Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schmeichy posted:

Get a minivan and trick it out, rvs are for suckers

they're also expensive, even if you get a used one, the maintenance alone long term would cost more than a new one

believe me i've looked

the capitalists knew to rig every single thing in this demon cracker nation so nobody can find refuge without paying up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
We got a van with the idea of camping in it instead of living in it full-time, but before the pandemic we got a used dodge caravan that we outfitted with a camping storage station and bed. I think it was around 10k (we did a trade in). Hasn't needed much maintenance so far. It's also our daily driver.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

Cross posting from the economic thread

It’s always amazing the lengths landlords will go to ignore taking care of something they own. when I told our last landlord that a storm had dropped several large tree branches on the roof she didn’t want to send someone out to remove them unless they were “poking through the ceiling.” So I took them down myself and cut and stacked them because I didn’t want to live with half a tree on our home and after we moved out she tried to get us to pay for removing the logs from the backyard because the next tenants complained. she didn’t even have anyone come look at the place before the next people moved in because she didn’t want to lose one days rent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the dodge caravan was a miracle car and I’m sad it’s dead and gone.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That’s illegal, sadly. I’ve looked into it.
What law governs this because I would like to know more

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hambilderberglar posted:

What law governs this because I would like to know more

It’s kinda confusing but this makes me think you could get prosecuted:
https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/obscenity

quote:

Federal law prohibits the possession with intent to sell or distribute obscenity, to send, ship, or receive obscenity, to import obscenity, and to transport obscenity across state borders for purposes of distribution. Although the law does not criminalize the private possession of obscene matter, the act of receiving such matter could violate the statutes prohibiting the use of the U.S. Mails, common carriers, or interactive computer services for the purpose of transportation (See 18 U.S.C. § 1460; 18 U.S.C. § 1461; 18 U.S.C. § 1462; 18 U.S.C. § 1463). Convicted offenders face fines and imprisonment. It is also illegal to aid or abet in the commission of these crimes, and individuals who commit such acts are also punishable under federal obscenity laws.

Maybe a lawyer goon can chime in, I’d love to hear that I’m wrong and that I can send Goatse to unsolicited texts

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Maybe a lawyer goon can chime in, I’d love to hear that I’m wrong and that I can send Goatse to unsolicited texts

Goatse is art, not obscenity.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I cannot imagine some crank hasn’t tried to sue ogrish or another one of the shock jock websites if they could build a case on this, but I had not considered the obscenity angle until now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So ASCII goatse is okay, or maybe the time magazine cover

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lastgirl posted:

they're also expensive, even if you get a used one, the maintenance alone long term would cost more than a new one

believe me i've looked

the capitalists knew to rig every single thing in this demon cracker nation so nobody can find refuge without paying up

They are maintenance queens, yeah, but a lot of it can be done by yourself. Besides, maintenance is going to cost you regardless of the age of the RV, but buying a $80k Thor over a $25k 15 year old Winnie isn't going to magically put you on the hook for $55k in repairs, unless you use a bougie repair shop.

I'm watching for early '00s class Cs with Ford v10s. A decent condition 27ish footer is $20-30k right now. I don't have that kind of savings right now, going to be a few years at best. But with a recession kicking off and RVs being a luxury to the overwhelming majority, prices should be about to take a hit. If the economy doesn't improve reasonably soon, it's possible I can pick up something for peanuts next summer.

I don't want a van, a big border collie and a cat need more room than a van. And I'd never buy a chrysler product with the intent of living in it. I'd rather do brain surgery on myself with my .357mag.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schmeichy posted:

We got a van with the idea of camping in it instead of living in it full-time, but before the pandemic we got a used dodge caravan that we outfitted with a camping storage station and bed. I think it was around 10k (we did a trade in). Hasn't needed much maintenance so far. It's also our daily driver.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They are maintenance queens, yeah, but a lot of it can be done by yourself. Besides, maintenance is going to cost you regardless of the age of the RV, but buying a $80k Thor over a $25k 15 year old Winnie isn't going to magically put you on the hook for $55k in repairs, unless you use a bougie repair shop.

I'm watching for early '00s class Cs with Ford v10s. A decent condition 27ish footer is $20-30k right now. I don't have that kind of savings right now, going to be a few years at best. But with a recession kicking off and RVs being a luxury to the overwhelming majority, prices should be about to take a hit. If the economy doesn't improve reasonably soon, it's possible I can pick up something for peanuts next summer.

I don't want a van, a big border collie and a cat need more room than a van. And I'd never buy a chrysler product with the intent of living in it. I'd rather do brain surgery on myself with my .357mag.

ty for these input, it sounds encouraging so I will have another look.

I know a lot of people were looking at EV versions, given gas prices and emission but they're obscene too. It's not like you can't plan accordingly and just get a permit to park in RV areas or national parks with some caveats. Overall it does emphasize minimal living which is great because clutter and hypermaterialism drives me insane. It's also probably healthier living overall and you don't have to deal with people regularly as they try to breathe on you for their comfort.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Check out Bob at cheapRVliving on YouTube. He's a guy who's whole deal is educating baby boomers who have nowhere else to go how to survive in a van.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fortunately these poor suckers who spent way too much on a "how to make millions in real estate" class at the holiday inn are all sending texts from the same state :goatsecx::phoneline::phone:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You can boondock on most BLM land for free for 2 weeks at a time. You need to move at least 25 miles every two weeks (BLM rule). And you can't circle back to a previous spot for 28 days. So if you find 3 places to bounce around relatively close to each other, you can get by on less than $100 in gas if you assume 8mpg (class Cs can get 10-14) at $10/gal of gas.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Schmeichy posted:

Check out Bob at cheapRVliving on YouTube. He's a guy who's whole deal is educating baby boomers who have nowhere else to go how to survive in a van.
This post triggered my memory about the biggest chud piece of poo poo I've ever known personally, an acquaintance of my father's who as marinated his brain in Fox News for 20 years now.

His day job is taking insurance claims, but his big sidehustle since COVID is a youtube channel about "boondocking" i.e. he tows a giant trailer behind his gas guzzling Tundra out to some BLM land so that he can watch Fox News via satellite and not have to see or hear any other people, and he makes youtube videos about it for not-much-money.

He is absolutely steaming mad about gas prices these days and I hope it totally fucks his poo poo up.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Schmeichy posted:

Nomadland is a documentary

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schmeichy posted:

oh ya he's good, i think he was showing how he was outfitting a used ambulance last time i checked which is creative i'll give him that

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You can boondock on most BLM land for free for 2 weeks at a time. You need to move at least 25 miles every two weeks (BLM rule). And you can't circle back to a previous spot for 28 days. So if you find 3 places to bounce around relatively close to each other, you can get by on less than $100 in gas if you assume 8mpg (class Cs can get 10-14) at $10/gal of gas.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

err posted:

It is, he has a cameo lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

oh ya he's good, i think he was showing how he was outfitting a used ambulance last time i checked which is creative i'll give him that

drat that's a way better idea than a minivan

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

i say swears online posted:

Depends on wear and tear and gas mileage

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i say swears online posted:

They get worse fuel mileage and tend to be high mileage. Though if they were municipal owned, probably well maintained.

There's also used shuttle buses.

E: 2 years ago shuttles were bottoming out around $6k for something decent. Last I checked they're about double that for something that might not need a boat load of maintenance. Once you get deep into renovating it to live in, you could be in small class C price ranges, so I just started looking at class Cs.

There's a few class As on ebay under $20k, but they're all 20+ years old. Some are pretty clean though.

E2: like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/2039830469...emis&media=COPY

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Jun 17, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

err posted:

having grown up in seasonal trailer park...

it was like these are my people. it really loving nailed the whole thing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's a few class As on ebay under $20k, but they're all 20+ years old. Some are pretty clean though.

my parents bought a 30 + year old class A for 2000 once. it was pretty good until somebody siphoned the gas out and they didn’t notice. the sludge at the bottom of the gas tank killed the engine the next time they started it and that was that.

edit: if you are already living in one of these communities they’ll come up cheaper. people sell them off to friends when they are going to die.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my parents bought a 30 + year old class A for 2000 once. it was pretty good until somebody siphoned the gas out and they didn’t notice. the sludge at the bottom of the gas tank killed the engine the next time they started it and that was that.

edit: if you are already living in one of these communities they’ll come up cheaper. people sell them off to friends when they are going to die.

Yeah, there are scattered forums on boondocking and RVing that you'll find private sales under, too.

I'm not keen on class As, really. Maintenance is another layer of hell and they have to go to RV shops, not just whatever brand dealer is on the hood for drivetrain work, so you can expect higher shop rates. Class Cs have better ride height, the tires are a bit cheaper, stuff tends to be more accessible for maintenance, fuel mileage is probably 50% better.

I haven't done any camper/rv stuff in a very long time, so the whole idea is really drawing me in, but odds are even that my mind hits the shuffle button and I buy 5 acres of sand and sagebrush between now and next summer anyhow. I just like the RV idea so I can perpetually gently caress off to somewhere else. But I'm also mulling over the idea of staking a mining claim somewhere here in CO so I have a place to park 3-5 months a year while I "work" the ground for a whole $250 in annual fees, then gently caress off south for winter.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
former 2 year fulltime RV dwelling veteran here - did '14-16ish in a 37 foot class A with a washer/dryer etc.

dont do it

theres no place to park them

theres no place to dump the shitter

just dont

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

at least around 'ere that's what stormdrains are for

anyways your mistake was a class a, gotta use a class c. this was our hauler for ghost town trips

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:27 on Jun 17, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

former 2 year fulltime RV dwelling veteran here - did '14-16ish in a 37 foot class A with a washer/dryer etc.

dont do it

just dont

Just drive over bridges in Chicago when you want to dump the shitter, duh

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

dont do it

just dont

from what i've read/heard, it's even worse now than it used to be too

Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

from what i've read/heard, it's even worse now than it used to be too

Tennessee just passed a law banning camping on public lands in an attempt to gently caress over the homeless

it also hosed over people like me, who bikepack and won't be going to Tennessee now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah they razed 3/4 of the rv parks in denver in the past 5 year to make room for hotels or LuXuRY cOnDoS

and you cant do that walmart overnight poo poo any more. sams dead

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

wtf

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
used to able to pull over overnight at like rest stops. it's actually kinda funny rest stops are even a thing in america, or were i guess.

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

used to able to pull over overnight at like rest stops. it's actually kinda funny rest stops are even a thing in america, or were i guess.

I used to do a lot of driving for work 1997-2002, it's cool to know that poo poo I did on the regular (sleep at rest stops, pull over to piss) will get me arrested now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jonny 290 posted:

dont do it

just dont

37 foot is more than I'd want. 31 foot class C is what I'd max out at. Ideally more like 28 foot, something long enough for a proper bed. It's just me and two pets.

I have a local friend with a septic tank, I can dump there and throw him $20 or buy him a pizza in return. He's surrounded (not literally but practically) by BLM land. Beyond that, municipal wastewater treatment facilities sometimes will have an RV dumpsite.

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah they razed 3/4 of the rv parks in denver in the past 5 year to make room for hotels or LuXuRY cOnDoS

The RV parks in Colorado Springs are like $1k a month. It's nuts.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Tennessee just passed a law banning camping on public lands in an attempt to gently caress over the homeless

it also hosed over people like me, who bikepack and won't be going to Tennessee now

:psyduck:

I get they’re trying to own the homeless. but don’t they know how much camping tourism they had?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Meanwhile in the land of home ownership: $16k to update the shitter line and water line from the finest decaying plastics the 90s could produce! :toot:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The RV parks in Colorado Springs are like $1k a month. It's nuts.

that’s pretty normal now. most of the independent parks have been bought up by big chains.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

at least around 'ere that's what stormdrains are for

anyways your mistake was a class a, gotta use a class c. this was our hauler for ghost town trips

hey that’s a nice truck

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

wait then where do you park oh god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I can't even drive my house... starting to think I got ripped off.