Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Khanstant posted:

also that guy sounds like a mortal kombat character. i'm guessing he's spock's like crazy illogical evil brother? does spock also have a goofus half-brother Sponk who works on a farm trying to grow money trees? Why didn't Michael ever bring up Sybok?

To learn more watch Star Trek V (Don't actually do that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Butternubs posted:

Another good episode, I hope they're not lulling me into a false sense of security, Cant wait for the Captain Pike's kitchen spin off.

I also liked that there was no mention of her being NB, because guess what? No one gives a poo poo in the future!

So much less ham-fisted than disco.

And not every viewer understood it in either show :v:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

next week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6jhhz6WjGQ

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Atlas Hugged posted:

This was my read on it. It matters to the audience because of representation and it's something you can learn if you choose to look into it, but in the realm of Star Trek it doesn't loving mean anything.

It also matters to us because she looks straight into the camera and tells us "hey, biology is not identity, and not even your culture should define who you have to be, you are yourself and you can't escape that" and that theme hits in a very different way if it's coming from a trans, gender non-normative actress and character.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Here's how you do Star Trek right. Your season-long running story involves :spock:, sure, but those stakes are entirely personal and internal, not saving the world.

It's the smart play and I'm so, so glad that Star Trek is finally taking the smart play.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Did anyone else find some of the dialogue a bit hard to understand in the latest episode? There were some large chunks for me where it was difficult to pick out. I’ve noticed it a few times in other SNW episodes, but this one was the worst about it. I dunno, maybe I’m just going deaf in my dotage.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm sure it's probs been said in this thread already but just realized how Angel contacted Vulcan like, instantly, despite them making a point of saying they were so far out their comms bouy was days from getting to the federation

I honestly don't mind that much--whatever, gun episode-- but it's definitely something of a plothole. But I've gotten pretty accustomed to em, I don't mind so much

The Prison colony wasn’t on Vulcan. It was on a moon in some other system. We don’t know where it was exactly.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That lets her wear the white jumpsuit instead of a uniform. It is tradition now to make one of the female crew wear something besides a standard uniform.

Pretty sure all the nursing staff are wearing white. I kinda wish they’d kept the ‘medical staff all wear white’ thing from disco - it never made sense to me that science staff and medical staff were grouped together - surely in an emergency you’d want your medical personnel to stand out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

pik_d posted:

Wait, she's non-binary? I didn't read that at all, what were the signs?

The fact that the character is always referred to as ‘they’? Not to mention they cast a non binary actor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Butternubs posted:

I also liked that there was no mention of her being NB, because guess what? No one gives a poo poo in the future!

So much less ham-fisted than disco.

I really liked this. There was no showoff-y drawing attention to it; they didn’t go out of their way to give the character an LGBT+ plotline; they were just a character who happened to be NB and nobody batted an eyelid about it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I think it's interesting that they've kept the ink Chapel's actress has on her hands.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

roomtone posted:

decent episode. i am not that into this chapel/t'pring/spock triangle though, so it wasn't my favourite.

I think of it as canon fodder. :v: We already know how T'pring and Spock's relationship ends. This is showing us the relationship he lost. What he gave up to become :spock: the interstellar legend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm watching a thing: what was the behind the scenes drama during s1 of Disco?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Polaron posted:

I think it's interesting that they've kept the ink Chapel's actress has on her hands.

Honestly I like how they’re letting the actors have input on their characters and design decisions. Rebecca Romijn got the skirt uniform made per her suggestion, Celia Rose Gooding chose her hair, Jess Bush chose the white jumpsuit over a uniform, Anson Mount suggested he cook…it makes it feel like the show is a big collaborative process.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Well that looks delightfully goofy. Hoping it' doesn't end in ""it was all a dream" cope out, which the flash of story book seems to suggest.

I am 100% cool with there being a weird parallel universe with a renaissances space federation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hooray for stupid hallucination fuckery!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I'm watching a thing: what was the behind the scenes drama during s1 of Disco?

In short:

• Bryan Fuller gets hired to make a Star Trek. He wants it to be an Anthology series, with different time periods and crews for each season. Starts developing S1, which focuses on the mutiny of Michael Burnham and her starting the Klingon War.

• CBS tells him an anthology series is too expensive, and can he just make the S1 characters and setting the entire series. Bryan Fuller, in typical fashion, responds by dragging his feet and not turning in scripts while pre-production is on its way and the deadline to launch CBS All-Access fast approaches.

• CBS fires Fuller and brings in Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts to take the scraps that Fuller wrote and whatever happened during pre-production and turn that into a series, since there was literally negative time to start from scratch.

• They then rush the first 7 episodes out the door to meet the All-Access deadline, but are so behind schedule they have to split the season in two to catch up.

That’s basically it. S1 was basically a stapled-together rush job, with the intention of making S2 more cohesive. That is, until Berg and Harberts got fired at the beginning of S2 and once again threw the show into a tailspin lmao.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Lord Bude posted:

The fact that the character is always referred to as ‘they’? Not to mention they cast a non binary actor.

I didn't even notice that, must be tired. Not familiar with Jessie James Keitel either.

Checked out her twitter and she retweeted this. Pretty different context now knowing a bit more about her!

https://mobile.twitter.com/H0NEYRIVER/status/1537478632800628736

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I really liked this. There was no showoff-y drawing attention to it; they didn’t go out of their way to give the character an LGBT+ plotline; they were just a character who happened to be NB and nobody batted an eyelid about it.

With one guest spot in a single episode they did a better job of representing and discussing non-binary themes than all of DISCO has done so far with an enby character on the main cast for several seasons. (I mean I haven't actually watched S4 of Discovery but I still feel qualified to make that call.)

I could write several paragraphs about it but I don't even feel like it's worthwhile because the show actually brought those themes up and showed them to us in a coherent, cohesive way... why would I analyze the show when it's able to clearly and ENTERTAININGLY make a point on its own and we all just watched it?

By the way, JEFFERIES TUBES

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

lol do u go around checking peoples gender when they show up in tv who cares. they is also the neutral pronoun you can use for anyone

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Khanstant posted:

lol do u go around checking peoples gender when they show up in tv who cares. they is also the neutral pronoun you can use for anyone

What is the point of saying this when The Lord Bude is literally correct about it in this case?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

No other human character on Star Trek has ever consistently used singular They for no reason while also being portrayed by a transgender actress while also saying things like this:

You missed the subtext. A lot of people care about transgender representation. I care about transgender representation. This is not the hill you should be dying on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

XboxPants posted:

No other human character on Star Trek has ever consistently used singular They for no reason while also being portrayed by a transgender actress while also saying things like this:

You missed the subtext. A lot of people care about transgender representation. I care about transgender representation. This is not the hill you should be dying on.

IMO it was a great balance of having representation without "shoving it down their throats" as the chuds like to say. Chances are a random zoomer watching will get it, but their conservative parents and grandparents won't even notice while the show is on, so they won't turn it off.

It's not closeted, it's just subtle coding. And in this case I think being subtle made it stronger, because it gives the message that this is normal and unremarkable. Everyone uses they pronouns for them and that's it, no dramatic scene.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
drat that episode was good. Really fun, good action, good character moments, I loved how Captain Angel went from quietly flirtatious to chewing the scenery like Intendamt Kira in like 2 seconds, I love the Spock/T'Pring/Chapel love triangle that breaks my drat heart, I loved Pike's manipulation of the pirates, I loved how the pirates with like 3 lines had recognizable characters, and I love this drat crew.

One thing that has really impressed me with SNW is the crew dynamic that they've established so quickly. There's a wonderful sense of camaraderie and the crew can be casual with each other or make jokes, but it doesn't get in the way of the professional atmosphere. There isn't that pervasive Whedony quippyness so much genre media has had in the last 20 years. For instance, early in the episode there's the fun joke between Pike and Ortegas about getting "first or third date" close to the asteroid, but once they are in the trap everyone is all business and the dialogue becomes more technical and professional. It's so believable and reminds me of high-stress jobs I've had and the dynamic that develops.

This is just great loving Trek, 9/10, gently caress I want more episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo the preview for next week's episode :stare: :stare: :stare:

I swear they made this show just for me.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Azhais posted:

I forget, did voyager do a mirror story? I do recall an episode with the doctor being evil and forcing 7 of 9 to sing, but I can't remember the context

Infyrion posted:

I think there was an episode where the Doctor was writing a holonovel loosely based on the Voyager crew except the crew are all dicks to the Doctor who is overworked and underappreciated. Someone finds it and naturally the crew is annoyed at being portrayed as assholes but the Doctor refuses to acknowledge the obvious similarities and defends his creative freedom. Deciding turnabout is fair play someone (Paris?) writes a similar holonovel except this time the Doctor is the baddie.

twistedmentat posted:

No, its from the Equinox episode where Voyager's EMH is stolen by Ransom and they remove the ethical subroutines so he will do evil experiments. He's fiddling with 7s implants and continues their previous, pre evil EMH, interactions where they'd sing public domain songs together.

I have seen so much Star Trek, its not funny.

Thats cool. Yea it always seems like in these kinds of shows you need to have your wacky creative lead but someone more steady to reign them in and focus the show.

This is also the best first season of any Trek show.

MillennialVulcan posted:

There's also an episode where the Doctor's program is found in the Delta Quadrant and reactivated after 700 years. The future aliens show him holograms and "historical" recreations of the Voyager crew as bloodthirsty murderous fascists cruising the quadrant and leaving hell in their wake.

There's also that bit in Worst Case Scenario when the Mutiny simulation goes awry thanks to Seska and the fake Doctor gives Paris a Nitric Acid injection which probably should've killed him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G93qjZ2WLtA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I like how they’re letting the actors have input on their characters and design decisions. Rebecca Romijn got the skirt uniform made per her suggestion, Celia Rose Gooding chose her hair, Jess Bush chose the white jumpsuit over a uniform, Anson Mount suggested he cook…it makes it feel like the show is a big collaborative process.

This is one of the reasons DS9 is so good. The actors worked with the writers to flesh out their stories and characters. This is why the Ferengi go from very gross Jewish sterotypes to being hyper capitalists because the actors sat down and worked out what they wanted to do and say with the characters and went to the writers and worked out how that would actually happen.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FishFood posted:

One thing that has really impressed me with SNW is the crew dynamic that they've established so quickly. There's a wonderful sense of camaraderie and the crew can be casual with each other or make jokes, but it doesn't get in the way of the professional atmosphere. There isn't that pervasive Whedony quippyness so much genre media has had in the last 20 years. For instance, early in the episode there's the fun joke between Pike and Ortegas about getting "first or third date" close to the asteroid, but once they are in the trap everyone is all business and the dialogue becomes more technical and professional. It's so believable and reminds me of high-stress jobs I've had and the dynamic that develops.

That dynamic might be the only thing that got me through my previous job without a breakdown. It's not an easy thing to write, but so far they're nailing it here

Also, considering Pike's pirate impression I think it's safe to say that the leeway Ortegas gets to be kind of a goofball is there because, deep down, Pike knows he's basically the same, he just has to keep it buttoned up a little more because he's the captain.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Delsaber posted:

That dynamic might be the only thing that got me through my previous job without a breakdown. It's not an easy thing to write, but so far they're nailing it here

Also, considering Pike's pirate impression I think it's safe to say that the leeway Ortegas gets to be kind of a goofball is there because, deep down, Pike knows he's basically the same, he just has to keep it buttoned up a little more because he's the captain.

Pike is Goku

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its funny how Jeffrey Hunter didn't continue on with Star Trek because his wife thought the show was beneath him. Now you have Anson Mount as the same character on an excellent show cooking for pirates.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm glad they are getting representation, not dying on a hill. i'm just ? that we should know a characters' actors is nonbinary just by looking at em or assume a neutral term commonly used in daily life to refer to anyone. i'm not saying "who cares" about representation, that's important, and maybe I should notice or be mindful, but they looked liked a woman, they showed up in sexy villain catsuit, i didn't really give it a second thought and maybe that's the problem. i missed the subtext as neutral language and didn't know this actress(plus she could play a character of any gender). Writing it out, it's probably not okay to assume someone is a woman just because they "look like" one, whatever that could possibly even mean for billions of different people lumped together. my roommate is nonbinary but i met them when we were coworkers and they used she/her, when I later learned they were nb just switched to they like they preferred, i don't know how i woulda known before then. there are several other folks I've seen in shows that I didn't know were trans or nb i look em up or it come up.

I also assumed captain angel was an alien, because of the face markings, and that's not okay either in a galaxy full of diverse species and cultures which each could have their own relationship to body modification.

my favourite part of angel was just them seeing right through spock to emotionally manipulate him, vulcans are emotional as hell, even without the half-human part, so I always enjoy when somebody gives them a good wrenching to that aspect. Their folly was ultimately underestimating the bond between spock/tpring. bond strong enough for a successful hostage swap gambit, but also strong enough to survive a saucy-hello-nurse-moment-turned-dispassionate-vulcan-breakup-ruse.

FishFood posted:

Jett Reno kind of has a little torch of that kind of banter energy on Discovery. They could wormhole Reno to SNW Enterprise and maybe just never acknowledge or show it, she's just there one day giving somebody poo poo in engineering.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Delsaber posted:

Pike is 100% a goofball and it's great.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there's gotta be other takes for that pirate bit that can be edited into an INtake

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It's shocking how SNW keeps hitting it out of the park every episode. I'm used to modern star trek sucking. This latest episode was so good. I love the bit where they're referring to an older situation for his plan to deal with the current one. Preview for next episode looks awesome. It's a sin that this is only 10 episodes. If they could keep up this level of quality over, say, 20ish episodes per season that would be much better.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

The Lord Bude posted:

Although I must confess, When she first appeared I briefly thought it might have been entertaining to have Una’s actor play her as well and have the cast completely ignore the fact that they look identical.

In the pilot, Una and Chapel were never in the same scene together, and I was hoping that was going to be a bit.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I also assumed captain angel was an alien, because of the face markings, and that's not okay either in a galaxy full of diverse species and cultures which each could have their own relationship to body modification.

I get that, it took me most of the episode last week to decide whether the Majalans were supposed to be aliens or just some random human colony that's really into body mod, those ridges were pretty subtle. Like this is a universe where Remans are just ugly Vulcans so it's kinda all up in the air. When Chapel was first talking to Spock about this new doctor (the "earth to spock" scene) and referred to them as "they" I wondered if maybe they'd just be an alien too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Man SNW is so good. Just watched the last 2 episodes. gently caress this is the best Star Trek has been in so so long.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Great episode, a lot of fun and can't wait for next week.

Started with Mount Pike has fallen:

Rebounds with its triumphant return:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

XboxPants posted:

the Majalans were supposed to be aliens or just some random human colony that's really into body mod, those ridges were pretty subtle.

memory alpha says this species has black blood. I'm really curious what it would look like if they could simulate that. Like, Alora still had red lips and ya know pinkish subsurface scattering and other human stuff due to us having red blood. guess that goes for all the blood colours out there. i know some crabs have blue blood but they dont have skin with blood vessels

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ninurta posted:

Great episode, a lot of fun and can't wait for next week.

Started with Mount Pike has fallen:

Rebounds with its triumphant return:

Pike keeps a little emergency mousse in his survival kit.

Guest star was great, Chapel is great, mutiny plan was great, SYBOK REFERENCE IN TYOOL 2022 was great. This show is so loving good and next week already looks like an all-timer.

How the hell is this show real???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really love this show so much. I love that just have progressive characters that might be evil but still make sure to get someone's pronouns right without being all hamhanded "I'm not a girl, here's my pronouns" and people in the future are saying "Wow, this is a new concept for me, I am learnding"