Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Chadzok posted:

messed up dude, it was fantastic

yeah brother

extremely worth it too for frenchie chiming in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished this week's episode and it looks like they are going the (comics spoiler, potentially show spoiler)route of butcher deciding all the supes gotta go, not just Homelander. guessing the team up between him and Hughie is going to lead to the showdown from the comics.

I think this might be the first episode this season without a horrendously grisly death.

Yea, I'm counting CC cause while she did get blasted to juicy bits, it was mostly off screen and didn't involve a giant cgi penis or a dildo through the skull while we watch.

Man, this is getting to Winchesterian levels of secret/bad decisions to help/save someone else. That road to hell is getting paved in record time.

Also, holy gently caress the actress for Ashley is good. You could see the change in her eyes when she decided to go to a more take charge mode. I know we all fawn over Starr cause he's awesome at microexpressions but she loving nailed that. I had to clap.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ackles is doing good but Paul Reiser was incredible. This episode was amazing. Really nerve-wracking and stressful and anxiety inducing, yet somehow still gripping TV. The writers are layering every scene with as many references as they can to just absolutely drill every point home for the people in the back so it can be a little over the top with every single character being a perfect caricature of the thing they represent, but I can’t even call it a gripe or a nitpick, it’s just a stylistic choice to lay everything on so thick.

Glad Butcher finally got some, maybe he’ll chill the gently caress out

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't like him much as an actor until stranger things, but in this show he's amazing as well.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I will admit that I thought I accidentally tuned in an old episode of Scrubs for a moment.

I seriously thought Butcher had dosed MM with the temp V for a second.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
whos going to look after the chimps

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

roomtone posted:

that was probably the best ep this season so far for me. not much downtime. although you bet your rear end i was hitting that skip button past the kimiko frenchie musical number sorry

moron

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paul Reiser :hellyeah:

"Big L, Big B...... the rest of the letters are all little."

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
“No thanks, I’m full…of cocaine…”
“Well, ok then.”

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I loved the dance scene

A show like this shouldn't be afraid to get dumb like that

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

jabby posted:

Not to mention the huge amount of anti-supe graffiti we see in Russia implies heavily that if they were going to try and develop anything it'd be an anti-supe weapon. They probably injected him with whatever Russian knock-off Compound V they could come up with.

I do wonder if the general lack of super-powered antics beyond eye-lasers is deliberate or due to lack of budget/CGI time/imagination. I feel like the show would benefit from some "holy poo poo, he really does have Godlike power" moments to back up all the reactions.

Why? You have superpowerful supes that are poo poo scared of him. That's your queue that he's powerful. There is absolutely no need to establish it visually. It would cost money & time and would only be a filler with no real point.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Dalael posted:

Why? You have superpowerful supes that are poo poo scared of him. That's your queue that he's powerful. There is absolutely no need to establish it visually. It would cost money & time and would only be a filler with no real point.

Otoh, it's a visual medium

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It's fun to see bad Superman do bad Superman things.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 hours!)

Crespolini posted:

Otoh, it's a visual medium

yeah there is 'well logically he must be invincible because everyone on the show believes he is and they're all very strong' and there's 'holy poo poo, this guy is loving invincible'

i think they've kind of fumbled the execution of homelander over the course of show so far. not totally convinced by a lot of their status quo maintaining plot moves, his preoccupations and selective stupidity seem more intended to keep the character distracted so they don't have to go to the distraction that something that he'd actually do. like, he's cutting through all the bullshit one moment and sitting in a board meeting the next, past the point of caring then back to worrying about approval numbers again. it just feels a bit juddering to me rather than smooth development.

but the core performance and concept is compelling enough that it stays above water. if they end this well, it won't matter as much. all depends on what they do.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They showed him doing stuff quite a bit in the early parts of S1 and 2 as well, chucking folks about, killing that entire factory full of people, etc. Then we saw Ryan obliterate Stormfront who could take a beating pretty hard.

I think Homelanders limits in terms of big team battles and the like not being shown off too much works for the ambiguity of the show/situation the characters are in. They need to find a way to neutralise him, either depowered or killed and Butcher would probably very much like the former and then the latter. Whether it's even possible is a thing the characters are grappling with, it might turn out that Starlight is right and like, 8 or so heroes just beating the poo poo out of him with their powers would be enough but the reality of the show and the mindset of most of the characters who have powers means that's a difficult thing to convince anyone to pull the trigger on cause if they're wrong they're all loving dead. It probably won't come to that as that'd be a slightly unsatisfying way for it to play out, additionally as Dalael said, they are probably happy to not spend loads of money on scenes where Homelander is throwing a bus across a street to beat some villain or whatever. The shenanigans around trying to find a way to kill him and complications arising from that search are basically 99% of the show for now.

I could see Soldier Boy depowering him like his beams seem to if they hit a supe but then with Homelander it turns out to be very brief or it puts him in a state where it turns on and off randomly and Butcher wastes the chance to kill him cause he wants to enjoy it. If the latter happens then maybe we get a season or a chunk of a season where Homelander is now trying to keep that development on the downlow, suddenly living in a world where his years of poo poo could catch up to him if something bad happens while he's depowered or one of the victims he's created loses it at the wrong time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

roomtone posted:

yeah there is 'well logically he must be invincible because everyone on the show believes he is and they're all very strong' and there's 'holy poo poo, this guy is loving invincible'

i think they've kind of fumbled the execution of homelander over the course of show so far. not totally convinced by a lot of their status quo maintaining plot moves, his preoccupations and selective stupidity seem more intended to keep the character distracted so they don't have to go to the distraction that something that he'd actually do. like, he's cutting through all the bullshit one moment and sitting in a board meeting the next, past the point of caring then back to worrying about approval numbers again. it just feels a bit juddering to me rather than smooth development.

but the core performance and concept is compelling enough that it stays above water. if they end this well, it won't matter as much. all depends on what they do.

Kimiko's brother drops a loving train on him in s2 and it slows him down for like a minute.

He's pretty loving invincible.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Musical dance numbers where the camera is panned wide are great and we should have more of them in film/tv.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’ll come down to

Homelander: Nuclear-powered unkillable mutant

VS:

Nuclear-powered unkillable mutant… with advanced US Military combat training.

I do not get the sense that Homelander has ever had to fight, like really ever. He’s probably never even taken a punch from someone whose punches he could feel. If he and SB are even on the same power scale then SB is gonna clean Homie’s clock.

I hope that whatever happens at the end of S3, going in to S4, we stop with this “all the boys have separate plots and don’t ever really function as a team anymore” poo poo is over. This show is called “The Boys” and they never team up or spend time together anymore like the first couple seasons. I miss the group dynamic, I want more time of everyone in the room together, being mean to Hewie.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I miss the group dynamic, I want more time of everyone in the room together, being mean to Hewie.

We're back to everyone making GBS threads on Deep, so the spirit of teamwork is coming back !

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’ll come down to

Homelander: Nuclear-powered unkillable mutant

VS:

Nuclear-powered unkillable mutant… with advanced US Military combat training.

I do not get the sense that Homelander has ever had to fight, like really ever. He’s probably never even taken a punch from someone whose punches he could feel. If he and SB are even on the same power scale then SB is gonna clean Homie’s clock.

I hope that whatever happens at the end of S3, going in to S4, we stop with this “all the boys have separate plots and don’t ever really function as a team anymore” poo poo is over. This show is called “The Boys” and they never team up or spend time together anymore like the first couple seasons. I miss the group dynamic, I want more time of everyone in the room together, being mean to Hewie.
This is my theory too. He leans very heavily on his laser vision, he's obviously never prepared for a pitched fight where he actually has to strategize and defend himself.

One thing I liked about Infinity War/Endgame was that we saw how potent Thanos was even without the stones. He was near omnipotent with them, but that was just a perk at his base power level anyway. So it made sense he could largely hold his own most of the time.

But we haven't seen Homelander prove this- in fact Omniman is another example of an evil superman with a better gauge of his limits, because while he murks the pseudo Avengers singlehandedly they actually do put up a fight and he has to use his noodle at least somewhat to defeat all of them. Similarly when Immortal comes back he nearly manages to pop Omnimans eyeballs before getting ripped in half, so it's not entirely one sided.

With Homelander, I imagine it's going to be like when a depowered Q experiences hunger for the first time :byodood: "I'm dying!"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

roomtone posted:

He is fast enough to save Butcher and Stillwell's baby in S1 without a scratch. He gets a city block and a train dropped on him in S2. People like Maeve (hit by a truck) Starlight (took a .50 cal to the chest) and Noir (lived through a supe explosion) are terrified of him.

Short of a sequence of him tearing through a battlefield full of tanks or something I don't know how much more they can convey his invincibility.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bust Rodd posted:

In the scene where Homelander is watching SB's blast go off, it honestly looked to me like he was disturbed. Like he recognized who it was, but didn't want to say it, because he wasn't sure how well he'd be able to handle him. He immediately plays SB off as no real threat but demurs from actually confronting him because he has to deal with the stock price or whatever.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 hours!)

Mat Cauthon posted:

He is fast enough to save Butcher and Stillwell's baby in S1 without a scratch. He gets a city block and a train dropped on him in S2. People like Maeve (hit by a truck) Starlight (took a .50 cal to the chest) and Noir (lived through a supe explosion) are terrified of him.

Short of a sequence of him tearing through a battlefield full of tanks or something I don't know how much more they can convey his invincibility.

A scene of him tearing through a battlefield of tanks wouldn't hurt. But I think something like a super powered punch to the face where he didn't flinch but the puncher's fist disintegrates would do the trick, doesn't need to be that expensive.

The debris/train falling on him didn't hurt him, but there's no indication it would even hurt maeve or the other durable supes. It did slow him down though, which suggest there are limits to what he can do more than anything.

The rest of the things you said are off-screen and characters saying he's invincible which is the thing some of us are saying isn't as good as seeing it, so I don't know why you're bringing those up.

Panfilo posted:

With Homelander, I imagine it's going to be like when a depowered Q experiences hunger for the first time :byodood: "I'm dying!"

yeah he's gonna cry at the first slap he feels.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 17, 2022

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm still holding out hope that Cthulhu answers Timothy's prayers. Just the image of Homelander seeing a Kaiju attack New York would be great- awe, shock, and a bit of terror.

The time to show a montage of homelander getting hit with progressively bigger bullets (like Soldier Boy's russian videos) would have been way back in season 1, it's too late to show a stress test of him now.

Also Seth Rogan paid for 20 minutes, that was almost 400 bucks for a wank session.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I'm super (no pun intended) curious how the Russians kept SB restrained during their experimentation. Dude was conscious and active during those trials, but unable to tear out of his bonds? Is his power set more about durability than strength? Or I suppose they could have low level gassed him to keep him physically pliant without affecting his natural durability - which is quite something! Stormfront could take Homelander's eye lasers on low setting but it still damaged her; she just healed back from it. SB seemingly shrugs off (painfully maybe, but still) everything the Russians throw at him inside and out, without a scratch.

IIRC, in S1 they said that they couldn't drown or gas Translucent, and that guy was apparently more or less a normally squishy human on the inside even with his powers on. I wonder what the deal with that was, and whether Homelander could be gotten in some related way given that it seems plausible SB could be deprived of oxygen until succumbing, given his vulnerability to that gas. Or...what gas was it, did anyone catch? It's possibly some heinous nerve agent rather than anything that affects the lungs directly, so maybe not so plausible.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

My bet is that Homelander bites it in the season finale, Solider Boy does what (comic spoilers I guess?) Black Noir does and gets Homelander to the point where he's so badly wounded a v-ed up Butcher is able to rip out his heart and crush it right in front of him. And then Season 4 is all about the Boys banding together to stop Butcher from genociding 2% of Earth's population.

Because honestly, I don't see another season with the Boys all together, still fighting Homelander. They can't really stretch out this conflict any more and Butcher has hosed things up with his team way, way too much.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The gas was Holothane, a general anaesthetic. No idea of dosage, I guess the idea is use as much as possible till he stops moving then figure something out afterwards. The russians didn't seem too worried about keeping him alive.

e: Didn't they say at some point they want to have 5 seasons total? I can't see Homelander biting it with two more seasons planned out, though it really feels like there isn't much room left for him before he gets what's coming to him.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 17, 2022

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

My bet is that Homelander bites it in the season finale, Solider Boy does what (comic spoilers I guess?) Black Noir does and gets Homelander to the point where he's so badly wounded a v-ed up Butcher is able to rip out his heart and crush it right in front of him. And then Season 4 is all about the Boys banding together to stop Butcher from genociding 2% of Earth's population.

Because honestly, I don't see another season with the Boys all together, still fighting Homelander. They can't really stretch out this conflict any more and Butcher has hosed things up with his team way, way too much.

gently caress, I hope it is this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m extremely confident that you could use a tranquilizer with a powerful psychologically dissociative effect to neutralize a supe, provided you account for their metabolism. When someone is fully dissociative in a k-hole or similar, you fully divorce yourself from your body and it’s everything besides basic automated functions like breathing & bloodflow are functionally impossible for anyone not fully addicted to and/or resistant to the drug.

It doesn’t matter if you have super strength if you can’t lift your arms.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

If this is the way it’s going then I’d expect it to happen in a mid season finale rather than season finale since the Butcher being the final threat stuff in the comics feels more like denouement than climax

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I do honestly hope it's the last season with Homelander as the key threat, tbh. The show was more compelling and on message when it was "Homelander is a tyrant, but the real problem is that he's surrounded by people too selfish or cowardly to do anything about the wolf in the henhouse". The show has honestly lost a bit of its bite now that Homelander is framed as being just an unsolvable problem, because the corruption starts slipping into being rational decision making.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Things are so hosed that everyone has to become evil to combat it” seems like the overwhelming theme of S3, and I think we’ll need a full season to deal with the repercussions of every character ruining their own lives in this season.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I love Ashley's arc. Colby is doing such a great job.

Knows they're doing the wrong thing and serving a unhinged narcissist who is out of his depth and liable to turn on her. But the sacrifices to get there, position, and power would be jeopardized so you double down.

Who am I talking about, Ashley or Republicans like Lindsey Graham under Trump?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yah ashley's such a weasel and her actress is way good at selling it. At this point she kind of is Vought since either Homelander gets what he wants or is in over his head or everyone else is just a boring suit

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Also guys there is no way they're going to kill off Homelander in season 3. Let's just go ahead and move past that.

I think what's more likely to happen is Soldier Boy depowers him and season 4 is about him being a normal person and basically going through what he considers the ultimate humiliation like Deep. And season 5 will be him getting his powers back and lashing out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Also guys there is no way they're going to kill off Homelander in season 3. Let's just go ahead and move past that.

I think what's more likely to happen is Soldier Boy depowers him and season 4 is about him being a normal person and basically going through what he considers the ultimate humiliation like Deep. And season 5 will be him getting his powers back and lashing out.

"Stick your fingers in my loving gills, John!"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't know how much mileage they can get out of him being depowered but yeah, this sounds most likely to me. I just don't know if they can give him the Clockwork Orange treatment for a whole season. I still want him to put on Black Noir's outfit to hide amongst everyone, so something like that might play into it as well. Either way, the writers have been doing so drat good so far I trust them to get it right.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Laurie Holden's mouth gymnastics acting as the Crimson Lady are unsettling.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
odds they will "crank that soldier boy"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Soldier Boy won't do poo poo to Homelander because he seems mainly interested in panicking about gay people and doing violence against women