Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WebDO posted:

At least Sotomayor was honest and reminded everyone that we can change all these monstrous decisions, we just have to go to war again.

Just don't gently caress up the Reconstruction this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Just don't gently caress up the Reconstruction this time!

Don't worry, the fascists won't hold back when they win.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I mean of course it's all just a game to even the liberal justices, not surprised about that part as it's not the first time one has done this, but how am I supposed to find that an encouraging pep talk? Like she is literally saying that her and her coworkers job is to do monstrous things and the only way to stop them is to start a war? Like it's closer to what a bond villain would say in a monologue than a "pep talk"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Main Paineframe posted:

The theory is that the supply chain got hosed up not just because of COVID, but also because people were buying more stuff in the midst of the pandemic (and its associated wage increases), and moreover that they were buying different stuff than usual because of the lifestyle changes. The supply chain wasn't able to shift to support those changed demand patterns and general higher-than-expected demand.

The thinking goes that if people stop buying as much non-essential stuff, it'll reduce the pressure on supply chains, give industries some breathing room to fill in the various goods shortages, and allow things to get back to a more normal state.

I think it's a rather shortsighted view, though. While there's certainly some numbers supporting my first paragraph, the second one ignores some very important external factors. For example, I've seen several economics articles popping their eyes at the fact that Americans aren't cutting back their driving in the face of these massive gas prices...but none of those articles made the connection that it's not really like they have much choice with so many CEOs beating the "return to office" drum.

As someone who buys a lot of large HVAC equipment, it’s computer chips. That is mostly screwed up because China keeps shutting down and the US has very little domestic chip manufacturing capacity. Intel and others are building domestic factories, but that will take probably 3 years before they start producing. Lots and lots of equipment is getting delayed because they can’t finish the controls part. It’s driving up lead times and then driving up costs because demand is still really high from stimulus money.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sir Kodiak posted:

Can someone walk me through why we're mad about the DOJ asking for more information about what the select committee has learned? I appreciate the general consternation at the DOJ's slow progress and the suspicion that the DOJ getting more information might not lead to anything, but it seems like people are taking this as an affirmative indicator of the DOJ's ineffectiveness and I'm curious why that is.

People are mad at the DOJ for not moving faster, and many have concluded that they're never going to prosecute anyone higher up. Some people are so confident in this conclusion that all information gets interpreted in that light even when it doesn't really make sense.

Criminal prosecution works on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. They don't need affirmative justification for not prosecuting. There is literally no reason to request more information if not prosecuting is a forgone conclusion, besides putting on a show of doing their jobs, which is entirely possible.

Again, I'm not saying they'll ever prosecute Trump or any of the relevant proud boys. But anyone who saw the request for transcripts and info and thought "clearly they're looking for excuses to not prosecute" has lost the tune. Lack of evidence is by far the most expedient excuse.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 17, 2022

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is so goddamned funny that Biden decided to recapitulate the enormous own goal of Obama keeping Comey on-staff with Garland.

surely, trusting to individual virtue of people selected for their ability to play nice with republicans won't bite a dem administration THIS time!

It was definitely keeping a moderate around that was the “own goal” here, and not like, sending your husband to have an off-the-record meeting with the charging authority, publicly offering that authority a job if you won, or having the sitting President be like “nothing bad happened” while the investigation was still in progress.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Not the best look in Pennsylvania of all states.

https://twitter.com/salon/status/1537753718807994369?s=21&t=E0U2p6aP3bbFEfgZJ3NSvg

quote:

But a personal financial disclosure filed by Oz's campaign in April shows that he stands to profit from investments in the exact companies he blamed for causing the price increases.

The disclosure showed that Oz has invested between $280,000 and $600,000 in UnitedHealth and another $50,000 to $100,000 in CVS Health. He also has between $1,000 and $15,000 in Cigna stock.

Article lists the MULTIPLE stories, investigations, and articles Oz has done which investigate this so he won’t be able to say he didn’t know.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Epic High Five posted:

I mean of course it's all just a game to even the liberal justices, not surprised about that part as it's not the first time one has done this, but how am I supposed to find that an encouraging pep talk? Like she is literally saying that her and her coworkers job is to do monstrous things and the only way to stop them is to start a war? Like it's closer to what a bond villain would say in a monologue than a "pep talk"

It's probably the most hardcore words from a non-conservative in a few decades, yeah

Bel Shazar posted:

Don't worry, the fascists won't hold back when they win.

Eh, they'll probably have a more banging name than "Reconstruction" at the least

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1537754965774573569

Gas cards were considered again but with a different twist this time

quote:

Biden officials are taking a second look at whether the federal government could send rebate cards out to millions of American drivers to help them pay at gas stations — an idea they examined months ago before ruling it out. Aides had found that shortages in the U.S. chip industry would make it hard to produce enough rebate cards, two people familiar with the matter said. White House officials also fear there would be no way to prevent consumers from using them for purchases other than gasoline, according to another person familiar with the discussions. Even if the administration embraces the proposal, it would probably require congressional approval and face long odds among lawmakers wary of spending more money.

At this point I feel like they're gonna consider every option except just giving people money again?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

quote:

White House officials also fear there would be no way to prevent consumers from using them for purchases other than gasoline

This part sticks out to me the most. I get they're trying to provide relief from the elevated gas prices, but they get in their own way trying to make sure people don't use their relief the "wrong way." Just send everyone a check with a note, "Here's some money to help with the gas", and trust that people will use it properly. If they don't that's on them. Or maybe they need some extra cash to feed their family and your gas relief check helped them with that instead, and guess what, the gov't will still look good helping people.

Why can't they just help people with no strings attached?

E: probably me getting a little bit :tinfoil: but by making it so the relief can only be spent specifically on gas, it's kind of an indirect relief package to the oil companies.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 17, 2022

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Velocity Raptor posted:

E: probably me getting a little bit :tinfoil: but by making it so the relief can only be spent specifically on gas, it's kind of an indirect relief package to the oil companies.

When manchin said "poor people spend relief money on drugs", I get the feeling he's not the only person who thinks that. The democrats have also internalized the republican "welfare queen" myth, and are terrified of helping someone who might not need it that bad.

Also, your bit about the relief package for the oil companies (even though they're getting more profit now than ever before) wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility either.

Edit:

Solkanar512 posted:

It's much simpler than that - if people who "don't need" help get help, then that's government waste and that's worse than death.

Unless your last name is "LLC" or "Inc", then the sky's the limit.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 17, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Velocity Raptor posted:

This part sticks out to me the most. I get they're trying to provide relief from the elevated gas prices, but they get in their own way trying to make sure people don't use their relief the "wrong way." Just send everyone a check with a note, "Here's some money to help with the gas", and trust that people will use it properly. If they don't that's on them. Or maybe they need some extra cash to feed their family and your gas relief check helped them with that instead, and guess what, the gov't will still look good helping people.

It's much simpler than that - if people who "don't need" help get help, then that's government waste and that's worse than death.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

The huge issue Democrats are facing this Fall is inflation.

This isn't the same political environment that made just regular old no strings stimulus an easy sell. Politically they need to specifically attach the aid to something that is easy to defend.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Velocity Raptor posted:

SNAP would probably have been killed years ago if Walmart and Kroger didn't receive so much benefit from it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

What's particularly galling about it is: What's someone meant to do if they don't own a car and are given a gas card? Obviously they'll just find someone who will take it off their hands for some cold hard cash but apparently that's the most appalling thing in the world according to the folks who came up with that plan!

(I'm sure the answer to that would be more means-testing to make sure that those filthy public transportation users don't get that money and that's appalling in its own way)

It's a very obvious statement to make right now but it's not just gas prices that are rising and folks that don't own cars need just as much aid as those who do.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What the gently caress are even they going to send? A prepaid Visa card or is it going to be a gift card to a gas station in the area? lol if they send you a Sinclair gift card to you when there isn't a gas station that can take it around.

They could also do something about the prices themselves too, but lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

hooman posted:

Whether it is going to happen is immaterial to it being the only lever there is.

It's not even a lever.

Public blowback is more of a lever than another justice saying poo poo.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
Has a tax holiday been floated for gas yet? Seems easy enough to subsidize states who comply

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Meatball posted:

When manchin said "poor people spend relief money on drugs", I get the feeling he's not the only person who thinks that. The democrats have also internalized the republican "welfare queen" myth, and are terrified of helping someone who might not need it that bad.

Also, your bit about the relief package for the oil companies (even though they're getting more profit now than ever before) wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility either.

Edit:

Unless your last name is "LLC" or "Inc", then the sky's the limit.

Yeah, whether they believe the right wing rhetoric or not they absolutely believe it's more important to cater to the fact that Republicans believe it than give help. They may not think you're a welfare queen but it's still more important that a Republican doesn't think the Democrats are helping welfare queens. Even assuming everyone involved has only noble intentions the Democrats are still squandering the chance to do actual good because of someone else's fantasies. It's really frustrating.

Again, assuming everyone has perfectly noble but misguided intentions here this is also a great example of what "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" actually means. You'd rather have a good system that shot gun blasts relief over nothing because you can't make a perfect one that perfectly allocates who needs what.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 17, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1537835917452247041?s=20&t=sicYop9jEVldrAH_xCqB9w

quote:

The City of Uvalde and its police department are working with a private law firm to prevent the release of nearly any record related to the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in which 19 children and two teachers died, according to a letter obtained by Motherboard in response to a series of public information requests we made. The public records Uvalde is trying to suppress include body camera footage, photos, 911 calls, emails, text messages, criminal records, and more.

quote:

The letter makes clear, however, that the city and its police department want to be exempted from releasing a wide variety of records in part because it is being sued, in part because some of the records could include “highly embarrassing information,” in part because some of the information is “not of legitimate concern to the public,” in part because the information could reveal “methods, techniques, and strategies for preventing and predicting crime,” in part because some of the information may cause or may "regard … emotional/mental distress," and in part because its response to the shooting is being investigated by the Texas Rangers, the FBI, and the Uvalde County District Attorney.

quote:

Earlier this week, Motherboard reported on a similar letter sent to Paxton by the Texas Department of Public Safety, which wanted to suppress body-camera footage because it could expose “weaknesses” in police response to crimes that criminals could exploit. (The main seeming weakness in the Uvalde response was that police, in violation of standard policy and protocol, refused to risk their lives to protect children.)

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, whether they believe the right wing rhetoric or not they absolutely believe it's more important to cater to the fact that Republicans believe it than give help.

This, 100%.

No matter what pudding brained bullshit the Republicans come up with, no matter how transparent the bullshit, the democrats treat the charge in good faith, and reorient their entire process to respond to that charge.

Voters do it too, they say "oh, we can't do that, the Republicans will say X Y Z", when the Republicans will say that, or just make something up out of whole cloth if it's more appropriate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Velocity Raptor posted:

It has to pass congress or otherwise be an already allocated expense. Such a payout would also have to go through the IRS systems same as before, and the agency is already in a massive backlog pit.

Velocity Raptor posted:

One of the main limitations they're trying to work around, as discussed in the article, is that gas companies will just gouge prices further.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only immediate solution to that is price controls, and they really don't want to price-control themselves into not having enough gas to go around and long lines of cars on the news

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

No, that's the exact opposite of what she's saying.

First of all, the context: this was a speech to the American Constitution Society, a left-leaning legal organization that aims to be the progressive equivalent of the Federalist Society.

With that context in mind, I hope it makes a little more sense why she might go up on stage and tell them that unjust court rulings can be overturned and that they should continue their efforts to influence politics and the courts, rather than losing hope and giving in to the current Federalist-crafted victory.

She's not telling them to drop their pens and pick up guns instead, and she's not telling them that the Supreme Court is inherently monstrous. Those are rather drastic misreadings of her rather boring call for legal activists to continue their efforts to sway the existing power structures in much the same way as the Federalists did.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

So Ulvade police definitely must have done one, some, or all of the following:
1.) shot a school student
2.) said on camera “we should wait until he runs out of ammo from shooting children”
3.) were told on camera by superiors to not go in because “it’s not worth risking your life”

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
One thing the democrats can do to help with the gas pain is encouraging companies to let people work from home more. Recently, Biden has been letting more and more federal workers go remote. However, he has also pushed for workers to “fill our great downtowns again.”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

theCalamity posted:

One thing the democrats can do to help with the gas pain is encouraging companies to let people work from home more. Recently, Biden has been letting more and more federal workers go remote. However, he has also pushed for workers to “fill our great downtowns again.”

There is a whole thing of people concern trolling about our "poor cities now that workers are not commuting in" including an article about NYC.

Except, we could just rezone and convert offices to residential and thus add inventory, making it more affordable for people to live in cities instead of having to commute in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/29/nyregion/remote-work-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Office to residential conversion is frequently not feasible, especially with larger scale buildings. Where feasible, it tends to be so expensive that it's very difficult for the owner to justify. It's also definitely not something that can happen fast enough to address the current economic situation. Montgomery County, MD is known for being very forward-looking, as far as planning goes, and has been pursuing/considering this sort of conversion activity for some time; this report from a few years back goes into some of the elements involved (with the caveat that that county is irregular in some other ways that affect the calculus).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 17, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

No, that's the exact opposite of what she's saying.

First of all, the context: this was a speech to the American Constitution Society, a left-leaning legal organization that aims to be the progressive equivalent of the Federalist Society.

With that context in mind, I hope it makes a little more sense why she might go up on stage and tell them that unjust court rulings can be overturned and that they should continue their efforts to influence politics and the courts, rather than losing hope and giving in to the current Federalist-crafted victory.

She's not telling them to drop their pens and pick up guns instead, and she's not telling them that the Supreme Court is inherently monstrous. Those are rather drastic misreadings of her rather boring call for legal activists to continue their efforts to sway the existing power structures in much the same way as the Federalists did.

So keep doing what they've been doing since 2001, okay, how's that turned out? Dont be bummed just because it's only crushing defeat on the horizon while your remaining allies shrink away from all fights as they are being removed permanently from any real power?

Of course shes not calling the court inherently monstrous, it just does monstrous things a lot and nobody is able to stop them despite rulings becoming more nakedly partisan and cruel every year, and it exists above and is entirely separated from public input in any form. I'm just drawing my own conclusion there.

What this communicates to me is there are some real fuckin doozies about to get announced beyond Roe getting nuked

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

theCalamity posted:

This does next to nothing to help with those who feel gas pain the most, it would just be pandering even more to those who need less help.

If you need a reminder for how income relates to those who have jobs that had been done remotely (does not distinct between if possible/not allowed to):

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/03/working-from-home-during-the-pandemic.html

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 17, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalit posted:

This does next to nothing to help with those who feel gas pain the most, it would just be pandering even more to those who need less help.

If you need a reminder for how income relates to those who have jobs that can be done remotely:

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/03/working-from-home-during-the-pandemic.html

It would reduce demand which would at least in theory lower prices (lol). But just because it doesn't directly help everyone doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Has a tax holiday been floated for gas yet? Seems easy enough to subsidize states who comply

Yeah, but a lot of congressional Democrats are against it because it would only be 18 cents per gallon, they couldn't make sure that all of the benefit would be passed onto the consumers, and the federal highway funding comes from the gas tax and it is already running low. So, very unlikely to happen.

A few states are in the process of or talking about suspending their state level taxes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This makes me curious; does anyone know what the current onboarding numbers are looking like for electric vehicles? The fact that the supply chain is also affecting their production may be a constraining factor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Discendo Vox posted:

This makes me curious; does anyone know what the current onboarding numbers are looking like for electric vehicles? The fact that the supply chain is also affecting their production may be a constraining factor.

4% of new car sales last year in the U.S. were fully electric. 1% of total cars owned in the U.S. are electric.

Those figures don't count hybrid cars.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/14/evs-dominated-super-bowl-ads-but-only-9percent-of-passenger-car-sales.html

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Kalit posted:

If you need a reminder for how income relates to those who have jobs that had been done remotely (does not distinct between if possible/not allowed to):

It would still help and I didn't say it should be the only thing that they do. The whole situation is complicated and it will need multiple solutions. This is just one of the solutions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It would reduce demand which would at least in theory lower prices (lol). But just because it doesn't directly help everyone doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

Not to mention even if it didn't change the prices (I could definitely believe there'd still be a lot of gouging going on regardless) it'd still be good to lower gas consumption anyways.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fister Roboto posted:

Do you not see any potential downside to this that could heavily affect lower income households?

An easy example that I can think of would be public transit ridership and how it would affect their budget. I would be surprised if any transit systems are back to their pre-pandemic ridership numbers, but this encouragement for mostly people with cars/who can still afford gas would crash these numbers down again.

Obviously, the government should prioritize these systems more regardless, especially with a non-commute focus. But that is not the case/will not be the case anytime in the near future. So ridership numbers is what we have to leverage support/funding to try to expand these systems for everyone.

theCalamity posted:

It would still help and I didn't say it should be the only thing that they do. The whole situation is complicated and it will need multiple solutions. This is just one of the solutions.

Fair enough, but I fear it might hurt those who need it more than it helps, especially when focused on commuting patterns of office workers in a city. Or at least I assume most federal workers who could theoretically work remotely would fall into that category, which I could be wrong about.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 17, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ringo Star Get posted:

2.) said on camera “we should wait until he runs out of ammo from shooting children”
3.) were told on camera by superiors to not go in because “it’s not worth risking your life”

It might be all three but it's definitely at least #1

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why does "just work from home" always come off as "learn to code" to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ringo Star Get posted:

I’m increasingly convinced that it’s option 1

They circled the wagon incredibly quick after it came out that they just sat outside for 75 minutes.

We had police incompetence in the Parkland shooting as well, but the cops there at no point did anything like the Uvalde cops in terms of trying to just cover it all up and say nothing.