Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Would stopping the clock really make the overall runtime shorter? Football’s nice because it’s just 90 minutes, give or take. If you hit pause for every stoppage it feels like the whole thing can spiral out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Vegetable posted:

Would stopping the clock really make the overall runtime shorter? Football’s nice because it’s just 90 minutes, give or take. If you hit pause for every stoppage it feels like the whole thing can spiral out of control.

That depends on what you set the pure playing time at op. Most people agree that if you set it at 30 to 35 minutes you'll end up with roughly 90 minutes per game, only there will be more actual football being played during those 90 minutes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Yeah this is a real problem to consider. In basketball they found recently that in close games the last two minutes of game time can take about half an hour to play because teams are constantly fouling each other and calling timeouts, which keeps stopping the clock after like 0.5 seconds of game time have elapsed.

imo football should stay as-is for the game clock but refs should strictly enforce rules around timewasting. Yellow cards for everybody and don't be shy about sending players off for timewasting when they've already got a yellow.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

vyelkin posted:

Yeah this is a real problem to consider. In basketball they found recently that in close games the last two minutes of game time can take about half an hour to play because teams are constantly fouling each other and calling timeouts, which keeps stopping the clock after like 0.5 seconds of game time have elapsed.

This is not an issue in football because there are no timeouts op.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

Nothing would change about this op, except that the breaks in play would become SHORTER since time wasting will come totally useless, i.e. no more fake injuries, keepers keeping the ball as long as possible, etc. The game would become much faster.

FIFA could do this now as well? 🤷 This is not the argument at all though, and has nothing to do with the idea of pure playing time as such.

Lol the A League implemented drinks breaks solely to add in commercials and that was without a stopped clock, you’re dreaming if you think an actual clock stoppage won’t be monetized

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

nawilo_420 posted:

This is not an issue in football because there are no timeouts op.

There are still fouls, penalties, corners, offside calls, VAR, etc., and lol if you think they wouldn't take the chance to introduce timeouts at some point in the future as soon as it wouldn't affect the game clock.

Also for all that we're all concerned about timewasting, one side having incentive to timewaste means the other side doesn't and gets on with it quickly. For example, if the clock is paused for every throw-in, then the team chasing a game in the 89th minute won't be taking throw-ins after half a second to get on with the game, they'll be waiting to get every player in the right position before chucking the thing. Stopping the game clock makes sense to solve some current problems with the flow of the game, but is likely to also introduce entirely new problems.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ilmucche posted:

I think the bbc posted how much average gametime there was for each team but I can't find it again

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61342349

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

nawilo_420 posted:

Stopping the clock any time the ball is not in play, i.e anytime the ref blows his whistle. You'd have to decide how long a half should be though, most experts say 30-35 minutes would work. So you'd have 30 minutes pure playing time.

Honestly I really don't understand how this has not been implemented yet, because it would instantly take care of time wasting and make the game so much better. It happens in many other sports now too.

I see thanks

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Our resident fat swiss fraud forgot to mention how it turned out this was some kind of trial balloon, and definitely not an official Dutch FA plan.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Pure Play Time is brought to you by the Advanced Soccer Stats community. Do you ever feel blue, well, out of the blue? Dextracopicolo can help you during those days! Consult your physician for a test. And back we are to Pure Play Time soccer! Sponsored by KFC!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I forget which idiot American sport has the literal “tv time out” stoppage, but that’s exactly where clock stoppages will end up. I mean it’s worth a trial but there is no way a league doesn’t take money from some company to shove ads in, and sneakily implement a “minimum stoppage” so that they can sell quantized air time during matches.

Miraculously I have seen less of this on American coverage, but in Italy certain broadcasters put in 5 second commercials when the ball gets kicked in to the stands or a player is taking his time getting to a throw in. There are usually at least a few of these per match and while its really short it’s very annoying. The water breaks in the hotter months (pronounced “cooleen brehk” of course) are already being filled in with longer versions of these.

I think the Pure Play idea in a world where we weren’t bombarded with advertising would be great, but we all know how the leagues and tv companies operate.

It would be interesting to see how going to the match would be changed. Like does the team play some poo poo over the stadium announcement system or what?

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 8, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hockey (or ice hockey as idiots call it) has tv timeouts but they happen only on a regular stoppage in play. As many stoppages can happen as normal until x minutes are played then the next stoppage is a tv timeout

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

Hockey (or ice hockey as idiots call it) has tv timeouts but they happen only on a regular stoppage in play. As many stoppages can happen as normal until x minutes are played then the next stoppage is a tv timeout

This is how college football and basketball also work (obviously if your game is not on TV then you dont have to deal with this if you're there; if you are in person for a televised game it's real annoying)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The NBA has a rule where if too many minutes pass in a quarter without either team calling a timeout then the refs call a timeout to show commercials.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Koesj posted:

Our resident fat swiss fraud forgot to mention how it turned out this was some kind of trial balloon, and definitely not an official Dutch FA plan.

Don't forget he's a bald fraud too

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB7SHZ3cdBY

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Gigi Galli posted:

I forget which idiot American sport has the literal “tv time out” stoppage

It's pretty much all of them, OP

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
The real fuckery is getting rid of throw ins and replacing them with kick ins. Could you imagine a world without Arsenal fancy dans developing a trauma response to pictures of Rory delap?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Wouldn't kick-ins kinda make corners pointless, especially if offside doesn't apply?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

qsvui posted:

Wouldn't kick-ins kinda make corners pointless, especially if offside doesn't apply?

One foot must be stationary I think, so no run up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When they’re at it maybe they can stop teams stealing three or four meters every throw-in.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What's funny to me about these Dutch FA ideas is that some of them were literally ideas invented during the old cocaine & disco NASL 1.0 of the 1970s, so I guess what's viewed as old and tacky can indeed become new again.

Next we'll hear that they're trialing a 35-meter offside line.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 11, 2022

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

djssniper posted:

One foot must be stationary I think, so no run up

Reading this post reminded me of Mosquera's goal from the libertadores years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1iE2cV22Uk

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

One of the reasons I like football so much compared to other sports is it feels less, I dunno, mechanical if that makes sense? Having 'pure playing' time is just one more step to trying to control absolutely every tiny detail of the game to millimetre precision.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I wouldn't mind splitting the difference and having the "pure playing time" clock during stoppage time in each half to cut down on time wasting during what can be the most important times of a game, but stopping the clock for a few seconds for throw-ins is a bit meh.

It would be like stopping the clock after every score in basketball until the other team inbounds the ball, which is generally not a thing that happens.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 12, 2022

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Alctel posted:

One of the reasons I like football so much compared to other sports is it feels less, I dunno, mechanical if that makes sense? Having 'pure playing' time is just one more step to trying to control absolutely every tiny detail of the game to millimetre precision.

It makes sense to me, yeah. One of the things I've noticed is that, for example, on throwins or free kicks the ball will move farther away from the spot it went out of bounds or where the foul happened than would ever be allowed in American sports and as long as it's not too wild everyone's like yeah that's fine get on with it

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
The U.S. state of Montana must have dug deep into their pockets to get the Denver bid.

https://twitter.com/fifaworldcup/status/1537419490958491649?s=21&t=ELk4jsgvVj_W3CYUIb2F0w

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

The U.S. state of Montana must have dug deep into their pockets to get the Denver bid.

https://twitter.com/fifaworldcup/status/1537419490958491649?s=21&t=ELk4jsgvVj_W3CYUIb2F0w

That's big Stan kroenkes music surely?

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Rooting for Dallas, Oklahoma myself

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Is that a poo poo map or the places the "franchises" have moved to

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Is that a poo poo map or the places the "franchises" have moved to

I'm really pulling for KC otherwise my ability to see a game is going to start involving flights and hotels.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We need games at Denver so managers can blame the altitude for their teams playing like dogshit, and some in Miami so they can blame the humidity

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Jack Charlton shirt tie and baseball cap dress code mandatory for all touchline personnel

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Just giving a FIFA hat and a clipboard to random Americans with no clue about football so they can be a menace on the sidelines.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This Telemudo lady is so fake sounding on the FIFA+ broadcast.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Plus, with an extensive knowledge of Geography. Atlanta is apparently very centrally located, which is great for the fans.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Diana Ross is doing Glastonbury this year, still very much active. Do you think they could convince her to take another penalty

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

the sex ghost posted:

Diana Ross is doing Glastonbury this year, still very much active. Do you think they could convince her to take another penalty

Only if Italy calls up Roberto Baggio to also recreate his...assuming they don't gently caress up two qualifications in a row

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
loving lol. I just looked at the division of countries for the 2026 world cup. Concacaf gets the same number as Conmebol. Both Asia and Africa have more slots. Can't wait for Tahiti vs Panama as a world cup match.