Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Vedalken Orrery, Muldrotha and Lord of Extinction spoiled now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol that's amazing

Where'd you get the cards made? That looks like pretty legit cardstock

There are a few ways you can Make Playing Cards. My preferred way to Make Playing Cards is using Photoshop templates and sending the final images off to a company that will Make Playing Cards for you. There are different card finishes, and I'm actually pretty fond of the plastic playing card one because you can riffle shuffle like mad and not have to use sleeves, plus they're super durable.

Also, they can't have the real Magic card back so there's no way they could be mistaken for a counterfeit.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aranan posted:

There are a few ways you can Make Playing Cards. My preferred way to Make Playing Cards is using Photoshop templates and sending the final images off to a company that will Make Playing Cards for you. There are different card finishes, and I'm actually pretty fond of the plastic playing card one because you can riffle shuffle like mad and not have to use sleeves, plus they're super durable.

Also, they can't have the real Magic card back so there's no way they could be mistaken for a counterfeit.

:hai:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Aranan posted:

As someone who has Made Playing Cards, I approve this post

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cool Content from Conquest: Home of the Scry Rule!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3C-HDlOjQ

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Is Conquest the format where you get to scry X at the start of the game, where X is the number of players ahead of you?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is Conquest the format where you get to scry X at the start of the game, where X is the number of players ahead of you?

Yes, they trialled it for a while and it became an official rule about a week ago

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Phyrexian Altar reprint in Double Masters 2022. Maybe the price will come down from $85, lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uuuuuh maybe, but everything I’m hearing on the back end is that Double Masters production is getting delayed because it’s basically causing riots amongst distributors lol. Every store in the Carolinas is already completely sold out of preorders. So we might not see a ton of these cards, lol, because Amazon direct is getting the lion’s share it seems like.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LGSs have been complaining about Wizards showing preferential treatment to Amazon direct for a while now, haven't they?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This gonna be me

https://twitter.com/mtghistory/status/1538151601357131777?s=21&t=px5FXs4Sf4nh-lLkhHQJEQ

No lie my LGS told me they are 100% breaking street date on this because “they don’t give a gently caress”

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

That red dragon is still holding strong at $60, lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
They were bound to be a smash hit for mid-high power EDH.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

made another card for my arcades deck

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Knot My President! posted:

Heh. Heh. I like it.

E:

Make the collector number 420/<however many cards in the set>

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Knot My President! posted:

Lol your poo poo is always hilarious, keep it up!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Heh. Heh. I like it.

E:

Make the collector number 420/<however many cards in the set>

420/69

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Batterypowered7 posted:

That red dragon is still holding strong at $60, lol

If it stays high, it will be absolutely annihilated if it ever makes it into a masters product as a reprint.

I wonder if "Ancient [Metal] Dragon" is d&d IP enough to make that relatively unlikely?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aranan posted:

Tarnop posted:

As someone who has Made Playing Cards, I approve this post

I will third the notion that it is a great idea to Make Playing Cards, both for aesthetics and functionality - beyond casual/unsanctioned EDH play, they're also a fantastic way to add variety by putting together cube(s) or gauntlet(s) of competitive decks, either current (i.e. present day Legacy) or historic (if you want to revisit old Standard or Block Constructed environments)

relatedly, worth noting that if you're coming up a bit creatively dry on art for all 450 cards in the Vintage cube you're going to have Made of Playing Cards, there exist websites that will help you Fill out the order with designs others have worked on (generally in a way that helps make it clear they're not counterfeits without reference to the back)

also a big shoutout for Cubeamajigs, which are one of the most decadently specialized M:tG products of all time but imo really enhance the cube drafting experience (and far moreso if you're trying to replicate a specific limited format respecting rarity and the like)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LGD posted:

I will third the notion that it is a great idea to Make Playing Cards, both for aesthetics and functionality - beyond casual/unsanctioned EDH play, they're also a fantastic way to add variety by putting together cube(s) or gauntlet(s) of competitive decks, either current (i.e. present day Legacy) or historic (if you want to revisit old Standard or Block Constructed environments)

relatedly, worth noting that if you're coming up a bit creatively dry on art for all 450 cards in the Vintage cube you're going to have Made of Playing Cards, there exist websites that will help you Fill out the order with designs others have worked on (generally in a way that helps make it clear they're not counterfeits without reference to the back)

also a big shoutout for Cubeamajigs, which are one of the most decadently specialized M:tG products of all time but imo really enhance the cube drafting experience (and far moreso if you're trying to replicate a specific limited format respecting rarity and the like)

:hmmyes:

I'm probably gonna spend some time this week building a cube so I can do just that! I know somebody linked a cube resource somewhere up thread so than you to whoever did that!

I'll take a look at Cubeamajigs too, I know Prof had them as a sponsored content once or twice.

Edit: actually I just went back a handful of pages and couldn't find a Cube hyperlink... is there a recommended website or something that has a list of good cubes and/or how to build them? Swear I saw something like that...

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 19, 2022

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

how about this one

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm probably gonna spend some time this week building a cube so I can do just that! I know somebody linked a cube resource somewhere up thread so than you to whoever did that!

I'll take a look at Cubeamajigs too, I know Prof had them as a sponsored content once or twice.

Edit: actually I just went back a handful of pages and couldn't find a Cube hyperlink... is there a recommended website or something that has a list of good cubes and/or how to build them? Swear I saw something like that...

I made this entire vintage cube from cube cobra https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/modovintage, I think all in (sleeves + quality box + dividers + 540 cards) I spent like $300

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

coelomate posted:

I wonder if "Ancient [Metal] Dragon" is d&d IP enough to make that relatively unlikely?

Did WotC say they were planning on limiting D&D themed cards to only D&D sets? Cause it isn’t like they don’t just straight up own the IP.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
With the loss of Serra Sanctum in duel commander how hard did Sythis decks get hit? I haven't played in a couple months but Sythis is my deck of choice and I'm curious if it's worth pushing through.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-06-22-sythis/

Obviously there's some pet cards in there but the general list is the same as others I've seen.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Commander RC streams every Thursday and I think I'm gonna hop on the stream and ask them if they'd ever consider implementing that one awesome sounding scry rule.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

The Commander RC streams every Thursday and I think I'm gonna hop on the stream and ask them if they'd ever consider implementing that one awesome sounding scry rule.

Making the experience of playing commander better goes against the spirit of the RC.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Making the experience of playing commander better goes against the spirit of the RC.

On the other hand, I could be exposing their 20-odd viewers to a different format.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Adding scry to the 2nd/3rd/4th players opening hand would dramatically impact cEDH. Letting the 4th seat storm
player see 3 extra cards (and thereby extending their ability to keep greedy hands) feels like a lot

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

On the other hand, I could be exposing their 20-odd viewers to a different format.

*slowly leans into frame, finger raised, ready to speak*

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Adding scry to the 2nd/3rd/4th players opening hand would dramatically impact cEDH. Letting the 4th seat storm
player see 3 extra cards (and thereby extending their ability to keep greedy hands) feels like a lot

Third or Fourth player? Does the c in cEDH not stand for Canadian, as in the 1v1 singleton format?

Magnetic North posted:

*slowly leans into frame, finger raised, ready to speak*

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Third or Fourth player? Does the c in cEDH not stand for Canadian, as in the 1v1 singleton format?

Competitive EDH. Devoted to playing and countering the strongest strategies the format will support. Take a look at these decks to get some ideas. These are very different than the usual decks many people play.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Woosh.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Theirs was also a joke.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

Is storm not a thing in Conquest? Or just this particular issue is less of a factor because so much fast mana is banned?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Storm decks don't Storm in cEDH anymore. They definitely don't in a format with no Sol Ring/Mana Crypt/Mox Diamond/Dockside.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Toshimo posted:

Storm decks don't Storm in cEDH anymore. They definitely don't in a format with no Sol Ring/Mana Crypt/Mox Diamond/Dockside.

What? Brain Freeze is literally one of the formats preeminent (Top 3) win conditions, and it’s manual by default because Breach requires it to be. But yeah, agree with your 2nd point, Storming in commander without 10+ mana positive cards is basically impossible.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Using Underworld Breach to repeatedly cast the same spells over and over from your graveyard feels like a stretch to call manual storm.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
but it’s not a loop, you literally have to do it by hand (manually)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

What? Brain Freeze is literally one of the formats preeminent (Top 3) win conditions, and it’s manual by default because Breach requires it to be. But yeah, agree with your 2nd point, Storming in commander without 10+ mana positive cards is basically impossible.

Nobody runs any cards to prevent getting milled out?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not really, and besides that Brain Freeze is an instant so you can just respond to their effect by comboing off again and killing them anyway

Edit: also if your Freezing out the table in all likelihood you have infinite mana and your entire deck to play with, it’s not as easy as just sleeving up an Ulamog

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Nobody runs any cards to prevent getting milled out?

That's basically never a concern. Once in 100 games you might get got by an Emrakul, but it basically never happens.