Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been playing pokemon sword, nuzlockely (i.e. with permadeath, essentially, with other difficulty "settings" active) and it's been suuuper fun, I was mean to the game before but now I'm really into it

Sadly I have to restart (if I want to stay true to the nuzlockiness) because what was coded as the Ground-themed pokemon gym turned out to be a Fighting gym, and I lost all of my guys. I'm like 99% sure that the game doesn't tell you "Hey the next gym is Fighting", I've been talking to every npc. Yes the big clenched fist logo on the floor of the gym's reception area shouldve been a clue but I'm surprised that a pokemon game, a game for baby gamers, didn't spell out this one bit of vital info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jay Rust posted:

I've been playing pokemon sword, nuzlockely (i.e. with permadeath, essentially, with other difficulty "settings" active) and it's been suuuper fun, I was mean to the game before but now I'm really into it

Sadly I have to restart (if I want to stay true to the nuzlockiness) because what was coded as the Ground-themed pokemon gym turned out to be a Fighting gym, and I lost all of my guys. I'm like 99% sure that the game doesn't tell you "Hey the next gym is Fighting", I've been talking to every npc. Yes the big clenched fist logo on the floor of the gym's reception area shouldve been a clue but I'm surprised that a pokemon game, a game for baby gamers, didn't spell out this one bit of vital info

That's prob cause it's one of the two gyms that change with the version: in Shield it's Ghost type so maybe the devs forgot to have people mention the type lol.

I've also been doing nuzlockes, but my Touhoumon Purple attemps where cut short since the game's difficulty, while not bullshit romhack-tryhard, is meant tobe dealt with trading fainted puppets. And Winona having insane coverage, like imagine if all her mons in emerald had thunderbolt/focus blast/surf.

Now I'm trying Pokemon Gaia, a romhack I remember really liking for being not the usual edgy poo poo and having nice stuff... I still like it but the level curve is meaner than I remember.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Help Im Alive posted:

playing more "ocarina of time" and I always thought it was a cool detail how all the bosses have these titles added to their names except for Ganon

this gif is making me want to give Ocarina one more chance.

last time I tried I got lost in the mountains and gave up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
stop making fortnite sound fun, i'm begging you. think of my free time

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Looper posted:

oh i played through umurangi generation the last couple days too, despite the movement controls that's a rad game

what are some other good photography games

I think Toem is meant to be a photography game? And good?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

That's prob cause it's one of the two gyms that change with the version: in Shield it's Ghost type so maybe the devs forgot to have people mention the type lol.

I've also been doing nuzlockes, but my Touhoumon Purple attemps where cut short since the game's difficulty, while not bullshit romhack-tryhard, is meant tobe dealt with trading fainted puppets. And Winona having insane coverage, like imagine if all her mons in emerald had thunderbolt/focus blast/surf.

Now I'm trying Pokemon Gaia, a romhack I remember really liking for being not the usual edgy poo poo and having nice stuff... I still like it but the level curve is meaner than I remember.

Thanks for telling me about the fighting/ghost gym thing, that makes me feel better :)

Do all of these romhacks add their own Pokémon? That would scare me off them. But also if anyone wants to share pics of their fave romhack Pokémon I would love to see them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Turtles is good. Might be my GOTY, but I haven't played Nirvana Initiative yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it was fun, kinda wish the different characters felt different to play but whatever the original was the same deal

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah. I guess video games really are good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sorry for posting about posters but I saw that Stux has a steam deck avatar now, does this mean the stadia is dead

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Sorry for posting about posters but I saw that Stux has a steam deck avatar now, does this mean the stadia is dead

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

nooo i need one so i can play Caves of Qud everywhere!!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Stux is stuck in a dreadful dreck loop

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pokemon Fool's Gold looks dope. Crystal remake with every pokeyman being a sorta regional form with different typing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

you ever just pile up your dinosaurs into a stone box that definitely shouldn't be able to float and sail across the universe to live in a fairytale castle

and then have to sail back again cause you forgot to grab your obsidian and pelts and metal bars and robot parasaur

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Playdate thread looks on in fear

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
no bc that game melted my last computer despite it technically able to run it. is that the new one? i never even got to the point of getting my own dinosaur in the first one, i had something of a box house less fancy than what youve got there for dinos.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
been having a blast with tmnt shredders revenge. Picked my man raph cuz hes my spirit turtle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what is going on with the chopped up man lol. had to pause so i can play through it w my buddy this weekend but lmao i dont remember this weird dude being a chopped-up kind of deal

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Woke up and watched the FFVII event trailer.

Pretty giddy! Also confirmed trilogy and I think the third part will be called Restore or Restoration.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Woke up and watched the FFVII event trailer.

Pretty giddy! Also confirmed trilogy and I think the third part will be called Restore or Restoration.

Extremely hyped for part 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jak & Daxter PC and Linux port. They are still squashing some bugs, but the game is 100% completable. Includes arch Linux instructions so probably Deck compatible.

https://github.com/open-goal/jak-project

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jak II. That game owned

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

no bc that game melted my last computer despite it technically able to run it. is that the new one? i never even got to the point of getting my own dinosaur in the first one, i had something of a box house less fancy than what youve got there for dinos.

it's still ark 1, but it's the latest free dlc map they've released (which are always community-made, and i find are much better and more fun to play on than the official "story" maps made by the devs)

i like to crank up the XP gain and taming speeds when i play offline, grinding early levels is always the worst part of the game, like yeah its spooky tense survival but i wanna get to the good part (building castles)

i don't know if ark 2 even has a release date yet. or anything in it other than vin diesel for some reason

edit: castle progress:

the foundations are being laid...

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 17, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
look i want to believe in santa claus too but there is like no way FF7R-2 won't get delayed like, another entire 2 years

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jay Rust posted:

Thanks for telling me about the fighting/ghost gym thing, that makes me feel better :)

Do all of these romhacks add their own Pokémon? That would scare me off them. But also if anyone wants to share pics of their fave romhack Pokémon I would love to see them

Also as a warning the sixth gym does the same thing, in this case Sword does not match the gym with the city, as a hint.

Touhoumon does yeah since it replaces everything with Touhou characters, it even has a new type chart with types like Faith and Heart instead of the usual 17. While you said it would be scary, there's a LP running through most Touhoumon romhacks so you can check out without fear (or suffering in case of the bad ones).

Gaia meanwhile is pretty vanilla, it just adds up to Gen 6 stuff in the Gen 3 engine, and otherwise focuses on a vanilla plot in an original region about fossils and ruins. There's even zero edge besides at most a gym leader kid whose parents died and he inherited the gym from his grandpa the Daycare Man. Which is absolutely tame for average romhack standards.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Jak II. That game owned

They're gonna do 2 and 3

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I tried playing it on my PS4 once and it looked and played as well as Cyberpunk on the PS4 except without the warning not to buy the game in the PSN Store page.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Kerrzhe posted:

i rate games based on how i feel about them during play and then after, as an overall average of my various moment-to-moment feelings. elden ring had a decent amount of "wow this vista of this new region i have yet to explore looks beautiful!" but it was drowned out by "thank god i finally beat that loving boss/enemy, that was awful" and "jesus loving christ how many times am i going to die to this" and "every single loving quest i do kills off another npc i really liked" and "gently caress sake i can't find a weapon that i like, my build is dogshit" and "i've finally decided on the weapon i like, which makes everything else i find meaningless"

in short, elden ring kinda bad. you hate to see it

Fair opinions here, even if I don't agree with them. Elden Ring is amazing but vast in a way that I don't quite know how to criticise properly. The last quarter really felt like a slog and despite the loving incredible vistas and atmosphere, I started to feel a bit disengaged from the whole thing, ESPECIALLY butting heads with Godskin Duo.

Maybe it's because I played the absolute bejesus out of Sekiro and DS1 to 3, but Elden Ring was mind-blowing to a point... Then it started to feel pretty baggy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mountaintops of the Giants feels like an entirely unnecessary area. If the game went straight from Leyndell -> Farum Azula I wouldn't miss it at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Farum Azula felt more unnecessary to me. Not fun or all that interesting unless you're balls deep in lore

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

haveblue posted:

Beyond Good and Evil

Yeah this ruled, I wish the sequel looked like it was going to be good and/or exist

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Elden ring fantastic. I loved to see all of it.

A non stop 22 hour session was the perfect end to a month of awesome. That game was made for me. Many games are but that one in particular.

Adding dlc is very simple in terms of map. Story I wonder what they might do.

Fromsoft yet to miss.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I see that we have reached the stage in the cycle where we have forgotten all the great things we love about something and started picking apart all the minor flaws, by Christmas Elden Ring will be considered 7/10 bang average

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elden Ring was a pretty good effort but I can't say it reached the heights of Super Monkey Ball 2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elden Ring might be the best game ever made

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw man, it's still Deus Ex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Elden Ring was a pretty good effort but I can't say it reached the heights of Super Monkey Ball 2.

Thats not really a fair comparison metric, few games can even dream of that