Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lid posted:

I can't see a The Quarry thread but I need to make sure I'm not mad - it's a chapter one/two spoiler:

in chapter one if you get the Temperence card you get a vision of the bullets and fireworks. from the fortune teller and knowing the definition of the temperence movement it's telling you when given the option you should decline to take the fireworks as it will benefit you in the long run by showing restraint.

However literally every guide I have seen says taking the fireworks, not practising temperence, is the right decision as they will help you. Are the guides all wrong or is the in game being deceptive on purpose?

Haven't played it yet, but is there any chance the tarot card was reversed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dienes posted:

Haven't played it yet, but is there any chance the tarot card was reversed?

Nah, they are all played straight. I know what you mean about the reversed cards though.

I haven't played far enough to say whether it is a better idea to not do the thing referenced but if you did do it then they don't set off *all* the fireworks when you see them playing around later.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lid posted:

I can't see a The Quarry thread but I need to make sure I'm not mad - it's a chapter one/two spoiler:

in chapter one if you get the Temperence card you get a vision of the bullets and fireworks. from the fortune teller and knowing the definition of the temperence movement it's telling you when given the option you should decline to take the fireworks as it will benefit you in the long run by showing restraint.

However literally every guide I have seen says taking the fireworks, not practising temperence, is the right decision as they will help you. Are the guides all wrong or is the in game being deceptive on purpose?

You're asking a question where the answer is a massive spoiler for the entirety of the game.

I wouldn't take the tarot card visions in The Quarry all that seriously, though, or factor them into your decision-making process. Much like the totem visions in Until Dawn, they're vague on purpose and mostly serve to indicate possibilities, not necessarily desirable outcomes.

Actual answer, and the aforementioned massive spoiler: Eliza does not have your best interests at heart and many of the tarot visions are pushing you in a specific direction that is in keeping with her agenda.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Rumblings on Twitter the streamer mode for The Quarry doesn't actually use royalty free music, copyright strikes going out.

Heads up for any streamer goons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Rumblings on Twitter the streamer mode for The Quarry doesn't actually use royalty free music, copyright strikes going out.

Heads up for any streamer goons.

It is pretty funny with the music though.

*someone gets torn apart by a gigantic Scandinavian troll while their blood washes over the horrified faces of the other people* (not a real scenario)

Director: we need some music for this. Does anyone still have that Life Is Strange soundtrack? I love folk rock.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Crossposting from the Xbox thread.

I've picked up Resident Evil 7 again after the next gen upgrade launched, having only played a few hours originally. And Jesus Christ, this game has some of the sickest imagery of any horror material in any media. And the ray tracing on it is excellent and makes an already great looking game even better.

I'd strongly recommend for any horror fans. A few years late to the party, I know.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Crossposting from the Xbox thread.

I've picked up Resident Evil 7 again after the next gen upgrade launched, having only played a few hours originally. And Jesus Christ, this game has some of the sickest imagery of any horror material in any media. And the ray tracing on it is excellent and makes an already great looking game even better.

I'd strongly recommend for any horror fans. A few years late to the party, I know.

I've been getting into the mood to play it again with the upgrades and all the excitement for other RE announcements. I always thought some of the people faces in it looked weird but otherwise it was very strong visually, I really want to see the updated version.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CuddleCryptid posted:

It is pretty funny with the music though.

Director: we need some music for this. Does anyone still have that Life Is Strange soundtrack? I love folk rock.

Yeah I haven't been able to resist being taken out of the game by how funny the folksy indie music is at what feels like entirely not the right times.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been getting into the mood to play it again with the upgrades and all the excitement for other RE announcements. I always thought some of the people faces in it looked weird but otherwise it was very strong visually, I really want to see the updated version.

Some of the faces looked doughy at times in 7, but then that almost has an in-game explanation.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

You get to see Marguerite's blue waffle in exquisite detail. I'm sorry to say. Finished the game earlier today. I thought the prolonged epilogue was a bit much but overall it was a great game.

I fired up Resident Evil 2 afterwards, looks good so far. Half tempted to watch a playthrough of the original on PS1 to get a feel for it.

I seem to have Resident Evil Remastered in my game library. Was it a Games with Gold option some time? Is it a decent game to play in this day and age or has it aged too much?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I seem to have Resident Evil Remastered in my game library. Was it a Games with Gold option some time? Is it a decent game to play in this day and age or has it aged too much?

Folks seem to love it for the most part. I played a bit in the last year or two and it seemed well done, with the caveat that you have to accept the old style fixed camera (I personally couldn't get into that either now or back in the day when it was standard).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

RE1 remake is a patch on the original, despite the original being a classic. Capcom generally seems to have always been very very good at RE remakes.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You get to see Marguerite's blue waffle in exquisite detail. I'm sorry to say. Finished the game earlier today. I thought the prolonged epilogue was a bit much but overall it was a great game.

I fired up Resident Evil 2 afterwards, looks good so far. Half tempted to watch a playthrough of the original on PS1 to get a feel for it.

The remake of RE is really good. It's still Resident Evil which means you should probably play with a guide handy because of puzzles and such can be a pain in the rear end, but it's still a great survival horror game.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

The remake of RE is really good. It's still Resident Evil which means you should probably play with a guide handy because of puzzles and such can be a pain in the rear end, but it's still a great survival horror game.

I played it for about an hour and a half yesterday and had to tap out and play RE2 again.

Inventory management in the first game is a loving nightmare and not even being able to drop shite you don't need without a chest was killing me. I may go back to it after I complete 2 before I go onto 3. It's funny to see how many aspects have carried over to subsequent games over the past 26 years.

Speaking of RE2, it's absolutely cracker so far. My only issue is the brightness of the darkness - I have an OLED TV but the dark parts of the image are a washed out grey. Is this how it's designed or do I need to tweak settings somewhere (which I've done a lot).

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Len posted:

I know there was a webgame, did they have an actual game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSP4I0aA2xc
My favorite part of that webgame was beating it unlocked giant spider playermodels for Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament which sadly I cannot find anymore.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't play REMake til a few years ago but I think it's probably my favorite of the non-RE4 games now. I really liked RE2 Remake and thought RE3 remake was... ok. REMake just feels like a more complete package in a way the other two don't due to some changes to how the original games were (i.e. the two character playthroughs being more interconnected/different and RE3 having more areas in the original). RE2 I didn't mind being full price but 3 remake felt like it should have been priced differently for what it was.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mr E posted:

I didn't play REMake til a few years ago but I think it's probably my favorite of the non-RE4 games now. I really liked RE2 Remake and thought RE3 remake was... ok. REMake just feels like a more complete package in a way the other two don't due to some changes to how the original games were (i.e. the two character playthroughs being more interconnected/different and RE3 having more areas in the original). RE2 I didn't mind being full price but 3 remake felt like it should have been priced differently for what it was.

I've heard the R3 remake being a lesser effort than 2, what's the main reason behind this?

Spoilers ahead here for RE2.

I'm now a good few hours into RE2 and my immersion has been broken by several things. Firstly, the 8 foot tall man in a hat - was this really the image they want on a battlefield (or maybe they gave him a personality and he really likes noir detective novels)?

Secondly, Ms FBI driving in high heels and wearing sunglasses in dark environments (this reminded me of a scene in Transformers 4 where a bad guy was looking for a transformer in a dark barn, with a torch, wearing sunglasses).

Thirdly, Ms FBI strips down to her sex suit in a sewer. Don't get me wrong, like all good goons I had a gangbang in the sewers with 6 of my best friends when I was a kid but c'mon, son.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've heard the R3 remake being a lesser effort than 2, what's the main reason behind this?

I'm now a good few hours into RE2 and my immersion has been broken by several things. Firstly, the 8 foot tall man in a hat - was this really the image they want on a battlefield (or maybe they gave him a personality and he really likes noir detective novels)?

Secondly, Ms FBI driving in high heels and wearing sunglasses in dark environments (this reminded me of a scene in Transformers 4 where a bad guy was looking for a transformer in a dark barn, with a torch, wearing sunglasses).

Thirdly, Ms FBI strips down to her sex suit in a sewer. Don't get me wrong, like all good goons I had a gangbang in the sewers with 6 of my best friends when I was a kid but c'mon, son.

RE3MAKE has a few less areas as someone pointed out in the RE thread, it also somehow doesnt have the dismemberment that RE2 did for zombies. It's also a fairly quick game to finish, even with the Nemesis fights which are not nearly as fun as Mr.X is in RE2.

To address your immersion issues:

Mr X owns
Ada owns

It's Resident Evil. It's schlocky b-movie nonsense that's being played fairly straight, but the remakes definitely lean into the humor more with the dialogue.

The plot is only going to get more absurd the further you get into the game so just buckle up and enjoy the schlocky fun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah the main issues I have with R3Make are that it's less areas than the original game, is very very short with not as much replayability as 2make (to me at least), and Nemesis was way underutilized - I was hoping for an improvement on the pretty well done Mr. X stuff in 2make but it wasn't really that at all. I think it really could have used another year to flesh out the game. I did like the remake's Jill and Carlos, though, which is why I think I got frustrated at it missing the mark so much for me because the potential was there. It's not a bad game and if you like the RE remakes I'd say check it out on sale.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mr X is definitely creepy, it's just that hat!

Ada does own bones though, and if she's modelled on a real person... sheet, sign me up.

I bought RE 2 and 3 on sale for peanuts and I love the free update policy.

I have vague memories of watching a childhood friend (now dead unfortunately) play RE 1 and 2 on his PlayStation. I remember being in disbelief that games could look so good. We were 13/14 when the first game came out but it was a real zeitgeist for us, even though we didn't know it at the time.

7 was the first game I played from start to finish for myself and I really enjoyed it. RE4 is being remade but the original is on sale for £6.50 or so. Is it worth a buy now or should I wait for the remake?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the sad thing is the demo they released where it was the first area WAS really good, too bad its the only open area in the entire game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mr SeX

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They had a different team for RE3make, and you can tell they didn't have the budget or time to go as in depth as the RE2make team did. It's basically :effort:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

3make was fine but I do feel like a buffoon for spending full price on it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
As far as I understand, re2/3make were being made concurrently so 3 couldn’t really benefit from a lot of the good ideas in 2.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ada does own bones though, and if she's modelled on a real person... sheet, sign me up.

I bought RE 2 and 3 on sale for peanuts and I love the free update policy.

I have vague memories of watching a childhood friend (now dead unfortunately) play RE 1 and 2 on his PlayStation. I remember being in disbelief that games could look so good. We were 13/14 when the first game came out but it was a real zeitgeist for us, even though we didn't know it at the time.

7 was the first game I played from start to finish for myself and I really enjoyed it. RE4 is being remade but the original is on sale for £6.50 or so. Is it worth a buy now or should I wait for the remake?

Yes buy and play the original 4. It's a great game, despite the back end lagging a bit. It's when the RE franchise really leaned into the absurdity and action focus for the first time. It holds up, I've played it recently. It's where a lot of the things you probably love gameplay wise from RE2MAKE came from.

Also the merchant :3:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

These games are not meant to be taken seriously on any level.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man if you're not on board with an eight foot tall zombie guy in a trenchcoat whose fedora you can shoot off, you're in the wrong franchise

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have vague memories of watching a childhood friend (now dead unfortunately) play RE 1 and 2 on his PlayStation.

well jesus goondolences on losing your friend

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man if you're not on board with an eight foot tall zombie guy in a trenchcoat whose fedora you can shoot off, you're in the wrong franchise

I've made my peace now!

Giant sewer alligator is rude.

Nyoro posted:

well jesus goondolences on losing your friend

He was my friend when I was a kid but I hadn't seen him in 20 years, but thanks.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just shoot his hat off and it’s gone forever!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SirDrone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSP4I0aA2xc
My favorite part of that webgame was beating it unlocked giant spider playermodels for Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament which sadly I cannot find anymore.

One time I was sitting in a hotel bar and David Arquette walked up to me and was like "do you like video games?" and I was like "yeah" and he gave me an autographed demo for this game and I said "thanks man". then we just looked at each other awkwardly for like 10 seconds and he walked off.

I think it's still in my closet somewhere

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think the person who said they felt like a fool for paying full price was onto part of why it seemed so bad at the time.

The other part is conditional & related to the previous part. Like a lot of the Resident Evil games, you can unlock fun stuff with multiple playthroughs, but 3's charms are mainly gated behind that mechanic. If you're like me and tend to play a game once, then put it down for a while- possibly forever- then it's not much of a game, especially for $60, and especially as a follow up to 2, which felt significantly more substantial during a single playthrough.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

I think the person who said they felt like a fool for paying full price was onto part of why it seemed so bad at the time.

The other part is conditional & related to the previous part. Like a lot of the Resident Evil games, you can unlock fun stuff with multiple playthroughs, but 3's charms are mainly gated behind that mechanic. If you're like me and tend to play a game once, then put it down for a while- possibly forever- then it's not much of a game, especially for $60, and especially as a follow up to 2, which felt significantly more substantial during a single playthrough.

I got RE2 and 3 on sale for about £10 so I'm happy enough. I completed 2 with Leon a few minutes ago and really enjoyed it. Is it worth a playthrough with Claire, or a "second run"?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's worth playing the game normally from the start as Claire and then picking either one for a B Side run, RE2R's B Side is more of a light remix then an actual full second game like RE2 had. Claire and Leon's A sides both have different side story beats, side story playable sections, sections of the RPD you use and finales. B side mostly amounts to the RPD is halfway remixed and then close to identical to A run.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doomykins posted:

It's worth playing the game normally from the start as Claire and then picking either one for a B Side run, RE2R's B Side is more of a light remix then an actual full second game like RE2 had. Claire and Leon's A sides both have different side story beats, side story playable sections, sections of the RPD you use and finales. B side mostly amounts to the RPD is halfway remixed and then close to identical to A run.

Thanks for the response, I'll check it out after I complete R3. I'm only an hour in and already have found more ammo and health than I did in the entirety of RE2.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My buddy was obsessed not with RE3, with RE: Resistance that was included for free.

So much so that he was willing to buy a second full price copy for me (I was broke at the time). I actually ended adding some extra money from a gift card to get the 2 and 3 combo pack on sale, coming to about $45 each (Canadian). I don't feel ripped off, personally.

I actually haven't played 3 at all yet despite having for memories of the orginal version. It was both my first Playstation game and first RE game. I did do 4 playthroughs of RE2Make though, and a surprising amount Resistance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Keep an eye on Interference: Dead Air. It's in the burgeoning genre of Night Job Simulator but you're basically the security guard at Hawkins Lab on the night everything goes to poo poo. Demo is woefully short but provides a highly detailed area and promises plate spinning antics of guiding survivors of some incident over your ham radio via a map on a corkboard while rerouting power and basic systems via your commodore PET-rear end computer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zushio posted:

My buddy was obsessed not with RE3, with RE: Resistance that was included for free.

So much so that he was willing to buy a second full price copy for me (I was broke at the time). I actually ended adding some extra money from a gift card to get the 2 and 3 combo pack on sale, coming to about $45 each (Canadian). I don't feel ripped off, personally.

I actually haven't played 3 at all yet despite having for memories of the orginal version. It was both my first Playstation game and first RE game. I did do 4 playthroughs of RE2Make though, and a surprising amount Resistance.

3 is good fun and a lot less stressful than 2, because of the amount of ammo and health you get.

Something I've appreciated about 3 is that the black levels are now black instead of the washed out grey that irked me in 2.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I didn't realize a trailer for the System Shock remake came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAppJ8HuIM

As someone who loving loved SS2 (probably one of my fav games of all time tbh), but never played the original, I'm really interested in this. I hope it isn't just an FPS, and retains a bunch of the other elements that the original did.

Edit: 2022 the year of horror in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Went through the OG RE2 last year. It was great.