Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Surprise surprise he’s a sex pest too

https://twitter.com/madd_minx/status/1535673335627100162?s=21

I almost feel bad about satine since I very casually knew her but didn’t know about the underlying poo poo she pulled with people

Him I never knew where the gently caress he crawled out of and always struck me as a narcissistic Affliction douchenozzle, but pandering to whatever set he could latch onto which happened to be this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

On Fosters stream there was a couple of cosplayers that had missfortune of knowing Stone in pre-Satine time and they had a lot to say about both his manipulation tactics and way he treats people. One of them mentioned Stone used to date 20 year old whom he manipulated hard for sex while she was clearly in love with the dude. In general there are no lows I do not expect from this mf.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Raged posted:

Just finished episode 3 and I like it so far but it feels like the DnD equivalent of an on-rails shooter. I understand that there is limited time to get through the main points of the story and that is why it is going like this.

I like Brennan and will probably watch some of his other stuff after this wraps up.

Honestly after all the doing nothing from the latter half of C2 into C3 I’m thrilled to have a little railroading

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alan Smithee posted:

Surprise surprise he’s a sex pest too

https://twitter.com/madd_minx/status/1535673335627100162?s=21

I almost feel bad about satine since I very casually knew her but didn’t know about the underlying poo poo she pulled with people

Him I never knew where the gently caress he crawled out of and always struck me as a narcissistic Affliction douchenozzle, but pandering to whatever set he could latch onto which happened to be this one

goddamn that dude is a complete psycho

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Raged posted:

Just finished episode 3 and I like it so far but it feels like the DnD equivalent of an on-rails shooter. I understand that there is limited time to get through the main points of the story and that is why it is going like this.

I like Brennan and will probably watch some of his other stuff after this wraps up.

I think the main issues are threefold. Since it's a high level game he needs to impose actual challenges for a group consisting almost entirely of 14th level primary spellcasters and narrative to match, hence why that combat at the top of episode 3 was just so dense and they are around so many highly important things.

The other thing compared to Aabria's EXU is that the story is twice as dense and they have half the time to tell it. It makes sense considering this is basically a horror themed miniseries, you can only keep ratcheting up the dread so much before something has to give and I think Brennan handled that aspect masterfully. Dude worked at an improv summer camp for years and years, it makes sense that the dude can tell a good campfire horror story.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

What do we think happened with Vespin? Was he manipulated into performing an ascension ritual that was flawed to get Asmodeus to where he is now? And why was the tree so drat aggressive?

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 15, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

rocketrobot posted:

What do we think happened with Vespin? Was he manipulated into performing an ascension ritual that was flawed to get Asmodeus to where he is now? And why was the tree so drat aggressive?

If I'm reading the last episode right - the tree is part of the barrier for the betrayer gods. It siphons off part of the battery power to maintain whatever part of the seal. Hence why once Aabria turned the machine off in episode 2 the tree started eating magic and now apparently magic users to maintain whatever magical energy draw it needs. I'm guessing had Aabria succeeded in destroying the tree last episode things would of gone mega-bad.

Re: Vespin. I don't think he did an ascension ritual, or if he did, not with the purpose of overthrowing Asmodeus. I think he might of just cracked the barrier enough that Asmodeus power could start leaking out that they could tap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
hmm, so this was a pseudo divine gate, but just one that sealed away the betrayer deities.

I wonder if that gently caress off tree that Melora planted in the Xhorhas wastelands is what is the new "focus" or tree for the current divine gate around Exandria is.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I got the impression that the tree wasn't specifically to do with the betrayers - it was a general protection against extra-planar influence from anywhere. Vespin broke the seal on the betrayers, which was unrelated to the tree. The tree ended up acting as a fail-safe against this, and managed to temporarily prevent the betrayers from physically entering Exandria, but they were close enough that they could start spreading their influence directly; corrupting people and sending a few devils through the cracks to aid with their schemes.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gIWfb3hTkM

"Goosh! Goosh! Goooooooosh."

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Ashley and Liam abandon all pretence of subtlety while Travis struggles to maintain a straight face.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Rahul posted:

I got the impression that the tree wasn't specifically to do with the betrayers - it was a general protection against extra-planar influence from anywhere. Vespin broke the seal on the betrayers, which was unrelated to the tree. The tree ended up acting as a fail-safe against this, and managed to temporarily prevent the betrayers from physically entering Exandria, but they were close enough that they could start spreading their influence directly; corrupting people and sending a few devils through the cracks to aid with their schemes.

This was also the impression I got, which explains why Laerryn's toy was caught up in the branches when she attempted to summon it back and why Evandrin got sick when they apparently tested planar travel on him - some part of his body or soul was caught up in the tree. I also think Dexo is right and that this tree is a pseudo-Divine Gate and may well be where the good-aligned gods get the idea.

As for why the tree is so aggressive, I assume it's just a defense mechanism against wizards trying to gently caress with it. It didn't do anything until Patia put her hand on it and started 'reading' it and the only people it stabbed were her and Quay (who was also caught up in it due to touching Patia).

It's unclear on what exactly Vespin's goal was at this point - if he was actually trying to free the Betrayer Gods then he certainly succeeded, but honestly I wonder if he was being genuine when we saw him on the recording talking with those other two people. That is, if he really thought the best idea was supplanting a Betrayer God and replacing them with a less evil one. It's entirely possible that Vespin is remembered as one of Exandria's greatest villains in spite of trying to do something good, just because his failed attempt led directly to great evil being unleashed (because you come at the king, you best not miss).

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
gotta long one tonight:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1537556055885873152

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Oh yeah, definitely could’ve benefited from a couple more episodes then.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/rosabelland/status/1537603162109923328

Adorable

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:frogsiren: Look out!!! It's Exandria Unlimited Calamity Episode 4 (of 4) and it's coming right at us!!! :frogsiren:

I'm gonna have to catch the VOD for this one but I wish everyone a happy posting :)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I think everything will turn out juuuuust fine.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I am ready to die

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
guys, uh, the runtime is... 6 HOURS

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There's gonna be some murderin' and then there's gonna be some more murderin'

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
pop that arm right off at the elbow

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We have now left the loving Around portion of our story and have reached the Finding Out section.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Questions you never want to hear your DM ask: "Where is your arm weakest? At the elbow or the shoulder?"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

"You want to fail this check" is something you hear when you're in a realterribad situation.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Man they are getting hosed UP right off the bat.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
how is this episode going be that long when all their items are exploding ON THEIR drat BODIES

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

ouch

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
"Now we can deal with the fire."

EDIT: "How many dice is that you gently caress?"

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 17, 2022

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lmao I've heard "Hey, how many dice is that you gently caress?" so many drat times in that same exact way

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It's been a half hour.
They have not resolved the first second of narrative time.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
PATIA'S loving DEAD.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Patia dead in the first second of this session.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

:stare:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

How is this going to be 6.5 hours? There has to be something else happening.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Tree falls, party dies

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This episode is an hour of killing everyone and five hours of The Adventures of Travis Willingham, The Only One With Enough Sense To GTFO

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

"Is this a spell effect?!"

"No, this is physics."

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Travis is just ecstatic that the party is dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

C A L A M I T Y