Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GriszledMelkaba posted:

If you are not gently caress The Police then why ride motorcycles?

How do motorcycle cops fit into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress the Police, ACAB, and don’t make yourself more of a loving target for them, especially as a new rider.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Well, as the speed limits where I live actually has a grounding in reality I tend to obey them. In 80 km/h+ zones I'm usually at 10% above to not be the slowest vehicle on the road.
I'm not going anywhere in a hurry usually so I take my time to plan out the most awesome non straight roads where keeping 80 km/h is a challenge. The default country road here is narrow and technical riding.
If you are outside of a city in Norway, when hitting a 60km/h zone its usually there for a reason. The base rules is the number of driveways pr certain distance. Above a certain limit you get a 60 zone instead of a 80 zone.

Because that's where people live.

And I've multiple times met the actual mythical mommy with a baby carriage in your lane without a sidewalk around a blindish corner in those areas.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

What are you on about? Speed limits are LIMITS, not recommendations, this is the main problem with how things are. Most people are always trying to drive at or above the speed limit, when really they should be going "anywhere" below the limit.

I don't agree with that. Is it OK to go 10km/h in a 80km/h zone? I mean, maybe? If the conditions call for it, eg a snow storm, extremely heavy rain or thick fog, etc.. Huge speed differentials are dangerous, whether it's someone going way over or going way under.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Speed limits in the US are set by the very dumb 15% rule.

Real speed limits are set by the design of the road. And these are always designed for cars to go as fast as possible it seems.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Toe Rag posted:

I don't agree with that. Is it OK to go 10km/h in a 80km/h zone?

Yeah, that's totally what he wrote.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cops love it when you explain speed limit theory to them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

gently caress the Police, ACAB, and don’t make yourself more of a loving target for them, especially as a new rider.

Yup.

Having the judgment to know when the speed limit is bullshit is part of learning how to be not-poo poo at riding. If ride around staring at your speedo in the name of safety you still learn very little and one day have a crash that you can't explain and have to rationalize as cold tyres brah

If you ride around like a dong near the cars, you'll crash and deserve to

If you ride around like a dong in the suburbs, you'll get arrested and deserve to

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

If you whine about a speeding ticket it's your own chump rear end you have to blame for overrunning your cop sight distance.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

SEKCobra posted:

What are you on about? Speed limits are LIMITS, not recommendations, this is the main problem with how things are. Most people are always trying to drive at or above the speed limit, when really they should be going "anywhere" below the limit. No matter what vehicle you are in or on, faster is never better, brake distances are always a squared function and no matter how good your brakes are, reaction times are not affected by that. Modern speed limits can be argued to have arbitrary roots, but they are based on science and math, which is also one of the reasons many townships around me are lowering limits from 50 to 30 kph on secondary roads. It's the basic concept of any engineered road, that people have to be able to stop within the distance necessary to avoid collision. At junctions you have to either reduce your speed to an amount that would make this possible within sight or have some other form of yielding (Signs or signals). It's never an acceptable approach to go "lol I can get through the intersection before you could possibly hit me if I go x fast".
You clearly read only half of what i wrote.

I work in a physics related field, i know the stuff about brake and reaction distance drat well, which i also wrote in the last couple of lines of my message. But i also know that there are environmental and political factors at play, as well as good old stupidity.

These two corners are identical, going in the same direction. The left one is the newest, posted 100km/h, which is reasonable in the rain because some drivers are so lovely that they can't deal with it. Conservative but reasonable.
On the dry, going much faster is possible.

The right one is posted 70km/h. Literally no one goes 70 there. Not even the lorries. Not even a 1960s lorry i once saw there. Because there's no reason to go 70 there. They never bothered re evaluating the speed limit there even with the new one being built. The asphalt surface is identical, so is the angle the surface is at.

Both have the same risk of merging into a traffic jam on the highway it merges into but there's enough space to register the traffic jam after exiting the corner.

In Amsterdam, they wanna blanket 30km/h the whole city. On busy days i have no problems with that, it's already hardly possible to hit 50 some of those days. Let alone in a car.
However, there are still moments on which roads are quiet. This is typically political, because yes going slower reduces impact energy if you hit a cyclist, but in practice speeds are surprisingly well self regulating in that city. If you would stretch the limit to 80, only a very small percentage would actually try to go that fast.
It also doesn't take into account the areas where you don't share the roads with tourists/cyclists, without street parking etc etc where the kind of risk is totally different from the risks in the city center.

The environmental reasons: our highways are designed for 130km/h. But in the daytime, you can only go 100 (which is no big deal in the densely populated Randstad area becasue of the small distances, you barely save any time) but if you're taking a big multiple hour trip to the other side of the country, it starts to count.
Around amsterdam, highway limits are down to 80km/h for those reasons.
Meanwhile, you're still allowed to own a big american pickup truck that uses 5 times the amount of fuel my bike does...

On the other side: there's a highway exit 180 degree corner in Amsterdam (Zuidas) which is always slick. It is not posted with anything afaik, or perhaps a 'recommended 50' sign.
Even at 50 it is hairy. When all signs are so conservative, it sucks when you encounter a very realistic limit sign for once.

Precise engineering of speed limits is an utopia. If it was like that, the limits would be higher in many places and lower in some, and reacting to the actual things that happen on the road. Even if they were, they will be engineered for cars and lorries, not for bikes. And for those a short burst of speed between two risky places doesn't make sense, while on a bike it's trivial to accelerate from 30 to 60 and slow back again in a few hundred meters. Bike speeds are so much more dynamic than car speeds because of the lower mass. Emergency brake distance stuff is still valid, but in non emergency brake situations speed variations happen much quicker.
That caught me out once when i drove a car (and an automatic one at that) for the first time in years. Letting go of the throttle doesn't make the car go any slower...

All that aside, in the 5 years i've been riding i've only gotten a ticket once. I think i'm doing it right.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 17, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Being a newbie I try not to be an rear end in a top hat and I try not to get hurt or die. When I drive my four wheel shitbox I follow the speed limits. On two wheels I don't because that's not how It feels good to ride. I'll look at my speedo occasionally to avoid exceeding the magic number which allows the cops to yank my licence on the spot when I'm in areas the cops might be looking for sinners. I'm only strict with my speed going by school zones. My kids go to a school, I work in a school and I know drat well how unpredictable kids are in traffic and how often there are lasering cops ticketing people going 34km/h in those, which I'm more or less fine with. (the magic licence yanking number is 51km/h in a school zone btw)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slavvy posted:

Square.txt

I'd like to make it clear here that I'm not against speeding where appropriate. I am against the idea of speeding in a foreign country you presumably know the penalties for before going there, getting caught then making a video where you spend a lot of it pissing and moaning about it. It sucked as content and as first introduction to their work, lol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'd like to make it clear here that I'm not against speeding where appropriate. I am against the idea of speeding in a foreign country you presumably know the penalties for before going there, getting caught then making a video where you spend a lot of it pissing and moaning about it. It sucked as content and as first introduction to their work, lol.

Totally fair, I was being flip.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

44teeth was best in The Lockdown Show.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

44 teeth was best when they rode monkey bikes through the McDonald's drive through

Actually no, I think I prefer when they were bombing Chinese bikes down a dirt track

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

When I did my bike test in the UK, which admittedly was a long time ago, you would fail if you didn't ride at the speed limit. Riding under the limit indicates the candidate is insufficiently competent/confident to be allowed the hayabusa they're planning to get as a first bike.

My city has a blanket 30kph limit between 10pm and 7am, it's really awesome because the city is q u i e t at night.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got dinged on my license test for leaning my cb650 too far in the turns.

:wtc:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a very long time ago i got dinged for changing gears from 1st to 2nd while still driving through the intersection in my car

on my moto road test last year i kept getting late yellow lights, probably 3 of them. i went through every one of them and then just waited for the examiner car after. its how you are supposed to ride, but its just funny the amount of times i had to pull over and wait. passed just fine.

if the system wasnt so clogged id love to see people get mandatory drivers license tests every 5 years or something. people dont even slow down for stop signs now. it would be a nice dose of reality to be examined again.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

numberoneposter posted:

if the system wasnt so clogged id love to see people get mandatory drivers license tests every 5 years or something. people dont even slow down for stop signs now. it would be a nice dose of reality to be examined again.
I've been driving for 25 years but took a few riding lessons for the moto exam last summer and apart from the whole riding aspect the rules of the road are the same. Some fundamental traffic behavior had definitely gotten pretty sloppy. The most noticeable flaw that became super obvious with the pro instructor giving me grief about it over the radio was that I didn't register all the traffic signs. Wonder when that happened. A recurring exam is probably a great idea.

I'm under the impression that stop sign intersections are severely overused in the U.S. which might be part of that particular problem. Roundabouts and yield signs are the norm here and stop signs are reserved for the really sketchy places so people tend to respect them.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I take my MSF class in about a month and have been looking at getting a Rebel 300 as my first bike. There is a Royal Enfield dealer nearby so I could get meteor or classic 350 at a similar price point if I wanted to. Is there any reason I should consider one of the RE bikes over the Rebel?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Even though RE have allegedly addressed a lot of the manufacturing and qc isssues, just get the rebel. Your first bike should be about riding it not wrenching on it or having to take it back to the dealer so it can sit there for weeks. You don’t want to be worried about mechanical issues when you need to be entirely focused on learning skills.

You could also consider the rebel 500 or the CB300R. The CB is 60lb lighter than the rebel 300, which is its biggest new bike advantage. But I get if you prefer a thing that looks like a cruiser. Make sure you sit on one and see what you think of the rebel riding position.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 18, 2022

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Russian Bear posted:

Even though RE have allegedly addressed a lot of the manufacturing and qc isssues, just get the rebel. Your first bike should be about riding it not wrenching on it or having to take it back to the dealer so it can sit there for weeks. You don’t want to be worried about mechanical issues when you need to be entirely focused on learning skills.

That makes sense to me, I'm not completely adverse to learning to work on a bike, but the less I have to do the more fun I'm going to have.

Russian Bear posted:

You could also consider the rebel 500 or the CB300R. The CB is 60lb lighter than the rebel 300, which is its biggest new bike advantage. But I get if you prefer a thing that looks like a cruiser. Make sure you sit on one and see what you think of the rebel riding position.

I do need to go sit on some bikes. I'm planning on buying my helmet next weekend and the shop I'm going to should have some 300s. I like the cruiser style and I think the Rebel looks great, so that's what I have been looking at. I would get a 500 but last time I looked there was literally one used 2018 one in a 50 mile radius.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 18, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have a friend who has an RE 500 Classic and a Himalayan.

The Classic has been without problems generally but fit and finish was poor. Low quality fasteners. The clutch is practically binary, and along with the also binary fueling nature of their EFI and extremely low first gear, I consider it a poor learner bike. Given the tendency of learners to make mistakes in first gear at intersections and around parking lots, it is a stall and drop hazard for the characteristics listed. While in motion it’s very forgiving and easy to ride though. Pretty though, and fun for putzing around town.

The Himalayan had a handful of electrical gremlins that took him a long time to solve. Assembly was not great, with some things fairly loose and not properly fitting together. Seat, body panels, headlight maybe? Goon Tim Raines IRL had a saga with theirs as well. Without having ridden it, I can tell you it’s very underpowered for its weight and top heavy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think if you could like, bulk order ten Enfields they would probably be equatable to one Honda on aggregate and may even be capable of more mileage (cumulatively).

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Is that so? I'm about to buy my first bike and the Internet at large seems to think their newer 650s are pretty solid. I like the vibe of the continental gt and there is a triumph/re dealer just down the street.

Perhaps I should steer clear?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MSPain posted:

Is that so? I'm about to buy my first bike and the Internet at large seems to think their newer 650s are pretty solid. I like the vibe of the continental gt and there is a triumph/re dealer just down the street.

See my comment above about first bikes. It could be fine or it could be spending its time at the dealer waiting on a part that probably doesn’t have an eta. You want Japanese reliability while you’re learning to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

1. The internet is full of idiots who are desperate to justify their puchase. The best bike is the bike you just spent a bunch of money on.

2. The 650 hasn't been around anywhere near long enough to make that determination; at best you could conclude they ride well and look nice

3. Your first bike is not your last bike. Looks, style, performance and how it sits in the showroom are all terrible metrics to gauge a learner bike by. This is an extremely typical learner-brained mistake caused by not really knowing what you like or what's good, it's how people end up with indian scouts and sportsters for their first bike. The stuff that matters is reliability, ease of use, lightness, skinny tyres, ABS if you care about that.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

1. The internet is full of idiots who are desperate to justify their puchase. The best bike is the bike you just spent a bunch of money on.

For the record, the people I'm talking about here, among others, are the Fortnine and Yammie Noob youtube channels. The Yammie people don't seem to actually like the bikes that much but still recommend them for beginners.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've only been riding for a year and even I can tell the Yammie channel is piss garbage made by poo poo idiots.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What sort of roads/riding will you have access to in your area? And what do you see yourself doing?

As an example, if you wanna ride gravel roads in your area some other sort of starter bike will be better than the re650.

If you only have straight 55mph country roads around, maybe you’ll want something with wind protection stock instead.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
true, that channel does radiate a douchey internet redneck energy.

I am getting a lot of conflicting information from every corner and I don't know what to believe. the truth is out there. In my heart of hearts I believe most of the modern japanese bikes look weird as hell and I wouldn't be excited to own one, which is not a good introduction to motorcycling even if they are the Correctest Choice.

Edit: I want to use this as an alternative to driving a car in and around Seattle. Probably no off-roading. Bopping around the city/surrounds, occasionally carrying a passenger or groceries.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Passengers isn’t something you’re going to want to do for a while.

Learn on a 125 or 250cc for 6 months at least.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
:wtc: maybe I'll just get a bicycle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MSPain posted:

For the record, the people I'm talking about here, among others, are the Fortnine and Yammie Noob youtube channels. The Yammie people don't seem to actually like the bikes that much but still recommend them for beginners.

Yammie's biggest achievement is spearing an r6 into the front of a Porsche, literally the worst person to listen to that I personally can think of.

MSPain posted:

I am getting a lot of conflicting information from every corner and I don't know what to believe. the truth is out there. In my heart of hearts I believe most of the modern japanese bikes look weird as hell and I wouldn't be excited to own one, which is not a good introduction to motorcycling even if they are the Correctest Choice.

Edit: I want to use this as an alternative to driving a car in and around Seattle. Probably no off-roading. Bopping around the city/surrounds, occasionally carrying a passenger or groceries.

Ok so I've bolded the relevant parts for you here, not much more I can do beyond the truth, can't lead a horse to water etc

Slavvy posted:

Your first bike is not your last bike. Looks, style, performance and how it sits in the showroom are all terrible metrics to gauge a learner bike by. This is an extremely typical learner-brained mistake caused by not really knowing what you like or what's good, it's how people end up with indian scouts and sportsters for their first bike. The stuff that matters is reliability, ease of use, lightness, skinny tyres, ABS if you care about that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly sounds like you need either a ~125cc scooter or an e-bike

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

in north america you pretty much need to start with a 300 to even think about merging onto highways though, im sure its possible, that being said i went grom -> r3 -> cb500x -> er6

if the way insurance here regarding second bikes was handled different id probably daily a grom around town

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: nm

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MSPain posted:

Something as nebulous as “exciting you” is another one of those learner brain things that Savvy mentioned. You’ll be loving excited just to be on two wheels! Don’t even think about a passenger yet, it’s nowhere near on your horizon. You can stick some sort of luggage on any bike so groceries are no problem.

If you want to ride around the city you want something light, slim, flickable and upright. Not a 450lb thing.

CB300R
Versys 300X
KLX300 Super Moto
Z400
MT03

Right now you’re also dealing with supply issues so it may be hard to find certain bikes if you’re buying new.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

its ok

you dont know what you dont know until you put time on the bike, i think ill keep my er6 for a while more but im eyeing up something like a v-strom 650 because i think it will suit what i want to do with a bike better, and im over the sexy looks of a "sport" bike and just want hard cases and a big windscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
there's a place nearby that sells kawasakis and hondas. I'll take a trip up there soon and look around. thanks for your help goons