To give a concrete example, if you steel train holds 16k steel plates, and you want to keep 32k in storage at all times, do ((16k / [current storage]) + 1). Then wire that number up to your "train count" at the station. Any time your steel storage drops below 32k, it will allow a train to path there (which would fill it to 48k). If your count drops below 16k, it will allow two train to path there. If it's above 32k, no train will ever path there

This is pretty simplified, but it ensures your trains won't just constantly path to stations that don't need anything. If someone wants a bigger effort post, I have full designs for providers/consumers that sets appropriate train counts at all stations to ensure nothing ever gets stuck, along with full/empty train buffer stations to keep the network unclogged, all using vanilla train mechanics. In my circuit setups I define max counts as well, to make sure trains don't stack up outside the station buffer and into main tracks which produces deadlocks. It's built for my K2 megabase setup so it's built to be very robust, I've ran a 5k SMP K2 setup (which is roughly analogous to 10k vanilla) for about 100 hours with this setup with zero deadlocks or supply problems.

I do still keep TSM installed, but these days the only thing I use it for is auto-refuelling stations, everything else felt overkill with TSM now that vanilla train stations are so powerful with much simpler setups.

Absolutely valid points. I just keep using TSM because I have a very thorough understanding of how to set it up and make it work the way I want it to, and just never felt the need to relearn how to do things with the new built in train mechanics and the train limit option. I like the way the TSM supply depot's work.

Ultimately though, it's more because I've been too lazy to figure out how to make it work smoothly using the new in-game system.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

K8.0 posted:

There are a couple ways to do that much more elegantly, but you're making really rapid progress and you should be happy with yourself.

i played a bit awhile ago but i was legit just copying from a katherinofsky video and learning nothing up to green science, so I get things like the main bus and stuff but figuring this poo poo out solo hurts my brain but also feels dope when it works, lol

i'll look up the better ways after i launch a rocket in the 80 hours this is gonna take me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

queeb posted:

i played a bit awhile ago but i was legit just copying from a katherinofsky video and learning nothing up to green science, so I get things like the main bus and stuff but figuring this poo poo out solo hurts my brain but also feels dope when it works, lol

i'll look up the better ways after i launch a rocket in the 80 hours this is gonna take me.

I absolutely support this system of doing things. Discovery is fun!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

day 1 end progress. i got some stone going, probably to make walls i guess? do i need a lot of stone later? my little mall in the middle left there is coming along, just automated fast inserters which are dope. i currently have 4 assemblers making gears which makes me think i should belt it, at least in my mall but i dunno.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You don't need a ton of stone, but if you pave the world you can use quite a lot of it. It's easy to overlook, but it's worth doing since you move faster on it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Playing Sea Block, and I recall years ago there was a browser kind of like Minecraft JEI, to see recipes available. Is it included, do I need to add it myself? What's it called?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Devor posted:

Playing Sea Block, and I recall years ago there was a browser kind of like Minecraft JEI, to see recipes available. Is it included, do I need to add it myself? What's it called?

FNEI

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/npo6ka/FNEI

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

queeb posted:

day 1 end progress. i got some stone going, probably to make walls i guess? do i need a lot of stone later? my little mall in the middle left there is coming along, just automated fast inserters which are dope. i currently have 4 assemblers making gears which makes me think i should belt it, at least in my mall but i dunno.

I absolutely love the iron and circuit pinwheel.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

K8.0 posted:

You don't need a ton of stone, but if you pave the world you can use quite a lot of it. It's easy to overlook, but it's worth doing since you move faster on it.

You also need some stone to make concrete to make nuclear reactors, and for walls for military science.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The Locator posted:

You also need some stone to make concrete to make nuclear reactors, and for walls for military science.

purple science takes a significant amount of stone as well

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Trying to look into mods that add more tiers of power, currently using krastorio and SE, but krastorio doesn't have higher tier accumulators which is a problem, any suggestions for mods? 5dim's energy seems to be somewhat what I'm looking for but jesus gently caress can't that person at least write a simple description?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I automated green science in SE, realized that I may have bitten off more than I could chew, and started up a vanilla game instead. I still have all the files I need to continue the SE game, but for now it's just too stressful to play. That said, I'm finding vanilla boring too, so maybe I'll restart a game on peaceful mode, or with no biters.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

green science automated!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

queeb posted:

green science automated!

Fun future trick: inserters can take items from research stations so you can build chains of research stations without belts, just connect them to each other with inserters. There's a practical limit to how much you can do with this otherwise the stations spend too much time idle but it is a fun enhancement.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

xzzy posted:

Fun future trick: inserters can take items from research stations so you can build chains of research stations without belts, just connect them to each other with inserters. There's a practical limit to how much you can do with this otherwise the stations spend too much time idle but it is a fun enhancement.

It's also worth noting the practical limit is quite high, I was well into the post-game using a single set of inserter chained research labs with minimal downtime. It's not an issue during the course of normal play.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Counterpoint, rings of colorful belts look awesome.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still use a sushi science system a la this just because it looks good.

https://www.factorio.school/view/-MGitGmg8AH5zjZ0-txq

The changes AAI does to recipes is so annoying because it ruins basically every bp I have lol

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 18, 2022

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Finally, black circuits. I've been procrastinating for like a month lol.

First priority is sorter 5's so that I can get tungsten and platinum as direct outputs. Unfortunately nothing doing about chrome in that way. Then I guess white science and a redo of plastic/rubber/resin now that I can make yellow catalysts, then to explore nuclear power. Maybe select module 2s also. Then I guess train and megabase scaling for the endgam.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Finally, black circuits. I've been procrastinating for like a month lol.

Is that just an angel/bobs game?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Seablock! This circuit production is really revealing all my latent bottlenecks that's for sure.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I remember having a mod that basically changed blueprints into a prepared mode where you had to drag over it by another tool before it started building em, anyone remember the name of the mod?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Anyone try out that Spaceblock thingamajig? Seems like instead of generating things from the sea it's more about generating positive feedback loops and skimming the excess for the next, higher tier, feedback loop.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I've forgotten how painful it is to not have robots, any suggestions on an early bots mod?

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Nalesh posted:

I've forgotten how painful it is to not have robots, any suggestions on an early bots mod?

Nanobots is a pretty well balanced early one where it's just a consumable item that fires from your weapon slot. There's some upgrades to keep make them faster as you tech up through green and red science. Not terribly expensive but annoying enough that upgrading just basic construction drones still feels good.

NCompanion Drones definitely feel more... cheaty. They build super fast and you can put a poo poo ton of lasers on them to wreck biter nests, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nalesh posted:

There are a ton of options, just google "Factorio Bot Start" and you'll find a bunch, just kinda depends on how cheaty you want to be I guess.

For me the early game and hand placing is tedious and I don't really want to do it much, so I use something like this:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BuilderBotStart

Not that exact mod, but something similar. I didn't start with the exoskeleton, night vision or belt immunity that this mod gives you.