Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For something less silly here's a neat reinterpretation of Godzilla(with his take on Jet Jaguar for scale) from an artist I follow on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/Yotakuboi/status/1536715036852355074?t=eF3jy_8Y1zvpYdvNeNgKFA&s=19

He's also done takes on Mothra, Rodan, Gprosaurus, Titanosaurus, and is working on a take on Moguera right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I know that in the (very bad) 2014 Godzilla console game, developers had to remove references to Godzilla attacking nuclear power plants, making them generic “generators”. The reason cited was the big Fukushima/Daiichi scare, the feeling was it would be in bad taste. Seeing as the movie came out that year they probably made a similar call- there they were able to make reference to nuclear material but I think it explains why Godzilla’s origin is a bit different. (Given the time it likely took to develop the movie it was probably a sorer subject when the contract was being drawn up than when it was finally released.)

Of course then Shin Godzilla is an explicit metaphor for that whole disaster. Maybe that was Anno’s doing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dammerung posted:

That's weird, he was definitely running at King Ghidorah in that one scene in King of the Monsters.

Speedwalking. Never actually lost contact without the ground. Crafty guy, that Godzilla.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big “fake cloverfield concept art” energy coming from this one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Big “fake cloverfield concept art” energy coming from this one.

that whale concept was sick as hell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
godzilla's proper name comes from a "gorilla / whale" portmanteau in Japanese :eng101:

granted that's probably where the fake cloverfield monster's concept came from too

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
By-the-by, watch Godzilla SP y'all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those coral spines are sick.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

For something less silly here's a neat reinterpretation of Godzilla(with his take on Jet Jaguar for scale) from an artist I follow on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/Yotakuboi/status/1536715036852355074?t=eF3jy_8Y1zvpYdvNeNgKFA&s=19

He's also done takes on Mothra, Rodan, Gprosaurus, Titanosaurus, and is working on a take on Moguera right now

Big G needs a mani-pedi, dude looks like he's going through a Howard Hughes phase

Looks neat otherwise!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

By-the-by, watch Godzilla SP y'all.

:hmmyes:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just playing with AI text generator.

quote:

In a rare television interview, Godzilla reveals his struggles with addiction, his biggest regrets, and reflects on his long career.

Interviewer: Godzilla, you've been in the entertainment business for a long time. What are some of the biggest changes you've seen?

Godzilla: Well, the industry is definitely more competitive now. When I started out, there were only a few of us giant monsters around. Now there are hundreds, maybe even thousands. It's tough to stay relevant.

Interviewer: You've also been very open about your struggles with addiction. Can you tell us a little bit about that?

Godzilla: Yeah, it's been a tough battle. I started using drugs to help me deal with the stress of my job and it just kind of spiraled out of control. I've been to rehab a few times and I'm finally starting to get my life back on track.

Interviewer: What are some of your biggest regrets?

Godzilla: I definitely regret my addiction. It's cost me a lot, both professionally and personally. I also regret some of the things I've done while I was under the influence. I'm just trying to move forward and be the best monster I can be.

Interviewer: What advice would you give to aspiring monsters?

Godzilla: Just be yourself and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. If you have a dream, go for it. And never give up.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Just playing with AI text generator.

Dude was a real party animal in the 60s, kinda followed the Elvis trajectory. He filmed entire luau movies he doesn't even remember being in

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Goddamn Godzilla is cool

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asterite34 posted:

Dude was a real party animal in the 60s, kinda followed the Elvis trajectory. He filmed entire luau movies he doesn't even remember being in

That movie where he became a platform dancer in a club was pretty bad but the theme song Gogo Godzilla! was a real toe tapper

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was looking through a book that came with a Godzilla poster set and it has this perfect portrait of Godzilla

I'm thinking that's his author photo on his debut novel

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That’s a handsome boy!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That’s his Tinder profile pic

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Looks like one of the animatronic heads. Those were great across the VS series. Think that one was for the later 90s ones though my memory might be failing me. Am very fond to the one used in Vs. King Ghidorah.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah pretty sure that one's from Biollante or KG.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/hd_kirin/status/1541773722788302848?s=21&t=3d3es_T955a6paB7bBFvfQ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh hey, I'm already ranchin' about half of those. :buddy:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh hey, I'm already ranchin' about half of those. :buddy:

You should come join us in the Sofubi thread :c00l:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Maxwell Lord posted:

That’s his Tinder profile pic

"Hey! Your profile said you're 400 feet tall!"

"I was in some movies." :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I only collect hard vinyl figures, I don't want to get yelled at :sweatdrop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I only collect hard vinyl figures, I don't want to get yelled at :sweatdrop:

Vinyl is vinyl! Come on in, the water's fine!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Animal-Mother posted:

"Hey! Your profile said you're 400 feet tall!"

"I was in some movies." :(

Godzilla on the date

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Godzilla_Toho/status/1542540645427863552

!!!

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

They're being pretty sketchy about what this film is and what exactly is meant by a "Godzilla vs. Kong sequel". The only official word I've seen is that it's the "next entry in the monsterverse" so could it be that this sequel actually features neither Godzilla nor Kong and they're branching out with their own original monsters. I doubt that's the case because I'm not sure WB would be brave enough to make a monster film without any "brands" attached. But it's interesting.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're only doing that now. They already revealed that it's going to be Son of Kong.

Godzilla probably won't even be in it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Oh poo poo, did they? I completely missed that. Well, I have somewhat warm feelings towards the original Son of Kong despite it being not particularly well regarded, so full steam ahead I say.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Which means Son of Godzilla, and then a third movie where they team up to take on Mechani-Kong and MechaGodzilla?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I wouldn't mind an old school Kong vs dinosaurs film. I know the monster verse version of Skull Island was bug and skull crawler focused with little to no dinosaurs but maybe there could be another island filled with dinosaurs with 1930's paleo art designs such as a tripod T-Rex etc.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Every time I go to click on this thread my wallet starts hissing at me

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/readful_things/status/1543646587523563525?s=21&t=zhCG7h7bfDFYunQae8o_iA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It took awhile for the picture to load and I couldn't decide if it was going to be that or the dance

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think the dance has to be higher ranked just because it marked a change to the series to be open to being really loving goofy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also there's already official Godzilla dancing figures out there

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also there's already official Godzilla dancing figures out there

Jesus H. Christ.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules! My fav Godzilla moment is his battle with Baragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RIP to my Childhood GOAT

You gave this man some gas and blasting caps and he'd give you art. Those 1970s Godzilla films, along with Return of Godzilla are such a central part of my childhood (in part because they're fun as hell and US distro at the top making them a very common VHS release that was easy to get at even Sam Goody's (yes I'm old).

Do yourself a favor and pour one out to Nakano and put one on the TV today.

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Macias/status/1544263080728997889?s=20&t=wl7NLz_5uYkc-hb9PLDrFQ