Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As an opening move for increased consideration of others, maybe there should be a meta thread or a discord or something for discussing the discussion of the let's play. Surely that would be more appropriately targeted to people who care than ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The Heavensward trailer is a spoiler. You probably shouldn't watch that before you get to Heavensward.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Monarch posted:

No my argument is that you should show consideration to others. Fundamentally you can't decide for others what they do or don't care about. Think up any strawman you want but these conversations always start because someone got upset over having something spoiled for them.

I can assure you, this conversation was started by someone who was up-to-date and began scolding people under the premise of protecting Stormblood-era plot developments without there being any apparent need shown for such "consideration."

Edit: and a number of the most ridiculous examples getting brought up might sound like strawmen, and in a better world they would be, but they are not. They are references to specific incidents. That they sound like strawmen speaks volumes about the degree to which this issue has gotten out of hand.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 16, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

All trailers are spoilers. Even movie ones. Every day, millions of people get things spoiled for them. The destruction is unthinkable

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:gas:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

A Moose posted:

All trailers are spoilers. Even movie ones. Every day, millions of people get things spoiled for them. The destruction is unthinkable

Not really because most trailers nowadays edit scenes so much or even make up wholesale new fake stuff that you gain nothing. I can tell you a certain film that came out recently had zero trailers showing the actual plot.

(Which itself is a poison of spoiler culture, cause lying in promotional materials not to spoil the twist ends up being fake advertising and fucks you over if it turns out it was a different experience?).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

"You should show consideration for others", I demand, while offering no consideration for others myself

That's the funniest thing about this, really. Spoilerphobes think the entire internet should bend itself to accommodate them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

(Which itself is a poison of spoiler culture, cause lying in promotional materials not to spoil the twist ends up being fake advertising and fucks you over if it turns out it was a different experience?).

This seems incredibly melodramatic

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's the funniest thing about this, really. Spoilerphobes think the entire internet should bend itself to accommodate them.

pressing ctrl+p is apparently an unreasonable amount of effort

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Ok fine what consideration are you two asking for?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't act like you didn't start this four page argument

The post you scolded even used spoiler bars.

They pressed Ctrl+p and you still went after them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When people are being annoying whiny babies I don't want to give them even minor consideration, because they're being annoying and why would you want to encourage that?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arist posted:

This seems incredibly melodramatic

Well, I was also including stuff like keeping whatever actors/VA are working on a secret from them or even giving them fake stuff like Marvel or some videogame companies does, since it both lowers the quality of the performance due to a lack of context and it's absolutely dumb because it's gonna leak anyways because in any big enough project, there'll be someone who can't resist telling everyone they know a secret for clout.

The Monarch posted:

In this case, I'd say at least the LP'er who asked for no spoilers in their thread?

SirSamVimes posted:

wait what there's a shortcut for that holy poo poo

Can we just go back to housing discourse, every time we end up in a topic worse than before but somehow still not worse than the spoiler tread's discourse.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

In this case, I'd say at least the LP'er who asked for no spoilers in their thread?

Yes agreed (my post was in reply to Ibram Gaunt and Chillgamesh).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SirSamVimes posted:

This was the most important thing I learned from this whole stupid argument.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SirSamVimes posted:

It's even less of an effort to not cry post when someone posts something that isn't a spoiler.

Saying that someone in a trailer for a video game is in the video game isn't a spoiler. Even talking about an expac trailer, especially not here in thread for talking about that specific expac. Shut up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ok, talking about anything the gently caress else. I've been working on finishing leveling Summoner, which is fun now, and as part of that I'm doing a decent amount of PVP but I'm definitely not playing well in PVP. I'm not racking up the massive body count that SMN's reputation suggests I should, either in CC or Frontlines (which is just complete unfun chaos but is worth a lot of XP and maybe I'll get that Garo mount even though I've never been on the winning team) is there a trick to SMN in PVP? Also does anyone ever summon Phoenix or just Bahamut?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Now that's a big spoiler

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

rantmo posted:

Ok, talking about anything the gently caress else. I've been working on finishing leveling Summoner, which is fun now, and as part of that I'm doing a decent amount of PVP but I'm definitely not playing well in PVP. I'm not racking up the massive body count that SMN's reputation suggests I should, either in CC or Frontlines (which is just complete unfun chaos but is worth a lot of XP and maybe I'll get that Garo mount even though I've never been on the winning team) is there a trick to SMN in PVP? Also does anyone ever summon Phoenix or just Bahamut?

Last time I played summoner, I'd say Phoenix has situational uses in CC but usually bahamut is the better pick majority of the time. Its kill count in frontlines is entirely just dropping Bahamuts on murderballs. Otherwise, just keep summoning your poo poo everywhere, it's bound to hit groups especially in tunneled spaces.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Monarch posted:

Realizing that it is on you, not every other living person to avoid what you consider spoilers since most of the time it's completely unreasonable crap being considered spoilers. Turning every post into a CIA document because some people consider concepts like ability names or NPCs as major spoilers means you can never "Just use ctrl+p" or whatever disingenuous crap people think is a good defense. Literally no one is saying that you should be able to shout "Darth Vader is Luke's Dad" or whatever. unspoiled. But things like "expansion names" and "stuff that is in literally all the promotional material" are free game and if you don't like it..Don't come into discussion threads??? Or if something is almost a decade old, tough poo poo? Come back to the thread after you're done.

When Endwalker came out..I just. Didn't read any of the threads period until I was done to avoid being spoiled on stuff. It wasn't very hard.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 16, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As the general population has gotten better at neo-frontlines it's become harder to reliably have huge games as a lone summoner. You really need to coordinate multiple bahamuts simultaneously with your team to swing fights now. If you're interested in tryharding probably the single best thing you could do would be make a bahamut countdown macro to use in alliance chat

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ctrl+p is print preview...?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only good part of this stupid discussion is I learned the shortcut for spoilers in this forum.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kerrzhe posted:

ctrl+p is print preview...?

So you can print your post out, use a sharpie to redact any spoilers, scan it back and post it as an image.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Realizing that it is on you, not every other living person to avoid what you consider spoilers since most of the time it's completely unreasonable crap being considered spoilers.

It's what you would consider unreasonable. That's basically where this conversation starts and ends.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Realizing that it is on you, not every other living person to avoid what you consider spoilers since most of the time it's completely unreasonable crap being considered spoilers. Turning every post into a CIA document because some people consider concepts like ability names or NPCs as major spoilers means you can never "Just use ctrl+p" or whatever disingenuous crap people think is a good defense. Literally no one is saying that you should be able to shout "Darth Vader is Luke's Dad" or whatever. unspoiled. But things like "expansion names" and "stuff that is in literally all the promotional material" are free game and if you don't like it..Don't come into discussion threads??? Or if something is almost a decade old, tough poo poo? Come back to the thread after you're done.

I think that this is completely fair.

I do think that threads like this that are about media that has a major focus on story need to have a more consistent spoiler policy and that would do a whole loving lot to stamp out these stupid arguments.

There are no spoiler "rules" for this thread so you get this stupid petty arguments where people who post "spoilers" are considered assholes and people who don't want spoilers are seen as crybabies.

If you were to post the names of the EW trial bosses right when 6.0 dropped, you'd probably get everyone jumping on you for posting spoilers, but when is it okay to post it not under spoiler tags? 6.1? 7.0?

I don't think people should be screamed at for talking about Stormblood story beats untagged in this thread in 2022. But when does it become okay to do that?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am now aware that ctrl-p is the shortcut to put spoiler tags in the post itself, not a shortcut to automatically expose all spoilers when browsing the thread :downs:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kerrzhe posted:

i am now aware that ctrl-p is the shortcut to put spoiler tags in the post itself, not a shortcut to automatically expose all spoilers when browsing the thread :downs:

I also just learned this, so don't feel bad. I couldn't figure out why people were suggesting print preview over and over again.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I would simply not get spoiled

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
let's just make one thread per expansion and be done with it. barely even joking. who cares if the stormblood thread is low traffic: that will just reflect the reality that not that many people are currently in stormblood

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's probably the only half satisfactory solution. You can't appease both sides when you have people brand new to Heavensward, when that's 10 year old poo poo to the rest of us. I'm pro-spoiler bar, and this thread is generally really good when it comes to new stuff, but there's no way you can accommodate the entire playerbase unless every post was black bars, top to bottom.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cheetah7071 posted:

let's just make one thread per expansion and be done with it. barely even joking. who cares if the stormblood thread is low traffic: that will just reflect the reality that not that many people are currently in stormblood

One step closer to FFXIV dominating the subforum.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

is this the birth of the ff14 subforum

I'll head the caster thread

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:ohno:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Want a WAR thread where every single post is just "FELL CLEAVE"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tekopo posted:

Want a WAR thread where every single post is just "FELL CLEAVE"

"Just ran LDR as WAR, felt great, no notes"

"Hahaha yeah poo poo owns"

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

rantmo posted:

My general plan with in Frontline is to drop Bahamut on a large group of people/around an objective, then run and hide because if I'm in range to drop Bahamut then I'm also in range to get focused down. Coordination is great as mentioned because if you get multiple Summoners and/or White Mages to fire LBs at the same time, massive death will follow.

My other general thought is to always think about surviving. Bahamut and Slipstream usually rack up Battle High points for me and I'm trying to keep them, so I'm always thinking about if we're winning or losing a fight because if we're losing I'm going to start heading toward the back of our group to get out alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The DRK thread is in E/N for some reason, nobody questions it.