Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

clean ayers act posted:

Torts hated being on espn so much he voluntarily agreed to go to philly lol

This is a actually amazing to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
David Quinn will be hired in 2 years.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jack Johnson has played over 1000 NHL games

He was pretty highly touted as a prospect and halfway decent at first I think.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I hope he punches Carchidi

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I would say the potential downside to this move for Vegas is that LTIR players contracts still count against the cap in the off-season and you are only allowed to exceed the cap by a maximum of 10% in the off-season..
LTIR absolutely can be used in the offseason. There's probably some issues with maximizing it if you want to scrape every dollar possible, but this comes up all the time
https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq#offseason

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I have nothing to base this off, but I feel like Torts is going to loving hate Travis Konecny

Kale
May 14, 2010

Am I missing something here. Why did Vegas trade Dadonov for an essentially dead player while I was at work today?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Welcome back, Torts. I hope you do good things when you're not coaching against my team.

Rangers do thing:

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1537555616180363264

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kale posted:

Am I missing something here. Why did Vegas trade Dadonov for an essentially dead player while I was at work today?

because they can bury him on LTIR, and Vegas is ~$3m over the cap for this coming season with only 16 players under contract

Kale
May 14, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

because they can bury him on LTIR, and Vegas is ~$3m over the cap for this coming season with only 16 players under contract

Oh one of those situations. A books trade rather than player trade.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Praying for Weber to receive a couple magical cadaver ankles and heal enough to suit up for the Golden Knights and absolutely gently caress the team up cap-wise

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://twitter.com/BDubi17/status/1537591435469459463

lol

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
As a fan of a team that went from Alain Vigneault to John Tortorella...

Good loving luck. Hopefully Torts will at least try and fight an opposing coach so you can at least be entertained a bit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Worst that happens is the Flyers tank for Bedard, who they pass on for a someone who looks like a thumb

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Isnt this the third team to bring in Torts after firing AV? Do people really think the third time will be different?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Man I dunno, I don't think getting bottom of the lineup guys or AHLers through the draft is particularly valuable. You can sign those guys for basically nothing every single year. I think it's an argument for pro scouting more than amateur scouting.

You don't just draft grinders though. The forecasting models don't just identify borderline scrubs that would be useless. They just increase the frequency at which a draft pick hits across the board. Some will be scrubs. Some will be consistent roster plates. A few will be superstars. The more you hit the higher your chances of that all important final category.

Assume you draft quality players at the same rate between traditional scouting and models. Say for every five guys you draft that play 100 games one is what you would consider a top six/top two pairing type. If a statistical approach can give you a success rate of just one more NHLer per draft, you add an extra quality player for free every few drafts. That's if your model is just marginally better than traditional scouting. Oftentimes they've been shown to be much, much better and teams basically talk themselves out of drafting good players because they skate funny or quit on combine drills.

Over time that adds up significantly. Get a bit of luck and you run three or four drafts like that consecutively and you have a powerhouse on your team with zero additional roster construction. If nothing else you've stockpiled a significant amount of cost controlled trade capital.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Weber is retired AFAIK and won't count against the cap, but does Vegas still have to pay him his salary? If so, then they've essentially paid Montreal a lot of money to take Dadanov's contract and free up desperately needed cap space.

Vegas actually save 500k overall.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

T-Bone posted:

Yeah of course, but also just using offensive production is pretty rudimentary as well...what's really needed is better analytics in leagues under the NHL. If someone just tried to rank NHL players by production it would be a lovely pro model, there's a ton more that could be gleaned if a NHL team had the resources/drive to do advanced statistical analysis on the CHL/NCAA/USHL/Tier 1-2 Euro Leagues.

ThinkTank posted:

We definitely need better stats everywhere. I don't think anyone refutes that. The point is that just sorting by standardized point totals like NHLe is consistently significantly better than CSS lists.
Correct, the irony of the stats nerds concluding points don't matter, trust me Nichushkin and his 27p is more valuable than Draisaitl's 110p, is the dearth of other tracked stats in the lower leagues makes points the most predictive objective measure of a prospect's success. But the stats people absolutely recognize how rudimentary it is and they're to first to wish for more data to play with.
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1537462316551348224?s=20&t=XoSNM4T-dUTM3Esi0Uy9kg
Point 2 is what I was getting at. Obviously a prospect's ability to rack up points in the NHL is a great way to predict their ability to put up points in the NHL, and their ability to rack up points in the AHL is more predictive than their ability to rack up points in the OHL, etc. But what weight do you place on those points based on the league and the player's age? William Eklund looked like a sure thing, 70% chance of a star based on his 23p in 40gp as an 18 year old in the SHL. Almost unprecedented. Yet his points regressed and from the eye test he looked like the exact same player he was last year. Seider's and Raymond's NHLe looked like poo poo in their draft year but they appear to have hit. Determining the right weight is just harder in the SHL and DEL etc. where you have (alot) less data to work with.
There's a great episode of one of those behind the scenes shows where Tortorella gives a teary-eyed pregame speech during his last game (as a Blue Jacket, I think), and I'm waiting for the players to console him, and... nothing comes. Just blank stares and silence (edit: one of the players laughs!). I chalked it up to hockey players being robots and having all the empathy drilled out of them by the time they're preteens, but I think there may have been a sentiment of 'good, gently caress this guy' in the room.

Keith Mars fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 17, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Furnaceface posted:

Isnt this the third team to bring in Torts after firing AV? Do people really think the third time will be different?

Rangers brought in AV after firing torts

So, second team (first being Vancouver)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/novy_williams/status/1537616359458328576

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Torts needs 27 wins to get into the Top 10 in all-time wins assuming nobody hires Babcock.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Torts needs 27 wins to get into the Top 10 in all-time wins assuming nobody hires Babcock.

Paul Maurice is 7th on this list. 10th is no great achievement

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

reportedly the buyer is Bill Haslam. multi-billionaire who made his money from running Pilot truck stops, former TN governor, and a Tennessee Vols mega-booster who infamously tried to get Greg Schiano hired as head ball coach. this resulted in a fan revolt and massive protests in Knoxville.

his brother Jimmy owns the Browns and reportedly decided to draft Johnny Manziel because a homeless man told him to do so. he's now signed DeShaun "Accused Of Sexual Assault By 27 Women" Watson as QB.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Troy Queef posted:

his brother Jimmy owns the Browns and reportedly decided to draft Johnny Manziel because a homeless man told him to do so. he's now signed DeShaun "Accused Of Sexual Assault By 27 Women" Watson as QB.

He didn't just trade a bunch of picks for a serial rapist, he also gave him a $230 million contract that is the first ever fully guaranteed contract in NFL history, royally pissing off the other 31 owners.

The Haslam brothers basically dream of growing up to be Donald Trump.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Troy Queef posted:

reportedly the buyer is Bill Haslam. multi-billionaire who made his money from running Pilot truck stops, former TN governor, and a Tennessee Vols mega-booster who infamously tried to get Greg Schiano hired as head ball coach. this resulted in a fan revolt and massive protests in Knoxville.

A friend of my dad's goes to the same church as Bill Haslam! The pastor got fired for being at the capitol on January 6th.

edit: different governor of Tennessee named Bill, they are indistinguishable, sadly.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 17, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So does this we get the Cleveland Barons back finally

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kale posted:

Vegas gets $5m in usable cap space, Montreal gets an additional $4m in accruable space which can be sold at the deadline. Well, I'm assuming Montreal intends to stay under the cap.

For teams under the cap, LTIR and active players are functionally equivalent -- either one reduces the amount of daily space they can accrue. For teams over the cap, there's no cost to taking on more LTIR.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

the preds are going to poo poo for a long time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

CBJSprague24 posted:

Welcome back, Torts. I hope you do good things when you're not coaching against my team.

Rangers do thing:

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1537555616180363264

Does his sister come with the contract

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's official

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1537787171821731842?t=hiQz0vX790i44nwxPWuWOg&s=19

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i hate it so loving much

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i hate it so loving much
Next team captain seems to like it

https://twitter.com/CamAtkinson89/status/1537788998218928128?t=sojYyjJ4I6LcihkMkq9DCg&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think he means "LFG to anywhere other than Philadelphia"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1537545646860709889

I love the guy, but four years, huh?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

laughton is going to be the next captain

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Looking For Goalie

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://twitter.com/stapeathletic/status/1537788600993079297?s=21&t=bPPAD5f1DhZ35YMk7Tp2rQ

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So the external group they hired to find a coach shortlisted two of the most experienced coaches in history who have a reputation for alienating their players? Really thinking outside the box

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't really get the Torts hire. I like Torts, but what is the Flyers goal here? They're in rebuild mode, and Torts doesn't strike me as a rebuild coach.

Then again being it's the Flyers and they *hate* rebuilding with a fiery passion I'm guessing they think they can somehow make a contender out of that roster. I think they'll be sorely disappointed if that's what they're thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

JackCap???

Jesus christ