Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rabble rabble posted:

wait then where do you park oh god

you literally dont. you can try to do street parking and end up getting your door knocked by cops 5 mornings or evenings a week. cities are absolutely trying to stem the van/rv squatters as hard as they can.

there are 'adult rv parks' which is not as sexy as it seems. it just means the tenants have to be 55+, nobody under that age can visit for more than one night, and kids are not allowed at all. if you're old you can post up in one of those. theyre miserable tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

rabble rabble posted:

wait then where do you park oh god

BLM land. Otherwise you'll get harassed

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
sounds like freedom to me :911:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Find shitter dumps.

https://www.rvdumps.com/dump-stations-by-state/

I just don't know how ideal it really is to build where I am, even if it is cheap. Mobility seems ideal for the near future anyhow, and I wouldn't mind seeing the parks of the PNW before it all burns to the ground, the southwest before the Colorado dries up entirely, maybe check out Canadian parks, never make my way to texas.

But I'm at least a year out from any of this nonsense so who knows what I'll do by then. It's a fun pipe dream though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

someone who had moved from memphis told me they had done a really nice reno of their condo, it was like 1400 SF, two floors, kitchen remodel was super nice and costs 40k, it sold last year for... 325k

man if you are willing to live in a terrible place you can possibly sort of afford a home maybe

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He probably lived in Cordova or Bartlett if that's what he's claiming.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He probably lived in Cordova or Bartlett if that's what he's claiming.

no it was downtown, I looked it up, zip is 38103

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

actionjackson posted:

no it was downtown, I looked it up, zip is 38103

I'll be damned.

Well, there's midtown. That's full of white people who can afford to renovate. Also Mud Island.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also Mud Island.

Please don't dox my back yard

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mud Island is the Memphis version of sea level rise. It's in the Mississippi and every few years a quality flood comes through and fucks up half the place.

Insurers love it!

I lived in Memphis for 5 years, the Cordova end (city/county line was my back fence). I do not recommend it.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Schmeichy posted:

We got a van with the idea of camping in it instead of living in it full-time, but before the pandemic we got a used dodge caravan that we outfitted with a camping storage station and bed. I think it was around 10k (we did a trade in). Hasn't needed much maintenance so far. It's also our daily driver.

I have been interested in doing this. I want something I can stealth camp in and work vans are too much of a break in risk because people think they're full of tools.

Also lovely work vans are now $10,000 when they used to be $1,000 :v:

Edit: to be clear I just want a weekend camper vehicle, I have a home I don't need to do the Nomadland thing. I want to go camping but thanks to the pandemic all the campgrounds fill up too quickly for me to compete, hence the stealth camping

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Jun 17, 2022

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Lacrosse posted:

I have been interested in doing this. I want something I can stealth camp in and work vans are too much of a break in risk because people think they're full of tools.

Also lovely work vans are now $10,000 when they used to be $1,000 :v:

We just took the back seats out, put in some plastic platforms for a bed frame, got some futon cushions for a mattress, and rigged up some curtains. Works great, and you could do it a lot nicer if you wanted. There are so many ideas on YouTube

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/1537519161676550150?s=20&t=FrxDfkjNuGFFyKJJXfBQjg

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Is there any consensus on the smallest appropriate amount to take a former landlord to small claims court for? My ex-landlord is holding back money for repainting a room, which he shouldn't have done because in this state landlords can only take deductions if they return the remainder of the deposit within two weeks and provide documentation of their costs. It's not a lot but I could ask for damages, including punitive damages (landlord has violated the law before, and frankly I'm furious at how I bent over backward to be a nice, compliant tenant).

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

Is there any consensus on the smallest appropriate amount to take a former landlord to small claims court for? My ex-landlord is holding back money for repainting a room, which he shouldn't have done because in this state landlords can only take deductions if they return the remainder of the deposit within two weeks and provide documentation of their costs. It's not a lot but I could ask for damages, including punitive damages (landlord has violated the law before, and frankly I'm furious at how I bent over backward to be a nice, compliant tenant).

idk what's best for YOU but what's best for the world is to get him for all you can get no matter how small

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

trickybiscuits posted:

Anything less than the cost of the filing fee + postage you can let go.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

trickybiscuits posted:

Is this Pennsylvania? That sounds exactly like the PA law and in PA (landlord tenant act of 1951) your landlord owes you treble damages no matter what if they violate the two week return + documentation limit.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

trickybiscuits posted:

different cities have different statutes or w/e but talk to a lawyer, you may be surprised at how much you can recover.

Here in Chicago they're supposed to pay 0.01% interest on your deposit, my friend had a similar dispute to yours and his lawyer found out they failed to do this and won a judgement for $14k

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

when i moved out of ohio i sent my landlord a registered letter asking for my deposit back (at that point if he didnt get the itemized list to me in 30 days they owed the entire deposit back) he sent me a check with a note saying i left the place a mess with a lot of repairs needed (i didnt) bit he decided to be generous and give me the entire amount back

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

always take pictures of your old unit when you leave. 100% of the time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

also always take pictures before you move in too + full video walktrhough just incase you missed something.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Thanks everyone for the responses. Before I start ranting:

cool av posted:

idk what's best for YOU but what's best for the world is to get him for all you can get no matter how small
Yup

El Mero Mero posted:

Anything less than the cost of the filing fee + postage you can let go.
Filing fee is like ten dollars. Honestly I think that if it's enough for him to break the law, it's enough to take him to court.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is this Pennsylvania? That sounds exactly like the PA law and in PA (landlord tenant act of 1951) your landlord owes you treble damages no matter what if they violate the two week return + documentation limit.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

different cities have different statutes or w/e but talk to a lawyer, you may be surprised at how much you can recover.

Here in Chicago they're supposed to pay 0.01% interest on your deposit, my friend had a similar dispute to yours and his lawyer found out they failed to do this and won a judgement for $14k
It's NY, under the Tenant Protection Act of 2019. Residents can sue for punitive damages up to twice the value of the deposit (and the deposit is supposed to be equal to one month's rent, while this landlord demanded nearly twice that). I texted him about this law and I don't think he thinks it applies to him? Or I'm using it to scare him or something? I'm not going to take him to court over like thirty dollars? Or he'll just show up in court and say he was busy? He's a weird combination of micromanager who's obsessed with his property, and absentee landlord who can't be bothered to visit his property often enough to communicate what he wants and then flips out when people don't do what he wants them to. His behavior was a factor in the other two roommates deciding not to renew the lease, which in turn screwed me over because it was cheap and a good place to live.

The thing is that I would have been disappointed but okay with him deducting like thirty bucks to touch up the paint in a room that clearly hadn't been painted in years, if he'd just gotten the rest of the deposit back in time. He texted that he had planned to return the money the weekend after it was due. But he sent me a check the day after I first texted him, and he could have sent the money electronically, the same way we paid our rent. So there wasn't any reason why he couldn't return it in time- he just didn't care.

euphronius posted:

I did, fortunately. My roommates and I left before the end of the month had to come back because the landlord texted us that we hadn't done a good enough job of cleaning, so after like seven hours of cleaning years worth of dirt from the kitchen (I'd lived there for not quite a full calendar year and my roommates were there for two and six years respectively), I took photos of everything. I took a paralegal course years ago and worked in law offices so I can document pedantically with the best of them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

after the fed rate hike the average 30 year rate went to 5.78, up from 5.23 the previous week lol

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=NUh

my father told me that rates are actually too low, because when they bought their home in the 80s it was 13%. of course housing was cheaper than and wages were better.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

after the fed rate hike the average 30 year rate went to 5.78, up from 5.23 the previous week lol

my father told me that rates are actually too low, because when they bought their home in the 80s it was 13%. of course housing was cheaper than and wages were better.

housing was cheaper, in part, BECAUSE the interest rates were higher

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spergin Morlock posted:

housing was cheaper, in part, BECAUSE the interest rates were higher

if that were true you would expect housing prices to drop during rate hikes and yet:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reagan taught us how to live, and that living in a house was proper and modern, unlike the backwards Soviet world

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Yeah 13% doesn't matter as much when great homes could be bought for under $150k and relative wages were way higher.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Yeah 13% doesn't matter as much when great homes could be bought for under $150k and relative wages were way higher.

though 125k in January 1985 is 346K now

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

actionjackson posted:

though 125k in January 1985 is 346K now

the median house price in 1985 was 60k

edit: that was 3x the median household income. houses now cost 6x+ the median household income, sometimes up to 10x depending on the area.

anime was right has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Jun 21, 2022

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/WSJCentralBanks/status/1539252841235238916

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

nothing is listing on the low segment.

mid segment buyers have dropped down to low segment and those still sell when if they list.

anything above the ceiling sits.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-21/we-re-already-seeing-the-stock-market-selloff-spill-into-the-housing-market

quote:

On the conference call, Lennar’s co-CEO and co-president Rick Beckwitt cited the stock market selloff a few times, when talking about buyer hesitancy, and an uptick in canceled orders. He then specifically called out softening in the Seattle market:

“The higher priced and highly sought after locations around Seattle had seen a significant rollback in sales in May and early June. This pullback is a result of both continued price appreciation in the first quarter causing concern over home values being values being overpriced, and stock market corrections, which have had a direct impact on employee stock compensation plans. We've adjusted crisis in some communities to keep for pricing, and it seemed to sales up to with this correction, which demonstrates the underlying strength of the market.”

Of course, there are a lot of tech workers in Seattle, for whom stock-based compensation is a big part of their total earnings. And so with tech stocks really getting hammered, homebuying activity in what had been one of the strongest US markets is cooling down.

:sickos:

as someone in tech, it was always weird to see techbros hopped up on FIRE double/triple-down on being reliant on tech for income in terms of getting paid in tech stocks, doubling down on re-investing in tech, and getting home loans predicated on tech stocks etc

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

they listed small 3-2 town houses theyre now building way the gently caress out by me for 900,000. they aren’t selling.

sat on the lots too long fuckers

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

reset that price point now fuckers.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you don’t have kids, property prices around superfund sites seem much more reasonable and most of the risks seem avoidable if you don’t eat the dirt. Google “Tacoma smelter plume” for more info

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

too late on Tacoma but the island still is occasionally affordable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
its kinda weird having seen most of the pacnw being hollowed-out old timber-farming (timber belt) / old foundry-smelting towns with cheap land where now the only industry left is meth and gas stations, indistinguishable from most rust belt towns, to super overpriced tech/computer touching-friendly upscale towns.

a lot of the 80-90 grunge or other music scene was all about how destitute and lovely it was there

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

if you don’t have kids, property prices around superfund sites seem much more reasonable and most of the risks seem avoidable if you don’t eat the dirt. Google “Tacoma smelter plume” for more info

https://www.candelaslife.com
https://www.candelasglows.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shrike82 posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-21/we-re-already-seeing-the-stock-market-selloff-spill-into-the-housing-market

:sickos:

as someone in tech, it was always weird to see techbros hopped up on FIRE double/triple-down on being reliant on tech for income in terms of getting paid in tech stocks, doubling down on re-investing in tech, and getting home loans predicated on tech stocks etc

this owns ty for sharing