Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Treecko posted:

My ex once tried to use Lawrey's Seasoning Salt as a dry rub on a chicken. In theory that's fine. But it was soooo much. Then he burnt it in the oven.

It was inedible. That was a decade ago and I'm still dehydrated.

I once used InstaCure #2 (ie Prague Powder, ie 'pink salt') in an appropriate ratio while brining a chicken in what was otherwise a normal kosher salt and water brine.
The 'appropriate ratio' being what you'd use when ... wanting to use prague powder.

This is the stuff that makes ham stay pink.
It's what you use to cure corned beef.

After grilling the chicken remained pink raw looking and tasted exactly like (decent, to be fair) ham, but with the texture of chicken. It was wild and I thought it was a fun experiment. My three dinner guests were too weirded out to eat it and I don't blame them. Woops.
It hadn't been my intent, it was perfectly SAFE to eat, and it wasn't terribly flavored but it sure as poo poo was weird as hell. That's someone elses 'egregious meal that was served to them', and by my own hands :( Normally I'm a good cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Muslims don't sacrifice for blessing.

Also why would you be given a bowl of rendered fat as a 'meal', and do you believe that this would be normal for them to have eaten regularly as they are super-human and would have been able to eaten liquid hot clarified fat that was so hot it physically scalded you but that's just something they're physically immune to or in fact you've just made up bullshit about?

lol chill out bbc. it's friday

i've actually heard of this one. they use butter now instead but traditionally sheep or horse fat and use sugar and other additives to keep it from congealing as it cools. then you eat it with bread

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

as have I but I wanted them to expound upon being given a bowl of soup of scalding hot clarified fat they thought they were supposed to eat outright and how ignominious it was while everyone else stood around in horror why they were trying to eat a communal bread dipping sauce / salad dressing like soup.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 17, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Big Beef City posted:

Muslims don't sacrifice for blessing.

Also why would you be given a bowl of rendered fat as a 'meal', and do you believe that this would be normal for them to have eaten regularly as they are super-human and would have been able to eaten liquid hot clarified fat that was so hot it physically scalded you but that's just something they're physically immune to or in fact you've just made up bullshit about?

Big Beef City posted:

as have I but I wanted them to expound upon being given a bowl of soup of scalding hot clarified fat they thought they were supposed to eat outright and how ignominious it was while everyone else stood around in horror why they were trying to eat a communal bread dipping sauce / salad dressing like soup.

Why do you constantly pick fights with everyone? Can you chill out?

You accused op of making up bullshit and two posts later claim that's something you knew is a thing.

Anyway op said they didn't realise it was fat, they thought it was soup because it looked like soup so they expected soup. Is that hard to believe?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
BBC is not really a bad dude although he claims to hate me (he probably does) but he's just used to what GBS was at the time he joined and assumed it would just stay that way forever

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
being on the receiving end of a BBC angerpost is just a right of passage here on the dead comedy forums. Its nothing to take personally.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

being on the receiving end of a BBC angerpost is just a right of passage here on the dead comedy forums. Its nothing to take personally.

BBC has yelled at me several times and I usually respond to him very nicely!!!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was gonna ask about Eid al-Adha, but I guess it's not technically about receiving blessing. Just if you want to stay in Allah's good graces, you do it.
I always stayed inside the morning of Eid al-Adha because the streets of smelled raw meat and there was blood everywhere. And the cows with their little decorations leading up to it made me sad. :v:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meme Poker Party posted:

BBC has yelled at me several times and I usually respond to him very nicely!!!

He's fine and I like him

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

He's fine and I like him

he's been havign a Real One lately

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My wife is a great cook and made a pretty good chicken soup then added pickles to it.

I'm not saying that soup was good but I have made a chicken pickle soup as well as eaten it when made for me and it can be delicious

https://www.polishyourkitchen.com/polishpicklesoup/

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If he ever tried that poo poo with me I'd tell him I won't store his antique chifforobe in my garage anymore. He wouldn't know what to do.

Also, though it's not the thread for it, a little BBC lore: He posted a (snazzy) picture of himself in a thread ages ago and I used it as my desktop background for almost six months.

Somehow I feel fully justified in doing this. I put a file folder on his forehead.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Literally A Person posted:

Also, though it's not the thread for it, a little BBC lore: He posted a (snazzy) picture of himself in a thread ages ago and I used it as my desktop background for almost six months.

Somehow I feel fully justified in doing this. I put a file folder on his forehead.

This is both weird and hilarious.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hahahha wtf

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Aesop Poprock posted:

He's fine and I like him

U need to shut ur rear end up!!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

being on the receiving end of a BBC

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Bbc once said he Hoped I would die so we got a bit in common

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One time in high school I went to this kid's house and it turns out his mom is a hoarder which the kids always explained by saying they "just moved in" but they were still using that excuse a year later, anyway, one time she offered us dinner and she said it was on the stove. And it was a pot of some kind of soup that had just been sitting on the lukewarm burner for at least several days. Her kids motioned to decline so I did

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

deep dish peat moss posted:

One time in high school I went to this kid's house and it turns out his mom is a hoarder which the kids always explained by saying they "just moved in" but they were still using that excuse a year later, anyway, one time she offered us dinner and she said it was on the stove. And it was a pot of some kind of soup that had just been sitting on the lukewarm burner for at least several days. Her kids motioned to decline so I did

Always say no to questionable soup.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
My birthday is christmas and my aunt in law made me a santa cake when i was about 8

She used hot cinnamon icing to make the red and bitter black licorice icing to make the black

Me and her three kids all started crying upon taking our first bites, and the grownups all tried to shush us until they took a bite to show us it wasnt so bad

Aunt in law never made a cake again

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cinnamon icing is nice but what's hot cinnamon icing?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Re6pZri8Gw

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

Cinnamon icing is nice but what's hot cinnamon icing?

my mom had this jar of hot cinnamon nonpareils and it tasted like atomic fireballs hard candy, so I’m imagining that.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I once had dinner with an old friend who made spaghetti, but with ketchup as tomato sauce and cheddar cheese on top. I love her to death but jesus gently caress that was dire. Pretty sure her cooking has improved since then though.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When I was maybe 5, I decided to make myself a ketchup and cheese sandwich. I liked kraft dinner with ketchup, and dipping grilled cheese in ketchup, surely it would be similar? So I slathered ketchup on two slices of white bread and put a cheese slice between them. It was terrible. To the point that it's my earliest memory of being properly disgusted by food

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
My roommate made 'Vietnamese Banh Mi'

It was deep fried cheese-stuffed bratwurst shoved into a roll with some lettuce and onions. I lived in Vietnam for years and offered to help him when he announced what he was cooking, but he declined and told me he knew what he was doing.

Fucker even used my bratwurst which I was saving for some non abomination

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

When I was maybe 5, I decided to make myself a ketchup and cheese sandwich. I liked kraft dinner with ketchup, and dipping grilled cheese in ketchup, surely it would be similar? So I slathered ketchup on two slices of white bread and put a cheese slice between them. It was terrible. To the point that it's my earliest memory of being properly disgusted by food

Self pwned.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
A friend of mine grew up not only on bland Midwestern food, but with a mom who was constantly dieting and obsessed with food having as little fat as possible.

One time she had me over for dinner, and made salmon steaks coated in loose peach flavored tea leaves, no other seasoning, cooked on a loving George Foreman grill. It was offensively dry, like chewing on a vaguely floral piece of wood, and my throat feels icky just thinking about it.

Her cooking has improved a lot since realizing things like butter and oil won't immediately cause you to gain 100 pounds and die.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

This is entirely a cultural thing and what you are used to thing so I don't blame them at all, but also nothing stands out to me like this in terms of meals though I'm sure I've had some bad ones.

Staying at a Cuban friend's house. Deep-fried scrambled eggs. Like literally a pot of oil and scramble eggs in there. They were so oily I could only take a couple bites before I felt queasy, and then the only other thing on offer was some extremely strong cheese. I nibbled a bit of that until I felt just under the point where I was gonna barf.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Egreg'd myself.

I made my own fava bean tofu. A delicacy. Turns out I am not nearly so adventurous as I thought. It's silken in texture which is fine but the serving suggestion was to serve it raw with just a topping of some soy sauce and dashi. My goons, it tasted and felt like I was eating the snot of a giant broad bean monster. Maybe gonna try cooking it this time....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

....yeah

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ur supposed to microwave it first hth

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.

CynCyanide posted:

When my cousin got married, my aunt made his wedding cake out of about six box mixes. After she'd frosted it, she left it on the kitchen table and left the room. While she was gone, the dog jumped up onto a chair and licked all of the frosting off the top tier. She told everyone this story at the reception. "Don't worry, everyone," she went on, "I got some more frosting and patched it, it's fine."

Yum yum, dog spit wedding cake. I guess she didn't see any problem with it, because when she cooks, she licks her fingers clean of any spills as she goes and doesn't wash her hands after. She just goes right back to handling the food.

I hope that frosting didn't have any garlic in it....

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

I once had dinner with an old friend who made spaghetti, but with ketchup as tomato sauce and cheddar cheese on top. I love her to death but jesus gently caress that was dire. Pretty sure her cooking has improved since then though.

My parents used to do this for me when I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure that was just "gently caress it, give this child some simple flavours, it's not like he'll appreciate anything complex"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'll admit that "boiled spaghetti with ketchup and cheese" is the lowest I personally think you can go and still technically qualify as "a meal". I wouldn't serve it to a guest, but I have made it out of a lack of options plus a lack of motivation to go buy better ingredients. (I'd include some butter, though.)

A lot depends on what you mean by "ketchup as sauce", though - are we talking marinara-like quantities here, or more reasonable amounts?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
At that point, why not just sans the ketchup and go with parsley and butter? You can even be a weirdo and keep the cheddar; it'd be better than the ketchup.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

When I was a kid my mom would sometimes cook us homemade baked beans. She's a decent cook, and probably followed a recipe correctly, but I always dreaded when she served them. Some of the beans would be firmer than others, and some had different consistency within the same bean. It's hard to communicate exactly how much I hated this, but unexpected changes in texture and firmness make me reflexively gag. The skins would also slough off some of them and stick to the back of my throat. Those nights often involved a lot of crying and swallowing the beans whole with large gulps of milk in order to clear the plate and be allowed to leave the table. I was an extremely picky eater as a child.

One time we had a babysitter who made boxed Mac n cheese and decided "for fun" to add a shitton of red food coloring and tell me she cut herself while making it and bled into the pot. Even though I knew that couldn't be true, I was horrified and refused to eat any of it, which only pissed her off and she sent me to bed hungry. My parents didn't hire her again.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Das Boo posted:

At that point, why not just sans the ketchup and go with parsley and butter? You can even be a weirdo and keep the cheddar; it'd be better than the ketchup.

It adds a clear taste to something otherwise intensely plain - it's not a very complex taste, but a bit of tomato and vinegar is more than nothing. Parsley butter would also be good, of course. Pesto, too - or just some black pepper.

On the other hand, ketchup fills a certain niche where you just want to know ahead of time that you will get a predictable, non-bad, taste. Less important the more you trust your cooking, of course.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Das Boo posted:

Exactly this, one cheap dinner my mom kept on hand was egg noodles (spaghetti is fine probably), a shitload of parsley flakes, garlic powder (“California” style - roasted, basically), butter and canned Parmesan. Amazing, cheap, easy. Ketchup is a condiment, it can’t sub for marinara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Ketchup does not belong as a sauce or in soups. I've known people to use it in soups and it tastes like shiiiiiit.

Back in college my stepbrother ruined a pot of chili a decade ago by draining an entire bottle of Hunt's into it. Gave the whole thing a sickly sweet corn syrup taste.