Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She was the best person to ever be an admin of this hellsite and she has richly deserved her reward of no longer being a mod or admin.

Promoted to user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Yeah, this forum is full of fat 40 year old dead gay alcoholic computer touchers.

gently caress you, I'm only 37.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

sun-bleached skeleton

even in death i won't go outside

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

cock hero flux posted:

the outside might come to you though

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ablative posted:

now i understand why they built the pyramids

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kuros posted:

gently caress you, I'm only 37.

:hai:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Yeah, this forum is full of fat 40 year old dead gay alcoholic computer touchers. Our role in the post apocalypse will be "sun-bleached skeleton half buried in a sand dune that Baron Barron Trump does a sick jump over in his Murder Buggy"
I'm angling for Toilet Skeleton With Environmental Storytelling Gun (+1 bullet)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also if I recall it was Bird who personally, physically, took off work and flew across the country to support Lowtax’ latest battered partner when the dam finally burst.

She was the best person to ever be an admin of this hellsite and she has richly deserved her reward of no longer being a mod or admin.

She also reached out to help a seriously disturbed user, Daikolotos, who then proceeded to ruthlessly harass her over every method of communication she gave him.

That same user had been banned for some of the most disturbing and vile PM's the mods had ever seen.

Koala's March is a long, long story and you're better off served searching the sagas threads for her name to get the full picture, including the goldmine worthy .gifs and memes that were generated when Jeffery banned her alt, said alt having done almost nothing but sock-puppet how great she was.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, this forum is full of fat 40 year old dead gay alcoholic computer touchers.

Hey!

I smoke weed nowadays, tyvm

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm angling for Toilet Skeleton With Environmental Storytelling Gun (+1 bullet)
gently caress all y'all have some ambition. I'm going to befoul a water source with my radiation riddled body.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

She also reached out to help a seriously disturbed user, Daikolotos, who then proceeded to ruthlessly harass her over every method of communication she gave him.

That same user had been banned for some of the most disturbing and vile PM's the mods had ever seen.

Koala's March is a long, long story and you're better off served searching the sagas threads for her name to get the full picture, including the goldmine worthy .gifs and memes that were generated when Jeffery banned her alt, said alt having done almost nothing but sock-puppet how great she was.

I believe there was also one post about Worf which is very funny to me for some reason.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We're not bringing the sagas thread back.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

exactly - "the thread" wouldn't make any sense. it needs multiple threads, at least five or six

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Philippe posted:

Oh yeah? Look around.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
historic facts of the forums is a much more appropriate title anyways.

most stuff isnt exactly beowulf

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You'd best start believing in saga threads Miss Philippe

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

exactly - "the thread" wouldn't make any sense. it needs multiple threads, at least five or six

One thread for every saga. Hell, dump them all into one sub forum.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
the sagas thread is coming from inside the quotes thread

there it is, the laziest post I've ever made

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I want to learn more about SA Sangrias

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

cock hero flux posted:

Ablative posted:

cock hero flux posted:

now i understand why they built the pyramids

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dude banging on table piss tape gif but instead is says sagas thread

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Splicer posted:

gently caress all y'all have some ambition. I'm going to befoul a water source with my radiation riddled body.

Every last one of us will be low poly meshless skeletons for background renders that get partially or fully occluded by foreground assets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

historic facts of the forums is a much more appropriate title anyways.

most stuff isnt exactly beowulf

Bright was the morne and high their hartes as they did set forth in quest of glorious shitpostynge...

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

Hey!

I smoke weed nowadays, tyvm

The first rule of alcoholism club is that you don't stop being an alcoholic just cause you stopped drinking.

One More Fat Nerd has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Jun 16, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A couple posts that were so good the thread ended up goldmined.

powerofrecall posted:

so you work from home op?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

The tomb of the unknown soldier guard should just walk all over the complex now.

Can't find the "your mom sounds cool" post.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

pentyne posted:

A couple posts that were so good the thread ended up goldmined.

Can't find the "your mom sounds cool" post.

Feel bad chuckles

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

oh okay so it's like a reaching nirvana thing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Yeah, this forum is full of fat 40 year old dead gay alcoholic computer touchers. Our role in the post apocalypse will be "sun-bleached skeleton half buried in a sand dune that Baron Barron Trump does a sick jump over in his Murder Buggy"

Unironically, kinda buy it.

Hey!

I'm not an alcoholic. :(

Captain Hygiene posted:

I want to learn more about SA Sangrias

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1798430

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

re open the Sagas thread but immediately ban anyone who posts containing the phrase "we've got a developing saga over in [x]"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alaois posted:

re open the Sagas thread but immediately ban anyone who posts containing the phrase "we've got a developing saga over in [x]"
I meant to post earlier but reopen the Saga thread with a strict "Saga must have hit its public peak at least 1 year ago" rule.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
agreed

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Alaois posted:

this but with an addendum that mods should be able to post absolutely mindboggling current poo poo like that guy who had literally never posted before but had some kind of car breakdown while on a foreign trip in the middle of nowhere getting successfully helped almost immediately

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splicer posted:

I meant to post earlier but reopen the Saga thread with a strict "Saga must have hit its public peak at least 1 year ago" rule.

Yeah I don’t know why this is so hard.

Give it this rule and enforce it.

Simple as.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Philippe posted:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

right, i forgot, if we kept it constrained to older sagas the mods wouldn't be interested

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rockman Reserve posted:

this but with an addendum that mods should be able to post absolutely mindboggling current poo poo like that guy who had literally never posted before but had some kind of car breakdown while on a foreign trip in the middle of nowhere getting successfully helped almost immediately

"The Sagas thread, but it has to be positive stuff with no interpersonal drama, just wacky little forums incidents" would be a great thread in theory but impossible to keep good in practice

Also, it would be like half SA-Mart, which just casually produces amazing weird threads, like the one where someone just successfully gave away a giant Yokai Watch mascot costume and the recipient is trying to figure out if they can safely perform skateboard tricks in it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
SA Mart weirdness makes sense. Allowing goons into the real world can't possibly produce anything sensible

Rockman Reserve posted:

right, i forgot, if we kept it constrained to older sagas the mods wouldn't be interested

:pusheen:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can guarantee you will absolutely guess wrong if you try to guess what this is about.

teh_c0w posted:

The finance junkie in me just needs to address this.

Asking what the "return" will be after 6 or 12 months isn't really an accurate way of looking at this. What you're asking for can be viewed as a "holding period return." Basically, if I buy something for $1000 and in 6 months I sell it for $1050, my annual holding period return is 10% (1050/1000 = 5%. 5% * 2 6-month periods in a year = 10%). If you buy something for $1000 and in 12 months sell it for $1050, your holding period return is 5%. By asking for the return over a 6 or 12 month time period, you are assuming that you can buy in and then later sell out. These investments are not like stock where you can go into your account and hit sell and call it a day.

In my opinion, the best way to value this investment is as a perpetuity (technically a 99 year annuity due to the life of the copyright, but that's close enough for me call it a perpetuity). When valuing a perpetuity, you have to ask yourself what is my discount rate. You can view the discount rate as "how much will I need to be compensated for not using my money today" or "what else can I use the money for?" Then you apply the formula Price = Dividend / (Discount - Growth). The dividend is how much you get per year. The growth is how much (in percentage terms) you expect dividends to grow.

So, assume that you get $500 in dividends per year for the life of the investment (so no growth).
Scenario 1: You have no debt and spare cash. You can invest your money in the market and get 8% return on average. Your discount rate is 8% because you can use that money to generate a 8% return. In this case, you should be willing to pay AT MOST $6250 for the investment because regardless of whether you buy this perpetuity or put it in the stock market, you'll still net a gain of $500 per $6250 invested; you are indifferent If you can buy the perpetuity at say $6000, then you would earn an 8.3% return and profit.

Scenario 2: You have no debt and no spare cash. You can borrow from the bank at 10%. Your discount rate is 10% as any money you have can be used to pay off debt that is costing you 10% per year. In this case, you should be willing to pay AT MOST $5000 for the investment because if you buy the perpetuity instead of paying off your loan, at the end of the year you would gain $500 from the perpetuity and have to pay $500 in loan payments; you are indifferent. If you can buy the perpetuity at say $4000, then you would earn 12.5% per year. You would get $500 in dividends but only need to pay $400 in interest payments (10% of $4000). You would pocket $100 as profit.

Scenario 3: You have credit card debt at a rate of 20% and spare cash. You can borrow from the bank at 10%. Your discount rate is 20% any money you have can be used to pay off debt that is costing you 20% per year. In this case, you should be willing to pay AT MOST $2500 for the investment because if you buy the perpetuity instead of paying off your loan, at the end of the year you would gain $500 from the perpetuity and have to pay $500 in credit card payments; you are indifferent. Same concept as Scenario 2 for profit.

At the end of the day, I would say that if you have cash laying around, invest in this. You could put it in the stock market, but the markets are bad and you'll probably lose money (S&P is down like 10% so far). Any dividend is better than losing money. If you can borrow at a low rate, consider borrowing to invest. Borrowing to invest is known as leverage and is VERY risky with HUGE upside and downside potential. If you're up to your nose in credit card debt, do yourself a favor and pay off the credit card debt.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rockman Reserve posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

pentyne posted:

I can guarantee you will absolutely guess wrong if you try to guess what this is about.

I read this thread in its entirety a while back and it is a goddamn trip, highly recommended