Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

rydiafan posted:

Why whatever do you mean?

honestly it seems like there are a lot of grocery stores here too so the number of bars must be even higher

unrelated, this video as an absolutely idiotic hack idea in it: DIY cast your own SOLID METAL USB CHARGER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITP6uA8AFto&t=16s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Oh nice, Ann Reardon has another video out.

I liked the one where she just casually reverse engineered Cadbury Flake.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Light Gun Man posted:

honestly it seems like there are a lot of grocery stores here too so the number of bars must be even higher

unrelated, this video as an absolutely idiotic hack idea in it: DIY cast your own SOLID METAL USB CHARGER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITP6uA8AFto&t=16s

I happened to watch this yesterday, that hack was such a (literally) shockingly terrible idea on so many levels. Like oh okay, electricity is basically just jamming pieces of metal together and making sure they fit! So simple! :shepicide:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sir Lemming posted:

I happened to watch this yesterday, that hack was such a (literally) shockingly terrible idea on so many levels. Like oh okay, electricity is basically just jamming pieces of metal together and making sure they fit! So simple! :shepicide:

Technically it doesn't have to be metal, but the right kind of metal gets you better energy transfer. You can use any semiconductor or conductor you like. Fun fact, human beings are semiconductors.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Fun fact, human beings are semiconductors.

I don't care how much human you jam into an electrical outlet, it's not gonna magically become a USB charger.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kwyndig posted:

Technically it doesn't have to be metal, but the right kind of metal gets you better energy transfer. You can use any semiconductor or conductor you like. Fun fact, human beings are semiconductors.

Not my uncle, he's a conductor

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Piell posted:

Not my uncle, he's a conductor

Yeah but not all the time

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Neito posted:

Singlehandedly saved the RI, CT, MA, VT, and NH billboard industries.

I know you're just making a joke, but I feel the need to point out that Vermont has no billboards.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fil5000 posted:

:lol:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Fil5000 posted:

well that's the power of a strong union.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

I know you're just making a joke, but I feel the need to point out that Vermont has no billboards.

Wait, are you being serious?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zipperelli. posted:

Wait, are you being serious?

Yes! Also, Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It makes sense in Alaska they don't have lots of roads suitable for billboards

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Limiting the brightness of illuminated signs should be a thing everywhere.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm not sure about the other states, but Maine was a forerunner of this. LBJ's wife led a movement to ban billboards in Maine after she visited and didn't want to see billboards poo poo up the scenery.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
This is extremely cool knowledge I didn't have before.

Thanks, goons!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Speaking of LBJ another great life hack is to take a poo poo with the door open while berating a united states senator to intimidate him with your giant hog.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Kwyndig posted:

It makes sense in Alaska they don't have lots of roads suitable for billboards

I mean there is 40+ miles of road that people from the mat-su valley drive each direction every work day to Anchorage that would be prime for billboards, but p much everyone up here hates even the thought of the idea.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

evilpicard posted:

Speaking of LBJ another great life hack is to take a poo poo with the door open while berating a united states senator to intimidate him with your giant hog.

Lifehack: drive your car into the water without telling your guests it’s an aqua car to jazz up your get togethers!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
another LBJ life hack: get all your pants let out hwere yer nuts hang so it's not like sittin on a waar fence

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Another LBJ life hack: Get the CIA to assasinate your boss so you get the top job

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1522240720521867269

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

spookykid posted:

I mean there is 40+ miles of road that people from the mat-su valley drive each direction every work day to Anchorage that would be prime for billboards, but p much everyone up here hates even the thought of the idea.

I have to imagine just how few people would actually see it probably is an issue. Like if you're just advertising to the 20 people who drive that road every day that doesn't seem a good use of money.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
More LBJ life hackxxx:

Badger the White House chef to leave you midnight snacks hidden in the fridge so you can cheat on your nasty cottage cheese diet without your doc or your wife finding out.

As a power move, call your tailor and have an unnecessarily graphic conversation about how your huge dick n balls don't fit in the crotch of your pants.

The LBJ tapes are incredible. I heard about these on the Lions Led by Donkeys Podcast. The actual audio of LBJ describing his junk is :discourse:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Life Pro Tip: You can distract attention from your genocidal war in SE Asia by presiding over the greatest expansion of civil rights in a generation

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

More LBJ life hackxxx:

Badger the White House chef to leave you midnight snacks hidden in the fridge so you can cheat on your nasty cottage cheese diet without your doc or your wife finding out.

As a power move, call your tailor and have an unnecessarily graphic conversation about how your huge dick n balls don't fit in the crotch of your pants.

The LBJ tapes are incredible. I heard about these on the Lions Led by Donkeys Podcast. The actual audio of LBJ describing his junk is :discourse:

look up his shower

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

muscles like this! posted:

I have to imagine just how few people would actually see it probably is an issue. Like if you're just advertising to the 20 people who drive that road every day that doesn't seem a good use of money.

Anchorage and the Mat-Su valley are the most densely populated area in the state, carrying a little over half the state's population in two contiguous boroughs. There are few high-paying jobs in the valley, but housing and general cost-of-living is much lower than in Anchorage, so a very large percentage of the valley commutes into Anchorage every day.

To make it even more frustrating for those commuters, there is only one highway you can take to make it into the city, and no backstreets to cut through or shortcuts to take. If an 18 wheeler jackknifes on the highway it becomes a parking lot with backups sometimes exceeding 10 miles long.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lifehack: build and run a railway.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Alaska rail is all based on industrial, rather than light-rail commuter. There are lines that run from Anchorage to all the way to the biggest three towns in the valley, but most of the rail bypasses those towns because it can go on a much better maintained track kept up purely for capitalism. The lines into Wasilla/Palmer/Willow/Sutton are all 50+ years old and limited down to 10mph at some points. I took a train from Anchorage to Palmer a couple years ago, and the whole process took about 2.5 hours. Another Big Problem(TM) is the fact that the rail yard is just off downtown, and these folks would all need to be bussed to their workplaces in a 10sq mile radius from there, and our bus system is notoriously garbage. Yes AK could have fixed this and gone in a different direction, but the time for that was the late 1970's when there was rarely any commuter traffic from the valley :ironicat:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rbvsxmFLL41vmay6q.mp4

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

That's certainly what it felt like I was doing as a kid

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I wish he held it up triumphantly for the crowd to see at the end

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem with guillotining your bagel is the two halves will almost certainly fall on the floor and I refuse to believe your guillotine installation is kept hospital sterile.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with guillotining your bagel is the two halves will almost certainly fall on the floor and I refuse to believe your guillotine installation is kept hospital sterile.

I HAVE AN IMMUNE SYSTEM! #lifehack

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

PYF Stupid Lifehacks: behold the bread of a traitor

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Let them eat bagels!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

muscles like this! posted:

spookykid gave you a good correction, but as someone who lives on said road, even a hundred miles out traffic is rather more like 100 cars an hour. That was a guess based on my feelings about how much road noise I experience, but the DOT website says annual average daily traffic in my vicinity is about 2500 to 3000 cars. While the Parks is, in fact, some lovely two-lane blacktop in the middle of nowhere, it also happens to be the main passenger and cargo artery in the state.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Do not watch this if you don't want to see hosed up hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzosDKcXQ0I

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't believe Youtube won't block those videos. The "hack" shown there is extremely dangerous. I did find the other hack funny, how are you supposed to make a jelly without gelatin and heat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

I can't believe Youtube won't block those videos.

Why not?