Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's time to get on the boat leaving middle earth. Crossing the sea to the ralph thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am iron lung. *breath*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kalel posted:

is this the end of RLM? Are we finally free????

When a dumb Midwestern schlub tells you they're a hack fraud, believe them.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zeluth posted:

I am iron lung. *breath*

*sigh* ain't we all, buddy, ain't we all

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

i cant beleive this is one hour and no mention of Woodoo Hide

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

kalel posted:

is this the end of RLM? Are we finally free????

How quickly people forget about Independence Day Resurgence, Jurassic World and Star Trek Beyond.

Mike has always had his weak moments when he just wants to bury his face in hollywood slop.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cacator posted:

I watched ID4-2 on a plane and they edited out the explosions. I have no doubt it was better that way.

I watched X men 2 on a plane and they cut out the entire xmen plane sequence. They were at the ice guy's parents house, then they were suddenly in a field with Magneto and Mystique

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Worst angsty edgelord assassin menagerie film:

Smokin' Aces or Polar?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Smokin Aces is like a Kubrick film next to Polar lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

X JAKK posted:

Smokin' Aces or Polar?

The Gentlemen

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

How quickly people forget about Independence Day Resurgence, Jurassic World and Star Trek Beyond.

Mike has always had his weak moments when he just wants to bury his face in hollywood slop.

Yeah but this is the guy who made The prequel reviews.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

X JAKK posted:

Smokin' Aces or Polar?

polar is way worse

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DaysBefore posted:

I wonder which hack first suggested Vader's evil lava castle

Apparently it was a Lucas original concept:

quote:

“We have to give Vader another environment, either another Death Star-type Imperial City or some kind of cave,” Lucas told Brackett during their initial conference in November 1977.

“Might be nice to give Vader a little castle on a rock in the middle of the ocean. One way to see him would be in a tall, dark tower, very narrow in a lava flow, dark, red, and burning, almost like hell. He’d be up in the tower with his gremlin, goblin-type gargoyles surrounding him. His pets.”

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that mike and rich actively like it more because it looks cheap

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LanceHunter posted:

honestly lucas owns. give vader some gargoyle friends why not

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Revolver if we're going with bottom bin Guy Ritchie crap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Revolver if we're going with bottom bin Guy Ritchie crap.

Thought The Gentlemen was much worse tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just watched The Core for the first time and spent the whole time thinking how much better it would have been if Jerry Bruckheimer had made it

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

It's good that Mike enjoyed Obi-wan, his hopes and expectations are up, and he can be broken all over again

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Didn't Mike also go "it was fine" or "I enjoyed it" about nearly every single Disney Marvel moopie? I know he disliked some of the non-Disney made superhero punchman moopies, but I feel like he's basically been "eh, it was OK" about the ones Disney's made.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean to be fair here, Mike seems to just think it's kind of enjoyable schlock and that it's bad and that a second season is all but guaranteed to be terrible. I don't think there's any delusions going on here other than really low expectations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Man, the Drink Your Ovaltine analogy really worked for me. Everything is devoid of meaning just prepping you for the next season of the thing...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Didn't Mike also go "it was fine" or "I enjoyed it" about nearly every single Disney Marvel moopie? I know he disliked some of the non-Disney made superhero punchman moopies, but I feel like he's basically been "eh, it was OK" about the ones Disney's made.

Mike still has grades between terrible and good which is very confusing to some people

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Someone in the youtube comments put it quite well: The prequel reviews were anger, now they've finally made it all the way to acceptance.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sydney Bottocks posted:

yeah, this isn't really surprising. the way he describes what he likes about it is very funny to me though

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

this made me think of the "fly, monkeys, flyyyy" scene in wizard of oz but with Darth Vader

but after thinking about it for a bit, isn't wizard of oz basically just a new hope?

-plucky farm kid who hates farming goes on an adventure to a literal new world
-big musical moment where they stare out towards the horizon
-on their first outing they're greeted by a magical mentor with a magic stick
-has a direct connection to the magical antagonist who is clad in black, has a slightly different magic stick, has bad skin, and who can defy gravity
-meets new friends along the way, including a man made of metal, a giant hairy beast who serves as comic relief, and a small companion who the hero talks to but the audience can't understand
-there's a rescue of a damsel in distress from a prison involving impersonation of the guards
-beloved property known for landmark special effects

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Mike hasn't seen the Lighthouse but is willing to watch the obi-wan show. this man is a hack and a fraud and should be locked up.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they kind of diverge wildly in the third act but you see my point

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kalel posted:

this made me think of the "fly, monkeys, flyyyy" scene in wizard of oz but with Darth Vader

but after thinking about it for a bit, isn't wizard of oz basically just a new hope?

-plucky farm kid who hates farming goes on an adventure to a literal new world
-big musical moment where they stare out towards the horizon
-on their first outing they're greeted by a magical mentor with a magic stick
-has a direct connection to the magical antagonist who is clad in black, has a slightly different magic stick, has bad skin, and who can defy gravity
-meets new friends along the way, including a man made of metal, a giant hairy beast who serves as comic relief, and a small companion who the hero talks to but the audience can't understand
-there's a rescue of a damsel in distress from a prison involving impersonation of the guards
-beloved property known for landmark special effects

We get it, you're a yugioh card designer

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Jay and Mike get fixated on whether Leia knew Obi-Wan before A New Hope but don't mention contradictions like how Luke and Leia's mother is supposed to be alive when Leia is a kid yet also dies in Episode III.

George Lucas forgot his own stories, too. The series is full of retcon garbage. Stop watching Star Wars!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

George Lucas has nothing to do with the current crop of SW garbage. He made six classics, got paid a cool 4 billi and split.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

why would you expect them to mention that

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i made two post

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

George Lucas has nothing to do with the current crop of SW garbage. He made six classics, got paid a cool 4 billi and split.

Episode 4, Episode 5, THX1138... I'm struggling to name the other 3

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The prequels are classics, if you take away the clics!!!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AHH F/UGH posted:

He didn't even direct Episode 5! Irvin Kershner did

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lmao i'm legit nervous to watch this content now i feel like i'm gearing up to listen to two guys at the old folks home reminisce about how funny it was in the new star wars when the cartoon rabbit stepped in the poopy while their nurse tries to get them ready for their nap

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

red tails was fuckin sick

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Red Tails, American Graffiti, The Holiday Special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

That DICK! posted:

why would you expect them to mention that

Not that I expect them to but it's another example of Leia's character and her dialogue that got changed by another movie or show, which is exactly on topic for what they were discussing.