Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm working on a project with HR and my main contact learns fast, cares about successfully implementing a program that will measurably help the company, and is pleasant to talk with. Because it's our Canada HR dept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

boar guy posted:

lol HR just mandated that you're not allowed to discuss who has had covid and who hasn't or who doesn't and who does with co workers

edit: hipaa i guess?

Our CEO has privately told me at least 3 people here (in an office of about ~30) are unvaccinated. I don't want to go around asking everyone point blank, but so far I've only found one of them. Their reasoning was exceptionally baffling (partner was immunocomprimised so they decided to act as a 'coal mine canary') and my attempts to keep away from them for fear of indirectly infecting an at-risk person were all for naught... because 3 weeks later they got covid, infected their entire household anyway and said partner barely survived a hospital stay. :doh:

After that I gave up.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

lol, when your canary becomes an ignition source.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
What do you mean that my flamethrower doesn't act as an early warning system for gas???

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you're not allowed to ask about covid status, you can't draw any conclusions about why half the office is off sick. It's the law.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Uh, the canary is more quickly affected by gas which is why that works. In that case the immunocompromised person is the canary. This method does not work if the end goal is to protect the canary.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Someone should start a labor union for all these canaries in unsafe mining operations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheSpartacus posted:

Someone should start a labor union for all these canaries in unsafe mining operations.

I think they just use non-union employees and deny their workers compensation claims. More cost effective.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

boar guy posted:

'it just wasn't working out' is what you say in any situation where there's no cause to fire someone, but you don't want to get sued. a classic 'at-will' employment sham that keeps all the power with the employer

From a ways back but I had this happen at an old tech support job back around 2007. I started as an L1/L2 tech, then got moved into training (including creating/updating documents) & also was promoted to a team lead. Got glowing reviews from coworkers, new hires & other peers, all my documents were updated & I worked closely with other teams to make sure everything was correct. Even covered for my direct supervisor a few times when he had emergencies or last-minute schedule changes.

The manager above my supervisor pulled me into a meeting on sup's day off, ran me through the whole "this isn't working out" spiel then gave me my term papers. Bear in mind she'd never once been involved with ANY of the work I was doing - she didn't sit in on training, didn't ask or follow up about any documentation, didn't even talk with the people I trained to get feedback. Tons of people were shocked including supervisor but manager wouldn't budge or give any concrete reasoning to anyone.

As it turned out, our location was set to be closed down entirely & I was just the first of many who were booted before the building was emptied out. I only found out later because said dumbass manager complained on social media about losing her job with no severance & how her husband lost his job too (this was right before the 08 recession), so they were scrambling to pay bills before their house got foreclosed on & their fancy cars got repo'd :laffo: myself & several others I was still friends with were laughing our asses off at that one.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol.

I threw my back out a couple weeks ago and one of our leadership team helpfully offered 'I take advil when my back hurts' and I just left that poo poo on read.

Suck my dick you bossman.

:( Hey boss, I broke my leg & can't get around easily

:byodood: Suck it up & hop on your good leg, peon

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 15, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

when I got laid off last year my skip level's boss who was doing the deed tried to avoid giving me severance (i'd been there for 12 years and was one of the first ten US employees in the company) by claiming my work wasn't up to par

i'd just been up until 3 doing a high-priority deployment that i woke up for at 7 to babysit as users started logging on. everything had gone exceptionally smoothly and the client sent me a gushing email about how great it was with a starbucks gift card

i'd kind of assumed i was getting the axe because i'd never had a one on one meeting with this rear end in a top hat before and i wasn't having any of that nonsense after the week i'd had so i very politely asked, 'i'm sorry if i'm not meeting expectations - i have my last several performance reviews right here and they're all stellar, so i hate having this blind spot - can you elaborate on where i'm falling short and need to improve?'

suddenly he starts saying a lot of "ums" and "uhs" and turns off his camera. when i got the formal termination notice a bit later i got my full severance payout and a thanks for my excellent work.

choke on a bag of dicks, jason

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Not much to report on the settlement front with my former employer, but I did have a bit of a scare today.

I was let go on 01/07 and you only get 180 days to file your claim with the EEOC. That deadline is strict af. I had started one before I found legal representation. Part of what I am paying them for is to handle the communications with the EEOC so I don't have to.
Today I got an e-mail requesting I schedule an intake interview. It's already 06/15, so that made me gulp.

I left them a VM then e-mailed counsel. She kindly informed me the local EEOC office had already contacted her and I could safely ignore the e-mail, as they had some questions about my charges and she answered them.
I also asked, since my former employer is making insultingly low settlement offers, if they might come to the table with a more favorable attitude after I get my RTS from the EEOC (basically the results of their investigation) and she advised... well she did that lawyer thing where she said nothing. It was written like this: "If you get a positive ruling from the EEOC they still may not be inclined to settle. On the other hand, if the result doesn't go in your favor you can still prevail. I mean, just say, "There's no telling, bro."

Stand by to stand by I guess.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My company was tying itsself in knots over whether it could legally ask* employees whether they are vaccinated.

Thanks to a lifetime of riddles I managed to solve it to everyone's satisfaction:

1. Our policy requires that you are vaccinated
2. Are you in compliance with our policies?

* actually, store the information

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not much to report on the settlement front with my former employer, but I did have a bit of a scare today.

I was let go on 01/07 and you only get 180 days to file your claim with the EEOC. That deadline is strict af. I had started one before I found legal representation. Part of what I am paying them for is to handle the communications with the EEOC so I don't have to.
Today I got an e-mail requesting I schedule an intake interview. It's already 06/15, so that made me gulp.

I left them a VM then e-mailed counsel. She kindly informed me the local EEOC office had already contacted her and I could safely ignore the e-mail, as they had some questions about my charges and she answered them.
I also asked, since my former employer is making insultingly low settlement offers, if they might come to the table with a more favorable attitude after I get my RTS from the EEOC (basically the results of their investigation) and she advised... well she did that lawyer thing where she said nothing. It was written like this: "If you get a positive ruling from the EEOC they still may not be inclined to settle. On the other hand, if the result doesn't go in your favor you can still prevail. I mean, just say, "There's no telling, bro."

Stand by to stand by I guess.

Don't go to the Elves lawyers for advice, for they will answer both yes and no.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lol I just witnessed firsthand a technician failing upwards into a manager position.

gently caress this organization so loving hard, please just let me hear back from one of the many jobs I've applied for soon. I'm going to loving lose it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Congrats on your promotion!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lol

Tell us the story Jonny

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
Yes, we need details on this failing upward technician!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lovely technician has complained about job responsibilities nonstop, including straight up lying about parts of them, only to be refuted on all points because... the organization keeps the job postings after individuals have been hired. No disciplinary actions here, in fact lovely technician became emboldened by this fact because management was kowtowing to them because they're worried they would quit and leave a vacant position. And, in fact, they threatened to quit multiple times. Again, met with nothing but management hemming and hawing about how lovely technician should be aided to better work "within the team".

lovely technician's manager quit a few months ago, and the position had two applicants, including lovely technician. lovely technician has no managerial experience whatsoever, a garbage cover letter, and a meandering and bad resume. I interviewed lovely technician with two other managers, and interviewed the other candidate. Other candidate has worked in a highly regulated organization in the past, and most recently a different, yet highly regulated organization. Has managed teams of up to 11 people for ~15 years, cool beans.

Interview ends, I expressed how other candidate was better because of reasons, lovely technician's boss (so their manager's boss) said well lovely technician knows this organization blahblahblah. gently caress off. Whatever.

Drama begins this monday when some equipment of ours fails over the weekend, and it is brought to light that out of 8 pieces of equipment that were serviced approximately a month ago, 4 are experiencing problems. No one can track down a finalized contract for the maintenance to be performed, so I begin investigating. lovely technician forwards me an email chain where they explicitly schedule the maintenance, and another email chain where they confirm that they badged the maintenance technician into areas, and identified pieces of equipment for them. But there is no paperwork from this maintenance technician at all, no receipt of maintenance performed, no contract being signed by lovely technician. lovely technician has been trying to contact the company to get this paperwork to no avail.

So, long story short, lovely technician scheduled a five-figure maintenance without a finalized contract, then received no paperwork whatsoever from the maintenance technician either before or after the maintenance was performed, and allowed them to leave without any kind of paper trail. And this was over a month ago.

Fake edit: Oh, and there is an email chain that lovely technician participated in specifically mentioning removing two of the pieces of equipment from the contract. lovely technician still allowed maintenance technician to perform work on these pieces of equipment.

They just sent out the email today that lovely technician is getting promoted to their managerial position, while this issue has still been resolved.

TotalLossBrain posted:

:suicide:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe you'd get your own promotion if it wasn't for your truancy problem, Johnny!!!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

Maybe you'd get your own promotion if it wasn't for your truancy problem, Johnny!!!

:derp:

To be clear, I'm in a manager position and in no way wanted the position that lovely technician was applying for. I basically do that job already, but for ~15% less salary and with more responsibilities piled on that were actually, not, in my job posting.

Ask me how many jobs I've applied for on company time! The answer is not enough get me the gently caress out of this joke organization

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

loving. LOL.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i remember the :yotj: thing is there like a pre-toot for like a call to adventure type of thing?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I've had a kidney stone since last Friday. Took Monday and Tuesday off (ended up taking an ambulance to the ER because I couldn't stand up straight, rip my savings.) Worked yesterday sore but on painkillers, found out today the fucker hasn't moved at all so I will likely need a procedure to blast it to tiny pieces. Scheduled for 7/1. Tell my boss.

"Is there a recovery period?"
"Well it's the day before a three day weekend so I should be ok, will let you know."
"Well we really need you for month end close."
"No you don't. I send you one report per month and make sure all invoices are entered, which I will be doing since I'm working the morning of my surgery. I'll be back when I'm back and will keep you updated as I have been."

I'm working two straight weeks on painkillers and Flomax (look up those side effects for a laugh, and yes I have the worst one), gently caress you you assholes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Critical posted:

I've had a kidney stone since last Friday. Took Monday and Tuesday off (ended up taking an ambulance to the ER because I couldn't stand up straight, rip my savings.) Worked yesterday sore but on painkillers, found out today the fucker hasn't moved at all so I will likely need a procedure to blast it to tiny pieces. Scheduled for 7/1. Tell my boss.

"Is there a recovery period?"
"Well it's the day before a three day weekend so I should be ok, will let you know."
"Well we really need you for month end close."
"No you don't. I send you one report per month and make sure all invoices are entered, which I will be doing since I'm working the morning of my surgery. I'll be back when I'm back and will keep you updated as I have been."

I'm working two straight weeks on painkillers and Flomax (look up those side effects for a laugh, and yes I have the worst one), gently caress you you assholes.

Sorry about your lovely kidneys also your lovely boss. Also the side effect is retrograde ejaculation isn't it?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Zil posted:

Sorry about your lovely kidneys also your lovely boss. Also the side effect is retrograde ejaculation isn't it?

That would be it! Slightly thankful I can replace "retrograde" with "complete lack of" but still sucks.

Going to the US Open on Sunday so hopefully walking around a bit will jar the fucker loose but it hasn't worked yet.

I'm nearly positive I'll be fine by the following Tuesday but the loving gall pissed me off on an already annoying day.

Also got a call back from a recruiter for a job I applied for, who told me it was actually contract instead of direct hire as it said on the ad. They didn't appreciate my "So you lied?" response.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
no no no no no no no no no

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

no no no no no no no no no

Mamma Mia Mamma Mia Mamma Mia! Jeffery of Yospos has an admin set aside for me~

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What the gently caress does 'abnormal ejaculation' actually mean? Are you spraying goldfish all over your partner or something?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

What the gently caress does 'abnormal ejaculation' actually mean? Are you spraying goldfish all over your partner or something?

I'm single, so it's into a fish tank.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

Ugh, that's a visual

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Escape From Noise posted:

Has anyone said The Shape of Cum yet?

The Shape of Cum

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Look at all the little swimmers!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The shape of fins to cum

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Spawn (but the fish kind)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Recently things have improved a lot at work. The restaurant manager (who had too much on his plate without the brewery) is stepping away from having anything to do directly with the brewery and I'm getting more responsibilities with wrt the production schedule, ordering, etc. Despite that technically being more responsibilities, it's not a ton of extra work and has, at least so far, made my job way less stressful, since I now have a much better picture of my schedule and what I need to do to prepare, etc.

I'm now answering more to the I guess section head (I'm bad at understanding corporate structure, even in English). He's not here super often meaning I seem to have a lot of room to make my own decisions. We went out drinking a bit ago and he was interested in learning more. We went to some craft beer places. So overall things are good but we're at the "Can you make a beer that tastes like this?" He asked my coworker today about a beer we had while we were out and my coworker called me to ask about it. We're having a meeting today. I don't really get why you'd need to call about that.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Critical posted:

Going to the US Open on Sunday so hopefully walking around a bit will jar the fucker loose but it hasn't worked yet.

Maybe go to a theme park instead?
Wishing you a speedy recovery in any case.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

There's a plan to make an imperial stout in September or so it's done around December/January. In the meeting we had, the boss wanted to know what we could add. Coffee and cacao were too "obvious" so I find myself trying to head poo poo off at the pass before I'm asked to make a peanut butter, marshmallow, vanilla, fruit, etc. imperial stout. Pitched smoked honey since the restaurant has a smoker. Why does poo poo have to be so loving extra every time?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
[ I don't really get why you'd need to call about that.
[/quote]

What are they supposed to do, not waste your time?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I was at least at work but I mean...it was something brought up in the meeting. It took a few minutes googling to figure out what that beer was.
I get this guy's trying to help me but
It turns out it's a tropical IPA, which isn't exactly rocket surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Dumb thing my work does: block Something Awful!

Dumber thing my work does: full admin rights on my laptop allowing my to install a VPN so I can post on company time!