Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So how does one play Warcraft 3, single player or otherwise, in the year of our lord two-thousand and twenty-two without having to install reforged or otherwise engage with Blizzard? I still have my old CD somewhere for both the original game and the expansion, so yeah, once I've installed that, how/where is the most recent patch for it that also doesn't force Reforged on me?

You can play and patch as normal with the classic graphics, it's just going to be a 20+GB game. Pretty sure you can just link your CD keys to BNET and install. There's not option to play reforged graphics unless you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You can play and patch as normal with the classic graphics, it's just going to be a 20+GB game. Pretty sure you can just link your CD keys to BNET and install. There's not option to play reforged graphics unless you buy it.

You're still getting the new campaign maps, recut dialogue and stuff, which might not be what you want when revisiting WC3.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Doesn't it also still break the old scripting and stuff in custom maps, too?

But yeah thanks everyone. Don't know why but out of the blue I literally just woke up this morning with a terrible urge to revisit this old game.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

THE BAR posted:

You're still getting the new campaign maps, recut dialogue and stuff, which might not be what you want when revisiting WC3.

There's no changes in maps if you haven't purchased reforged, Stratholme is still the same map.

The have changed the text to say "Grommash Hellscream" every time his name comes up, but the spoken dialog still says "Grom".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

There's no changes in maps if you haven't purchased reforged, Stratholme is still the same map.

Really! Well that's good at least.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The rumors were true and a patch with ladder and profiles is actually coming soon. It’s in PTR now I guess.

https://twitter.com/warcraft3/status/1536781741230239744?s=21&t=DRvpdcIEBRf-lkIY6cYj8w

“First of multiple patches coming this year” lol any guesses on the number? Two is technically multiple.

Bless the creators of W3Champions for stepping in for like two years but I can never find a game on there so official ladder will hopefully replace them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Has "and more" ever be used as anything other than trying to pad the list to look more impressive and been anything but a total lie since every other feature has already been included?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Has "and more" ever be used as anything other than trying to pad the list to look more impressive and been anything but a total lie since every other feature has already been included?

It’s actually very funny

quote:

Reforged Campaign

Numerous tuning and balance adjustments have been made to multiple campaign maps.

Spending time on the campaign balance at this point is wild

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Somehow this patch is going to accidentally delete starcraft 2 from the blizz store or something

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SC2 is kind of borked anyway since it really goddamn hard to buy the individual campaigns now (I'm not paying for all 3 when I already own WoL and HotS and may just want LotV, you bastards)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

, lmao

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Spending time on the campaign balance at this point is wild

Apparently it's a whole bunch of changes made to the RoC campaigns in Reforged mode, specifically, and a lot of the work was done before they disbanded the Classic Games Team at the end of 2020. Still, the changes are at least interestingly extensive, with a lot of emphasis on difficulty settings; a lot of RoC campaign maps just kinda... didn't have a Hard difficulty. Hard mode overall is getting a lot more ball-busting in the RoC campaigns, and there are generally a couple more interesting changes being made... including Kel'thuzad in Scourge of Lordaeron getting turned into a more proper boss fight, with KT's necromancer form getting turned into a Hero.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I played WC3R on hard it did feel extremely easy for some reason.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

jokes posted:

When I played WC3R on hard it did feel extremely easy for some reason.

Well guess what, now, two years later, you can play it as intended!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Playing it on vanilla I honestly thought the difficulty of the campaigns was pretty spotty

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
A lot of things were changed in the campaign during development of Reforged, many of them... unintentional, which significantly impacted the difficulty of some campgaign maps. It was a combination of some deliberate changes along with some people not really understanding what made the original maps work and ultimately some stuff made it into the final product that didn't exactly work as intended.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 22, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone have any trouble right clicking murlocs to attack? Not that their camps are difficult or anything but I have so much trouble trying to click individual ones, almost like they're slippery to click on. Maybe their models are smaller or something? I do think it's easier to select attack and left click on them manually than just right click but I want to know if anyone else has ever had this problem, even if with other creeps/units.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does anyone have any trouble right clicking murlocs to attack? Not that their camps are difficult or anything but I have so much trouble trying to click individual ones, almost like they're slippery to click on. Maybe their models are smaller or something? I do think it's easier to select attack and left click on them manually than just right click but I want to know if anyone else has ever had this problem, even if with other creeps/units.
Try aiming at the bottom right of their model. Or bottom left if they're moving upward. I forgot if WC3 has a selection ring, but imagine clicking "inside" of that.

Can a move work in this situation also? In general, I a+left click stuff but that might be a weird me thing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Nah a+left click definitely works better for some reason, I picked up the habit because a lot of customs use janky custom models that are near impossible to right click. Not sure if it actually has a bigger click radius or it's just muscle memory, but it works for me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDFDIB-2fxg

The crossover I always hoped for happened

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

theres a new patch and you can zoom WAY out

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

uniball posted:

theres a new patch and you can zoom WAY out

I guess that's a way to fix the new, bad graphics.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Also, the campaign got a bunch of changes; though don't get excited, the changes were made two years ago by people no longer at Blizzard, but it's nice to see them finally implemented.

In short, the Reign of Chaos campaigns (in Reforged mode, of course) actually have a Hard Mode now, and it's pretty drat ball-busting. And when I say "actually have a hard mode", I mean the guy dumped a changelog on Hive Workshop a few months ago (and I can confirm it's accurate, more or less), and *several* missions literally include the words "Hard mode did not exist" under their list of changes.

Lots of the Hard Mode changes include either more enemies and less units for yourself in No-Build Missions, or smaller gold mines, bigger/faster attack waves and enemies starting with 1/1 upgrades on regular missions. Lots of enemy heroes that didn't already were made to level-scale with difficulty; the Hearthglen Holdout, notorious for being a bit of a spike, was arguably made easier. Yeah, some of the attack waves got a bit bigger, but most of the Meat Wagons were removed from attack waves, and the Liches now scale with difficulty, and neither one is level 10 even on Hard Mode. You can even go through the middle of the map to reach the Plague Caravan's starting point without going through Green's base, accomplished by simply moving the entrance of his base back out of the way of that path so you're not high-fiving the defenders on the way past.

A few bosses/minibosses were made less of a joke; Kel'thuzad's Necromancer form is a Hero now, and he uses Death Pact to heal himself (that's all he does, however; doesn't even use the Necromancer spells that I have confirmed in the editor that he has) and both of the new minibosses in Culling ported backward from the Wrath of the Lich King dungeon (Meathook and Salramm the Fleshcrafter) were made a lot more painful; Meathook's Disease Cloud hits like a freight train, and Salramm the Fleshcrafter just also hits like a truck and does AoE, in addition to the Finger of Death spell I'm pretty sure he already had. Sylvanas on Hard Mode now gets Starfall starting from Key of the Three Moons.

There's even an instance or two of a fairly major terrain change; they added a way in the third Orc level to reach the Goblin Laboratory without fighting the humans, though the changelog noted a "special surprise" on said path, but I haven't seen that level yet. There's a lot more, too, and though most of it is hardmode-specific, it's a very interesting set of changes.

I'm just sad they were sat on for two years, and thus it's unlikely we'll get anything similar again any time soon.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 19, 2022

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

BlazetheInferno posted:

both of the new minibosses in Culling ported backward from the Wrath of the Lich King dungeon (Meathook and Salramm the Fleshcrafter)

Gah, I'd forgotten how cool the original plan for the game was before the anti-Wow crowd started losing it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, I'm still salty that they weren't able to re-record dialogue like they originally wanted to.

Not because I necessarily wanted the new dialogue, but because not being able to resulted in the terribly-spliced "HELLSCREAM"s in the Orc campaign(s). I still don't get why Blizzard refuses to allow the name "Grom" to be used anymore.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

the rumor is that it’s because of the Honda Grom. idk for sure tho

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wikipedia says that production started in 2014 though. Seems like blizzard would have dibs, though I've given up making heads or tails of copyright law

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Not gonna lie, one of my favorite touches so far is that a bunch of enemy Alliance Heroes that used to use generic random-hero names have been given actual lore-based names; or at least names that somewhat better fit the faction they're supposed to be from. Like, the Archmage with the Kul Tiran Marines in the Orc Prologue mission 3, now he has a name that makes him sound like a Tidesage. The various Archmagi in Silvermoon have been given Elven names, and all the ones in the "Defend Kel'thuzad while he summons Archimonde" mission are mostly proper Kirin Tor-aligned NPCs (or would have been at that point in time). And then in the Orc campaign, the Alliance Heroes you come across all take their names from NPCs that either could be found in Theramore in WoW, or were at least on Kalimdor; Archmage Xylem shows up a couple times.

So far I'm up to the end of the Orc Campaign, for now I've left off as I'm about to start the last orc level.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
All I wanted to do was replay the Rexxar map but nooo here I am out $$ and stuck in the sentinel of the tides campaign because it crashes to desktop on a certain mission every single goddamn time.

Oh and saves still don’t work.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

All I wanted to do was replay the Rexxar map but nooo here I am out $$ and stuck in the sentinel of the tides campaign because it crashes to desktop on a certain mission every single goddamn time.

Oh and saves still don’t work.

cheats still work!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cheats still work!

Not if you can't get into the map, they don't.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Not if you can't get into the map, they don't.

try skipping from the previous level?

Motherland [race] [level]

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

try skipping from the previous level?

Motherland [race] [level]

I haven't run into this particular issue myself yet because I haven't tried to play these levels; but if the crash occurs before you actually enter the map from the loading screen or cinematic, it doesn't matter how you reach the level. Also, level skip does nothing to help the Rexxar campaign, which includes countless loading screens and cinematics within a single mission for the game to crash at or lock up at.

The issue people have is not "I can't beat the mission", the issue is "I can't play the mission."

They're not just there for the completion sticker; they want to play the game.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

He said he just wanted to play the Rexxar map but was stuck on the night elf campaign.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

He said he just wanted to play the Rexxar map but was stuck on the night elf campaign.

Yeah, but I’m not real positive it’s going to be fun if I do get to it considering how many CTDs I’m seeing. And saves not working. What a mess.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The campaign might still be broken but I uninstalled w3champions because the new BNet finally works right. The lag even feels really good along with there being other many other bad players to match up against

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So I am playing classic through the reforged client because I never bought reforged but have the old keys on my account from back in the day

So the map editor is history now, there is no way to access it?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Med School posted:

So I am playing classic through the reforged client because I never bought reforged but have the old keys on my account from back in the day

So the map editor is history now, there is no way to access it?

click Launch Editor in the bnet launcher. right under the big war3 logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Thank you!

So great to at least play the original game without buying reforged and also to just pretend reforged never happened.

Thinking about it, Warcraft 3 was one of the last games of that tradition that had awesome, thick manuals packed with lore. The Warcraft 2 manual was really one of the reasons I started drawing all the time as a little kid. Those were the days for manuals!