Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I always really liked that OG DX looks so... pedestrian. Almost everything looks pretty normal, and I think that's a really realistic view of what things will be like in the 2050s or whenever it is set (DX contradicts itself). It feels very believable and really grounds the setting, but also seems to reasonably extrapolate what stuff will be like. At the same token, I really like DXHR leaning into its aesthetic. It's not realistic or grounded at all, but it really commits and it looks great so I don't mind. Revision splits the difference but personally it falls short of what I like about both the art directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The thing about DXHR is that most of what you're seeing is through the lens of a trendy startup company that hit it big only recently, as opposed to sterile government facilities. It made enough sense to me that the areas were way more about aesthetic, since the augmentation bubble meant everyone had more money to throw around.

Of course you also get the problem of high paid business women using the same model as a homeless woman rummaging through the trash, but that's a different issue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's enough sci-fi set in absurd years I can ignore that it's 2027 in Human Revolution. They talked about that being like a peak of civilization and things falling apart rapidly to get to the world of 2052 in the original game which I can kinda buy.

Reality of course is better tech, and the art direction in HR and MD is so good I don't care. Beautiful games.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While we're talking about it, I sometimes think of the gallery of DXHR ceilings that someone one made; https://imgur.com/a/FDAbV it's worth browsing through. There are a lot of attractive games that won't give the time of day to details where players don't often look, and the ceiling is usually one of those places. It really is striking.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

While we're talking about it, I sometimes think of the gallery of DXHR ceilings that someone one made; https://imgur.com/a/FDAbV it's worth browsing through. There are a lot of attractive games that won't give the time of day to details where players don't often look, and the ceiling is usually one of those places. It really is striking.

A big reason why I couldn't get into Mankind: Divided was the lack of this kind of stuff.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 17, 2022

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I don't mind the new Revision maps so much, with the notable exception of the Paris catacombs. They were already the low point of OG DX, and all the rubble in Revision makes them so much worse. The hostages you have to rescue have from MJ12 have a lot of trouble with pathfinding, especially on stairs. All this with Tong still yammering in your ear!

I don't hate the major overhauls to the city areas, though. There's unused dialogue for the Hell's Kitchen chemical insertion plant if you get inside without talking to Smuggler, which isn't possible in vanilla. Ford is supposed to reappear at Smuggler's place in mission 8 when you come back from Hong Kong, giving some really interesting lore about the virus and an aug upgrade canister.

GMDXv10 has a few things going for it; some of the new perks are cool, the sawed-off's new model and SFX make it far more satisfying to use, and I am all about the overhaul to how many mods each weapon can take. It still irritates me that the vanilla pistol and sniper rifle max out at 11 bullets per clip, rather than something reasonable like 12 and 10 respectively.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I'd like if Revision copied the save system of GMDX hardcore. The one where you can only save in certain spots, if I remember it right.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I just started a Deus Ex Revision game with whatever the default settings are. I'm going to fire this up every 5 years until I'm dead, aren't I?

:haw:

Mostly I'm just happy it runs well in 2022 even though it's so old.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I'm going to fire this up every 6 months

:hmmyes:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Already reached the point where I'm :ohdear: about what augmentations to select & which mods to put on which weapons lol

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Savage.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Quit screwing around.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm overdue for a playthrough. What are the go to mods to use in TYOOL2022? any paths or dialogue branches I should try?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I were to play this again, I would probably try Revision with vanilla maps with a female JC. But that's just because I haven't tried those before. At the moment I feel like GMDX v9 is the best way to play. Maybe v10 is better but I feel like the guy who made GMDX had a pretty cohesive vision and I can't imagine the v10 crew being able to improve on that in a significant way. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Did you know there's a Deus Ex randomizer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsoIKbn_suE

https://github.com/Die4Ever/deus-ex-randomizer/releases

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I did know that!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I didn't! Might try it

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Finally finished a mod for upscaling all textures in Deus Ex. Turns out it was a lot easier than I thought with the Direct3D 10 Renderer. It also supports displacement maps!

To install, just unzip in your Deus Ex/Textures directory. You need to be using Kentie's Direct3D10 renderer or the Direct3D11 renderer that's floating around somewhere. This contains high-res versions of all textures as well as normal and displacement maps for most of them.

Get it here

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Butterwagon posted:

Finally finished a mod for upscaling all textures in Deus Ex. Turns out it was a lot easier than I thought with the Direct3D 10 Renderer. It also supports displacement maps!

To install, just unzip in your Deus Ex/Textures directory. You need to be using Kentie's Direct3D10 renderer or the Direct3D11 renderer that's floating around somewhere. This contains high-res versions of all textures as well as normal and displacement maps for most of them.

Get it here

Any chance that you could upload a demo to YouTube or Daily Motion?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Butterwagon posted:

Get it here

Cool, will need to give it a go.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Any chance that you could upload a demo to YouTube or Daily Motion?

No, but I can post some screenshots!

Right with high-res

Left with high-res

Before:

After:

Butterwagon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 1, 2022

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Looks nice!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pakled posted:

I had to look it up but Embracer Group owns Gearbox, THQ Nordic, Deep Silver, and Dark Horse Comics among other things
aside from Borderlands stuff that’s all solidly budget eurojank game dev. Can’t wait to see Deus Ex get the Gat Out of Hell treatment

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

site posted:

there's cyberpunk

How dare you speak that name in this house

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Basic Chunnel posted:

They were speaking about games that "complicate things that should be simple and simplify things that should be complicated" and C2077 does fit that bill, as a full open world game with way more gigs and side activities than a dying person should be able to do.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Butterwagon posted:

No, but I can post some screenshots!

Right with high-res

Left with high-res

Before:

After:

I'll have you know this post is what got me out of bed today.

I couldn't make out any difference in details on a two inch wide phone screen.

(It looks great! The first two images do highlight that the inventory icons haven't been changed, since the dividing line goes down to the tool belt. Are those easily updated? Could they support a smoother or more detailed set of images, or were they designed with a cap of ... 32x32 or 64x64 or whatever they are?)

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Vavrek posted:

I'll have you know this post is what got me out of bed today.

I couldn't make out any difference in details on a two inch wide phone screen.

(It looks great! The first two images do highlight that the inventory icons haven't been changed, since the dividing line goes down to the tool belt. Are those easily updated? Could they support a smoother or more detailed set of images, or were they designed with a cap of ... 32x32 or 64x64 or whatever they are?)

Are you the same Vavrek that used to post on the old Planet Deus Ex forums?

Anyway I am not sure about updating the inventory icons. It's been about a year since I messed with any of that and my memory is that there's no straightforward way to do it. It's probably possible but I have no idea how and no time at the moment to look into it. Maybe one of the wizards who worked on The Nameless Mod would know.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Butterwagon posted:

Are you the same Vavrek that used to post on the old Planet Deus Ex forums?
:tipshat:

It was my first online community. I didn't voice the character named after me in TNM, though, and, sadly/hilariously, have never actually played far enough to see that character. I was literally on the quest to find him and they released a patch which broke save compatibility. I assumed I'd just replay the first half of the game and ... never did. It's on my short list of games to get around to soonish, but "soonish" might mean the next five years at this rate ...

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Vavrek posted:

:tipshat:

It was my first online community. I didn't voice the character named after me in TNM, though, and, sadly/hilariously, have never actually played far enough to see that character. I was literally on the quest to find him and they released a patch which broke save compatibility. I assumed I'd just replay the first half of the game and ... never did. It's on my short list of games to get around to soonish, but "soonish" might mean the next five years at this rate ...

That's wild. That was my first online forum but I barely ever posted. I don't even remember my screenname from back then; I was like 12. Glad you're still around!

I also just uploaded an updated version of higher-res skins for all the items, decorations, and characters.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/crispy-deus-ex/addons/skin-pack3

Also, I just found out about the Helios texture overhaul which does the same thing I did but probably better because it looks like actual artists worked on it.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/helios-texture-overhaul

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Butterwagon posted:

Also, I just found out about the Helios texture overhaul which does the same thing I did but probably better because it looks like actual artists worked on it.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/helios-texture-overhaul

Hm, no, theirs looks like awful oversharpened garbage actually. And they made literally everything darker for some reason.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Basic Chunnel posted:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Butterwagon posted:

So I'm making a mod for Deus Ex.

E: Repo link: https://github.com/butterwagon69/NerdMod

how hows it going with NerdMod?

I've been following the updates in this thread, but i haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I see a recent commit in this github repo, so I'm wondering if there's gonna be some more changes soon, or if it's more-or-less the way you want it already.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

how hows it going with NerdMod?

I haven't had much time to work on it these days. It's definitely playable but has a couple of visual bugs and melee weapons don't work for NPCs for some reason. It's neat to know someone has tried it though!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

They were speaking about games that "complicate things that should be simple and simplify things that should be complicated" and C2077 does fit that bill, as a full open world game with way more gigs and side activities than a dying person should be able to do.

Rhetoric? And you believe it??

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Basic Chunnel posted:

Rhetoric? And you believe it??

You underestimate players' love of freedom.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Walker posted:

You underestimate players' love of freedom.

A bunch of pretentious old men, playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A bunch of pretentious old men, playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago.

Electronic Arts old men. warning! warning!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I just found out that the first level they worked on was the Whitehouse, which was obviously cut. I wonder where that would have fit in the story

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
In the game files, Hong Kong is mission 6 while the next trip to NY is mission 8. Mission 7, the White House, was meant to catch you up on what has happened while Tong was rambling about Adam Weishaupt: Mead is infected, MJ12 has taken over the government, martial law is in effect.
Apparently the building itself was so large the engine couldn't handle it (laughs in Invisible War) but it was almost complete before finally getting cut about six months before launch.
More info on the DX fan wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't know they'd showed it at E3, I wish there were a recording of that.