Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bloop posted:

It just was automatic when I was born, the doctor just did it, like they didn't ask if you want the umbilical cord cut, of course you did. And the penis.

It definitely wasn't because my pediatrician or parents were swayed by the Big Corn Flakes lobby or whatever
Why do you think it was a thing the doctor just did you doof. Being scared of kids touching their junk is why it became common, and once it was common it was normalised, and once it was normalised it was something that was just done because uhhhh well we did it to your dad so there must be a good reason for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Culture books feel like a weird premise to me. why do the humans have any agency at all, they are basically pets

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Culture books feel like a weird premise to me. why do the humans have any agency at all, they are basically pets

This is indeed the question of a solid 90% of the books.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Why do you think it was a thing the doctor just did you doof. Being scared of kids touching their junk is why it became common, and once it was common it was normalised, and once it was normalised it was something that was just done because uhhhh well we did it to your dad so there must be a good reason for it.

I already replied to a nearly exact post

I realize and agree the greater culture was affected but I know the motivations of my specific doctor and parents

But the AMA has standards which are generally followed and that's generally a good thing, and they change over time for a lot of reasons, mostly scientific. It's not surprising that doctors would follow common cultural practice and professional guidelines even if they don't personally have a weird motivation to do so

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bloop posted:

How am I expected to read all your posts with this enormous foreskin in the way.

e: but the point is you presented your own experience as a rebuttal when it's really not.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

How am I expected to read all your posts with this enormous foreskin in the way.

Posting Phimosis is a serious topic

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is indeed the question of a solid 90% of the books.

yea its 100% intentional lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bloop posted:

Posting Phimosis is a serious topic
Phimosis is caused by too small a foreskin god you're such a crewneck

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Deep, plunging V-neck

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rutibex posted:

research/alloy output

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

erosion posted:

I liked a few things. The superficial way everyone interacted with each other, reinforced by the mandatory apparat devices rating things like their fuckability. The otter cheerfully interrogating the main character at customs. People using capital-p 'Political' to indicate they were crossing a line with activism. And yeah, how the main character was kind of an unlikable loser. The environment of constant paranoia and discomfort while people tried to live their lives. And the bits formatted like chatlogs, which was something I hadn't seen.

I don't read a lot of books, I guess. :shrug:

your taste in books is terrible

read Cory Doctorow

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Bloop posted:

I realize and agree the greater culture was affected but I know the motivations of my specific doctor and parents

But the AMA has standards which are generally followed and that's generally a good thing, and they change over time for a lot of reasons, mostly scientific. It's not surprising that doctors would follow common cultural practice and professional guidelines even if they don't personally have a weird motivation to do so

as a trans woman, lol

a distressing amount of trans care is still based on harry benjamin, the most cis man ever born

circumcism

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are clearly exceptions and problems and both circumcision and trans care fall into that category, but just assuming orthodoxy is wrong is how you get vaccine deniers and poo poo

Those people would be making identical posts accusing my pediatrician and parents of being in the pocket of Big Vaccine, and they'd be wrong

I am not pro-circumcision I was just saying that everyone's direct motivation isn't about masturbation, then it spiraled into whatever all this is

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Bloop posted:

I am not pro-circumcision I was just saying that everyone's direct motivation isn't about masturbation, then it spiraled into whatever all this is

Shrecknet posted:

anti-circumcision advocates have the very funny combo of
1) pretty obviously being right
2) a total inability to not be weird about it and use insane language

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

for the record i'm 100% in favor of penis spiralation

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tokin opposition posted:

imgonna eat those spirals

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Surprising exactly nobody it turns out working in VR is a Miserable Experience:

quote:

Participants worked for seven days in VR, with 45-minute lunch breaks, and were asked multiple times throughout each day to grade their VR experience compared to working in a normal, real-world office across 10 stats, including perceived productivity, frustration, wellbeing, and anxiety. Participants were also asked specific VR-related questions, like if they felt sick, or if their eyes were starting to hurt. The research team also monitored their heartbeats and typing speed.

It turns out study participants felt like they had more work to do than in a normal office and felt more anxious and stressed while trying to do their jobs in VR. This lead to a 14% drop in self-described productivity, with “frustration” increasing by over 40% compared to baseline. This all contributed to an overall decrease in mental wellbeing. And as you might expect, participants variously suffered from increased eye strain, visual fatigue, nausea, and migraines as a result of spending so much time in virtual reality.
I now feel even more vindicated in ridiculing one of the most moronic SXSW panels I've ever seen: Gen Z, Metaverse and the Future of Work.

E: VVVVVV Hell yeah, thanks!

Sardonik has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Jun 17, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh hey i saw that youtube when you posted it back whenever and i dont think i told you i liked it (and i really really dont like longform youtubes), so take from that what you will

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sardonik posted:

I now feel even more vindicated in ridiculing one of the most moronic SXSW panels I've ever seen: Gen Z, Metaverse and the Future of Work.

Jesus loving christ

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i do not wish to be upscaled, thank you

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

tokin opposition posted:

i do not wish to be upscaled, thank you

In hindsight they probably meant 'upskill', though the idea of Web3 douchebags trying to sell people on becoming their best 4K selves is a potent image indeed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sardonik posted:

In hindsight they probably meant 'upskill', though the idea of Web3 douchebags trying to sell people on becoming their best 4K selves is a potent image indeed.
I would probably make people puke in even 240p, they need lower resolution me not higher

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

my boys birth defects were relatively easily correctable because of recent advances directly coming from bottom surgeries for trans folk and genital repairs for soldiers who got thier junk blown off by IEDs.

which is wild honestly. and uh some people will still end up “circumcised” for reasons related to this, I mean they’re still using that skin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sardonik posted:

In hindsight they probably meant 'upskill'

could be theyre scottish

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
for a while there i dressed in all blindingly white clothing with conspicuous eye searing red stains on the crotch of my jeans, it's a cool look, but everyone thought i was one of those anti circumcision freaks. ruined it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my boys birth defects were relatively easily correctable because of recent advances directly coming from bottom surgeries for trans folk and genital repairs for soldiers who got thier junk blown off by IEDs.

which is wild honestly. and uh some people will still end up “circumcised” for reasons related to this, I mean they’re still using that skin.

gonna get a job on fox news after i write an op ed about how transgenders are stealing foreskins and blown off troop nuts for bottom surgery

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Coach_HugginsJr/status/1536827823591145475?s=20&t=WtAZv6A0hkLL_q_Z71uYMQ

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Nobody is being exploited in the culture. The whole point is that there's no sinister undertone. Everyone just wants to hang out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

Nobody is being exploited in the culture. The whole point is that there's no sinister undertone. Everyone just wants to hang out

until they all vote for war

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Again, just hanging out. No exploitation. And the vote for war caused a society wide schism. Being cynical about the culture and just assuming it's Bioshock behind the scenes completely misses the point of the books

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Easier to imagine a thousand grim grimy cyberpunks than the end of capitalism utopia

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Tulip posted:

Every single robotics story going back to Frankenstein is really a story about the dire consequences of dehumanizing the Other, and every story that involves Turing Tests is a limited version of Descartes' demon (i.e. how can you tell that other people have interiors just because their exteriors look like yours). The implications for how you live in any society should be extremely obvious and getting really caught up the "loving magic" side of the equation is just to avoid confronting that you don't like your answers to "how do I treat other people."

in Turing's original formulation the AI was supposed to pretend to be a man pretending to be a woman

so pretending to be someone pretending to be someone of a different gender

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

power word- Jeb! posted:

in Turing's original formulation the AI was supposed to pretend to be a man pretending to be a woman

so pretending to be someone pretending to be someone of a different gender

yea the gender angle is p important imo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/flglmn/status/1537886999192883203

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lol

the chatbot is not sentient, it doesn't know what a lawyer is, and it doesn't even exist between being given inputs to generate responses to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do you exist between posts?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

None of y'all do

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

None of y'all do

Yeah but at least we're all fully aware of our almost permanent none existence.

But than any of those drat brainless google chat bots that doesn't even know enough to embrace the void.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

hobbesmaster posted:

do humans dream of mammalian sheep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
my other favorite thing about Turing's paper is that one of the objections he addresses is that you might be able to tell the human using esp

the original paper is worth a read https://academic.oup.com/mind/article/LIX/236/433/986238